New Berserk animation project confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walter said:
Yep. Ewok grabbed the original Flash .flv file allowing me to screen capture it at high resolution. It's MUUUUUCH more pretty, and several more details are evident. Here's the best of the best screens:

THOSE ARE BEAUTIFUL SCREENS!!!! Thanks Ewok and Walt!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
If you like that, you're going to love this:

http://www.skullknight.net/griffith/news_bg.jpg

Stolen directly from the official site.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:

There isn't an appropriate emoticon for this feeling.

And on the other side of the railroad tracks, there's this: http://skullknight.net/images/anime-screens/berserkanimeHQ-17a.jpg

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Griffith said:

It's amazing.
Like we were talking on the chat room, it makes the HD trailer look like shit.

Walter said:
And on the other side of the railroad tracks, there's this: http://skullknight.net/images/anime-screens/berserkanimeHQ-17a.jpg

LOL. Well, if you were being ambushed and about to kill someone, your face wouldn't be too pretty either! :troll:

Crossing my fingers for the possibility of distributing news for a north american release at comic con next week! It seems all to appropriate since the site and trailer have just been recently revealed :???:

Sammoniac

You taffers!
Walter said:
To all those having trouble accessing berserkfilm.com here's what you'll be greeted with after you get past the trailer:

I visited the website 3 times and got a different landscape each time. Here's an other :

Berserkfilm1.jpg

All of them are nicely done!

turkitage

ターク
Walter said:
Yep. Ewok grabbed the original Flash .flv file allowing me to screen capture it at high resolution. It's MUUUUUCH more pretty, and several more details are evident. Here's the best of the best screens:

Holy crap!! Thank you very much Ewok and Wally!! These are beautiful.

Griffith said:

Man.. I knew you would come in handy one of these days! This is by far my favorite one and... it's kinda my desktop background right now. :guts:

I have one question: W00t the hell everything on berserkfilm.com is on japanese ?
This is like worldwide movie so if they want to catch up west they need it to be on ENG!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:

I'm not loving the characters looking like they've been drawn on top of the picture using Macromedia Flash 4.0.

voodoo_sh said:
I have one question: W00t the hell everything on berserkfilm.com is on japanese ?
This is like worldwide movie so if they want to catch up west they need it to be on ENG!

The movie hasn't been announced outside of Japan so far. That website is geared towards Japanese people. Clara_de_Porras tweeted in English 40 minutes ago, but you shouldn't expect more of an effort until a worldwide release is confirmed. And even then, their focus will probably (and understandably) remain on the Japanese audience. Honestly I think you should enjoy the news we're getting right now. Remember what you guys were saying a few weeks ago.

Griffith said:

The characters really suck.... It's really ugly and disappointing... Look at the way the shadows are on these characters it's really ugly... and this line is way too thick and look at the feet of Guts there is some serious proportions problems....

However I have to say that the backgrounds are really beautiful and amazing... They really got some great amount of details and great works and atmosphere I wish the characters on this picture weren't as ugly as they seem to me... :sad:

Griffith

Aazealh said:
I'm not loving the characters looking like they've been drawn on top of the picture using Macromedia Flash 4.0.

I was referring to the image quality, not the quality of the image. =)

Theoden said:
The characters really suck.... It's really ugly and disappointing... Look at the way the shadows are on these characters it's really ugly... and this line is way too thick and look at the feet of Guts there is some serious proportions problems....

However I have to say that the backgrounds are really beautiful and amazing... They really got some great amount of details and great works and atmosphere I wish the characters on this picture weren't as ugly as they seem to me... :sad:
Theoden said:
I agree, look at those matchstick ankles!

gutsimpson.jpg

I don't mind that so much in the long shots because they're not meant to be scrutinized that way and I don't think it's going to matter in context. What makes the image impressive is that it looks so clean and clear that one can scrutinize it that way. Just compare it to the version Walter captured from the 780p trailer, and then imagine that difference in quality applied to closeups like this image he took, only at 60 fps.

I'd like to see that. :griffnotevil:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Griffith said:
I don't mind that so much in the long shots because they're not meant to be scrutinized that way and I don't think it's going to matter in context.

Exactly. Screenshots can show us the level of detail in a given image (I especially like the attention to detail on Guts' helmet in the screenshot Walter posted), but we should really be judging these images while they're in motion. Let's leave the still images to Miura and base our opinions solely on the animation itself. No screenshot is going to compare to Miura's level of detail and character design.

DarkDragoon

Kuro no mahoutsukai
Theoden said:

I'm glad someone else is thinking the way I am. I think the picture looks like crap. The background is beautiful, don't get me wrong, but the character art is pitiful. It doesn't look anything at all like Miura's detailed, beautiful art style. The way they're standing, the extreme lack of detail, the overly bold lines, everything looks awkward. Not only is Guts' outfit wrong, but his wrong sword doesn't even have the correct studs on the guard. I don't mean to be a complainer, but I just really don't think that picture is anything to love. Sure it's bright, clean and colorful, but since when does bright, clean and colorful have anything to do with Berserk? The only bright side is that it really does looks like test footage. That shot was made quite a while ago for promotional things, so I can't imagine the finished product will be the same.

This may be old and grainy, but it definitely looks better
anime.jpg

Griffith said:
I don't mind that so much in the long shots because they're not meant to be scrutinized that way and I don't think it's going to matter in context.

Well on that shot http://www.skullknight.net/griffith/news_bg.jpg
I believe the characters aren't supposed to move or If they do, they move slowly.

I agree with the fact that criticizing a shot in full and fast motion is out of context, but with this shot that I was talking about it makes sense, simply because they are supposed to stay still a moment.
Also, modifying proportions or anything are some trick used in animation style so I understand If sometimes it's really ugly but on shots without any moves or slowly ones I think it's not tolerable.

By the way, Griffith seems to look at the sun which is pretty ridiculous on that shot :troll:

There were more skilled traditional animators back then. These days the computer has spoiled everyone unfortunately. It also might be because studio 4C is used to taking liberties with proportions. Just look at Tenton Kinkreet or however you spell that.

Griffith

DarkDragoon said:
I'm glad someone else is thinking the way I am.

Like you're going to experience the movie in the form of random still frames? =)

DarkDragoon said:
It doesn't look anything at all like Miura's detailed, beautiful art style.

Of course not, but that's not a fair standard to apply to every frame or even shot of an animation (I mean, it would be nice, but c'mon). I don't disagree with your critiques in themselves, just the attention you're giving to something that could just as well be insignificant, if not a non-factor, in the final product.

DarkDragoon said:
Sure it's bright, clean and colorful, but since when does bright, clean and colorful have anything to do with Berserk?

Miura's detailed, beautiful art style when he does color images. I'm only saying because it's kind of a misnomer that everything about Berserk should be painted black.

DarkDragoon said:
The only bright side is that it really does looks like test footage. That shot was made quite a while ago for promotional things, so I can't imagine the finished product will be the same.

I do hope you're right, but again, then you're also making a big deal over a still frame of a wide shot from old test footage. Much ado about nothing at this point. I mean, what did you think of the HD trailer itself, similarly grieved?

DarkDragoon said:
This may be old and grainy, but it definitely looks better http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v42/DarkDragoon/anime.jpg?t=1310749304
NightCrawler said:
I was waiting for someone to post the 97 version. Comparing the two, the older definitely looks better.

Well, aside from the detail size being way different, it should look better since in that version the characters actually are still images. =) In this version there's fluid movement, which is the tradeoff, and another reason this shouldn't be judged equivalently with what's essentially still art, since that's not what this is. Having said that, let's do it anyway!

comparemanga02.jpg

compare9702.jpg

comparenew02.jpg

Miura wins! No surprise. As for the other two... not so cut and dry. They each have their positives and negatives when you consider everything like clarity, atmosphere, and fluidity. So yeah, I'm not saying you should jump for joy, just don't jump off a bridge either.

BTW, let me know if you have any requests for comparison.

Theoden said:
Well on that shot http://www.skullknight.net/griffith/news_bg.jpg
I believe the characters aren't supposed to move or If they do, they move slowly.

I agree with the fact that criticizing a shot in full and fast motion is out of context, but with this shot that I was talking about it makes sense, simply because they are supposed to stay still a moment.

Also, modifying proportions or anything are some trick used in animation style so I understand If sometimes it's really ugly

I think that's a very fair assessment, and I hope it isn't an issue in the final cut.

Theoden said:
but on shots without any moves or slowly ones I think it's not tolerable.

Not tolerable? What are you going to do, edit it out like some nut!?

CCS said:
There were more skilled traditional animators back then. These days the computer has spoiled everyone unfortunately. It also might be because studio 4C is used to taking liberties with proportions. Just look at Tenton Kinkreet or however you spell that.

I love how political this all is, with two parrallel arguments going on between warring factions of Berserk snobs and anime snobs. :guts:

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Characters - 97 wins by far
Background - 2012 wins for the detail
Atmosphere - none can't really compare to Miura's
Also the snow on the new one just looks like some milky fog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom