The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

So I'm conflicted. I'm trying to decide which platform to play this on. I usually am a bit of a PC gamer, but I preferred Oblivion on the xbox to the PC (my TV made it feel so much grander). I have PC/XBox360/PS3. Any suggestions? I kind of am leaning towards a console version though...

Oburi

All praise Grail
This has been causing a shitstorm lately. I'm playing it on the 360 since that's what I own and I also want to see it on a big screen. However, I use play Morrowind on the PC and I did find that to be a great experience. BUUUUT I played Oblivion on the 360 and I found that to be enjoyable too. They both have ups and downs, so really personal preference. I also want the achievements so I'm going with 360 for sure.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The PC modding community has done some interesting things with all of Bethesda's games, ranging from independent campaigns to high-definition texture packs to complete overhauls of how the game's level progression works. If any of those are of interest to you, I'd say get the PC version.

JudeauChop said:
So I'm conflicted. I'm trying to decide which platform to play this on. I usually am a bit of a PC gamer, but I preferred Oblivion on the xbox to the PC (my TV made it feel so much grander). I have PC/XBox360/PS3. Any suggestions? I kind of am leaning towards a console version though...
If you're leaning on the console version, then you might as well get it for 360. Bethesda has long showed preferential treatment towards it in the past, and that's set to continue, with the 360 getting at least a month of exclusivity on the DLCs. Not to mention just about all of the screenshots and footage has been on 360 hardware.

Me, I'm getting the PC version, exactly for the reasons Walter said. Modders have made a lot of awesome stuff over the years. Not to mention that as much as I love this series, I really don't trust Bethesda to make a polished or well-balanced product anymore. To this day, I doubt I'd be able to play vanilla Oblivion, for both the level scaling and that shitty menu interface.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
I see absolutely no reason to get this on console if you have a good enough PC, which shouldn't be that difficult of a task. It's a complete upgrade, I seriously see no upside to having the console version.

Moving around feels better on the console, but aiming is better on the PC. Aiming is usually not an issue with this kind of game though. You will have no way of testing how well you would be able to run this game until you made a full purchase and voided your chance of a refund by opening the box. Demos before release really should be standard, especially for the PC.

I'll most likely get it on the 360, depending on user video and forum posts on different sites. I might also rely on reviews, even if all of these companies have to make sure they are liked by Bethesda enough to get access to ad revenue, conventions, interviews, and copies sent out in advance to get reviews up for extremely impatient internet users.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Groovy Metal Fist said:
You will have no way of testing how well you would be able to run this game until you made a full purchase and voided your chance of a refund by opening the box. Demos before release really should be standard, especially for the PC.
That's an exaggerated statement. There are minimum hardware requirements to run the game. Compare those against your system.

Minimum System Requirements
* CPU: Dual Core 2.0GHz or equivalent processor
* RAM: 2 GB
* HDD: 6 GB
* Graphics: 512 MB card
* Sound Card: DirectX 9 Compatible
* DirectX: Version 9.0c
* Internet for Steam activation

Recommended System Requirements
* CPU: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
* RAM: 4 GB
* HDD: 6 GB free disk space
* Graphics: 1 GB Graphics Memory

Oburi

All praise Grail
Yup. Skyrim is a fine introduction. If you want to brush up on the lore you can't find sites that have info, maps and history on the Elder Scrolls world.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Groovy Metal Fist said:
Moving around feels better on the console, but aiming is better on the PC. Aiming is usually not an issue with this kind of game though. You will have no way of testing how well you would be able to run this game until you made a full purchase and voided your chance of a refund by opening the box. Demos before release really should be standard, especially for the PC.

In reality, I think any first person game or one that requires you to look up and down is better done with keyboard and mouse, not to mention you can hook up a 360 or PS3 controller to your PC to play it if you really need to. Even with those minimum specs though, people will make mods that make it playable on lower spec'd PCs, which they did for Oblivion.
I mean, the way I see it, you get inferior or the same graphics, a worse control scheme, and can't mod, which is a huge part of it since if I don't like the UI or simple things like that I can always find a mod with a different one. Speaking of which, I really hope they changed the UI up from what we see in the demos, I like drag and drop mixed with windows like you'd have on a computer, not menu based stuff made to be navigated with a controller.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Dar Klink said:
In reality, I think any first person game or one that requires you to look up and down is better done with keyboard and mouse, not to mention you can hook up a 360 or PS3 controller to your PC to play it if you really need to.

Yeah, moving in a FPS being better with a controller? That'd be a first.

Oburi said:
Yup. Skyrim is a fine introduction. If you want to brush up on the lore you can't find sites that have info, maps and history on the Elder Scrolls world.
Uh, the Imperial Library? It transcribes just about every single in-game book online. Though browsing it without any familiarity with TES is more than a little intimidating.

Dar Klink said:
Speaking of which, I really hope they changed the UI up from what we see in the demos, I like drag and drop mixed with windows like you'd have on a computer, not menu based stuff made to be navigated with a controller.
Sadly, I don't think that will be happening, not at this stage in development. And worse, with the menus being so...flashy, modding them might end up being more difficult than before. :sad:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Cyrus Jong said:
Uh, the Imperial Library? It transcribes just about every single in-game book online. Though browsing it without any familiarity with TES is more than a little intimidating.

haha, Yea my fault. When I said you CAN'T find a site to read the lore I actually meant you CAN. It was a typo and the site I was referring to was the one you linked, so thank you. I been reading through it too a lot lately.

The reason why I'm getting it for the console (and I know how ignorant and stupid this sounds) is because I know I'm going to be putting a lot of time into it. I really don't want to be sitting at my computer desk for more than I already have too. This last year has been great being able to comfortably play games on my LCD, on my bed, with a controller. Yes FPS are always better on PC, I totally agree. But as you guys said with the menus and such, it's clearly being catered towards the console community. Honestly, I don't mind. I've enjoyed Morrowind and Oblivion for the pc and console and I never used mods or texture upgrades or anything. I'm only interested in the released game and it's future expansions. Call me a casual or whatever but I put 100+ hours into Oblivion when it first came out in 2005 and played it every now and again over the next few years until I eventually found it to be outdated and put it down for good (about a year or two ago). So I'm happy playing the console version of Skyrim. Shit, if i even get half the playtime or enjoyment I got out of Oblivion I'll be a happy camper. And really, this looks far more promising than Oblivion.

Viral Harvest

Every Knee Bent Too Shall Break
Oburi said:
Keep it outta this thread! I don't want any spoilers.

Better turn off the internet and live in a cave for the next week then, haha. It's going to be everywhere. I'll refrain from revealing any spoilers personally though.

Aazealh said:
Yeah, moving in a FPS being better with a controller? That'd be a first.

An example for me would be Bioshock, a first person game with close quarters combat. I played the PC demo and the 360 game. I like the quicker aim of the mouse but using a joystick instead of the WASD keys to move felt better. Also, my computer at the time had a 128MB graphics card and 2GB of ram, so I had to run the game on the lowest possible settings to get it to work properly.

I've played a few Call of Duty games on the PC and tried it on the 360. In that case, aiming was an enormous issue, so the PC was an easy choice. No difference in graphics could have trumped that.

It really depends on the individual game.

Walter said:
That's an exaggerated statement. There are minimum hardware requirements to run the game. Compare those against your system.

Minimum System Requirements
* CPU: Dual Core 2.0GHz or equivalent processor
* RAM: 2 GB
* HDD: 6 GB
* Graphics: 512 MB card

Recommended System Requirements
* CPU: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
* RAM: 4 GB
* HDD: 6 GB free disk space
* Graphics: 1 GB Graphics Memory

My computer is 2 GHz Quad-core/ 2.9 GHz turbo-boost. It has 8GB of RAM and a 3GB with optimus graphics card. So, I still don't know exactly what level of graphics I would have to set the game on for it to run well, or if it will even read my graphics card properly.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Groovy Metal Fist said:
An example for me would be Bioshock, a first person game with close quarters combat. I played the PC demo and the 360 game. I like the quicker aim of the mouse but using a joystick instead of the WASD keys to move felt better. Also, my computer at the time had a 128MB graphics card and 2GB of ram, so I had to run the game on the lowest possible settings to get it to work properly.

Well I'd chalk it up to personal preference then because I played Bioshock on PC and it felt like any other FPS to me as far as moving went. I don't mind joysticks for moving, but the mouse is the determining factor since it's such a superior device for aiming.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Viral Harvest said:
It leaked for 360. Expect to see it blown up on youtube in the coming days!
Viral Harvest said:
Better turn off the internet and live in a cave for the next week then, haha. It's going to be everywhere. I'll refrain from revealing any spoilers personally though.

Well it's not a big deal. Like I could watch the first 10 minutes or whatever but I wont. The game is gonna be out in a little more than a week anyway so I'd rather not spoil it. Plus with the way the open world is I can't imagine what people could spoil just from playing a week before release. I just don't want to watch any more videos at this point. But if people want to talk about how the menu system works or whats good whats bad that's cool.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
I enjoy TES games on both the pc and console. I first played Morrowind on the xbox and then PC. Same with Oblivion and Skyrim. It's fun to play it on the big screen and chill on the sofa. I know, PC can do that too. But I'm lazy. Plan on upgrading my computer at some point though so I can experience it both ways. I'm sure there will be plenty of quality mods by then.

@Oburi - Did you ask what race people are playing? Probably go Nord warrior first time around, just to fit in :guts: Though all the archetypes look fun. And the magic actually looks good this time around!

Trying to forget we're only a week away release. The last few days are killer!

Also wanted to note the music in the concept art video is beautiful. It looks like Skyrim is going to have an incredible soundtrack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVyENQ5I__o&src_vid=xBSiIeu1Yg8&annotation_id=annotation_892220&feature=iv

The chanting in the main theme is awesome. Really gets me in the mood to do some funking roleplaying. I'm going to steal every spoon in the game.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Death May Die said:
Just a few more days!

I'm going to start packing and kiss my life goodbye!!! :ganishka:

Can't believe it's so close. Last time I was in this much anticipation for a game was probably Mass Effect 2 which is saying a lot. I just want to go to a library, pick out a dusty old book and start reading it by the firelight with that amazing soundtrack playing in the background :guts:. That's why these games are so great, you can still have a blast even when your doing nothing.

Viral Harvest

Every Knee Bent Too Shall Break
I need someone to talk about this with, but let's just say you're all in for a treat. They improved the engine so much since Oblivion. I'm about 16 hours in.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Viral Harvest said:
I need someone to talk about this with, but let's just say you're all in for a treat. They improved the engine so much since Oblivion. I'm about 16 hours in.

Very encouraging to hear!

Top Bottom