What are you watching? (television thread)

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Re: Monster, by Naoki Urasawa

Darklink286 said:
One of my favorite and most recommended manga/anime is going to be airing on the SyFy(stupid name change) channel starting tomorrow, Monday October 12th at 11:00PM and 11:30PM! :isidro:
I've been waiting forever for this to get dubbed, and my dream has finally come true.
Everyone should at least give it a try if you can, and if it gets enough discussion in here, maybe it deserves it's own thread? :troll:
For everyone who's already watched it or read the manga, spoiler tags are your friends. :guts:
It's a long series, at 74 episodes, but it's worth the investment in time, and SyFy will be airing two episodes a night every Monday.

I tuned in to Monster as recommended and really enjoyed it, as you know. Looking forward to next week's episodes and what going to happen to Dr. Tenma, his patients, and
to find out what he and they have to do with those murders! Anyway, I was glad to see those people go, they were asshole.

And Tenma's career is going about as well as Guts' life, and just because he believes in first come, first serve. :judo:

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Re: Monster, by Naoki Urasawa

グリフィス said:
I tuned in to Monster as recommended and really enjoyed it, as you know. Looking forward to next week's episodes and what going to happen to Dr. Tenma, his patients, and
to find out what he and they have to do with those murders! Anyway, I was glad to see those people go, they were asshole.

And Tenma's career is going about as well as Guts' life, and just because he believes in first come, first serve. :judo:
Nice, I'm glad that you enjoyed it! The first two episodes are a bit slow compared to the rest of the series, so if it's hooked you already so far, then you're in for an awesome ride. :isidro: You'll soon learn a lot more about Johan and Anna and meet some really great characters. Regarding Tenma's career, it has it's major ups and downs just like Guts' life does, but you'll see that soon enough.
Also, you can watch the episodes after they are aired on SyFy here: http://www.manga.com/titles/monster?ref=latest

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Damn I never finished the manga! I'm looking forward to hearing this is english and I may even buy the DVD boxset which has the first 15 episodes in December. This is one of my faves!

Currently watching south park, how I met your mother (surprisingly good show) big bang theory (I guess it's ok ) and it's always sunny that's about it looking at other peoples list makes me miss watching hbo maybe I should get it again.

X

Xem

I'm about 2/3's of the way through Season 3 of The Wire and I'm completely hooked. I can't escape, and I don't want to. Reel me in! (I feel like a Dark Horse summary atm.) A lot of my friends tried to wane me away from Season 2, but I loved it. The whole Union vs State Government was actually really intriguing to me.
Right now my only grief is how many of the "good" characters get killed. Wallace and to an extent D'Angelo really bothered me. It's good that McNulty is interested in D'Angelo's "suicide", I really hope that's foreshadowing something awesome. Also, Omar has become a favorite of mine. His character just seems so foreign to me. I mean, living in the US, I understand gangs, drug dealers, guns everywhere, seriously corrupt politicians, etc. But a gay homicidal maniac with morals who steals from heroin dealers and gives back to the poor? THAT was unexpected. And for his character to still be alive, and on top of that actually feeling bad about being a murderer = WIN in my book. (Not mention he wears all black and carries a big weapon.)

I still really love Bubbles, but he needs to clean up... he breaks my heart over and over. I don't know how much love left I have to give.

I'm still into a lot of other shows right now, but The Wire is top dog, no question. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
I'm about 2/3's of the way through Season 3 of The Wire and I'm completely hooked. I can't escape, and I don't want to. Reel me in! (I feel like a Dark Horse summary atm.) A lot of my friends tried to wane me away from Season 2, but I loved it. The whole Union vs State Government was actually really intriguing to me.
I thought season 2 was the weakest of the bunch, but I know others who say it's their favorite. It's controversial because it deviates from the main story arc.

I still really love Bubbles, but he needs to clean up... he breaks my heart over and over. I don't know how much love left I have to give.

I'm still into a lot of other shows right now, but The Wire is top dog, no question. :guts:
Stick with it. And dude, spoil tag your own posts when you disclose major spoiler material... :femto:

I've currently got the Dubbed version of monster on the boil to see how it compares to the Japanese version, which I loved to bits :guts:

As to what I'm watching, it's mainly stuff I've missed on the BBC and am catching up on (Life, Masterchef, general BBC4 documentaries). I can't say I'm actively following anything though :(

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Manjou said:
I've currently got the Dubbed version of monster on the boil to see how it compares to the Japanese version, which I loved to bits :guts:
What do you think of the dub so far? Personally I think it's alright, but not crazy great. Johan sounds a bit too sinister to me, like he's trying too hard, while the Japanese voice actor had more of a subtle, yet sinister voice.

I'm not watching any anime at the moment but as far as tv shows go, I am a secret fan of Glee and Heroes and publicly waiting for Damages to return.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Holy shit I totally forgot to remind everyone about the Scream awards 2009 on Spike tv. Its the only awards show worth watching these days and kicks the shit outta the Academy Awards. I just tuned in for Quentin Tarantino giving an award George A. Romero who mentioned that he's got another zombie flick in the works called Survival of the Dead. Don't get much better than that, hope you guys watch!

Edit- johny Depp introducing Keith Richards and Eli Roth with Jamie King showing the audience the most gory scenes in horror movies this year. It was sick!

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
A show I cannot get enough of is Parks and Recreation. Amy Poehler plays such a lovable goofball of a main character. It's made by the same dudes who make the American version of The Office. It's also got a similar "documentary" theme to it.

Also, a show that keeps getting better and better is It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I couldnt get into that show. I don't find Amy Poehler to be as funny as other people do, and the style just seems like its trailing the success of the Office.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Oburi said:
I couldnt get into that show. I don't find Amy Poehler to be as funny as other people do, and the style just seems like its trailing the success of the Office.
vlcsnap-1002341.jpg

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Someone's talking about Monster. I've sat through the whole thing one year ago. Here's my review:

The story has amazing elements that could've turned the series into a masterpiece if it wasn't handled by a self-indulgent, moralistic author. There's an annoying necessity to explain every single thing with a moral behind it, specially in the later episodes, where the viewer is fed with repetitive unecessary explanations for actions that seemed thrilling and misterious in the premise.
What made me scornful of the series was the fact that a mystery/noir supernatural thriller gradually was turned into some moralistic "Disney" story where every act of evil needs to be justified and explained, where villains had to do evil "because they had to" so that the average viewer feels more comfortable knowing there is no such thing as "pure evil" and everyone if you look deep enough has a good heart. That is the apparent message that the series tries - not with much success - to hide behind it's "dark" and "gritty" mask, easy to fool the ignorant and easy to impress viewer. The characters were well fleshed out but the story started to loose its "bigger than life" motif towards the end. It got even cheaper in the conclusion, that frankly, was lame and unconvincing.
I was disappointed because i really wanted to enjoy it. It had a great start, but the author kept thinking i was a dumb viewer and i needed further more non-intriguing exposition. It was a boring summer, and i didn't have better plans. :schnoz:

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
NightCrawler said:
Someone's talking about Monster. I've sat through the whole thing one year ago. Here's my review:

The story has amazing elements that could've turned the series into a masterpiece if it wasn't handled by a self-indulgent, moralistic author [.....] It was a boring summer, and i didn't have better plans. :schnoz:
From the YouTube Thread:
NightCrawler said:
Ugh, [Mighty Boosh] season 3 clips...
Season 3 was shit.
Season 2 was mildly entertaining.
Season 1 was amazing.
Sorry, sir, but I question your judgment. I may not agree with what you say, and I will fight to the death for what you say to be unjustly censored. I believe I will start watching Monster based on DarkLink's reccomendation.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Gobolatula said:
From the YouTube Thread:Sorry, sir, but I question your judgment. I may not agree with what you say, and I will fight to the death for what you say to be unjustly censored. I believe I will start watching Monster based on DarkLink's reccomendation.

Just a question, when did you start watching The Mighty Boosh, in which season?
Because if you seen them in order you would know that season 3 is just a parody of what the show used to be. It was rushed and filled with rehashed jokes/themes. It's common opinion among regular viewers of the show, that it has decreased in quality with each passing season.
But by all means, watch the whole 74 episodes of Monster.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
NightCrawler said:
Just a question, when did you start watching The Mighty Boosh, in which season?
Because if you seen them in order you would know that season 3 is just a parody of what the show used to be. It was rushed and filled with rehashed jokes/themes. It's common opinion among regular viewers of the show, that it has decreased in quality with each passing season.
But by all means, watch the whole 74 episodes of Monster.
I started from season 1. Season 3 might not be the best, but I wouldn't call it anything near "shit." And I get what you're saying about the reused jokes. But the thing is, there's a lot of humor to get out of some of those characters/themes. Hm, now that I think about it, the only original character from season 3 that stands out to me is Crack Fox. And he is goddamn frighteningly hilarious. And, I don't think it's possible to have too much Tony Harrison / Saboo / The Board of Shamans. Luckily, they cut out Old Gregg from season 3. Originally, Howard's lovely Indian crush in the party episode was really Old Gregg in disguise. That woulda ruined a much needed happy ending for Howard. Oh, and Vince & Howard's kiss... Legendary.

Have you seen the Boosh Live DVD? Their stage show is fucking great. The only Boosh I haven't immersed myself in yet is the BBC radio shows. I should get on that.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Just watched the second to last episode of Curb. This season was the weakest, I think. Most of the episodes seemed forced and not as naturally funny as all the other seasons. Maybe he was trying to hard, idk. But I will say this last episode was absolutely hilarious. I was laughing so hard, especially at the end, it was god awful funny. And seeing the Seinfeld cast on the set doing their thing was great. And I couldn't believe the bit they did with Michael Richards. They
basically have him flip out at a black guy and people standing by start recording him on their phones, basically poking fun at how he had his little racism "freakout" a while back. He even yells out something like " I wish there was something I could call you to make you as angry as I am"! I really surprised at that.
Television usually doesn't shock me but that was pretty edgy.

Oburi said:
Just watched the second to last episode of Curb. This season was the weakest, I think. Most of the episodes seemed forced and not as naturally funny as all the other seasons. Maybe he was trying to hard, idk.

Yeah I felt that too, especially on that Jesus painting episode. The stuff that happened to Larry during the episode just didn't blend naturally at the end like it usually does, it felt too staged. Well, it's still better than all other comedy series I tried to watch.

And I couldn't believe the bit they did with Michael Richards.

The part he opens the door to Leon is great too. Man, I laughed hard when Leon teaches him how a Bar Mitzvah works!

:ganishka:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Whelp, the final episode of Curb just ended, and it really was great. Not what I expected though, it wasn't nearly as grand or epic as I thought, it ended in a simple, yet perfectly ironic way that the show does in it's best episodes. The last two episodes this season were great, some of the best ever, unfortunately those were the only decent episodes this season, they rest were like filler, just in the way of the final. I'm very happy though,
Larry is back with Cheryl, finally. Even though this isn't really one of those shows were you gab on about who will end up with who, I'm still glad Larry won Cheryl back, it's so bittersweet
:guts:

And check this out. After the show ended I caught glimpse of a new WWII series called The Pacific. It's from the creators of Band of Brothers, which was simply amazing when it first aired, seriously I have never seen such production on a miniseries before. If you haven't seen it, think Saving Privet Ryan spread out over an epic 14 hour series. This looks very promising. Coming March 2010.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noUJHcdX6KU

Top Bottom