Movies you've recently watched

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Watched Cedar Rapids and Scott Pilgrim vs. The World over the weekend and enjoyed both of them a lot.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Saw Kick Ass and Tron: Legacy this weekend, and while Kick Ass was certainly over the top, for the most part it was surprisingly underwhelming in its extremity. Tron was, as Eluvei warned, as dumb as Olivia Wilde was hot. The CGI really looked like it, and I think Zeus was the best and worst part of the movie.

Kick Ass - Story about "real" superheroes the most hyperrealistic yet!

Tron: Legacy - It's basically Star Wars: A New Hope if George Lucas made it today.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
hicks.jpg

Griffith

Played by Dennis Leary! :troll:

Love Hicks, he was a smart and aggressive social comedian, but the saving the world and "he still might" crap on the poster is a bit much. Can they at least pretend they're keeping it in perspective and not aggrandizing someone because they died? I feel that would be the more credibly effective method of celebrating his career. Anyway, how was it, I take it the poster indicates a positive review?

NightCrawler

Griffith said:
Played by Dennis Leary! :troll:

Love Hicks, he was a smart and aggressive social comedian, but the saving the world and "he still might" crap on the poster is a bit much. Can they at least pretend they're keeping it in perspective and not aggrandizing someone because they died? I feel that would be the more credibly effective method of celebrating his career. Anyway, how was it, I take it the poster indicates a positive review?

I agree with you on the poster.
I'm not really sure what the point of this documentary was. The first half was very boring, and only focused on his background and his family and friends. It's only after that point that we get to see Hick's life and material as we know today. But still, only those same people from the first half talk through the whole thing, mixed with the clips that are already widely available to everyone on the internet.
I was expecting a lot more. More about his impact and influence, and why his comedy is still fresh and contemporary. If you know his work, you won't get anything new from this besides a few personal stories and videos when he was doing standup during his early teens . If you are curious about him, i doubt this documentary will make you take interest in his comedy.
It's well made, but i only recommend it to fans.

matt-damon-new-adjustment-bureau-posters.jpg

Adjustment Bureau - was decent, I thought there would be a lot more action but it turned out to be more of a love story. Just about decent. Emily Blunt was ravishing ^_~

images

Drive Angry in 3D - went for this right after AB, and it was kinda free so I didn't mind. It's over the top, don't ask any questions, silly sorta flick. Amber did what she could to entice me to watch it, and she scored! Fichtner's character was interesting.

Griffith

IncantatioN said:
Drive Angry in 3D - went for this right after AB, and it was kinda free so I didn't mind.

Hey buddy, perhaps you should check SK.net's policy on movie hopping before shooting your mouth off like that!? Pull a stunt like that with the upcoming Berserk movie and you're outta here! :badbone:

IncantatioN said:
It's over the top, don't ask any questions, silly sorta flick. Amber did what she could to entice me to watch it, and she scored! Fichtner's character was interesting.

Wow, you wrote like a genuine review of Drive Angry, "The character of the Devil's main henchman, The Accountant, played by William Fichtner, follows a long tradition of charismatic anti-heroes, from Satan in Milton's Paradise Lost to skullknight.net's paradiselost."

UGH, after I wrote that joke, I went to check on the name of the The Accountant character and saw that Cage's was named "Milton," and following up on that it's in fact "John Milton." So, it really is referencing Paradise Lost!
gutsbarf.gif

These 3 friends of mine had planned to watch both movies back to back. I was only interested in AB but one of the guys had to run while AB was playing, so I watched Drive Angry in 3D on his ticket with the rest of the group. There was no way I was going to pay for that movie haha! On a related note, I'm not good with accepting things for free, even with band merchandise or backstage passes, I insist on paying and get my way ^_^. If the Berserk movie premiers in a different city, I might bite the bullet and fly there if I have to XD. You coming? Could have a little SK.Net meet out there :zodd:

Haha good one! I'll be a little more descriptive next time :farnese:

EDIT: Speaking of Amber - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdN0ekWKHGs

Oburi

All praise Grail
Shit I might even fly out to see the Berserk movie with fellow Skullknighters. My mom said I could use her timeshare to do some traveling anyway :guts:

I saw Rango last night which I found far more exciting than I had thought possible. First off, Depp's voice is really great (I had my doubts), in fact he speaks so fast at parts that I actually missed the joke. It's got that fast paced, witty dialog that ended up being very funny and makes repeated viewings something to look forward too. Another thing I liked was how much it took from Italian Westerns, specifically Leone's Dollars Trilogy (
The Man With No Name even makes a special appearance
)! Being a huge fan of Italian westerns I geeked out at how many little nods I saw to the classic films, which I'm sure next to nobody else in a theater full of children and parents got. Some obvious ones are in the music, one song could very well be a remix of the Harmonica theme from Once Upon A Time in The West, and Rango's theme was a reference to the film Django (obvious I guess) but if anyone remembers that classic song (DJANGOOOO, DJANGOOOO) well yea, same thing. Anyway it was VERY funny and oddly enough it had some pretty pg-13 type stuff in it as well. They say "hell" a few times throughout and there's even a "damn" thrown in. Not to mention some edgy adult humor that might have gone over even some parents heads, certainly not any fan of Depp though, which by the way had several nods to his own movies. I caught four right at the start, from Jack Sparrow to Don Juan De Marco, and a hilarious scene that looks like it could have been lifted straight from the beginning of Fear And Loathing
(it's literally Hunter driving that red convertible and seeing Rango on his windshield, he freaks out and mumbles something like "I told you about these lizards" or something like that).

Wow didn't think I had so much to say about Rango, but yea I really liked it and if you're familiar with spaghetti westerns and Johnny Depp's filmography, then you're sure to enjoy it even more.

Griffith

IncantatioN said:
These 3 friends of mine had planned to watch both movies back to back. I was only interested in AB but one of the guys had to run while AB was playing, so I watched Drive Angry in 3D on his ticket with the rest of the group. There was no way I was going to pay for that movie haha! On a related note, I'm not good with accepting things for free, even with band merchandise or backstage passes, I insist on paying and get my way ^_^. If the Berserk movie premiers in a different city, I might bite the bullet and fly there if I have to XD. You coming? Could have a little SK.Net meet out there :zodd:

Haha good one! I'll be a little more descriptive next time :farnese:

mrbone.jpg
Alright... I'll let you go THIS TIME, but I've got my EYE on you, mister!

Oburi

All praise Grail
I finally got around to seeing the Fighter the other night. I thought it was really good, even though I'm not really into those type of movies (boxing/wrestling/ whatever) and I really don't care for David O. Russel or even Walhberg for that matter (save Boogie Nights) but I thouroughly enjoyed it. It didn't ever seem to drag either (seemed pretty short) and Bale was fantastic. After getting accustomed to him being Bruce Wayne/ Batman, John Connor and all the "hero" roles it was good to see him put himself out there as a disgusting, drug addicted loser. I couldn't help but laugh at some of his facial expressions and closeups, I mean he really put himself out there. Just very well played I must say. The fact that it took place close to home too was pretty cool for me, they even got the accents down, no problem. The only one I didn't like was Amy Adams, I thought she came across a little too strong, like trying to be too much of a badass Boston chick. I didn't really buy it.

Overall, I thought it was great.

I watched Dogtooth last night. It was a splendidly dark little film, kind of reminded me of the Australian movie Bad Boy Bubby. Slightly disturbing, often very funny, I enjoyed it.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I saw The King's Speech over the weekend. Man, you guys weren't kidding; Timothy Spall's portrayal of Winston Churchill was atrocious. Rod Taylor was a better Winston Churchill in Inglourious Basterds and he only had three lines. Anyway, that minor role aside, the movie was very enjoyable and Geoffrey Rush, Colin Firth and Helena Bonham Carter were as good as ever.

I need to check out Dogtooth and The King's Speech *sigh*

inside-job.jpg

Inside Job - it's a documentary that takes you through a series of interviews and explains how the economy is the way it is today. It also goes into detail into the roles of the few key players responsible for the regularization of some systems that were in place, all the way back to Reagan's presidency. Matt Damon's the voice of the Narrator throughout this well-made, engaging flick.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Just watched Kill Bill volumes 1 and 2. I don't know how I miss these huge movies until years after they've been released. I enjoyed them quite a bit, enough to keep my eyes glued on the TV. They were all around simply entertaining to watch. I don't know if I've seen any other films that possessed such an eccentric personality.

Oh, I saw Tangled, too. It was super cute and the animation was fantastic. Good to know Disney still knocks them out of the park.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Aphasia, if you enjoyed the regular versions of kill bill I highly reccomend you watch japanese cut of the film. Once I saw that version I can never fully enjoy the theatrical again. There are only a few minor changes but imo they improve the film so much more. The anime scene is longer and the final fight is also extended and is in its full beautiful color, the way its meant to be. I seriously refuse to watch any other version than that one.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I saw Rango over the weekend and loved every gorgeously animated bit of it. I can't understand why they used the four or five worst parts of the movie to advertise it on television and in theaters.

Watched Rango last night at a 20something capacity theater for a 7:30 PM show up-town on the East side of Manhattan. Fun movie which wasn't all about goofy humor, but good ol intelligent stuff yet simply put for the younger teens (and upwards) I suppose.
Clint's scene was epic haha

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Just finished watching " The Fighter". I liked it, Bale's performance was great and Wahlberg was good as well. Not too many fights, but not the only bouts that have to be fought.

Griffith

Had a few hours to kill yesterday so I went to see Paul because I knew it would meet my moderate entertainment needs without having to worry about expectations (had a lot of nice nerdy references). Rango and Battle: LA were my other candidates. Rango I'm saving if my GF wants to go and because it might actually be good, and Battle: LA... too high risk, low reward. Exciting stuff, huh? :carcus:

Oh yeah, I've been on a run of Batman movies lately. I got it in my head that Batman Begins might technically be the best Bats movie, which upon reexamination, two boring hours later, was a notion best left to my imagination after not seeing it for a while. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is still awesome, when you can combine elements of classic movies like Citizen Kane, Casablanca and others with Batman the animated series, you win. I'm convinced Batman 1989 is still the best Batman movie; best Batman, costume, mobile, Joker, music, cinematography, mythology, etc. It's the perfect self-contained Batman movie. Returns was lot worse for the ware, a serious downgrade from the original in just about every way, it almost makes the direction the last two went in less surprising, as it was on its way with that one (also more understandable that Keaton bolted when he did). Forever is more terribly unwatchable than I remembered, and I remembered it mainly for that. Batman & Robin... Fuck No. As for The Dark Knight, it's still the most serious and probably best film ever made about a super hero... just not the best Batman movie. =)

So, no surprises here, the holy trinity remains Batman, Mask of the Phantasm, and The Dark Knight.

NightCrawler

Griffith said:
Had a few hours to kill yesterday so I went to see Paul because I knew it would meet my moderate entertainment needs without having to worry about expectations (had a lot of nice nerdy references). Rango and Battle: LA were my other candidates. Rango I'm saving if my GF wants to go and because it might actually be good, and Battle: LA... too high risk, low reward. Exciting stuff, huh? :carcus:

Oh yeah, I've been on a run of Batman movies lately. I got it in my head that Batman Begins might be the best Bats movie, which upon reexamination was a notion best left to my imagination after not seeing it for a while. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is still awesome, when you can combine elements of classic movies like Citizen Kane, Casablanca and others with Batman the animated series, you win. I'm convinced Batman 1989 is still the best Batman movie; best Batman, costume, mobile, Joker, music, cinematography, mythology, etc. It's the perfect self-contained Batman movie. Returns was lot worse for the ware, a serious downgrade from the original in just about every way, it almost makes the direction the last two went in less surprising, as it was on its way with that one (also more understandable that Keaton bolted when he did). Forever is more terribly unwatchable than I remembered, and I remembered it mainly for that. Batman & Robin... Fuck No. As for The Dark Knight, it's still the most serious and probably best film ever made about a super hero... just not the best Batman movie. =)

So, no surprises here, the holy trinity remains Batman, Mask of the Phantasm, and The Dark Knight.

I think Nolan's Batman movies will not age well. Begins is stale and boring as hell.
I saw The Dark Knight for the second time and what kills it from being a great movie is the final act. Specially the ferry scene, a cliché ridden cheese fest which is barely watchable.
The Joker is written as chaotic in personality, unstable and unpredictable, driven on a whim – he even admits to Harvey Dent that he hates "schemers and planners", and that he has no real plan. So, given all this, why does everything the Joker does in this film obviously require some of the most meticulous, detailed and foresighted planning ever?
Visually, Burton's Batman is unique and is still amazing to watch. It's bigger in scope and although there are some issues with the script, it's self-contained and feels cohesive. And I still find the idea of loneliness being a major theme to Batman more interesting than the whole justice vs. corruption vs who watches the watchmen thing. Keaton did a great job with that.
Even though i think Bale was a good choice for the part, i don't think Nolan is getting good performances out of him. Maybe it's the direction, maybe it's just the way the character is written.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
I think Nolan's Batman movies will not age well. Begins is stale and boring as hell.

Agreed on both counts. I never understood why people praised Begins as much as they did when it came out.

NightCrawler said:
I saw The Dark Knight for the second time and what kills it from being a great movie is the final act. Specially the ferry scene, a cliché ridden cheese fest which is barely watchable.

I don't think Dent should have been in the movie. I felt that the Two-Face segment was half-assed.

Griffith

NightCrawler said:

Indeed, but Begins is just a stepping stone to Dark Knight, that's where the debate ultimately lies.

NightCrawler said:

Didn't you like it when Batman entered the Matrix? That was worth the boring half hour subplot in the first act of the movie. Anyway, yeah, that ferry scene sticks out like a sore thumb, always did. It's irredeemably lame and contrived, but the rest is negotiable. I don't agree that it kills it, mainly due to the Joker's, Batman's, and Gordon's speeches to conclude the film and what it signifies for Batmartyr's life. Basically, after nearly blowing it down the stretch, Nolan hit the game winning shot at the buzzer.

NightCrawler said:
The Joker is written as chaotic in personality, unstable and unpredictable, driven on a whim – he even admits to Harvey Dent that he hates "schemers and planners", and that he has no real plan. So, given all this, why does everything the Joker does in this film obviously require some of the most meticulous, detailed and foresighted planning ever?

It's definitely a conflict in the hospital scene, but not necessarily the movie overall (he's pretty much an all too brilliant planner throughout). Beside the basic rationalizations that he's A) insane, and B) conning Dent and telling him what he needs to hear to turn into Two-Face, it's also C) not inaccurate for the Joker to say he's turning the schemes against the schemers and has no real long term plans himself, other than engineering chaos and insanity, as symbolized by his burning all the money. Again, insanity covers a lot for inconsistency, and can even make it a plus.

NightCrawler said:
Visually, Burton's Batman is unique and is still amazing to watch. It's bigger in scope and although there are some issues with the script, it's self-contained and feels cohesive. And I still find the idea of loneliness being a major theme to Batman more interesting than the whole justice vs. corruption vs who watches the watchmen thing. Keaton did a great job with that.

Completely agree, it's still the best, but I still like Dark Knight for its commitment to the idea of Batman in the real world, even if it's somewhat self-defeating.

Aazealh said:
Agreed on both counts. I never understood why people praised Begins as much as they did when it came out.

Every scene with Liam Neeson is worthwhile, too bad that's only 10% of the movie. :guts:

Aazealh said:
I don't think Dent should have been in the movie. I felt that the Two-Face segment was half-assed.

That depends on how much you care about Two-Face. I thought Dent's role was central to the movie's themes, and put Two-Face to better use than a full-assed take on him would have. It was all setup and paid off in one shot, and I much prefer that to some setup for the next movie where he's a second-rate Joker clone. Plus, they got in two super villains without it being an awful team up with them battling for bad guy screen time. They managed to make it all somewhat organic and connected, like it didn't just happen another theatrical criminal randomly showed up again, which was all well done. The actual Two-Face screen time was like a bonus to me, I was happy to have him, and happy he didn't wear out his welcome.

NightCrawler said:
Indeed. Two-Face was as poorly used as in the Schumacher movie.

Don't kid yourself, I just watched it again this week, and if Tommy Lee Jones goes to Hell his punishment will be to wear that awful Two-Face Halloween costume until he gives a shit.

Top Bottom