Volume 34 cover

yesmilord

千年王国
Rhombaad said:
Do you know how much it was for a subscription? I'd like to go down to my local Kinokuniya and order the 20th anniversary issue in addition to starting a subscription.

I didn't ask, but seeing as each issue is only around 300yen, your wallet shouldn't break a sweat.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
yesmilord, I took your advice and went down to the San Jose Kinokuniya and got my hands on vol 34. Unfortunately when I pointed at the little "20 anniversary" slip they had wrapped around the cover with the picture of YA and asked if they carried it, they checked, checked on their computer, and said they didn't have it. Perhaps you and I can do some business...? I'll PM you with the details.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
yesmilord said:
I actually had to special order it though; it seems like Young Animal must not be popular enough in the area.

It's more likely just because YA is a small-circulation magazine compared the big mainstream Japanese titles, so they must not have a high demand for it. Special order is the way to go.

yesmilord said:
I would totally ask for a subscription, but not being able to read Japanese kinda kills some of the excitement.

Well that's why we do translations here. Do the right thing guys. Besides, think about how much your stack of old magazines will be worth in 10 years. :slan:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
yesmilord said:
I didn't ask, but seeing as each issue is only around 300yen, your wallet shouldn't break a sweat.

True. I saw subscriptions going for about $300 on www.sasugabooks.com, which is way out of my price range, so hopefully that's not the case with Kinokuniya. If they stick to the 300 yen price tag it shouldn't be too bad. I'll check it out this weekend.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
SrCraneo said:
I think I'll go buy my vol 34 tomorrow in SF. Whish me luck! :void:
At the Japantown Kinokuniya? That's where I ordered mine from, and it only took 2 days to get there. I also got my Berserk Art Book there a while back, when I was visiting the city for a day. You should pick that up too if you have the money, you won't regret it.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I got me a year-long subscription to YA finally. At the San Fransisco Japantown Kinokuniya. As an extra bonus, I get to make a trip to San Fran every other week.

EDIT:
I simply asked if I could get a subscription, and the nice lady helped set it up for me. It cost me around $140ish for a year-long subscription. They'll notify me by email (I believe) when each new issue arrives in store. Then all I do is zip by, show them my receipt, smile, take my magazine, and head back home.

Darklink286 said:
At the Japantown Kinokuniya? That's where I ordered mine from, and it only took 2 days to get there. I also got my Berserk Art Book there a while back, when I was visiting the city for a day. You should pick that up too if you have the money, you won't regret it.

Yes :guts: Thanks, I think I'll probably pick up the art book too :griffnotevil:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
My copy of 34 is sitting at my local UPS warehouse ... and theyre closed on Sundays ... :mozgus:

Bummer man. :sad:

My copy arrived yesterday afternoon. I love the posters inside, especially the closeup on Guts wearing the Berserk's Armor. The little illustration on the inside of the jacket is pretty funny. I won't spoil it for people who haven't received their copy yet. I can't wait to go down to Kinokuniya and set up a YA subscription this week!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Got my 34 today. I didn't find any page additions or any art changes after looking through it page-by-page. It sure was a quick read, but easily the most visually stunning single volume in the series. It's been mentioned before, but the preview at the end of the volume shows page 06-07 from ep. 307. Sure is nice to see Falconia in volume-quality!

Rhombaad said:
he little illustration on the inside of the jacket is pretty funny. I won't spoil it for people who haven't received their copy yet.
Truly, it is awesome and hilarious. I somewhat predicted correctly what it'd be too, just missed one KEY detail. :ganishka:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Truly, it is awesome and hilarious. I somewhat predicted correctly what it'd be too, just missed one KEY detail. :ganishka:

I have to concur: it's fucking great. :guts: A nice way to say... goodbye. :judo:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Jaze1618 said:
Can someone put in spoiler tags what it is?

The Kinokuniya in Seattle should have Vol. 34 in a couple of weeks if you don't want to order on-line. They're much cheaper at the bookstore anyway. It's where I plan to finish up my collection of the Japanese volumes. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I actually ordered mine from Kinokuniya in Seattle. They had it shipped within about 5 days of my purchase.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
I actually ordered mine from Kinokuniya in Seattle. They had it shipped within about 5 days of my purchase.

Nice! They're either getting them in stock much faster than usual or they had their supplier ship a copy directly to you.

Walter said:
Purchase the manga :miura:

I do purchase the manga ,US only but Darkhorse doesn't use jackets, and unless this is the first volume to include an illustration in the Jacket, I don't know if Darkhorse has ever included jacket illustrations in their berserk release. If they do, then I will happily stop caring for the next 6 months and just be surprised when I get my own copy.

I live in Seattle so if everyone here really wants to keep it a secret I can just walk to uwajimaya and see for myself if I ever wanted to know bad enough.

People have already posted spoilers for the posters of volume 34. I don't see what the big deal is with the jacket illustration. Obviously I am having some kind of emotional reaction to your comment Walter as I am writnig a post that is easily 2x as large as what is necessary.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
No need to be emotional. But the volume is only like, $8 at Kinokuniya. Small price to pay for it.

I'm with Jaze, i'm intrigued by what's in there, unfortunately for me, there is nowhere I can go to spy on any Japanese volumes as I live in England where manga is scarce and generally more pricey than the US

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
JezzaX said:
I'm with Jaze, i'm intrigued by what's in there, unfortunately for me, there is nowhere I can go to spy on any Japanese volumes as I live in England where manga is scarce and generally more pricey than the US
I don't have any doubt that you guys are curious. But one of the perks of buying the volumes is being privy to all the little additions you don't get anywhere else. Not that you should need any, but think of it as incentive to buy the manga.

We take every opportunity to encourage fans to purchase the manga and support the author. When a new volume comes out, fans who have been diligently following the series are expected to purchase it. I don't care if you live in Ethiopia -- there's really absolutely no excuse why anyone can't plunk down $6-8 (+shipping) every 8 months to buy the new volume. You don't have to buy it locally. Purchase it online or through a broker and have it shipped to you.

so now that we're talking about purchase... Can one of you guys tell me a site where I can understand a word of so I can buy this vol.? :farnese:
I don't speak a word of Japanese (yet! I'm learning :azan: .. eventually...) and it's the first time I try to purchase a jap. volume like this, so I'm a little bit (a hell lot) lost.
Any help would be appreciated! :serpico:

edit: I already tried Kinokunya, but they don't ship to Brazil and the web store doesn't seem to have #34 -.-

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Lara Skadi said:
so now that we're talking about purchase... Can one of you guys tell me a site where I can understand a word of so I can buy this vol.? :farnese:
http://www.sasugabooks.com/product_info.php?products_id=50757

edit: I already tried Kinokunya, but they don't ship to Brazil and the web store doesn't seem to have #34 -.-
It's available. How sure are you about their no Brazil policy?

http://bookweb.kinokuniya.co.jp/guest/cgi-bin/wshoseaohb.cgi?W-NIPS=9984956644&AREA=02&LANG=J

Anyway, I don't know much Japanese either but I figured out how to order it from here. Just put it in your cart with the menu to the right, then during your order form you can check a box that will ensure it is shipped to you instead of made available for pickup.

Additional options include:

Buy Berserk JP volumes at nippon-export.com
Buy Berserk JP volumes at amazon.co.jp
Buy Berserk JP volumes at yesasia.com

You can also try www.nippon-export.com
If they don't list the latest volume listed on their site you can always ask. It's common so they should be able to easily get it for you.

Walter said:
http://www.sasugabooks.com/product_info.php?products_id=50757
It's available. How sure are you about their no Brazil policy?
Weird, the search engine didn't found volumes up to 30 or so :s who knows...
well, it's said in the site "However, you must be a resident of either the U.S. or Canada." u.u

Anyway, I don't know much Japanese either but I figured out how to order it from here. Just put it in your cart with the menu to the right, then during your order form you can check a box that will ensure it is shipped to you instead of made available for pickup.
That makes sense, thanks :casca: (though I'll try the some of the others you listed - and thanks for that too :serpico:)

edit:
Dembol, you posted while i was writting :s The site you gave was already listed by Walter, but thanks for the tip anyway :)

Top Bottom