The effects of causality

I really want to avoid a "who would beat who" speculation, but I was wondering what are everyone's thoughts about Griffith losing his duel against Guts because of the rules of causality? I had this thought several months back, but couldn't get to the internet so my terminology is a bit rusty. What I am getting at is did 'fate' cause Griffith's sword to snap in that duel which eventually leads to him sacrificing everyone?
If I am way off I ask that you do be gentle. :p

I'll be nice and inform you that it's 'Causality' and not 'Casualty'. I think some of the more experienced posters will come along and answer your question more in depth than I can soon enough.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
If your question is whether Griffith only lost because a supernatural force cheated so that his sword would break, the answer is no. However the fact Guts was a superior swordsman and in a position of trust, the fact he had overheard Griffith's talk to Charlotte and desired to leave, and the fact Griffith couldn't endure it and had to turn it into a duel, all of these can be seen as part of a careful plan. A plan that was put in place by a superior power, through causality (keep in mind "causality" itself is just a principle, not an entity with a will of its own).

That also includes the fact Guts was recruited by Griffith in the first place, the way he was recruited, as well as Griffith's ambition and his endless streak of victories in every domain. Not to mention being caught with Charlotte and thrown into jail, which was the actual end of the game for him. He was brought to the top very quickly only to fall down harder, just so he would sacrifice. All those events can be seen as set up and manipulated through causality. I'm not elaborating too much here but if you're curious a simple search should allow you to find older threads discussing the topic.

On a side note, as JezzaX pointed out the term is "causality". I've fixed the spelling in your post but please mind it in the future.

Well said Aaz. Griffith lost to Guts because Guts was the superior swordsman. Obviously if he had never challenged Guts( vol 8 ) he would not have lost to him. It is because of Causality that he both challenged Guts, and that Guts was the superior swordsman by that time.

Top Bottom