Episode 311

Oburi

All praise Grail
Amazing. I'm so happy they are on finally on land, though as Lith said, you get this really creepy feeling.

Love the ominous black cat.
56435811.jpg

Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspidochelone
According to the tradition of the Physiologus and medieval bestiaries, the aspidochelone is a fabled sea creature, variously described as a large whale or sea turtle, that is as large as an island. [...] It rises to the surface from the depths of the sea, and entices unwitting sailors to make landfall on its huge shell.

Love this idea.

... i really love this ep.

Is there any reason to be concerned that the little girl was originally seen as being naked?

Everything on the Island, including the clothes she was later revealed in, could be some sort of illusion akin to the Siren parallels. Anyways whatever happens. I sure did enjoy this episode.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Jaze1618 said:
Is there any reason to be concerned that the little girl was originally seen as being naked?

Everything on the Island, including the clothes she was later revealed in, could be some sort of illusion akin to the Siren parallels. Anyways whatever happens. I sure did enjoy this episode.
I could understand some confusion when we only had the preview. But with the full ep there's no mystery ...

She was originally shown watching the ship from a distance without a shirt. Harpoon in hand, bag of fish in the other, she was obviously collecting fish. Then, when she makes contact with Isidro, she has put a shirt on. So what's the problem, exactly?

Walter said:
I could understand some confusion when we only had the preview. But with the full ep there's no mystery ...

She was originally shown watching the ship from a distance without a shirt. Harpoon in hand, bag of fish in the other, she was obviously collecting fish. Then, when she makes contact with Isidro, she has put a shirt on. So what's the problem, exactly?

Yes all good points.

And Griff, that was hilarious.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DOOMXEEN said:
I have a strong feeling that the redshirt is going to die :judo:

You realize that a "redshirt" is by definition a character who's only introduced in order to be killed?

Lithrael said:
I want to see cephalopirates return for revenge in the night and end up in a fight with the cave monster by accident. :troll:

Hahaha, now that would be fun to see. :void:

Walter said:
This place seems to have its own story to tell. It could be something as simple as "old superstitions became reality with the merging of worlds," as the villagers are now forced to give fish to a hungry SEA GOD.

I don't think they really give it fish to eat, it's more a tribute to appease its wrath. Typical stuff. They pile up gifts regularly and remove them once they've rotten. :slan:

Walter said:
Despite all the discussion about the girl, I don't think she'll be anything too special. So far she's simply our window into the inhabitants of this strange island. But if Guts and Co. bring her along when chaos inevitably breaks out and they have to make a quick getaway, I certainly won't complain. I'll always welcome a new member to the cast(aways). *YUK YUK*

Give her a few years and she could even be Serpico's love interest (didn't see that one coming Dar Klink, did you?). :iva:

Jaze1618 said:

She was fishing and probably didn't want her clothes to be wet?

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Aazealh said:
Give her a few years and she could even be Serpico's love interest (didn't see that one coming Dar Klink, did you?). :iva:
I like this idea more than I'm willing to admit. :serpico:

Edit: Speaking of this new character... am I the only one hoping we get a nice miniposter featuring her in volume 35? :slan:

I am familiar with what a redshirt is. I can't tell if you're saying that every person present is an established character or if you're defending Miura, saying that he doesn't use such gimmicks(a sentiment I would surely understand).

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but we haven't been introduced to the fellow in the back of the crowd at the top of page 18, have we? He is the person I was jokingly referring to.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DOOMXEEN said:
I am familiar with what a redshirt is. I can't tell if you're saying that every person present is an established character or if you're defending Miura, saying that he doesn't use such gimmicks(a sentiment I would surely understand).

No, I'm saying your sentence made no sense and I'm doubting your understanding of the term. Like I said, a redshirt is by definition someone who dies. So saying you have a strong feeling the redshirt is going to die is pointless. "Redshirt" isn't a synonym for "minor, unimportant character".

DOOMXEEN said:
Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but we haven't been introduced to the fellow in the back of the crowd at the top of page 18, have we? He is the person I was jokingly referring to.

No, we haven't.

Yeah, I realized soon after posting that you were pointing out the redundancy of what I said. I'd have edited my post, but I know you have an all seeing eye so I didn't bother haha.

That's honestly the first time I've ever made reference to it outside of Star Trek.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DOOMXEEN said:
Yeah, I realized soon after posting that you were pointing out the redundancy of what I said. I'd have edited my post, but I know you have an all seeing eye so I didn't bother haha.

That's honestly the first time I've ever made reference to it outside of Star Trek.

No big deal, I just pointed it out because it seemed odd. I have no problem with edits. And I also wouldn't be very surprised if that nameless crewman (and/or his 2 friends) died somehow. :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
Does anyone think we'll see the pirate captain again? at least anytime soon?
I don't think there's any doubt we'll see them again. The question is when. Will they be a final barrier to getting to Skellig, or will they be something that doesn't appear until the band attempts to LEAVE Skellig. :badbone: That's the idle thought I was entertaining when I read the ep. Several years later, they try to take their revenge and get demolished.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
I don't think there's any doubt we'll see them again. The question is when. Will they be a final barrier to getting to Skellig, or will they be something that doesn't appear until the band attempts to LEAVE Skellig. :badbone: That's the idle thought I was entertaining when I read the ep. Several years later, they try to take their revenge and get demolished.

I'm hoping it's as they leave Skellig. The Boss will probably have something even crazier up his sleeve and will end up being defeated even quicker than last time by the new and improved group. :guts:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
My favorite scenario for the Pirates' return is that just when everyone sees Skellig on the horizon, the pirate ship rises from the depths and blocks it from view, "Arrrrrrr, ya gotta get past us first, mateys!" :guts:

Really loved this EPISODE! It looks like its setting up for something quite neat and some interesting new creatures. Very creepy and ominous town :magni:

Also i also immediately thought of an incubus when i saw the creature on the last page with the wrinkles being an eye, but looking at the very last panel it looks like theres some blood around the lower wrinkles, perhaps a mouth?

geo jee

"Almost black..slightly white swordsman."
This episode is a little odd for me..

First I thought the pirates were going to have (at last) an end but they escaped which means that the author still has some ideas for them.
Second, the girl that appeared seems a bit odd too. My guess is she isn't human maybe a mermaid (you know the ones that have legs on shore). And the thing that creeps me out is how everyone left their works and lives all of a sudden being afraid of the newcomers yet that girl approached Isidro without fear.

But from all that I loved how the sailors celebrated Guts' victory. :guts:
And I'm really starting to see how the bond between guts and Schierke is growing.

DERA said:
Is the bleeding of the brand caused by the island or has it been bleeding since the layers merged?

Someone who can read it would have to answer that but from the pages it would imply it's something on the island? If I remember correctly Aaz said something about a conversation about an ominous Od, then shows the brand bleeding... So yeah I would think the island.

geo jee

"Almost black..slightly white swordsman."
DERA said:
Is the bleeding of the brand caused by the island or has it been bleeding since the layers merged?

Well it seems that Guts had bled twice since the layers merged, both from sensing an evil Od or spirit. So it's the same like before, when Guts bleeds something bad is about to happen. :beast:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
DERA said:

It's most likely caused by the island (or what lurks nearby). We don't see it bleeding like that in previous episodes. The merging did affect the Brand though (Guts comments on it).

So we're back on land again, but things doesn't look too good. My first thought when they confronted the strange creature on the final page was that they had stumbled across chibi-Cthulhu. The village itself also gave me flashbacks to Jerusalem's Lot - a village in a Stephen King short-story of the same name - where nothing looks too suspicious until you realize what the villagers worship.

I liked how the pirates survived once again. They NEVER give up, heh!

Top Bottom