TRON: Legacy

I thought the movie deserved it's own topic! I mean, let's face it ... it looks epic.

NEW Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ictRpCRUpXk&feature=related

And, to preview the soundtrack by Daft Punk, go here
http://blogs.1077theend.com/internbryce/2010/07/22/new-daft-punk-zomg/

I'm a fan of the original movie, watched it numerous times growing up cos dad had a VHS of it. The chicks in Legacy look HOT.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
As much as I enjoyed the latest trailer, I'm still skeptical that it's going to live up.

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
As much as I respect Tron's legacy in films, you're insane if you think it has aged well in the slightest. I eagerly await The Dude being young again in glorious 3dee :carcus:

Griffith said:
As much as I enjoyed the latest trailer, I'm still skeptical that it's going to live up.
Couldn't agree more. I still try to convince myself not to like it in case i get disappointed at the end.
Though i have to admit that the soundtrack is going to be epic.

Oburi

All praise Grail
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=71180

There's a Daft Punk music video type thing with some new footage. The two dj's at the end there are actually Daft Punk.

Oburi said:
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=71180

There's a Daft Punk music video type thing with some new footage. The two dj's at the end there are actually Daft Punk.

Damn, you beat me to it :iva:

I think the soundtrack to this film at the very least will be something special.

Oburi

All praise Grail
JezzaX said:
Damn, you beat me to it :iva:

I think the soundtrack to this film at the very least will be something special.

I'll tell ya what, I'll definitely be getting the soundtrack before the film comes out on december 7th.

NEW Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl6CcDWElEY

It gives away a few bits and pieces :badbone:. The music on the trailer has a subtle touch of Inception's trailer idea/ theme.

Update

Tickets can be bought for those midnight/ morning shows on Day 1 of the release. I'm going to try and watch it on IMAX 3D at the Lincoln Center cos they've got the biggest IMAX screen in the city (that I know of). The midnight show's booked, checking with a friend if they he wants to go for the 3:10 am show Friday morning.

Griffith

Check out this image from ESPN.com previewing the upcoming Patriots/Bears game:

tronnfl.jpg

:carcus:

FYI, Disney is ESPN's parent company.

Oburi

All praise Grail
HA! I got you beat Incantation! I got tickets for a 12:01 showing tomorrow night at Imax 3D.

Soo stoked for this!

Lucky bum :slan:. There was no chance for me to even get the midnight show because I hopped on to book tickets 15 minutes after booking was possible online through movietickets or Fandango, and that screening for my preferred theater was Sold Out. Crazy Wall Streeters or rich folk ggrrrrrr. I could've picked up the midnight show for the other place at 34th street BUT, the screen size at Lincoln is unmatched.

Watched this last night. Alright, not a lot of people would LOVE it, but I thought it was damn good for what it is. Music = Awesome. So far it's easily the best movie made for 3D cinema. I can't wait to watch it again, and now I'm going to listen to the entire soundtrack. I was holding off on listening to it, so I could be surprised when I watched the film.

Cabbed it home, touchdown at 6 am, hopped online for 2 hours, came in to work at 9 am. Fun!

Oburi

All praise Grail
YEa I thought it awesome. I was a little skeptical the first half hour or so but once Jeff Bridges character came in it started to feel like a real movie. THe effects were beautiful and the music was slammin.

Though despite it's awesomness, I must admit that it didn't really go beyond my expectations, it just met them. The things you would think are bonuses about the movie are what really make the movie (effects/music/Bridges). Also, the 3D didnt blow me away either. Some parts were great but overall I was expecting more. But 3D aside, the effects were great.

Griffith

Oburi said:
YEa I thought it awesome. I was a little skeptical the first half hour or so but once Jeff Bridges character came in it started to feel like a real movie. THe effects were beautiful and the music was slammin.

Though despite it's awesomness, I must admit that it didn't really go beyond my expectations, it just met them. The things you would think are bonuses about the movie are what really make the movie (effects/music/Bridges). Also, the 3D didnt blow me away either. Some parts were great but overall I was expecting more. But 3D aside, the effects were great.

Despite the glowing terms, I think that was a secretly lukewarm review. Whenever a film supposedly inspires awe, merely meets expectations and even underachieves in certain areas simultaneously, I get suspicious because something doesn't add up.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Griffith said:
Despite the glowing terms, I think that was a secretly lukewarm review. Whenever a film supposedly inspires awe, merely meets expectations and even underachieves in certain areas simultaneously, I get suspicious because something doesn't add up.

I suppose you would be right, Griff. I really did enjoy it, but I think the fact that it was so unique is what helped me appreciate what was going on (I'm one who remembers very little of the original btw). It did inspire awe, but didn't build or expand on it enough to make the entire film jaw dropping (like Avatar). The 3D was the biggest disappointment for me. Not that it was bad but I feel like every time I see a movie in 3d the glamor of it all just wears away half way through the film (except Avatar, again). It could be me though, as some people think 3D in any movie is awesome and some people think it should just go away. I thought if any movie should be seen in 3D, it should be Tron. But again, the 3D was the least impressive thing about it.

Anyway, I don't expect you'll be seeing it Griff?

It's good for what Tron is. It's not going to be ground breaking or anything. Somebody asked me on FBook if they should spend 20$ on it or not, and all I could tell him is "Hey, if you want to watch it, go for it. Don't if you're hesitant or super critical" because he asked if it had a typical Hollywood story, etc. It's not a 2001: A Space Odyssey. 3D or not, you have to ask yourself if you enjoyed the movie, and if the answer is Yes, it's a movie worth going to.

Avatar for me was decent, not spectacular. The Hurt Locker was the same, nothing to brag too much about or win so many Oscars/ awards.

It felt like the 3D was incomplete, not nearly as impressive as it should have been, rushed even. There was even a disclaimer at the beginning of the film stating that "not all of the film is in 3D and was MEANT to be viewed this way." I immediately became suspicious and I really think they just didn't have it done in time but released it anyway. SOME of the 3D was very nice, but if you're going to do it, go all the way don't half ass it.

The story was pretty good, I enjoyed the movie but was not as blown away as I should have been. The character development for supporting characters was non-existent, so that you felt nothing when programs de-rezzed (unlike in the first film). It was more like, "okay, he's dead oh well." Also I felt they didn't tap into the power of the users like they did in the first film, where Flynn actually had the ability to revive dying programs and restore broken vehicles. Considering Sam was his son, I would've expected him to be able to do SOMETHING, but unfortunately for the most part he was useless. Also, I was a little let down with CLU's abilities, I hoped he would become more menacing towards the end.

Also, having the character "Tron" in this movie but not showing his face, with just a voiceover seemed cheap and lazy to me.
I still liked it but it was far from the perfect film I thought it would be.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Overall, it's ok. You can feel the Daft Punk element all the way (good on my book). But without spoiling anything, they had all the tools to make it the ultimate nerd flick... And it just didn't delivered. Characters were just sloppy, and in truth... you would at least lean on the action side. But there wasn't much of that either. Eye candy galore, but I just feel there was no focus on anything BUT the soundtrack.

Griffith

Oburi said:
Anyway, I don't expect you'll be seeing it Griff?

Nah, it looks fun, but I probably won't go unless it's really to hang with friends. I never got why so many people were expecting the second coming from this movie, it's an almost 30 years later Disney 3D sequel to a movie that wasn't that great to begin with. It screams "commerce" to me much more than it does "perfect film."

Eluvei said:
That's a pretty spoilerish review of the movie! I wouldn't read it if I could go back in time!

Thanks for the heads up, I tried to spoiler tag the offending portion without reading it myself. I might also have to tag Skull Knight with the scarlet S. :griffnotevil:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I saw it in 3D IMAX this weekend and loved it. The special effects were awesome and the score was even better (definitely putting the soundtrack on my Christmas list). I thought the plot was interesting despite not being very complicated. It was a lot of fun and didn't disappoint. :guts:

Top Bottom