Inoue's Artworks Thread (Vagabond spoilers)

Since the Painting with Water thread is dedicated to fan creations, I took the liberty to make a thread where we can discuss Inoue's art (not necessarily focused on Vagabond), post some stuff or just appreciate it!

I'll start with something based on Aaz's cool thread, Guts' face: graphic evolution and variations.

The Amazing Musashi's face: graphic evolution and variations!

84417565.jpg
27925283.jpg
63409279.jpg
54810259.jpg
63263755.jpg
23290427.jpg
87225453.jpg
14869692.jpg
83615712.jpg
90678736.jpg
10914478.jpg
32419833.jpg
81295292.jpg
54742231.jpg
86867812.jpg
63011863.jpg
86404682.jpg
69921685.jpg
52477951.jpg
62713351.jpg
47158542.jpg
91347941.jpg
97907087.jpg
18576439.jpg
81350844.jpg

That's one face per non-Kojiro volume, 1-13, and then 21-32!

And now some stuff that's not so easy to find scans of, and I never found them selling anywhere except Italy.

largeanimepaperscanstak.jpg

largeanimepaperscanstakj.jpg

Piercing: he made this between Slam Dunk and Vagabond, it's a one-shot.

babyad.jpg

Nope, it's not Ueda! Baby Face, also a one-shot. This one kinda reminds me of City Hunter, the first manga he ever worked on as an assistant to Tsukasa Hojo.

largeanimepaperscanstak.jpg

This drawing he made as a tribute to another mangaka whose name and work I completely forgot over time, although I'm pretty sure it's from Shonen Jump. I used to know the name and I also had this scan in HUGE quality, but I lost it. If you have it, post up!

Now it's time for something weird. The infamous Inoue Manga Scandals!

People started to accuse him of plagiarism because he used famous pictures as reference for some scenes in Slam Dunk. Big fucking deal, I personally think it's awesome. Look at Miura, is his artwork any less beautiful and original even though we know he uses places and other things that exist in our world as inspiration or reference?

You can check out the pics here: http://www.geocities.jp/slamdunk_trace/
There's more, but it's a bit more difficult to find.

As for real plagiarism, there was a mangaka accused of copying several Slam Dunk panels to her own basketball manga.
She even admitted it and apologized. Her manga was canceled and her career, destroyed.
I can't feel sorry, though. Check out the news, but I couldn't find pics comparing the panels. Post them if you find them!: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2005-10-19/kodansha-and-suetsugu-apologies

Anyway, I'm sharing stuff I didn't see around here, but please, feel free to post and discuss anything you feel like about his art.

Oh, and if you think of a good name for the thread, share it! This one is too generic, isn't it? Also, should the thread have the spoiler warning or not? I honestly don't know.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
I found this one where Inoue did the artwork but not the story. The name of it is "Chameleon Jail"
You can see Inoue's name in read there. from the wiki site it says this was done in 1989.

Click to enlarge

Chameleon_Jail_transformation.jpg

Th3Branded0ne said:
I found this one where Inoue did the artwork but not the story. The name of it is "Chameleon Jail"

He recently (recent as in not in the 80s) made an updated cover to Chameleon Jail; I could only find this little pic on I.T. Planning.

jailnew1.gif

A bigger version would be most appreciated, it looks amazing, kinda the style he used for Lost Odyssey's characters.

Another favorite I can only find on I.T. Planning is this poster he made for the 2008 remake of Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress, directed by Shinji Higuchi.

poster_movie.gif

It reminds me of this panel from volume 30:

65782663.jpg

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Eluvei said:
He recently (recent as in not in the 80s) made an updated cover to Chameleon Jail; I could only find this little pic on I.T. Planning.

jailnew1.gif

A bigger version would be most appreciated, it looks amazing, kinda the style he used for Lost Odyssey's characters.

You mean like this :guts:

bc752.jpg

Exactly like this! Thanks a lot, Branded! Looks amazing, as I suspected from the little preview!

This is what it reminded me of:

losethbalmoreface.jpg

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
グリフィス said:
Nice! Allow me to repost this here, where it's more appropriate:

http://www.skullknight.net/griffith/inoueart.jpg​

Just look how big is it at the exhibition. :serpico:

2630167193_498f9e4ec6.jpg

Although looks similar, I doubt is the same pic.

Rhombaad said:
It's almost the same pose but it's a different picture.

He looks more mature on the exhibit poster, with a menacing but less blood-thirsty expression. Inoue used thicker brushes for the hair and clothes of the first pic. They're both great!

kohei1.jpg
baiken.jpg

45148.jpg

This was given away as a prize to one lucky bastard that won the Morning Magazine's Anniversary promotion. :judo:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Eluvei said:
http://morningmanga.com/images/news/23/45148.jpg

This was given away as a prize to one lucky bastard that won the Morning Magazine's Anniversary promotion. :judo:

That IS one lucky bastard! BTW, I happen to have a larger version of that image I cleaned in photoshop:

Griffith

Well, the variation in contrast and color from the one you posted is from the original scan of the image, I only got rid of all the magazine text on it from the 207 episode; otherwise, I wouldn't mess with Inoue's stuff. =)

Speaking of which, that image kinda has a sequel now.

merged.JPG

グリフィス said:
I wouldn't mess with Inoue's stuff. =)

sd2.jpg

(This is from the end of Slam Dunk's second volume, I'd appreciate if anyone could tell me if it's on the Viz edition. It's not on my country's edition for some reason, I only know it exists because of this low quality scanlation I found on the internet. The guy loves to draw himself!)

Griffith

Eluvei said:
Speaking of which, that image kinda has a sequel now.

http://www.gottsu-iiyan.ca/gib/media/blogs/all/merged.JPG

Oh, good point, maybe I'll clean and combine high quality versions of those as well if nobody has already.

Eluvei said:
http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/835/sd2.jpg

(This is from the end of Slam Dunk's second volume, I'd appreciate if anyone could tell me if it's on the Viz edition. It's not on my country's edition for some reason, I only know it exists because of this low quality scanlation I found on the internet. The guy loves to draw himself!)

Haha, I'm curious to know that as well.

グリフィス said:
Oh, good point, maybe I'll clean and combine high quality versions of those as well if nobody has already.

Please do, I've searched for some minutes and didn't find both covers united like that in good quality. These Morning and Switch cover illustrations are always so pretty, a shame they don't get released without big letters and stuff.

Actually, those Brazilian edition covers that aren't on Water (which I posted pics on that thread) were originally cover illustrations for Morning, as I found out by searching on Yahoo Auctions a few weeks back. This probably means the publishers have A LOT of these sweet high quality artworks to use for promotion and as covers or something like that.

These are the covers, Griff collected them in this post.

Conrad_Vagabond_04.jpg
Conrad_Vagabond_06.jpg
Conrad_Vagabond_12.jpg
Conrad_Vagabond_22.jpg
Conrad_Vagabond_24.jpg
Conrad_Vagabond_35.jpg

Conrad_Vagabond_38.jpg
Conrad_Vagabond_40.jpg

Kojiro in the crowd is my favorite, it's beautiful and shows how huge he is. Also, I think they did a nice job not letting the title get in the way of the characters, staying in the background in some of the covers. Shame they weren't as detailed in, you know, releasing the series.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Eluvei said:
Please do, I've searched for some minutes and didn't find both covers united like that in good quality. These Morning and Switch cover illustrations are always so pretty, a shame they don't get released without big letters and stuff.

Someone at Morning is keeping them :azan:

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Eluvei said:
sd2.jpg

It's not there Eluvei, I have SD the Viz version and it's not there. I do have a pic of Steve Nash at the end though. :ganishka:
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Update: Found it, it's not at the end of Volume 2, but right after the first episode. It's actually a little sketch about people sending songs about Sakuragi's love rejection song. Like this quote from Inoue
Hello I am Michael Inoue, and I want to thank you for supporting Slam Dunk. Even if you don't actually support it, you're reading it, so I thank you anyway

グリフィス said:
Here's one I know someone here will like

:carcus: Awesome. He always draws Baiken with gloomy colors, and an odd, eerie feeling surrounding him. The spiral is quite the burden!

グリフィス said:
And how perfect would this one be for the Matahachi: a man of the times thread?

That's one of my favorite threads ever, and that picture fits it perfectly.

Hojo said:
The Art of Vagabond: Sumi is amazing if you've looked at it.

Yeah, it's pretty amazing. Both of them are, actually. I hope he releases another two or so when he finds some peace and quiet.

Фирменная Один said:
Update: Found it, it's not at the end of Volume 2, but right after the first episode. It's actually a little sketch about people sending songs about Sakuragi's love rejection song.

Ohhhhhhhh you guys got the results of the songs thingie? All we got here is the request. That's great, thanks for searching Branded, I love Dr. T.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Eluvei said:
Ohhhhhhhh you guys got the results of the songs thingie? All we got here is the request. That's great, thanks for searching Branded, I love Dr. T.
I"ll give you the three songs Inoue featured in this little extra: "The Jagged Hear's Lullaby"by Yuta Ogasawara(From Hokkaido)(age:13)
"Mary had a little Lamb" by Hana Tagami & Kaede Murai(Kanagawa)(no age),"Repeatedly rejecte,always rejected. We beg you, don't give up on your quest. You'll be resurrected Hanamich, you are the best." by Hiroaki Sekido(From Tokyo)(age: 13)

Top Bottom