Movies you've recently watched

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Griffith said:
Pretty much, except I'd say "but I expected a little more" in light of its notoriety. It kind of meandered on and on and then abruptly ended for one thing, and the made up girl wasn't really worth making up as she was largely inconsequential to most of the movie, and thye more interesting issues at hand. It just seemed shoehorned in there to turn it into a simple parable. Truth is stranger than fiction, and as always I think just presenting the story as factually as possible would have been infinitely more compelling.

I thought at one point the movie would go in a Rashomon kind of storytelling but it ended up being bland and straightforward. Stylized enough to keep me interested. Although the overly witty super non-realistic fast dialogue almost made it unwatchable. Definitely Fincher's worst movie *picks up rock for the first one who dares to mention Alien 3* :azan:
It'll probably win the best picture Oscar, and will be remembered with other amazing winners like Crash and Shakespeare in Love.

Griffith go watch "Exit" and join in the fun, i think it's on Netflix instant if you go the paragon way ;)

NightCrawler said:
He'll probably get arrested like Polanski.

I wouldn't be surprised, but I doubt he'd be foolish enough to let himself get caught now after everything he's been through.

NightCrawler said:
Stylized enough to keep me interested.

The Social Network's opening credits with the gorgeous night shots and Reznor & Ross' song playing in the background is my favorite part of the movie by far. But yeah, a totally forgettable plot, with a main character as uncharismatic as Tron Legacy's. Maybe that was the point but I doubt it, there are some scenes that are obviously trying to make us "connect" with him.

Alien 3 is much better IMO and I'm not even kidding.

Even Fincher doesn't understand all the praise.

Alien 3 looks really good, so bleak and dirty, Ripley is always sweating and bleeding, the alien is disgusting (when he's not that light green CGI thing) and the setting is awesome. But I think it is kinda tedious and messy and has some weird inconsistencies and takes a dump on Aliens, so calling it a masterpiece is going a bit too far IMO. It's probably fair to call it a good movie that people hated especially for the reason you mentioned (it not being Alien or Aliens).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
"I didn’t really agree with the critics’ praise"; "Zodiac” was thematically richer."

:ubik: Right on Fincher.

Zodiac was fucking boring; its story would have been more at home in an episode of CSI.

Eluvei said:
But I think it is kinda tedious and messy and has some weird inconsistencies

Damn straight.

The Social Network's pretty much a commercial story-telling for what might have transpired. The drugs, privacy issues, etc. aren't really touched up on. It's more drama you'd see on an episode of Gossip Girl.

Alien 3's extended cut > theatrical version. Even then, it drags in a couple of parts with the priest and the inmates, but it also flows better than the choppy editing on the theatrical version. I have to admit that my love for Alien went up a lot after watching the extended cut with improved sound/ picture quality on the BR.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Jeff Goldblum Fan said:
This is so wrong it's hilarious.
Was there anything special about Zodiac? I also felt it missed the mark, to say it lightly. Sell it to me, Goldblum.

Walter said:
Was there anything special about Zodiac? I also felt it missed the mark, to say it lightly. Sell it to me, Goldblum.
If you don't like longer, more ponderous films where not much happens, you won't like it. There's nothing I can really say to "sell" it.

I liked Electroma a lot, so take that as you will.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Jeff Goldblum Fan said:
If you don't like longer, more ponderous films where not much happens, you won't like it. There's nothing I can really say to "sell" it.

I think that's the point of calling it boring.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Jeff Goldblum Fan said:
longer, more ponderous films where not much happens

I guess Gyllenhaal's poignant portrayal of his mentally challenged character is what did it for you.

NightCrawler

Just for the record, i'm not this troll "Jeff Goldblum Fan".

I didn't find Zodiac boring at all. I thought it was way more interesting and suspenseful than The Social Network. But i enjoy slow movies. Electroma (pretentious mess) doesn't got shit on Tsai Ming-Liang's movies. Watch Goodbye Dragon-Inn, if you survive that movie and still find it absolutely beautiful, then you'll receive your cool film buff card.

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
I watched Tron Legacy. And I liked it. In fact, it's one of my favorite films of 2010.

Yes, that's right, I liked Tron Legacy. I didn't go in expecting some fancy masterpiece of a plot, or award winning performances. I just wanted lightcycles to blow up, neon lights to blind my ass, and Jeff Bridges to flip-flop between hippy god and menacing computer program. And I wasn't disappointed.

Tron Legacy is a fun film, with great action, an awesome soundtrack, decent pacing, and an alright script. It got me in the mood to rewatch the original too. Holy cow, that film has aged horribly. It's borderline unwatchable. And it'll be great in 20 years when I think the same about Legacy.

NightCrawler

So, Black Swan...

What an amazing year for Satoshi Kon. Dying of pancreatic cancer at a premature age and being ripped off twice. Usually i can tolerate plagiarism when the author aknowledges the source/inspiration, but since to this day both Aronofsky and Nolan decide not to address Kon's influence, i say fuck them both.
Well, technically Aronofsky can plagiarize all he wants since he bought the rights to Perfect Blue. But flat out lie and say no when he's asked if Perfect Blue was an inspiration for Black Swan? Well you ain't fooling me.

NightCrawler said:
So, Black Swan...

What an amazing year for Satoshi Kon. Dying of pancreatic cancer at a premature age and being ripped off twice. Usually i can tolerate plagiarism when the author aknowledges the source/inspiration, but since to this day both Aronofsky and Nolan decide not to address Kon's influence, i say fuck them both.
Well, technically Aronofsky can plagiarize all he wants since he bought the rights to Perfect Blue. But flat out lie and say no when he's asked if Perfect Blue was an inspiration for Black Swan? Well you ain't fooling me.

Can you be more specific using spoiler tags? I won't watch this because it's an Aronofsky movie.

I only heard it stole ideas from the Apartment Trilogy (The Tenant in particular) but nothing about Perfect Blue.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Have you seen Perfect Blue? It's kinda hard to dismiss the similarities, but I didn't know he bought the rights to the film. That makes it... kinda worse. Anyway I saw Black Swan a while back but didn't bother to post about it since I didn't think it was as mind blowingly amazing as it was put out to be. I really didn't have much to say about it. It was okay, I didn't dislike it, but the plot seemed obvious and it had some really typical shock/scare moments that I thought were beneath Aronofsky. The best part about the whole experience were the performances. I like Vincent Cassel and Winona Ryder (her part was really small though) and Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis were very good (I usually can't stand Portman). Also I got to give it up to Barbara Hershey as the mother, she was very good.

While I still enjoyed it, I like to think Aronofsky is capable of a much more in the suspense/ thriller departmeant.

Oburi said:
Have you seen Perfect Blue? It's kinda hard to dismiss the similarities

I have, but I probably won't waste my time on another Aronofsky since I'm of the opinion that his films vary from mediocre to garbage. Hence why I asked him to tell me more about the similarities.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Eluvei said:
I have, but I probably won't waste my time on another Aronofsky since I'm of the opinion that his films vary from mediocre to garbage. Hence why I asked him to tell me more about the similarities.

At this point I agree and I'm sure someone somewhere has a list of similarities, but I sure as hell don't feel like doing it.

This link pretty much sums it - http://www.badassdigest.com/2010/12/14/borders-line-is-black-swan-the-perfect-blue-remake-weve-been-waiting-for

Monsters_2010_movie_poster.jpg

Monster - watched this the other night, I remember seeing trailers for it last year and wanting to see it in the theater, but never had the time for it. Now I'm watching it and thinking "Phew, I saved my money on the ticket + popcorn". The movie has a cool concept at it's core but lacks execution. Shift Delete for me, and I want my time back :femto:

NightCrawler

Oburi said:
Have you seen Perfect Blue? It's kinda hard to dismiss the similarities, but I didn't know he bought the rights to the film. That makes it... kinda worse.

It's said that he actually bought the rights to copy this scene for Requiem for a Dream:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anlHmGA-Bvs

So i guess he's been picking stuff from Perfect Blue for a while now.

paranormal-activity-2-0.jpg

Paranormal Activity 2 - Gotta admit there were some scenes that startled me, but overall I wasn't too scared by this one. It was slightly predictable, and something just lacked. The first movie was fun, this felt long.

Oburi

All praise Grail
IncantatioN said:
Paranormal Activity 2 - Gotta admit there were some scenes that startled me, but overall I wasn't too scared by this one.

Very startling movie isn't it? I was startled many times. :troll:

Hah. Just about 2 scenes that got sort of 'in your face' unexpectedly, more of a shock factor. I love Horror movies that don't rely on gore, and this didn't hit the spot.

Top Bottom