Ceremonies early on, escapable?

I thought to myself, what would happen if there was only 1 or 2 apostles present at the time of the ceremony, could a group like the band of the Hawk escape, or even win? Maybe not win but what about if the sacrifice was not an ordinary person, but someone like a Flora / Guts in armor, or even :SK: ?

During the ceremony, do God Hand members do anything besides watch it all take place or put brands on people? I'm quickly browsing the volumes and I don't think I have seen anyone killed by a God Hand member, though Casca had well, you know. :judo:

Maybe the first few ceremonies failed, thoughts?

An idea I had when trying to link things around were that people were able to escape the first ceremonies, and maybe it followed a similar order.

-First few apostles chose something they couldn't kill, like a small army or person with great power.

->The sacrifice(s) escape - team up- share info , maybe attempt to take them down years later whilst dropping in on ceremonies in attempt to rescue more like them. I mean its plausible that Magic users and such know about ceremonies and God Hand because a survivor told them right?

->When apostle numbers reach a big enough amount, the success rate of sacrifices go way up. Then the rescue efforts were abandoned and no one wanted to do it anymore or they died trying to do so previously except one, :badbone: Who he rescues and why I don't know.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
gh-zodd said:
I don't think I have seen anyone killed by a God Hand member
killerfemto1.jpg

killerfemto2.jpg

No but seriously, I think during Apostle ceremonies, the sacrifice victims are swallowed by the Vortex of Souls.

During God Hand ceremonies, the God Hand don't seem to do any killing themselves. They are the masters of the ceremony while all their underlings feast on the sacrifices. At least, that was the case for Griffith's ceremony. It could be different for each case, though.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Apostles aren't there as enforcers, they're just there for the scraps. Anyway, ceremonies can't be escaped by the methods you're describing, whether there are apostles or not. Sacrificial ceremonies take place in a dimensional rift, which don't have a proper name, but for convenience sake we call them the God Hand's dimensions. We've seen them a number of times, notably in volume 3 and volumes 12-13 (although the latter is likely somewhere different, for special occasions maybe :void:)

The only time we've seen someone escape, it was through extraordinary means — SK bursting in through the eclipsed sun.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
gh-zodd said:
I thought to myself, what would happen if there was only 1 or 2 apostles present at the time of the ceremony, could a group like the band of the Hawk escape, or even win?

In that hypothetical scenario, maybe. But keep in mind it probably didn't happen like that. For an Occultation ceremony to happen in a way similar to the one depicted in volumes 12 and 13, there would need to at least be one member of the God Hand already. And if there was one, he could have created a certain number of apostles by the time the first ceremony came around.

Besides, the fact we haven't seen the God Hand direct kill the sacrificed does not mean they can't do it or wouldn't if the need arose. Femto didn't have a problem with getting involved, both in volume 3 when Guts attacked him or in volume 13 when he raped Casca and attacked the Skull Knight. And you have to keep in mind that those things don't happen arbitrarily. They're ordained by a superior entity (the Idea of Evil) through the principle of causality. Like Walter said, the people being sacrificed never stand a chance outside of extremely rare incidents, like what happened to Guts & Casca.

Now of course you might wonder how the very first member of the God Hand came to be, but we don't have an answer to that question. What's sure is that it must have differed from Femto's ceremony.

gh-zodd said:
Maybe not win but what about if the sacrifice was not an ordinary person, but someone like a Flora / Guts in armor, or even :SK: ?

Well if we are to just wildly speculate, it's possible that Gaiseric fought to death using the Berserk's armor during one such ceremonies. He held them off, but died from his wounds... Only to return as we know him: a silent guardian, a watchful protector, a SKULL KNIGHT. :badbone:

gh-zodd said:
-First few apostles chose something they couldn't kill, like a small army or person with great power.

Like Gobolatula said it's the Vortex of Souls that takes the sacrificed during apostle ceremonies, as shown in volume 3 (with the Count) and episode 303 (Ganishka).

gh-zodd said:
I mean its plausible that Magic users and such know about ceremonies and God Hand because a survivor told them right?

Well Flora learned it one way or another. But really, it's extremely unlikely for many reasons that there was ever a large number of people having survived their sacrifice. For one thing those events are planned and the people selected in advance, like I mentioned earlier. It's not random. As for "dropping in" on ceremonies, I don't see how they could even predict their location.

I see :)

so even if the very first ceremony had just 1 apostle or he/she being the first apostle created, the vortex of souls would still be enormous at that point.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Yup, when it comes to apostles it doesn't really matter. Besides, typically apostles sacrifice people who are close to them, not whole armies or people of greater power. Again, you should keep in mind that those events are preordained by causality.

Top Bottom