Movies you've recently watched

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
Overbearing is right. I didn't really dig him being essentially
a villain
for the first half of the film either. That's just me. Once he was doing his thing though, he was ok.
They had to have him do something :griffnotevil:

That and when Black Widow had Cap throw her in the air and she slickly landed on a hover-craft-thing. What's timing???
:schierke:

Tiny things aside, there wasn't much to complain about. Then again, I'm not an authority on anything Marvel at all. So there may be issues I'm unaware of.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
That and when Black Widow had Cap throw her in the air and she slickly landed on a hover-craft-thing. What's timing???
:schierke:

Tiny things aside, there wasn't much to complain about. Then again, I'm not an authority on anything Marvel at all. So there may be issues I'm unaware of.
I think they covered their basis pretty well, as far as Marvel lore is concerned. Though a few things stood out to me as being strange, but still very entertaining (
Thor using lightning on Iron Man and it only powered him up more... right, 400% my ass... Still, I laughed!
)

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
The movie was really fun indeed, but had so many stupid implausible moments:
They knew Hawkeye had gone rogue, so how the fuck did he pass security? How come such aircraft can be put down by a single arrow? Also, why didn't Hawkeye have 3 extra arrows with him? :ganishka: ...joking aside, the fact that S.H.I.E.L.D's aircraft had no defenses was really stupid.
Nuke NY? Really? Couldn't they just send the fucking nuke through the portal? I guess they needed Iron Man to do it :p
I'm not too knowledgable about the Hulk, but can someone explain to me, how he was so out of control the first time he appeared, and all of the sudden he's taking orders from Cap/Iron Man and just getting along with everybody?

Griffith, watch Cabin in the Woods.

After the success of the Avengers i just wish Marvel starts making better X-Men movies (First Class was a good start). Avengers is fun and all, but their villains lore is not as interesting imo.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
NightCrawler said:
After the success of the Avengers i just wish Marvel starts making better X-Men movies (First Class was a good start). Avengers is fun and all, but their villains lore is not as interesting imo.

Marvel doesn't have 100% say in X-Men or Fantastic Four since the rights are owned by Fox. So, until they acquire the rights, don't expect gold from those two titles (First Class being the only good one).

Also, just watched The Avengers last night. Loved the movie. I've never been a big fan of Whedon (hated Firefly), but this was definitely one of the better films I've seen in the past few years. It had several nods to Mark Millar's Ultimates and Ultimates 2 series (which I love), so it had its nostalgic factor for me. The scuffle between Thor, Cap, and Ironman was just awesome -- as were every other fight scene in the movie. It was a lot of fanboy nerdgasms that were a long time coming (no pun intended). Several laugh out loud moments (including Cap's cry for attention with the Wizard of Oz reference). Possibly my favorite moment was about the same as everyone else's
Hulk throwing Loki around like a ragdoll, and then Loki having the "Ok, I've learned my lesson" look on his face

I plan on seeing it again very soon.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I love all the technical debate about Black Widow's and Hawkeye's improbable abilities, Iron Man's suit, and the shadow government's suspect decision making, but... the Hulk? Well yeah, that makes sense. :ganishka:

NightCrawler said:
Griffith, watch Cabin in the Woods.

I guess I should.

Johnstantine said:
Marvel doesn't have 100% say in X-Men or Fantastic Four since the rights are owned by Fox. So, until they acquire the rights, don't expect gold from those two titles

Can't confirm this, but from what I've read they'll never get those back unless they become unprofitably toxic, and even then they'd probably have to pay top dollar (than again, it's Disney doing the negotiating/paying now). Heard the deals are as long as Fox or Sony use the properties at least once every number of years (like 5) they retain the rights. Thus, The Amazing Spider-Man, just in time to renew their contract! So yeah, we'll definitely be getting more X-Men too.

Johnstantine said:
(First Class being the only good one).

It's definitely the best film obsensibly about X-Men, but it completely wonks with all the chronology, characters, lore, and themes, which the first two X-Men movies at least tried to do justice, just not in as good a movie(s). That's why I see X-Men, X2, and First Class as complimentary films that make each other better and are more complete as a whole. So, unless they're going to do something that's faithful on The Avengers level, I think we've got more than enough X-Men movies (at least two more than we need, which shall remain nameless). BTW, it's been mentioned before, but Whedon almost directed the third X-Men movie, since it was partially based on comics he'd written, but alas...

Johnstantine said:
I've never been a big fan of Whedon (hated Firefly), but this was definitely one of the better films I've seen in the past few years.

Neither are his best work. :carcus:

Not speaking of which, check out this Whedon writing credit... Alien: Resurrection!

Now, aside from the obvious disturbing implications of this, Kevin Bacon has nothing on this guy; Whedon seemingly has something to do with everything we've been discussing in the movie threads the past month.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Griffith said:
Can't confirm this, but from what I've read they'll never get those back unless they become unprofitably toxic, and even then they'd probably have to pay top dollar (than again, it's Disney doing the negotiating/paying now). Heard the deals are as long as Fox or Sony use the properties at least once every number of years (like 5) they retain the rights. Thus, The Amazing Spider-Man, just in time to renew their contract! So yeah, we'll definitely be getting more X-Men too.

Yeah, that smells about right. Not say TAS looks horrible, but it does seem a little bit too soon for another (as I was typing this, I realized it had been five years since the last movie).

It's definitely the best film obsensibly about X-Men, but it completely wonks with all the chronology, characters, lore, and themes, which the first two X-Men movies at least tried to do justice, just not in as good a movie(s). That's why I see X-Men, X2, and First Class as complimentary films that make each other better and are more complete as a whole. So, unless they're going to do something that's faithful on The Avengers level, I think we've got more than enough X-Men movies (at least two more than we need, which shall remain nameless). BTW, it's been mentioned before, but Whedon almost directed the third X-Men movie, since it was partially based on comics he'd written, but alas...

First Class and X-Men two are great, but I prefer the former over the latter any day. It just struck a good chord with me. I've seen X-2 maybe twice, I think. X-3 was just fucking garbage and, honestly, I believe it tarnished the X franchise's reputation pretty badly. Oh, wait, no, that was Wolverine: Origins.

Not speaking of which, check out this Whedon writing credit... Alien: Resurrection!

You should feel bad for even bringing that up! We discussed it in-depth (2 seconds worth) already. Also, that whole fiasco of a movie is what turned me off from Whedon in the first place. He blamed everything but the writing for how bad it was.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Johnstantine said:
First Class and X-Men two are great, but I prefer the former over the latter any day. It just struck a good chord with me. I've seen X-2 maybe twice, I think.

My point was people kind of give it a pass on the same issues they'll bash other comic movies for. It's a good example of the persuasiveness of effective movie making, but I know some that hate it because it basically changes everything about X-Men, which is a fair point. The problem when something like this works is then other people try to do it and we end up with something shitty AND unfaithful.

Johnstantine said:
X-3 was just fucking garbage and, honestly, I believe it tarnished the X franchise's reputation pretty badly. Oh, wait, no, that was Wolverine: Origins.

What? I've never heard of those films. I don't think that actually happened.

Johnstantine said:
You should feel bad for even bringing that up! We discussed it in-depth (2 seconds worth) already.

I can't even keep these threads straight, let alone Alien: Resurrection references.

Johnstantine said:
Also, that whole fiasco of a movie is what turned me off from Whedon in the first place. He blamed everything but the writing for how bad it was.

I didn't even know he existed at the time (probably a good thing as far as this is concerned). Anyway, not a surprising move for the writer; actually sounds like the same complaint he had about the original Buffy movie, that they got the tone all wrong.

Enjoyed Dark Shadow. Haven't liked a Burton Film in a long time. Feels way to familiar at times, and is predictable. But Depp somehow throws in a great performance.

Watched The Avengers tonight and I enjoyed Cabin a lot more. I guess I went with some expectation from the reviews and people mentioning they went back to see it, etc. and was disappointed ... a lot. The animated series (recently watched on Netflix) was more humorous and it kinda set the bar for me in terms of quality content + action. The dialog in the movie was the best part. Agree with Walter on the main battle scene towards the end. The opening scene with the
'stealing'
is a bit lackluster as well, too choppy and rushed. Most disappointing Avenger was
Hawkeye ... the guy barely shot any arrows compared to the speed/ mobility of the character in the animated series
. The movie was eye~candy fun but over-rated. Tom as Loki = awesome. Favorite fight sequence =
Thor vs Iron Man

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
The animated series (recently watched on Netflix) was more humorous and it kinda set the bar for me in terms of quality content + action.

Unfortunately you can't expect as much from a "live action" movie as you can from an animated TV series. There are limits to what can be done in a movie without it looking too goofy or costing too much.

IncantatioN said:
The dialog in the movie was the best part. Agree with Walter on the main battle scene towards the end. The opening scene with the
'stealing'
is a bit lackluster as well, too choppy and rushed. Most disappointing Avenger was
Hawkeye ... the guy barely shot any arrows compared to the speed/ mobility of the character in the animated series
. The movie was eye~candy fun but over-rated. Tom as Loki = awesome. Favorite fight sequence =
Thor vs Iron Man

It's not a masterpiece or anything but to be honest it still felt like a bit of a tour de force to me. All these characters together on screen, doing them all justice
(could have been worse for Hawkeye, he still had some cool scenes in the end)
, having some chemistry between the actors... I was satisfied. Maybe because I'd set my expectations accordingly? I don't know. Still, as far as comic book movies go, I put it at the top of the pile.

You're right, I think I was over-critical of the movie a few hours ago. It's sinking in and I want to have another crack at it a few weeks from now. I agree on the chemistry between everyone - there was no confusion on who's doing what and the dialog is concise, yet massively effective. It's that clever writing that's also reminiscent of Cabin In The Woods.
Hawkeye did have some cool scenes in the end, agreed ... but the guy's actually waay cooler and I'm hoping they kinda tap into that in whatever movies they plan for him next. I didn't expect Natasha to be good [from early promos] but she delivered

I watched Chronicle last night, and was pleasantly surprised. Nothing amazing, but its a fun ride. I wish the 'found footage' style of movie would go away (this could have been told more traditionally with no impact on the story).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
Hawkeye did have some cool scenes in the end, agreed ... but the guy's actually waay cooler and I'm hoping they kinda tap into that in whatever movies they plan for him next.

I don't think they plan for him to have his own movie, but if there's a sequel I'm sure he'll have more moments (the mind-control thing made that a bit difficult). I liked his cameo in Thor too.

IncantatioN said:
I didn't expect Natasha to be good [from early promos] but she delivered

I was pleasantly surprised myself.

dfdsf.jpg

Samurai Cop ... the director's Iranian and I think he made a movie of what he though America was ALL about, it's an instant classic. There were moments in the film I couldn't breathe or was falling off my chair and had to rewind a bit to re-watch the scene I missed. The film's also pretty racist and I don't think the director thought of it that way ... it could've just been a cheesy joke he was trying to cover on screen. The music, editing, sex scenes, action, dialog, acting ... I mean everything, was incredible. I cannot recommend this movie more! Here's the KICKASS trailer for it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTd2BZggats

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen a lot of that movie through YouTube clips in the past. My favorite moments were Frank's reaction shots: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRgMd1FjeVI

And of course: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvni9KbZfoo&feature=related

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Saw Brave. It was fantastic. Screw the critics, it's in my top 3 favorite Pixar movies.

PS: And as you may have realized by now, I'm a picky bastard! :azan:

Really? Man, that kind of comes as a surprise Walter. I might go give this a shot. Excited now!

Made the little lady watch Wall-E for the first time a month ago. She cried at the 'Wall-E might be gone scene'. I lol'd.

Then again, I did admittedly tear up when Wall-E and Mo introduced themselves to one another in the garbage heap.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
Saw Brave. It was fantastic. Screw the critics, it's in my top 3 favorite Pixar movies.

That's good to hear! I tried going last weekend, but underestimated the lines on Saturday afternoon. I'm going to give it another shot this weekend.

Top Bottom