Griffith's "hallucination" (Volume 10)

During Griffith's purgatory under lock and key, he encounters a body of demons protruding through the wall. What's the actual context of this scene? I know it's another harbinger of the Eclipse, but I don't understand the part where they say "We are those who need your mercy"?

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Where did you get that translation? I never really saw him as Sir Griffith the Merciful... From my Dark Horse book, the "clump of demons" crawling from the wall say, "Oh, prince.... Prince of us, the unforgiven. We seek an audience with you. In time, at that place, we shall meet. We are kinsmen, oh blessed king of longing." I'm not sure what's closest to the original Japanese text, but that's what I got on me.

In the scene, Griffith is questioning his own sanity and recalling events of the past. I always saw that scene as sort of a tap on the shoulder from The God Hand, as another hint at what's in store. Of course, it's a very cryptic and creepy message delivered to Griffith at a time when it's not certain whether or not he could comprehend something so crazy. Perhaps, because he's lost his mind, the message was delivered at the right time.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
Where did you get that translation?

My guess is from an unreliable, illicit source. :azan:

Gobolatula said:
From my Dark Horse book, the "clump of demons" crawling from the wall say, "Oh, prince.... Prince of us, the unforgiven. We seek an audience with you. In time, at that place, we shall meet. We are kinsmen, oh blessed king of longing."

Small correction: the evil spirits only say the first part. The rest is from the God Hand.

Gobolatula said:
I always saw that scene as sort of a tap on the shoulder from The God Hand, as another hint at what's in store. Of course, it's a very cryptic and creepy message delivered to Griffith at a time when it's not certain whether or not he could comprehend something so crazy. Perhaps, because he's lost his mind, the message was delivered at the right time.

Yes, that is how I view it as well. Because Griffith is at the edge of insanity (and destined to become one of them), the God Hand is able to get through to him. I think whether he really understands the message or not at that time isn't very relevant since it's something geared more towards the reader.

Top Bottom