Movies you've recently watched

Oburi

All praise Grail
Getting a bluray for my b-day so I went ahead and bought the most recent box set collection of Apocalypse Now , an essential for anyone's bluray collection and one of my personal favorite movies. I also bought Moon just because it's probably my favorite sci-fi of the last ten years.

Actually, because I've been on a sci-fi kick recently (mainly because I can't wait for Prometheus) I've been asking people what their favorite sci-fi films are. Anyone care to name some essentials?

Going through my collection - 2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, Blade Runner, Moon, Minority Report, War Of The Worlds (both versions), The Fly, Alien ofcourse, Road, THX 1138, The Road Warrior, Primer, Dune, Tron, Heston's Planet Of The Apes, Dark City, Gattaca, Terminator, Tarkovsky's Solaris + Stalker, Timecrimes, Metropolis, The Andromeda Strain (76), Brazil, Verhoeven's Robocop, Star Trek (2009), District 9, Children Of Men, Predator, Altered States, Event Horizon, Soylent Green and a bunch more. Doesn't include anime movies.

I saw Perfect Blue somewhat recently. It's a fantastic film, maybe even my favorite. It's been called a psychological thriller and I'll leave it at that; I don't want to give away any details.

Whoa, a 21 Jump Street comic movie? Man they're really out of ideas these days.

To quote the movie:

Fortunately for you two, we're reviving a canceled undercover police programme from the eighties, and revamping it for modern times. You see the guys in charge of this stuff lack creativity and are completely out of ideas. So all they do now is recycle shit from the past and expect us all not to notice. One of these programmes involves the use of young immature seeming officers.

The movie makes fun of itself all throughout.

Groovy Metal Fist said:
I suggest adding or watching Perfect Blue, Princess Mononoke, and Grave of the Fireflies.

I saw Perfect Blue somewhat recently. It's a fantastic film, maybe even my favorite. It's been called a psychological thriller and I'll leave it at that; I don't want to give away any details.
I didn't want to get into the whole anime sci-fi genre cos it's pretty extensive! Akira's a must-watch, whether you're a fan of the manga or not, even from a technical point of view - sound, directing, animation. There's tons like Howls, Nausicaa, Paprika, The Girl Who Lept Through Time, Redline, etc.

The last one I saw was 借りぐらしのアリエッティ (or The Secret World of Arriety for the UK/US release), a nice, beautiful little movie. Very relaxing to just kick back and watch. :serpico:

Ninja edit - forgot The Borrowers was the title of the novel, not the movies :farnese:

IncantatioN said:
I didn't want to get into the whole anime sci-fi genre cos it's pretty extensive! Akira's a must-watch, whether you're a fan of the manga or not, even from a technical point of view - sound, directing, animation. There's tons like Howls, Nausicaa, Paprika, The Girl Who Lept Through Time, Redline, etc.

Perfect Blue is not a sci-fi movie. There is a small amount of spectacle for characterization and plot unlike many other movies where the story seems to be a setup for the spectacle. I haven't heard of this Redline and am midway through the Akira manga, so I'll give them a shot. I have seen Howl's Moving Castle, Paprika, and the Girl Who Lept Through Time though.

Oburi

All praise Grail
IncantatioN said:
Going through my collection - 2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, Blade Runner, Moon, Minority Report, War Of The Worlds (both versions), The Fly, Alien ofcourse, Road, THX 1138, The Road Warrior, Primer, Dune, Tron, Heston's Planet Of The Apes, Dark City, Gattaca, Terminator, Tarkovsky's Solaris + Stalker, Timecrimes, Metropolis, The Andromeda Strain (76), Brazil, Verhoeven's Robocop, Star Trek (2009), District 9, Children Of Men, Predator, Altered States, Event Horizon, Soylent Green and a bunch more. Doesn't include anime movies.

Eh, I meant more like your top three. :serpico:

Oburi said:
... I've been asking people what their favorite sci-fi films are. Anyone care to name some essentials?

Oburi said:
Eh, I meant more like your top three. :serpico:

Didn't sound like a top 3 question hah! I'd say 2001: A Space Odyssey, Alien and Blade Runner - in no particular order. SO FAR.

EDIT

cabin-in-the-woods.jpg

From listing it in the Movies to Dread section, I landed up watching it on the first day of it's release because of the high rating that surprised me. It'd been a while since I watched anything Horror related in the theater, I forgot how annoying a bunch of scared girls who love to talk incessantly during the movie could be, yeah they were right next to me too *sigh*. Moving on, I went with zero expectations and the movie was FUN. I don't want to mention anything about it because it would spoil it. All I'll say is don't watch the trailer since it gives away a lot (I still feel that) and go with this blind. It's not a scary film but it's got some scare, humor (not the cheesy kind) and a bit of gore (how can it not?) while it doesn't try to be pretentious. It doesn't have plentiful twists and turns but it doesn't show off it's cards till you get to the end. If you can hold on to reading reviews with spoilers, do so. Go check it out.

I saw Cabin in the Woods today.

It's entertaining and seems to be a parody of the horror genre. It has a lot of disturbing and cool moments and the jokes are funny (and not like Scary Movie). Unfortunately, the humor weakens the disturbing parts and I can't help but feel
let down that the story didn't give me a chance to see the greatest horror its universe had to offer. Then again witnessing a grand scale apocalypse wouldn't fit very will with the rest of the movie.

It's a good movie but not the mind blowing experience some reviewers have made it out to be.

On a side note, the trailers before this movie were not very good. Every single one of them looked like a trope filled big budget action flick. I think three of them had Jason Statham and one trailer did nothing but list the names and faces of famous actors from 10-30 years ago.

My favorite two moments were:
1. When the athlete tries to make the jump across the cliff, hits the force field and dies either from the impact or the fall.
2. Seeing Dana and Martin in the cube being randomly shuffled over what seemed to be an infinite expanse of cubes.

You're referring to the trailer for Expendables 2, that's the only trailer that got the crowd saying "Woohhoo" "Yeeaahh" and clapping >_>'.

Yeah, the humor was spot on.

IncantatioN said:
Interesting review, VHBob. I'll check it out soon enough.

Re-watched Kung Pow and Riki-Oh over the weekend with a bunch of friends. Superfun.

Check out Revenge of the Ninja.

For bad horror movie night I recommend:
-Silent Night Deadly Night 2
-Troll 2
-American Gothic

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Finally got around to watching The Last Circus, loved it. Good movie, Great acting. It's on Netflix Stream, check it out.

Death May Die said:
For bad horror movie night I recommend:
-Silent Night Deadly Night 2
-Troll 2
-American Gothic

Death Bed: The Bed that Eats

Finally bought dicsounted Goon's BD ,movie was pretty good ^^,watched Wrath of Titans and American Pie finally yesterday.I wasnt expecting much from Wrath of Titans,but it turned out to be fun,also American Pie was great,not so much boobs,maybe that made it look like something more than teen flick.

Treated myself to a double feature of "The Raid: Redemption" and "Cabin in the Woods" last night. Both were awesome, and highly enjoyable for what they were. I'd recommend them both, though i think I had a little more fun with Cabin in the Woods.

My favorite trailer was: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N8wkVA4_8s

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Saw Cabin in the Woods. Was fantastic. Guess what? (mild spoiler ahead)
There's a scifi/fantasy hook to it.
All nerds should see.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Cabin in the Woods was amazing, it gave me a warm embrace on all things horror, but the overrating surprised me. Made me think how everyone doesn't give Scream enough credit for being the first big horror deconstruction movie (
both are a big fuck you to horror movies, while being a love letter to horror as well).
Anyway, go see it, it's original, fun, changes of tone all over the place, and with tons of references, not major ones in terms of pop culture, and not annoying in the "winking at the screen" way.

In the end
i was hoping for some big tentacles to emerge. With so many references to The Old Ones, they could've used some Lovecraftian deity. Nevertheless it ended like it should have. No room for sequels. Even though i read that someone actually asked the director if there was going to be a sequel on a Q&A after a screening :ganishka: to which he responded something like "have you actually seen the movie?"

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
NightCrawler said:
Cabin in the Woods was amazing, it gave me a warm embrace on all things horror, but the overrating surprised me. Made me think how everyone doesn't give Scream Wes Craven's New Nightmare enough credit for being the first big horror deconstruction movie.

Scream was great, and recognized as such, but like The Matrix its legacy has suffered from a fatal bout of shitty sequel syndrome (not to mention the dubious distinction of inspiring the whole Insert Genre Here Movie parody franchise). Buffy the Vampire Slayer has also been brilliantly doing this in long form since 1997, cleverly juxtaposing monster movie cliches with real life.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Griffith said:
Scream was great, and recognized as such, but like The Matrix its legacy has suffered from a fatal bout of shitty sequel syndrome (not to mention the dubious distinction of inspiring the whole Insert Genre Here Movie parody franchise). Buffy the Vampire Slayer has also been brilliantly doing this in long form since 1997, cleverly juxtaposing monster movie cliches with real life.

Aha Griff, I was actually gonna write New Nightmare first (as i really loved it when it came out, and still think it's underrated), but i thought Scream would be more recognizable and appropriate for my argument. But yeah, sans shitty sequels, and the fact that everyone started making movies about clichés and parodies, basically copying the wrong ideas out of Scream.

I was never into Buffy, so i can't really comment on it.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
NightCrawler said:
Aha Griff, I was actually gonna write New Nightmare first (as i really loved it when it came out, and still think it's underrated), but i thought Scream would be more recognizable and appropriate for my argument. But yeah, sans shitty sequels, and the fact that everyone started making movies about clichés and parodies, basically copying the wrong ideas out of Scream.

Yeah, it also resurrected the slasher genre and horror movies in general to a degree. Hell, all thing's considered, Scream is secretly one of the most influential movies of the last twenty years. Unfortunately, as you noted, it's been influential for all the wrong reasons.

NightCrawler said:
I was never into Buffy, so i can't really comment on it.

I'm a recent convert and probably still can't talk about it rationally. Needless to say I'm disappointed that I wrote it off as merely a girly teeny-bopper show during it's original run; I basically thought it was what Twilight is (a good would-be lesson is not judging a book by its cover, but I will continue to nonetheless =). Now I see it more like The Simpsons or a precursor to the great novelistic TV dramas of today (The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, etc). Seriously, innovative genre television, if only more people had known about it.

I liked rubber, but its hit and miss with the people I show it to. One movie that blew my mind and gave me hope for the humanity in its pursuit of interesting filmmaking was made a few years ago:

martyrs_ver2_xlg.jpg

Top Bottom