Gamescom 2010

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
This might not be the E3 but it looks like there are some things worth checking out.

I followed the EA conference live, here's a debrief:

The Sims Medieval looks elaborate, great animations and graphics for the genre. Not a fan of the games so that's all I'll say, except that the game strained their demo machine at times... Doesn't bode well for the average Sims player. Game will be out in March 2011. Footage here.

They had some impressive new Dead Space 2 footage that showed Isaac in various a Zero-G environments. Very cool visually and more promising to me than the E3 trailer. Isaac's voice sounded a bit... mismatched to me, but other than that it was great. Footage here.

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit is about all Cops vs Criminals and the multiplayer will be the same. I'm not big into NFS but the footage looked very fun. Footage here.

Medal of Honor had no real footage to show (will be at the Sony conference) but they had interviews with their consultants, ex-Spec Ops soldiers or whatever. It was promising since they're apparently striving to make the game as realistic as possible. I think it might stand a chance despite Modern Warfare's popularity. Footage here.

There was a Harry Potter game using Kinect controls, but to be honest I didn't pay attention to it. See the footage here if you care.

Next were the Bioware announcements. They talked a bit about The Old Republic but nothing noteworthy, then moved to a special Mass Effect announcement. I was half-excited but it turns out it's Mass Effect 2 coming out on the PS3 in January 2011. Cool for those who've only got a PS3 but boring for everyone else, and since there's no word about ME1 coming out on PS3 (was co-developed with Microsoft Studios so I'm not even sure it's possible) I'm not sure it's all that interesting even for PS3 owners. Then they showed a Dragon Age 2 trailer, pretty but no gameplay, so useless. Trailer here.

After that was the best part of the conference along with Dead Space 2 to me, that is the presentation of Crysis 2's multiplayer. Showed a 6 vs 6 battle on top of a few buildings and it looked awesome. I'm waiting for the game even more now. Apparently you'll be able to customize your nanosuit according to your playstyle in addition to the standard suit powers. Footage here.

Following Crysis was Bulletstorm, which I have to say looks fun as far as the weapons and kills go, but the constant corny and overacted chatter between the characters annoyed me enough that I'm still uninterested in the game. Footage here.

Last came Peter Moore to talk about EA Sports, but there was nothing particularly worthy of attention. They've got David Beckham working on their fitness game and they showed some FIFA 11 footage (a demo will be available on September 16) but that's about it. Footage here.

Microsoft conference:

http://www.ageofempiresonline.com/
http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/

Some stuff not from the conference:

Might & Magic Heroes VI
Red Faction Armageddon pitch & footage
Rage (from Quakecon)
Bioshock Infinite debut trailer

One of the original creators of X-Com talking about making a turn-based Tactical-RPG on the Nintendo 3DS:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/5987/putting_the_xcom_in_xcom.php#comment61000 said:
Publishers run a mile from anything with turn-based mechanics - it is regarded as too niche. RTS games pretty much killed off turn-based strategy games in the mid-90s - but now even RTS games are regarded as niche. So all my experience working turn-based games from 1983-1997 is now somewhat obsolete, despite the success of X-Com. However, I am now working on a turn-based tactical RPG which will be a 3DS launch title. Thanks to 'Advance Wars', 'Fire Emblem' and 'Final Fantasy Tactics' it seems turn-based games are not totally dead - at least for Nintendo handhelds. I would also argue that Pokemon has a lot of parallels with X-Com in its game system, despite being classified as an 'RPG'. The core of Pokemon is a turn-based tactical battle enriched by a sophisticated higher level meta-game that allows players to experiment with many game elements and combinations of forces - and Pokemon is the second most successful game franchise in the world. If done right, would an X-Com game with a turn-based combat system be successful? Absolutely!

Aazealh said:
Mass Effect 2 coming out on the PS3. Cool for those who've only got a PS3 but boring for everyone else, and since there's no word about ME1 coming out on PS3 (was co-developed with Microsoft Studios so I'm not even sure it's possible) I'm not sure it's all that interesting even for PS3 owners.

They'll probably add a ten minute "PREVIOUSLY ON MASS EFFECT ONE" video and that's it, right? It's a very strange decision since one of ME2's most acclaimed features was to use your ME1 save on it. They must have put a lot of effort into that, and it'll be all thrown out the window for this release.

Aazealh said:
Then they showed a Dragon Age 2 trailer, pretty but no gameplay, so useless.

I still like Sacred Ashes better than this one, but it was pretty cool too. Not that it'll make up for the ugly ass pictures they released through Game Informer earlier. :daiba:

Aazealh said:
After that was the best part of the conference along with Dead Space 2 to me, that is the presentation of Crysis 2's multiplayer. Showed a 6 vs 6 battle on top of a few buildings and it looked awesome. I'm waiting for the game even more now. Apparently you'll be able to customize your nanosuit according to your playstyle in addition to the standard suit powers.

Yeah, this was pretty swell. Crysis 2 is looking incredible. Everything released so far looks like an improvement over Crysis 1.

Aazealh said:
Following Crysis was Bulletstorm, which I have to say looks fun as far as the weapons and kills go, but the constant corny and overacted chatter between the characters annoyed me enough that I'm still uninterested in the game.

I have a feeling the developers think they're so smart with all this lame dialogue, fast-paced kicks to the face and colorful little world. They're trying too hard and it looks just mediocre to me. And notice how repetitive the moves become after you see two trailers. It's always the same thing. If they can't show me some diversity for three minutes, I don't think there's much to show.

Eluvei said:
They'll probably add a ten minute "PREVIOUSLY ON MASS EFFECT ONE" video and that's it, right?
Exactly. :guts: Too bad it's just ME2, I would buy it for sure if they add ME1 and all the DLC's so far.

And I'm not excited about the Crysis 2, the only thing I'm interested is a backpack in limited edition. :carcus:

By the way, guys, any leads to the music in DragonAge II trailer?

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Thanks for summarizing all of the presentations for us Aaz, you spoil us.

Very, VERY excited about Crysis 2. It seems like with every press release it looks better and better. I hadn't even thought about it having a solid multiplayer mode but I guess it's logical considering they released Crysis Wars (though I haven't played it yet).

The Dragon Age 2 trailer was such a waste of time that I almost feel angry. Hopefully the developers weren't the ones wasting their time pumping that out.

I plan on playing the first Dead Space in the near future, so just in case I'm not looking at anything about the sequel yet.

I've really enjoyed the last few installments of FIFA the past few years and it's nice to see that they are trying to add a bit of depth to it. I expect it to be almost identical to FIFA 10 anyway, and I expect to enjoy it regardless.

And that's all I really feel inclined to comment on at the moment. Still need to watch the Bulletstorm and MoH trailers.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Scorpio said:
Very, VERY excited about Crysis 2. It seems like with every press release it looks better and better. I hadn't even thought about it having a solid multiplayer mode but I guess it's logical considering they released Crysis Wars (though I haven't played it yet).

Yeah it's shaping up to be pretty neat. I hope they really deliver: a lengthy, polished single player campaign and solid multiplayer to go along with it.

Scorpio said:
The Dragon Age 2 trailer was such a waste of time that I almost feel angry. Hopefully the developers weren't the ones wasting their time pumping that out.

It's outsourced if I'm not mistaken. They've been doing that for a while now (for DA:O, ME2, SW:TOR).

Scorpio said:
I plan on playing the first Dead Space in the near future, so just in case I'm not looking at anything about the sequel yet.

You should give it a shot, it must be available for cheap now. If you like survival horror games and Sci-Fi it's guaranteed to please you. As a matter of fact after watching the Dead Space 2 footage I ordered Dead Space Extraction (a prequel) on the Wii for cheap, even though it's a rail shooter.

Scorpio said:
I've really enjoyed the last few installments of FIFA the past few years and it's nice to see that they are trying to add a bit of depth to it. I expect it to be almost identical to FIFA 10 anyway, and I expect to enjoy it regardless.

Well you can play as the goalkeeper now, that's the biggest news apparently.

In other news:

There are no plans for a console version of Diablo 3. Blizzard also unveiled a new feature called "Artisans". See a video here.

New InFAMOUS 2 trailer and some gameplay.

There's a new, "adult" spin-off of Persona titled Catherine that's being developed in HD on X360 and PS3.

Dawn of War 2 Retribution trailer
Killzone 3 multiplayer gameplay
Resistance 3 trailer (game is coming out in 2011)
Medal of Honor helicopter stage demo
Halo Reach gameplay
Fable III walkthrough
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood gameplay

From Dust tech demo
Portal 2 extensive footage

And that's not from the show but some Japanese website has got close-up shots of the 3DS: http://jin115.com/archives/51701336.html

And this retro game looks totally awesome, with many references to old NES games: http://kotaku.com/5615403/retro-city-rampage-is-the-gta-the-80s-never-had

Aazealh said:
As a matter of fact after watching the Dead Space 2 footage I ordered Dead Space Extraction (a prequel) on the Wii for cheap, even though it's a rail shooter.
Just for the collection? Because I heard it's gonna be added as a bonus to PS3 version.

Aazealh said:

I can't wait to see what Chahi's gonna do with all this, this tech demo has me curious. The game has been confirmed for the PC as well, which is great news.

Aazealh said:

For those that don't want to be further spoiled by Portal 2 footage, the release date has been announced: February 9th, 2011.

Scorpio said:

Here, have this new screenshot: Click :iva:

BTW, the evil guy at the trailer is a redesigned Qunari: http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/07/28/a-look-at-the-qunari-evolved.aspx

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Konketsuji said:
Just for the collection? Because I heard it's gonna be added as a bonus to PS3 version.

It'll be available as part of the Collector's Edition on PS3 yeah, but I don't have a PS3 and even if I did I wouldn't buy all the Move stuff.

Top Bottom