Dragon Age: Origins

Oburi

All praise Grail
I've been thinking about getting it and mentioned it a few times on the boards. You sound like you know more about it than I do so let me ask you this...

...Why should I get Dragon Age? Convince me.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
If it keeps getting good reviews then yeah, I'll probably get it. And I'll even try to get the collector's edition so I can have the Mass Effect 2 bonus. Between that, Murasama and Assassin's Creed 2 I have a feeling my wife's going to kill me. :SK:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Nomad said:
Shame there's no online multiplayer option.

Yes indeed. Biggest disappointment as far as I'm concerned. But I guess Bioware's sticking to the classics. The people were asking for a new Baldur's Gate, and they gave us just that.

Anyway, I'm currently hesitating on what version to take (Steam, EA's downloading platform or a real box).

EDIT: Bought it from Steam.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Aazealh said:
Yes indeed. Biggest disappointment as far as I'm concerned. But I guess Bioware's sticking to the classics. The people were asking for a new Baldur's Gate, and they gave us just that.
Indeed. They did announced plans for multiplayer DLC, but frankly I'm no big fan of add ons. We'll see what happens :SK:

It has gotten great reviews. I shouldn't have to convince you if you want it then you will get it if you don't then you don't =p. But over all it seems to be like an awesome world created from the ground up. And I really like the fact that your party members will feel alive since some may hate that you killed guy x but others will think you did the right thing by killing guy x. And then it could lead into party members fighting or hating each other. Didnt get my copy yet but I will be getting it later today.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
With all the good press this game's getting so far, on top of me never having given either Baldur's Gate title a fair chance, I may end up plunking down $50 for this on Steam. Just too bad me and Aaz can't party up ... :sad:

I know this sounds shallow, but one thing has always bothered me with this kind of RPG -- dice rolls. I played through Neverwinter Nights a few years ago, and that bugged me a lot. I don't care if I had a bad dice roll, if I swing a massive bastard sword at a bat, its "armor class" isn't going to do shit in real life. :guts:

I'll definitely get it. Given that i can only play a couple of hours per week these days, this one might last a very long time.

One small thing is there though that i could go crazy about: It seems that enemies level up as you do.
Seriously, i don't like this. i didn't like the system in Oblivion either.
I hope it's not too extreme, for if i need say ten swings to kill a bear at level 5, and the same bear lasts the same ten swings with level 20, there is not really a feeling of getting stronger.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gaahl said:
One small thing is there though that i could go crazy about: It seems that enemies level up as you do.
Seriously, i don't like this. i didn't like the system in Oblivion either.
I hope it's not too extreme, for if i need say ten swings to kill a bear at level 5, and the same bear lasts the same ten swings with level 20, there is not really a feeling of getting stronger.
That kind of bothered me when I was thinking about it as well, however just because they LEVEL along with you doesn't account for any new skills or special equipment you acquire along the way. You can still get a sharp edge against enemies if you have the right weapon or skill.

In any case, BioWare released mod tools for the game already. So if you really don't like this aspect, there will soon be options. If you know Oblivion, you know how many different mods there were to change the scalability of the game's difficulty, etc.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Just too bad me and Aaz can't party up ... :sad:

Damn right. Let's hope a multiplayer component will be added soon, either through DLC or community mods.

Walter said:
I know this sounds shallow, but one thing has always bothered me with this kind of RPG -- dice rolls. I played through Neverwinter Nights a few years ago, and that bugged me a lot. I don't care if I had a bad dice roll, if I swing a massive bastard sword at a bat, its "armor class" isn't going to do shit in real life. :guts:

But the agile bat might dodge your lumbering blow with a saving throw! :troll:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
Damn right. Let's hope a multiplayer component will be added soon, either through DLC or community mods.
I wonder if they didn't include the multiplayer feature for fear of a bad launch, similar to what MMOs experience.

But the agile bat might dodge your lumbering blow with a saving throw! :troll:
:ganishka: Damned D&D logic...

Hour in as a human noble and it is really good so far, tho my only gripe is how they are handleing the dlc it took a half hour to install the game then download and install all the bonus stuff that came with the ce. Dont like the fact you go through the game it self but its ok i guess. I am just afraid how they handle party memebers dying during battle hope they dont die for good.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Breed1Ghost said:
my only gripe is how they are handleing the dlc it took a half hour to install the game then download and install all the bonus stuff that came with the ce.
Welcome to BioWare DLC for PC. We've been dealing with it since 2007 with Mass Effect.

Well, Dragon Age is now in my Steam shopping cart. It's only a matter of time before I click PURCHASE. PURCHASED.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Breed1Ghost said:
I am just afraid how they handle party memebers dying during battle hope they dont die for good.

You probably know that by now, but they don't. I tested it yesterday just before I stopped playing. They're revived after the battle but keep a penalty under the form of an "injury" that can only be removed through special kits or spells.

I'm not far in at all (and so I'll appreciate that people don't post spoilers in the clear) but it was instantly apparent to me that the game really benefits from having cast aside the D&D shackles that weighted its elders down (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights).

For info I'm currently playing a Human Warrior and privileging two-handed weapon skills.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
My guy is a warrior as well, but im focusing on shield talents so i can be an effective tank. Here's my character if anyone's interested: http://social.bioware.com/playerprofile.php?char_id=6522&nid=2281167163&game=dragonage&display=character

I'm loving it so far. It's easily the most polished BioWare game I've played. The conversations aren't boring, for one. I noticed last night there isn't an option to advance the dialogues, and that isn't even a problem with me because I actually WANT to hear what the NPCs have to say. That's an accomplishment :carcus:

Some Steam stats I pulled tonight. Top 5 games played on the network:
Current Players Peak Today Game

32,194 86,760 Counter-Strike: Source
24,292 67,147 Counter-Strike
17,748 20,800 Dragon Age: Origins
15,849 20,546 Team Fortress 2
10,894 15,329 Left 4 Dead
That makes it THE game to play right now. On Steam CS is perpetually #1, and nothing will dethrone it since it requires Steam to be played. Dragon Age, however, is just a humble RPG. It's very impressive that it can claim that top spot.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
A few screenshots I took this morning. Fun game. :guts:

EVILEYE.jpg

StickAround.jpg

MIGHTYBLOW.jpg

BloodMagic.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Man your guy is 10x more badass than mine. Seriously. I'll post some screens later, but I AM VERY IMPRESSED by this executioner. Greatest swordsman in the land :isidro:

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
The graphics do look good but where is the emotion in the face? I would think that when you potentially get cleaved by a giant sword that you would not have such a docile face. :azan:

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
The graphics do look good but where is the emotion in the face? I would think that when you potentially get cleaved by a giant sword that you would not have such a docile face. :azan:

Maybe he had accepted his fate? :ganishka:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Actually, it could be a member of the Tranquil, a type of mage that have had their emotions bound. But either way, the game really isnt meant to be played from such cinematic angles like this, so you won't notice small things like facial emotion when youre duking it out.

Anyway:

dragonage-thefade.jpg

Are you sure we're playing the same game, Aaz? :void:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji said:

I think I slashed him a few times before that shot so I guess he was just already dead. :ganishka: But really, like Walter said, the game's not played at that angle anyway so it's kind of moot.

Walter said:
http://skullknight.net/images/dragonage-thefade.jpg
Are you sure we're playing the same game, Aaz? :void:

I think so. :badbone:

FadeD.jpg

More impaling:

StickAround2.jpg

And this one is just for you, Saiya:

DesireDemon.jpg

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Blah, I dont even have enough time (or money for that matter) for any more games. I feel like that stupid meme.

"Yo dawg, I heard you like games, so we put games inside your games while you game" :troll:

I got games coming out of my ass!

Top Bottom