New on DVD thread.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Since there isn't a general thread about movies or dvds that are already out or just being released, well here ya go. Post your recent or favorite dvd purchases. I just picked the Office season 5 (u.s. version) which just came out a few days ago. Not as good as the first 3 seasons but still totally hilarious. I can't seem to watch enough of this show.

I buy only blu rays does that matter? Just did a whole slew of purchases for blu ray. Bought some of the DC animated universe movies/shows that I've been eyeing for awhile now. Purchased Green Lantern, Justice League a new frontier, Batman Gotham Knight, Superman Doomsday and Justice League season 1. I'm looking forward to my preorder for Superman Batman Public Enemies. It looks pretty sweet!

Oburi

All praise Grail
http://www.superherohype.com/news.php?id=8715

I know the feelings on Watchmen are pretty split here (understandably so) but the "Ultimate" edition dvd and bluray are due out November 10. This box set will include the directors cut of the film with the Tales of the Black Freighter animation cut back into the film as it is in the graphic novel. Some people don't enjoy animation cut into films, I think it'll enhance the film (think Kill Bill). The box set will also include hours of extras including the motion comic. I already have my copy pre-ordered and I suggest anyone who is even remotely interested to do the same since its a limited release of only 70,000 copies.

Also Drag Me to Hell unrated directors cut was released which I am very interested in getting and District 9 will be released in time for Christmas. Finally some good dvd releases!

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I'm looking forward to the Blu-ray releases of Inglourious Basterds, Star Trek and Up. They're all on my Christmas list and will hopefully be under my tree come Christmas morning. :guts:

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Kind of semi related but make sure you guys keep an eye out on those Black Friday sales! Iv heard via the interwebs that blueray players will go to around 50 bucks during that sale! :isidro:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Time for an old fashioned Griff rant! DVDs are a waste of money and space, don't buy them, except as gifts you don't want to put much thought into; unless, you enjoy cheap cases covered in security tape cluttering your life, repurchasing your favorite movies' "ultimate edition" every few years, and then your entire library every decade when the fake "new" format comes out.
Down with DVDs, up with digital copies! :mozgus:

Oburi said:
I know the feelings on Watchmen are pretty split here (understandably so)

I don't know about that, I thought the general consensus was that it was a talentless and abominable bastardization, while some people were also wrong. =)

Oburi said:
I think it'll enhance the film (think Kill Bill).

I'm trying to think of an example where it actually enhanced the film, and wasn't just a gimmick to appeal to these guys:

otaku.jpg

Don't mind me, I'm just in a mischievous mood. :troll:

Oburi

All praise Grail
I'll just completely ignore that Griffith and his mischievous little post...

Rhombaad said:
I'm looking forward to the Blu-ray releases of Inglourious Basterds, Star Trek and Up. They're all on my Christmas list and will hopefully be under my tree come Christmas morning. :guts:

Yea me too, all three of those will be on my Christmas list, as well as District 9. I also hope that an unrated version of Taken will be released soon too. It was released in Europe as a R rated movie but I think we got a cut version released over here.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Oburi said:
Yea me too, all three of those will be on my Christmas list, as well as District 9. I also hope that an unrated version of Taken will be released soon too. It was released in Europe as a R rated movie but I think we got a cut version released over here.

I haven't had a chance to see District 9 yet, so I'll probably rent it when it comes out. I'm not into blind purchasing no matter how good I hear a movie is, hehe. Yeah, I believe the theatrical version of Taken was edited, but I think the current version out on Blu-ray and DVD is the same as the European version. I could be wrong though.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Criterion will release a box set of 25 Akira Kurosawa films in December.

Featuring twenty-five of the films he made over the course of his fifty years in movies—from samurai epics to postwar noirs to Shakespeare adaptations—AK 100 is the most complete set of his works ever released in this country, and includes four rare films that have never been available on DVD.
A very, VERY nice collection, but still not even close to complete. I've been waiting for Criterion to release Dersu Uzala on DVD for years now, and this was the best opportunity to do so, since there are about 5 films here that have never been released stateside.

Kurosawasetstill.jpg

http://www.criterion.com/boxsets/678?utm_medium=email&utm_source=CampaignMonitor&utm_content=218028833&utm_campaign=the_criterion_collection_newsletter-november_2009+_+hkliik

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
01010111 said:
Yeah that's pretty awesome, although since it's the Criterion collection, expect it to cost around A MILLION DOLLARS.
The price is shown in the link: $315. Which really isnt bad considering most of the movies alone cost between $30-40. I don't have much incentive to pick up this set though since I already own most of these movies.

Hey that really isn't too bad if you break it up film by film, but when you can get the ENTIRE MONTY PYTHON'S FLYING CIRCUS FOR LESS THAN HALF!!!!

God I wish I made some serious bank.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I haven't seen Terminator Salvation but that does suck that I won't be able to see the directors cut on dvd, I hope that's a new trend.

Speaking of Monty Python, IFC is playing all the old episodes including a lengthy multi episode documentary about it. I haven't watched it yet but it's on demand and I see it on all the time. Worth checking out.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
896911001201.jpg
20th Century Boys: The beginning of the End is available(officially) from Viz now in the US! :guts:
Great manga, and extraordinary adaptation!
The second movie will be available in February as well and the third hopefully soon after that since I missed my chance to see it in theaters when it was playing in San Francisco! :mozgus:

Oburi

All praise Grail
I bought the 2 disc edition of Inglorious Bastards. THe special features aren't all that amazing but there is a great interview with Tarantino and Brad Pitt. Its about 20 minutes long and its really funny to watch Brad and Quentin go back and forth. They get all excited and give some really good insight on the film. Brad Pitt even hints at a sequel (though Tarantino didn't look all that enthusiastic when mentioned). Still though, great interview. If you like the film go for the special edition without a doubt.

So....Who gots their copy of Avatar already? :badbone: You may be surprised that I do not. Probably for reasons as everyone else on these board. (Apart from the people who simply hated it in the first place.) I would rather own the special edition with all the extras. (Here I am living my own "custom title" stereotype.) Well if anyone is going to bring it up, it might as well be me at this point. hehehe :serpico: Now, we just have to put up with walmart displaying their TV's with Avatar content, like they did for 4 months with Finding Nemo when it came out. (At least around these parts.)

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Death May Die said:
So....Who gots their copy of Avatar already? :badbone: You may be surprised that I do not. Probably for reasons as everyone else on these board. (Apart from the people who simply hated it in the first place.) I would rather own the special edition with all the extras. (Here I am living my own "custom title" stereotype.) Well if anyone is going to bring it up, it might as well be me at this point. hehehe :serpico: Now, we just have to put up with walmart displaying their TV's with Avatar content, like they did for 4 months with Finding Nemo when it came out. (At least around these parts.)

I'm putting the Avatar Blu-ray on my birthday list so that I don't actually have to double dip and can enjoy the film without having to wait for the special edition later this year (which I'll probably put on my Christmas list, hehe).

X

Xem

Meh, knowing my step-father he'll buy a 3DTV eventually... I'll wait for an Avatar release then and just go to his place to watch it again. It was meant to be seen that way, imho. I haven't been tempted to buy Avatar in the least really, and the few people I know that have are all pretty angry it wasn't released with a 3D option... even considering the glasses are upwards of $80 and with little to no market.

The latest DVD's I bought were Public Enemies, Star Trek, Watchmen, The Hangover, District 9, The Wrestler, Body of Lies, and Inglorious Basterds... gotta love how rental stores are going out of business these days. ~1-2 dollars a DVD. :ganishka:

I also picked up full sets of Cowboy Bebop (along with the movie) and Samurai Champloo around the same time. I'm a sucker for Shinichirō Watanabe.

Top Bottom