Vagabond: Volume 32

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
vagapic32.gif

51DrbwMq%2BnL._SS500_.jpg

January 15th in Japan, and Viz is releasing volume 31 only four days later.​

Griffith

Yeah, it's very different, almost black and white (or maybe it is and picture is just adding a slight hue). It resembles the style of some of the recent in series paintings and LAST Manga more than it does previous covers (volume 18 is closest off the top of my head).

And look at Mushi's hair, damn, it's almost as long as mine used to be. :badbone:

Griffith

Th3Branded0ne said:
here's a bigger picture from amazon

http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/I/51DrbwMq%2BnL._SS500_.jpg​
Fack, I search for the volume cover on Yahoo! Japan images, in Japanese, with no results, but it's on Amazon? :schnoz:
Anyway, thanks Branded, looks beautiful! :slan:

UPDATE: Put the higher quality one in the OP, updated the Volume section. It even looks good in there.

P.S. I noticed it with the thumbnail, but it's still apparent, Musashi's features resemble my cousin in that picture.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
グリフィス said:
Fack, I search for the volume cover on Yahoo! Japan images, in Japanese, with no results, but it's on Amazon? :schnoz:
Anyway, thanks Branded, looks beautiful! :slan:

I always search in japanes but in google japan.

グリフィス said:
Yeah, it's very different, almost black and white (or maybe it is and picture is just adding a slight hue). It resembles the style of some of the recent in series paintings and LAST Manga more than it does previous covers (volume 18 is closest off the top of my head).

It also kinda resembles 31's cover, with the characters in black and white and a colored background. I think it's pretty cool how the new covers have this feeling of serenity about them. Reflects well on the direction the story's going.

Griffith

Eluvei said:
It also kinda resembles 31's cover, with the characters in black and white and a colored background.

You're right, it is in the same vein as 31, just more subdued with the background color.

Eluvei said:
I think it's pretty cool how the new covers have this feeling of serenity about them. Reflects well on the direction the story's going.

I like them too, but I've got a few new thoughts on that direction, or at least new thoughts on my feelings about it...

Griffith

Yeah, I really hope Viz sticks to the color scheme with the title color, etc. I think they did a great job with 31, it looks gorgeous as well, and I hope they do the same for 32.

*SPOILERS BELOW*

BTW, Inoue wasn't kidding about the extra work he had to put into the volume, there's over an episodes worth of new pages in the volume, not to mention numerous touch-ups and add backgrounds. The highlights are some extra scenes during the Musashi/Ittosai encounter, and the ending, which is the equivalent of a new episode in itself (and gets pretty heavy with Musashi ending up in tears), as well as a cool sketch of Musashi and Inoue on the beach. So, if you're itching for new Vagabond, volume 32 basically has a new episode.

Damn! Nice! Can't wait for Viz's 32 to come out, since I only buy three at a time for a not so pricey shipping, and my last one was 29. :void:

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
グリフィス said:
BTW, Inoue wasn't kidding about the extra work he had to put into the volume, there's over an episodes worth of new pages in the volume, not to mention numerous touch-ups and add backgrounds. The highlights are some extra scenes during the Musashi/Ittosai encounter, and the ending, which is the equivalent of a new episode in itself (and gets pretty heavy with Musashi ending up in tears), as well as a cool sketch of Musashi and Inoue on the beach. So, if you're itching for new Vagabond, volume 32 basically has a new episode.

Yeah, it was great, especially those new pages put more into specifics of their fight. Those last pages do make Musashi even more human and also you feel sad for him in a way.

Griffith

Holy shit, check this out, I totally missed it until someone pointed it out about episode 288, but look closely at page 204 and beyond at the end of volume 32. Musashi is actually plugging his ears so he can experience the world, and train, like Kojiro, and he's doing the same thing at the end of 288. That's so fucking cool, no wonder this guy wins. =)

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
グリフィス said:
Holy shit, check this out, I totally missed it until someone pointed it out about episode 288, but look closely at page 204 and beyond at the end of volume 32. Musashi is actually plugging his ears so he can experience the world, and train, like Kojiro, and he's doing the same thing at the end of 288. That's so fucking cool, no wonder this guy wins. =)

I saw that in 288 as well, but I thought everyone caught it. I thought he was just mimicking Kojiro and just being reminded of him while in Kyoto, you know just to experience what was like to be deaf.

Griffith

Th3Branded0ne said:
I saw that in 288 as well, but I thought everyone caught it. I thought he was just mimicking Kojiro and just being reminded of him while in Kyoto, you know just to experience what was like to be deaf.
See, that's why we need to discuss EVERYTHING! :zodd:

I saw him messing with his ears, but since it didn't actually show him put anything in them, I wasn't sure what was going on there until I checked the end of 32 again while thinking about it (I remembered the little ball of food in his fingers).

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
グリフィス said:
See, that's why we need to discuss EVERYTHING! :zodd:

I saw him messing with his ears, but since it didn't actually show him put anything in them, I wasn't sure what was going on there until I checked the end of 32 again while thinking about it (I remembered the little ball of food in his fingers).

And I also had this thought, since I gave the access to the volume, and it's not suppose to be here in the U.S. till later, I didn't know if I should spoil or talk about "EVERYTHING" But now that you have said that, I will now. So, on this volume I liked how Inoue also show the way Musashi got the "talk to the hand" straight on his face. For some reason I found it kinda funny.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Good catch. In 288, I actually thought he was CLEARING his ears so he could hear better, using all senses to their full potential. Turns out I had it backwards :slan:

Griffith

Th3Branded0ne said:
And I also had this thought, since I gave the access to the volume, and it's not suppose to be here in the U.S. till later, I didn't know if I should spoil or talk about "EVERYTHING" But now that you have said that, I will now. So, on this volume I liked how Inoue also show the way Musashi got the "talk to the hand" straight on his face. For some reason I found it kinda funny.

That jumped out at me as well, before I thought Ittosai had hit Musashi square in the chest, and that the nosebleed was an effect of the power and overall damage that blow and subsequent fall did to his body. The hit being to the face makes more sense on one hand (pardon the pun), i.e. the bloody nose, but then again, he should probably have had a lot worse than that from that kind of direct impact to his nose, head, and neck, like... death; he went flying back a dozen feet.

Walter said:
Good catch. In 288, I actually thought he was CLEARING his ears so he could hear better, using all senses to their full potential. Turns out I had it backwards :slan:

Yeah, I had the same impression because there was no establishing shot of him actually putting something in his ear, and I knew Inoue wouldn't have overlooked something like that.

Update: Wow, bringing those two points full circle...

281_06.jpg

This page from episode 281 was removed from volume 32. :SK:

Too bad, my earlier comment aside, I really liked it.

Top Bottom