Movies you've recently watched

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
Saw Django on Christmas day. Amazing movie, feels a lot like Basterds but with much of the extended talking sequences cut down or at least broken up with more action.

MrWeatherby said:
Saw Django on Christmas day. Amazing movie, feels a lot like Basterds but with much of the extended talking sequences cut down or at least broken up with more action.

I dunno, I thought Django was pretty long winded and very talky. It had more action in the last hour probably than both movies combined though. Waltz is great as usual. I thought Basterds was the better movie.

I was talking to my Dad about what movies he'd like to watch since he's here and suggested we go for Django. He wasn't too familiar with Tarantino's recent works and so I got him to watch Inglourious Basterds. He liked Landa's menacing dialog with that wicked smile but overall thought the movie was "stupid".

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
IncantatioN said:
I was talking to my Dad about what movies he'd like to watch since he's here and suggested we go for Django. He wasn't too familiar with Tarantino's recent works and so I got him to watch Inglourious Basterds. He liked Landa's menacing dialog with that wicked smile but overall thought the movie was "stupid".

Can't win them all, I guess.

Anywho, I just watched John Dies at the End.

I'm still trying to figure out just what the fuck I watched.

Can't wait to watch that and The Imposter. I've had both downloaded from a few days earlier and ready to go this Sunday. My Dad flies out tomorrow night *sigh* I'm going to miss him a lot.

Btw, post the goods or the bads of that movie will ya? I'll comment/ discuss post Sunday with ya! If this's something that needs 2 viewings, all the more interesting haha!

Oburi

All praise Grail
Saw Django a few days ago. Best movie of the year by far. I'm huge fan of old italian westerns and own around 20 of the best ones on dvd so naturally I was geeking out the whole time. I also love the original Django and some of it's sequels so seeing Tarantino's Django Unchained was pure joy for me. It's hilarious, fun, violent, clever... it's got a little bit of everything. Only complaint would be some of the cameos were a little pointless. Seems like Tarantino still can't help but indulge himself a bit too much sometimes. Luckily those parts were brief. The rest of the performances were incredible. Christopher Waltz and Jamie Foxx were brilliant. I was surprised how much I liked Foxx actually. Very cool.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
IncantatioN said:
Can't wait to watch that and The Imposter. I've had both downloaded from a few days earlier and ready to go this Sunday. My Dad flies out tomorrow night *sigh* I'm going to miss him a lot.

Btw, post the goods or the bads of that movie will ya? I'll comment/ discuss post Sunday with ya! If this's something that needs 2 viewings, all the more interesting haha!

The goods: funny, unpredictable, good acting for the most part, unique story, the special effects were great, and Clancy Brown.

The bads: story was hard to follow, lack of character development (you'll know what I mean), a shitload of unexplained stuff, and that's about it.

I watched it knowing nothing about it. Hadn't even see the trailer. So, much like the movie, me watching it was completely random.

I watched it last night, back to back because the movie got better as it progressed and I had a loooot of questions in the beginning, so most loopholes got explained in that 2nd viewing (fresh from what we see of the end of the film).

I knew the movie existed and posted about it in the movies to look forward to thread heh. Having watched it, I'm pretty satisfied with it. Given the title, I expected it to be about John but it's Dave we're really rooting for. Oh, the dog is hilarious! Brown and Giamatti really steal the show with his short uber cool performances. Will need to look out for the director's other movies :p ... cult classic this? In a few years maybe. But I liked it more the 1st time with those surprises or wtfrak moments, the 2nd time it just explained most of the loops (like why John thought the first girl they try to save was a blonde but Dave saw her as a brunette or why the dog's waiting by Dave's car in the beginning). Refreshing, funny, over-the-top, imperfect and fun - 8/10.

1351766361_john_dies_at_the_end-oo.jpg

Credits were funny, I wanted more but I think this's good as it is, no sequel/ prequel needed.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Just watched Django Unchained. I fucking loved every minute of it.

It's hard to compare to any other Tarantino movie because it's actually linear and doesn't jump between characters, and it's not shitty like Death Proof. Everyone does a great job with their parts, and, as per usual, the soundtrack is fucking top notch. Everything about the movie lived up to my expectations.

Tarantino got his spaghetti western with this. And I couldn't be happier.

Also, I watched Lincoln. I never had much interest in it to begin with, and only watched it for Daniel Day-Lewis. He was the only good part in an otherwise boring and bland movie (just like always).

I need to hit up both movies above, have Django on the laptop, maybe tonight after I finish The Imposter. I got into a food coma last night and fell asleep accidentally. Need to do some catch-up before I can figure out what cool movies came out last year *slacker*.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
IncantatioN said:
I need to hit up both movies above, have Django on the laptop, maybe tonight after I finish The Imposter. I got into a food coma last night and fell asleep accidentally. Need to do some catch-up before I can figure out what cool movies came out last year *slacker*.

My friend compared it to Inglorious Basterds, but I can tell you that it is nothing like IB. It really isn't like any other movie he's done. It's actually linear with little to no backstory, aside from spoken word (unlike most of his movies). You'll really enjoy it.

Also, just watched Chronicle. Felt pretty long for only being an hour and a half. Good movie, though.

Just watched Batman Year one thought it was good I enjoyed the fact that it was mostly about Gorden. And also watched Batman Doom it was preatty good will be watching some superman movies soon.

director-bart-layton-and-moderator-nigel-smith-of-indiwire-with-poster2-20089.jpg

This was intriguing on the trailer front and I recently found out that the movie was up for streaming on Netflix. Having disconnected said service, I picked it up online. The Imposter is based on true facts and it gets pretty interesting towards the end. It's a recount of an individual in Spain who uses the identity of a missing person in the US, convinces the family that he's part of them and moves in with them in the US. A lot happens after and it's shocking that all of that actually happened in reality. Pretty good documentary - 7.5/10. Next up, Django, Thursday night cos it's over 2 and a half hours.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Just watched Hereafter. This movie couldn't make up its mind about what it wanted to be. Also, aside from the opening, it sucked.

Also watched Man with the Iron Fists. I knew what I was getting into, but man it was fucking boring. Tried to be too much like a good movie, but fell flat. Also, the only actor who did anywhere near a decent job was Russell Crowe.

122512djangoclip2_512x288.jpg

Django Unchained was a complete package - great soundtrack, cinematography, dialog, action and the main part - acting. I tried to picture Will Smith in the role and I'm a bit curious as to how he would've handled it. Foxx was 'decent' but it felt unconvincing. On the other hand Waltz, Jackson and DiCaprio were equally good. Kerry needs a nod as well. I didn't enjoy the last fight, the movie dipped after
Waltz's character dies
. Another 8/10.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
IncantatioN said:
122512djangoclip2_512x288.jpg

Django Unchained was a complete package - great soundtrack, cinematography, dialog, action and the main part - acting. I tried to picture Will Smith in the role and I'm a bit curious as to how he would've handled it. Foxx was 'decent' but it felt unconvincing. On the other hand Waltz, Jackson and DiCaprio were equally good. Kerry needs a nod as well. I didn't enjoy the last fight, the movie dipped after
Waltz's character dies
. Another 8/10.

See, I felt the same way, but I enjoyed Foxx's acting over DiCaprio's. I heard his accent slip SO many times, especially when he was yelling. I was really fucking sad
when Schultz died. That hit me right in the feels

Oh yeah, that broke my heart. Sadest moment of the movie.

121116_MOV_SilverLiningsPlaybook.jpg.CROP.rectangle3-large.jpg

Last night I watched Silver Linings Playbook without knowing what it was about or who was in it. If you like Drama's with a hint of comedy this is perfect. I shook my head when I realized Bradly Cooper was in it, but he redeems himself in my book with his best performance till date, not perfect but good enough. Jennifer Lawrence clicked with me in Winter's Bone and now on this one, her best performance till date? Yes. But she solely doesn't steal the show, De Nero and Jacki Weaver (you might remember her from Animal Kingdom) were really good. Cooper gets separated from his wife, loses his job, house and life turned upside down but his mom Jacki gets him out of an institution to come live with the family thinking that would help him recover. Cooper goes to therapy and has a new mantra in life, pushing to improve himself to show his wife he's new and improved. The family's a big fan of the Philly Eagles and that's tied into the story. Stuff happens. Oh Anupam Kher who's a cool versatile guy in Bollywood movies plays the role of Cooper's therapist, decent. Chris Tucker's (not Rock, thanks Jaze) in it, 'nugh said haha! 9/10.

Shoot, yes, my bad, thanks!

Watching Syfy as I cook and watching Star Trek: The Motion Picture for the first time. It's serious and the ship or detail in the beginning is clearly influenced by 2001. The tech looks SO good. Wonder how the story pans out.

EDIT (gonna edit my post till someone else posts)

star-trek-motion-picture.jpg

The movie was fantastic. The tech as I said earlier looks pretty good but the story didn't sit well with me when they dug into the meat of it. Towards the end, it's a far bolder picture than a regular action-adventure-space-movie. The cinematography was what made it different than most Star Trek movies I've watched, I'd say this is the best so far (not counting Abram's Star Trek). The director also made The Andromeda Strain, pretty similar thematically with a good amount of underlying meaning to the whole tech and mankind equation. Can't wait to re-watch it. Solid 8.5/10 and will have to hunt for a BR or whatever highest quality/ version it's out on.

SHADOW_DANCER_4_copy.jpg

Shadow Dancer came outta nowhere and if you can get past the first 15 minutes after the opening sequence, you're in for a decent Thriller. I haven't watched the leading actress's work before but I'm pretty curious now, she was pretty good in this one. Could see the end coming. 7/10.

So this is me trying to catch up with last year's films heh.

dredd_23.jpg

Dredd, I'd read comparisons with The Raid (loved that one) so I wasn't really in the mood to watch it, skipped the theater and finally got to it last night. Missed the globes, but this was better than I expected, a lot better. Urban's stamp on the character works. Apart from the few slo-mo scenes which you can tell were intended for 3D effect, the action is quick. Can't be critical about how much ammo he had or mistakes in scenes, it isn't that sort of movie. Not better than The Raid but a good start to a possible franchise. I don't think they recovered all their money but I'm hopeful they make another one. They need a badder villain,
Ma-Ma felt weak but the crux of the movie was the situation created more than the bad guy
. I wonder how bad/ powerful the villains in the comics are. 7.5/10.

kaleb-lechowski-r-ha.jpg

Just watched R'ha - short six and a half minute sci-fi film made by a 22 year old, incredible! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQuGpW0NuW8&feature=player_embedded

premium%2Brush.jpg

Premium Rush wasn't too bad and it's just that - OK. I like how it's filmed, looks like they took a lot of effort. Shannon does well in playing a whack-job of a cop. 6/10.

SUB-24ZERO-articleLarge.jpeg

I wasn't in the mood to watch it but I wanted to see more of Chastain and jumped on it last night. Good flick and yet it wasn't Oscar-oh-my-god-spectacular material. Chastain essayed her role predictably well. 7/10.

compliance-movie-collage-ggnoads.jpg

Based on a true events, Compliance was pretty interesting and I hope they
busted the prankster in real life! Man, was that elaborate and I guess the victims must feel stupid after knowing it wasn't a cop on the phone.

Btw, I think everyone is missing out if they haven't watched this yet - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2tnp4QCKtk&feature=player_embedded

IncantatioN said:
Not better than The Raid but a good start to a possible franchise.

Really?? I thought Dredd did it better than the Raid.
The ridiculously long fight at the end ruined it for me, but then again the ending with Ma Ma was pretty bad also.

They need a badder villain,
Ma-Ma felt weak but the crux of the movie was the situation created more than the bad guy
. I wonder how bad/ powerful the villains in the comics are. 7.5/10.

See Judge Death.

On a different note, watched Snow White and the Huntsman last weekend. This movie should have been fantastic (I know you can say that about a lot of movies these days), but instead it was just.. meh. Something about the whole production was just off kilter. For all the awesome technical prowess on display (
dwarves, the troll, the glass guys, the glade
) there was too much crappy flab. Useless subplots:
hello Prince William
, shitty character motivations: hello Charlize, spinning wheels:
30 minutes inside the dark forest?
, bad soundtrack, horrible ending. This is all Kirsten Stewart aside too. A lot of the ideas presented on the tale were really cool as well.... such potential..

Cool beans, thanks for the recco on a badass villain from the Dredd series. I have never read the comic, wouldn't know where to start or what I could skip, etc.

Yeah, that Snow White movie had potential and failed. I picked up Amour, a bit apprehensive to watch it because it looks like an emotional roller-coaster. But I'll watch it, it can't be as devastating as Marley & Me can it?

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Spent the last few days Lynching myself with Blue Velvet, Lost Highway, and Mulholland Drive. I think I liked Blue Velvet the best out of them and not just because it was the most straightforward... it might be because I like Kyle MacLachlan a lot though. :troll:

Lost Highway had some really cool scenes in it and the plot left me thinking a lot about what actually was going on. I feel like there is an answer to it, but I might have to watch it a few more times to fully grasp it or something. Mulholland Drive on the other hand I feel like it's really meant to be up to interpretation rather than something with one answer. It's really fun to think about though.

Lost Highway and MD both gave me a pretty big spook with a scene in each. The part where
Renee's face is replaced with the mystery man's face
in Lost Highway and the part where you see
the horrible looking bum/monster come out around the corner in MD
. Something about both of those was just purely unsettling and creeped me out. The eyes of
fake Cooper and Laura
in the last episode of Twin Peaks did that for me too.

I plan to watch his other films pretty soon as well, I'm just in the mood for that style of movie right now for some reason.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Lynch is alright, but I think he's way overrated. Blue Velvet just didn't do it for me, as did, like, any of his other movies. Dune is the only one that still stands out to me, and apparently he hated it so much that he demanded his name be taken off the project.

Watch Eraserhead.

Walter, those are fighting words! Season 2 was good after they introduced Annie/Heather Graham! And, David Duchovny in drag! And Fire Walk With Me was a good movie! :mozgus:

On that note, there are rumblings that Lynch and Frost are planning a revival of some sort (they are having a Twin Peaks retrospective at USC right now, and Frost commented that the series isn't dead yet, and hinted it may be returning). The owls are not what they seem.

Top Bottom