Movies you've recently watched

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Good man.

Just finished "From Dusk Till Dawn". Edit: I've seen it before, it was me and my friends rebound movie after the atrocious "Wet Hot American Summer".

Blasphemy... Wet Hot American Summer is amazing...

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
001WHS_Christopher_Meloni_002.jpg

"He didn't say atrocious... He said, uhhh... braggadocious! He said it was braggadocious, a very braggadocious film... ... OK, seeya later. "​

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Walter said:
Atrocious? Hahaha wow! Well, uh, that's just like... your opinion, man!

Can't like all those summer camp movie parodies. :troll:

Edit: Atrocious might be harsh, but considering the people that got us to watch the movie hyped it up with words like 'amazing', 'best' and 'ever'. I expected a good comedy, but all I got was something that tried to parody summer camps, but stuck to pulling out the crap when they dredged the genera for material.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
The Avengers was fun, Hulk really stole the show.
Puny god. :ganishka:

Shame-poster.jpg

For the past 3 nights (in a row) I've watched Shame and I can't recommend it highly enough. Everything from the acting, soundtrack, dialog, pacing was sublime. McQueen and Fassbender certainly did it again, Hunger was GREAT. Long single shot scenes = win. I don't want to say more without spoiling it for everyone.

NightCrawler, did you watch it in the theater?

H

hellrasinbrasin

Just watched Shame myself and I will also refrain from spoiling anything as its a film you have to see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qgRfQ5KL2o

Enjoyed The Raid: Redemption this evening. There were some tense close-camera moments and I think I'll re-watch the movie with some cool rave music in the background instead.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Just watched the avengers. it was fun. The Hulk had his funny moments. :serpico:

Avengers,yesterday,was skeptic about it,but it turned to be fun,as Truder sad Hulk really had his moments..also i suggest who still are going to watch it,watch all the credits,there are 2 easter eggs

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Avengers was very good, and very funny. Well done, Joss Whedon. It lived up to my expectations, and was easily the best summer blockbuster I've seen in years. Possibly the last decade? Dialogue was king, as it should be in a tag-team movie like this. Every other element of the movie took a back seat.

The later action sequences really suffered on screen though. The big battle scenes felt perfunctory, and lacked the exploratory feel that those early fights had. It honestly felt like they had hired another director for these sequences. It was awkward looking—like something composed in the margins of a 10-year-old's homework assignment, and to top it off, the enemies were essentially anonymous bad guy fodder. Overall though, it was a fantastic experience.

For those who have seen the movie, there's a memorable moment involving the Hulk... my audience stood up and cheered for it. I've never seen that happen before. Awesome. :ubik:

Griffith

Agreed, I thought it was good, but not great (I don't think it necessarily aspired to greatness though). It did what it needed to do and was impressive for it, but it's not the transcendent comic book film some are making it out to be ("ultimate comic book movie," maybe =). Mainly because the inherent constraints of such an ensemble crossover project make it impossible to tell as focused a story as a single hero movie can, like The Dark Knight or even Iron Man. The Avengers themselves were good, but the story was so about them getting together it didn't feel like much else happened; though, I would have liked it to be even more about them since those parts were naturally also the best. That's the conundrum when the plot isn't the driving force, but a necessary drag. It didn't help that the bad guys ranked somewhere between the Foot Clan and the villains from Power Rangers (again, out of necessity). Another reason I think I'm slightly ambivalent is probably because my Whedon-scale is calibrated way too high. I knew he'd pull it off, but even if he hit a home run I wanted it to be a grand slam. Anyway, it felt more like a successful first effort at something like this than the culmination of comic book movies, more Batman Begins than The Dark Knight. Don't know that it'll ever be done better though unless Whedon is involved again, his sequel idea is basically to go smaller, more inside and character-driven, which I like. Though, I don't know how that will work with the setup at the end, which was one of my favorite moments of the movie. Nerds were shocked. :zodd:

Walter said:
For those who have seen the movie, there's a memorable moment involving the Hulk... my audience stood up and cheered for it. I've never seen that happen before. Awesome. :ubik:

I know exactly which scene you mean, and it was so loud in my theater I didn't even know what was said until I read it on here. :guts:

P.S. Speaking of Joss Whedon, in a funny not so coincidence concerning the earlier conversation about Cabin in the Woods, Scream, New Nightmare, and ultimately Buffy... it turns out Whedon also produced and co-wrote Cabin in the Woods. Someone's having a good summer.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
Though, I don't know how that will work with the setup at the end, which was one of my favorite moments of the movie. Nerds were shocked. :zodd:
Was anyone really surprised by that? I guessed it was him as soon as creepy alien guy said "him." Who else was it gonna be? :void:

I know exactly which scene you mean, and it was so loud in my theater I didn't even know what was said until I read it on here. :guts:
Yep. I actually had heard the line before I went in, but otherwise there's no way I would have been able to tell. I don't think the editors knew that was going to be such a big moment.

P.S. Speaking of Joss Whedon, in a funny not so coincidence concerning the earlier conversation about Cabin in the Woods, Scream, New Nightmare, and ultimately Buffy... it turns out Whedon also produced and co-wrote Cabin in the Woods. Someone's having a good summer.
It's hard to miss, his name is all up in the opening credits. And the movie has a very distinctive Whedon feel to it.

Griffith

Walter said:
Was anyone really surprised by that? I guessed it was him as soon as creepy alien guy said "him." Who else was it gonna be? :void:

Judging by the army "he" sent... Lord Zedd?

LordZeddFacepalm.jpg

For the record, I knew who it was too, but it was still a great moment. Not a character I thought I'd ever see on the big screen.

Walter said:
Yep. I actually had heard the line before I went in, but otherwise there's no way I would have been able to tell. I don't think the editors knew that was going to be such a big moment.

Yeah, a double whammy payoff for the Hulk and Loki's/Hiddleston's weaseliness.

Walter said:
It's hard to miss, his name is all up in the opening credits. And the movie has a very distinctive Whedon feel to it.

Well, I still haven't seen it, so this was interesting to learn after the fact.

Checked out the Avengers. It turned out as I expected, fun. The final fight, while spectacular, seemed to happen in a bit of a rush. As much fun as that was to watch, it was way more fun seeing all the heroes talk and interact. 'Going small' for the sequel is a fantastic idea.

The Hulk stole the show. I think I know what scene Walter's talking about above, but most scenes with the Hulk got people to light up.

The only thing I felt was too cheesy was Hawkeye's shooting things without even looking at them. :schierke:

Avengers is def. worth full price admission.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
The only thing I felt was too cheesy was Hawkeye's shooting things without even looking at them. :schierke:
You have to hand it to them for being so overbearing in their attempt to make Hawkeye look cool. :ganishka:

Walter said:
You have to hand it to them for being so overbearing in their attempt to make Hawkeye look cool. :ganishka:

Overbearing is right. I didn't really dig him being essentially
a villain
for the first half of the film either. That's just me. Once he was doing his thing though, he was ok.

Top Bottom