Metroid: Other M

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
With the game now slated for a June 27 release in the USA (and a few months later in Europe) I figured it was time for a thread. A new Metroid game is always worth noting, and this one more than any other considering the direction it's taking.

Metroid-OtherM.jpg

Basic information:

- The game is developed by Nintendo with the help of the Team Ninja (the people behind the recent Ninja Gaiden games).
- The only control scheme available is holding the Wiimote sideways, without the nunchuk. Old school NES style. One button to jump, one to shoot, and A for the morph ball.
- It's "2.5D", meaning it's in full 3D but you progress like in a classic sidescroller game most of the time. There's a slight auto-aim to adapt to the added 3D depth (those who played Shadow Complex will know what it's like).
- Sometimes the camera will move to an over-the-shoulder view à la RE4, and at any time during the game you can point the Wiimote at the screen and press B to inspect stuff in a first-person view. In that mode you can also shoot missiles, but can't move around.
- You can perform evasive moves, counterattacks and even finishing moves with the D-pad.
- The story takes place in-between Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion. It starts almost right where Super Metroid left. It also ties to Metroid Fusion's storyline, most notably by introducing the character of Adam (the guy the computer's personality is modeled after in Fusion).

Link to IGN's hands-on impressions (very detailed, recommended read)

Pictures gallery

The old E3 2009 trailer
Recent interview with some details (I love this guy for trying as hard as he can not to spoil stuff. Bioware should learn from him!) :azan:

I was skeptic about this game when it was first announced, but all the articles I've read are so enthusiastic about it that I'm now waiting to pre-order it. There's only talk of amazing gameplay, breathtaking action, phenomenal cut-scenes, superb atmosphere instantly reminiscent of the Metroid series (the feeling of isolation, among other things), old school platforming, huge focus on exploration with a labyrinthine complexity that will make it easy to get lost despite the very well done mini-map, incredible level design (deeper than Shadow Complex') that uses the 2.5D concept to the maximum. Most expansive plot in the story so far, tying all the different games together in a coherent fashion, and shining some light on Samus' past and present as well as on the Galactic Federation and the universe at large.

The only two complaints I've seen so far are about the voice acting for the NPCs in the demo and the gimmick for Samus not having all her powers right from the start (Adam has to authorize their use or something, haven't read all the spoilers). Nothing too dramatic I think.

So, the "true sequel" to Super Metroid at last. If that doesn't build up expectations, I don't know what else can. Still, I'm confident right now. Regardless of the shitty marketing, if the people who've seen and played the game say it's worthy of the title, I'm willing to believe them.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, great thread dude. Lots of info here.

I've been following the game since it was announced buuuut, I can't say I'm too enthusiastic about this, despite me being a HUGE fan of the series.

What bothers me is the focus on story and the addition of dialogue and additional characters. These are things that haven't jibed well for Metroid in the past -- at least for me. Metroid Fusion was one of the worst games in the franchise because of the constant babbling between missions. It completely killed the atmosphere of the game when a robot is discussing every single objective with you before you do it and after you do it. But, I suppose if the game deals more with the Metroids and Samus' background than, say, possessed air-conditioning units, it could be good afterall!

While I wouldn't mind some story revelations, I really hope there are long portions of Other M where there is no dialogue -- simply Samus in a creepy, dark environment against a horde of creatures and great music.

Ill check these previews to see if they don't change my mind. I hope they can :sad:

So far so good:
[quote author=http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/107/1071925p1.html]A religious Metroid fan to the core, I wasted no time making my way to a private room to determine once and for all if Aran's latest adventure will hold its own against all of its great predecessors.

Short answer: it does. [/quote]

I'm looking forward to it too !
I miss the good old gameplay, the last Metroid that I've really enjoyed were the ones on GBA, the Gamecube episodes were good but it was not the same feeling.

PS. Aazealh, what's about your "Popples" avatar ? :serpico:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
While I wouldn't mind some story revelations, I really hope there are long portions of Other M where there is no dialogue -- simply Samus in a creepy, dark environment against a horde of creatures and great music.

So far it looks like it's the case. And if the story is really about Samus' trouble in dealing with the loss of her "baby" (the Metroid larva)... I can't wait! :ubik:

The Beast of Darkness said:
PS. Aazealh, what's about your "Popples" avatar ? :serpico:

Popples?! Can't you tell it's a Care Bear? :mozgus:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
[quote author=http://wii.ign.com/articles/107/1071925p2.html]
When enemies shoot projectiles, you can cinematically dive out of harm's way if you tap any direction on the D-Pad just before impact. Works flawlessly and looks good, too. Time it just right and Samus can pull off reversals on alien attacks, too.[/quote]
This sounds awesome. From this, it seems as though the game will have some fast-paced shooting, which has been sorely missed from the Prime series, as much as I love it.

But what worries me somewhat is some other details of the control scheme. I understand that I can switch to first-person mode by holding the Wiimote like a remote. And I have a feeling that mechanic will also be used for discovering hidden items, like looking in an unseen corner of a room and finding a rocket upgrade.

That's cool enough for exploration, but it's the combat that worries me. The lack of movement options in that mode may make it prohibitive and useless for all but the necessary times (freezing limbs on the boss in the demo for example).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
But what worries me somewhat is some other details of the control scheme. I understand that I can switch to first-person mode by holding the Wiimote like a remote. And I have a feeling that mechanic will also be used for discovering hidden items, like looking in an unseen corner of a room and finding a rocket upgrade.

That's cool enough for exploration, but it's the combat that worries me. The lack of movement options in that mode may make it prohibitive and useless for all but the necessary times (freezing limbs on the boss in the demo for example).

Well keep in mind the game's in 3D, so that means you can have enemies shooting at you from the background that will require you to change your perspective. I'm not too worried about it. Shadow Complex had one, maybe two scenes with a first person perspective and they were fine. On the contrary, enemies in the background could be a pain to hit sometimes because the game wouldn't register their depths correctly and adjust to it. The possibility to switch the view at any time will be great in that regard.

I've only played Super Metroid so far, but I'm looking forward to this.

A new trailer (which we've seen bits of on the 2009 trailer) was shown on Nintendo Summit: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/nintendo-summit-metroid-other/62557
I'm not sure if it's the motion capture, Samus' hair or the thumbs down thing, but I think it's a little awkward.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Eluvei said:
I'm not sure if it's the motion capture, Samus' hair or the thumbs down thing, but I think it's a little awkward.

I think it's the 3D model that doesn't look completely normal. Hair included.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
At GDC Yoshio Sakamoto, of Metroid and Nintendo fame, said that Metroid: Other M was originally designed as an on-rails shooter. Sounds like they dodged a bullet by fundamentally changing the design of it...

http://kotaku.com/5491158/metroid-other-m-might-have-been-on+rails-if-not-for-team-ninja
"I thought Samus should move along a set path," Sakamoto said. "That's right. Samus would be moving along a rail, as long as the camera angle was capable of keeping up with the action."

That's a fairly substantial change for a game known for its open-ended exploration.

Here's a MUCH more detailed article about Sakamoto's full presentation: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27635/GDC_Nintendos_Sakamotos_Four_Creative_Tenets.php

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Eluvei said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrAWYvUG8N8

Is this as fucking awesome as I think it is or am I blindly hyped?

You are not blindly hyped. This game is going to be orgasmic. Thanks for the video.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
E3 Trailer: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-metroid-other/101482

Gameplay as demoed at E3: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-metroid-other/101659

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
A pretty cool recap of the series thus far (excluding Prime's trilogy, Fusion and ... Super Smash Bros. of course), focusing on the story elements that directly tie-in to Other M:

http://kotaku.com/5615666/twenty+four-years-of-metroid-history-narrated-by-samus-aran

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
I never got into the Metroid series. I was just never exposed to or interested in it as a child. I'm on the fence about this one. Probably wait until the reviews hit.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aphasia said:
I never got into the Metroid series. I was just never exposed to or interested in it as a child. I'm on the fence about this one. Probably wait until the reviews hit.
You should play Super Metroid. Like, right now.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Walter said:
You should play Super Metroid. Like, right now.

I actually remember playing this one time...in a hotel. It was one of those stupid expensive video game apps that came with the TV and a ghetto controller. I wish I still had my SNES! : ( My cousin borrowed it and alas, it never returned. A sad day. I'm feeling poetic...

Goodbye ole' SNES
I can still see you there
Lying amongst the mess

I'll grab one off ebay or something.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
My copy just shipped out from Amazon. Should be here in 2 days :ubik:

Any other launch-day adopters on here?

Top Bottom