The "I just bought" thread

Grail

Feel the funk blast
I went to see Distant Worlds several months ago, it's a great show. The only problem was that I was never sure when it was appropriate to clap. :???:

turkitage

ターク
Aphasia said:
How much are you getting paid by Dark Horse to advertise their comic books?
They let me get free comic book downloads on free comic book day!

Deci said:
Join conductor Arnie Roth, with composer Nobuo Uematsu, and the magnificent Atlanta Symphony Orchestra for two unforgettable performances! May 6th and 7th, 2011! Each program will feature beloved Final Fantasy classics, as well new music from Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy XIV.

Deci!! Thanks so much for posting this. I missed the last time they came! I just bought myself a ticket so I'll be there tonight as well. I actually got a really good seat too (I think). The first seat and first row on the first balcony so I think i'll see everything pretty well. I'm excited!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Turkitage said:
Deci!! Thanks so much for posting this. I missed the last time they came! I just bought myself a ticket so I'll be there tonight as well. I actually got a really good seat too (I think). The first seat and first row on the first balcony so I think i'll see everything pretty well. I'm excited!
Well, how'd it go?

turkitage

ターク
Walter said:
Well, how'd it go?

I wasn't going to actually post about it this time, but since you ask. It was epic (heh, I kid I kid! Sorry, was too tempting Aaz) fantastic! First off, I must have lucked out because I bought my ticket online about 7 hours before the show started and I got a killer seat!! like I mentioned, it was the first row of the balcony and an aisle seat!! So I only had to sit next to one person I didn't know and could lean off to the other side if I needed too.

The music was fantastic as ever. They played the typical hits and also some FFXIII and XIV music too, while at the same time had scenes from the game on the big screen. They also had opera singers sing "Maria and Draco" from Final Fantasy VI (my favorite one) which was amazing!! The whole event was about two hours long. Oh, and a cool surprise was Nobuo Uematsu was in the audience, which they say he rarely shows up at the concerts, so they got him up stage at the end and had him sing along with the chorus One-Winged Angel for the final song of the night. So glad I didn't miss this event.

So of course... here are some pictures!

5698322039_0bc377c675_z.jpg

What a killer seat!!! I'm short so I always have problems with not seeing well when people sit in front of me. Even if the seats are elevated.
5698322205_5559d8d768_z.jpg

And to my immediate left was the control room? They were adjusting sound and lights, it seems. So, I snuck a picture while they were on a break.
conradtest.gif

5698322293_4ca48935f8_z.jpg

And finally here is Nobuo Uematsu when they dragged him on stage. Eh, camera phone + distance.. what can you do?
5698346155_e497f3d43b_z.jpg

pretty cool night.
5229571450_53c3321407_t.jpg

Picked up an Energizer® XP18000 Portable Charger for my Vaio and it seems like it can do a lot more than just that (can be used for cellphones, apple products, anything that can be charged via USB). It'll be of good use to me on the pane for instance (that's if they allow me to carry it in my carry~on bag hehe >_>').

4.jpg

Sometime tonight I'll either hit up BestBuy or J&R Music World to pick up a laptop for a close friend of mine as an early birthday present.

turkitage

ターク
Th3Branded0ne said:
Powerline Slingshot. Bought a manniquin head at a thrift store and went to the park and shoot it with paint balls. :guts:

Man, that sounds like fun. Been a while since I went to the thrift store.

Viral Harvest

Every Knee Bent Too Shall Break
314530_671281120932_84100557_34342396_1769781029_n.jpg

Not really a material purchase, but a purchase nonetheless. 2 more sessions to go and after that a lot more to add down the front of my torso.

Bonus points to anyone who knows off-hand what this is from!

Viral Harvest

Every Knee Bent Too Shall Break
Thanks guys, haha

As far as adding, I wanted the sigil for Lilith beneath it (in actuality, there is no official sigil for Lilith but there's a "fan?" created one that looked interesting) and the whole concept of Lilith refusing Adam has a special meaning to me. Some filler to surround that which I have yet to iron out, and then beneath that on my stomach the apple of Eden. It'll end up coming together, haha.

Th3Branded0ne said:
Good stuff Branded! I might bite into their new wireless speakers or get a Wave so I can play my CDs on there.

This just came in the mail. Pros - 3 fans: each at 120mm speed, 4 USB ports, silent as hell, sturdy. Cons - heavy/ bulky, price. I notice that my laptop's mouse-pad loses motion sometimes when it's on the cooler.

IMG_8479-1.jpg

EDIT - This morning I woke up and heard a clicking sound. It was coming from the laptop cooler, sounding like the right fan was hitting the metal casing. It wasn't there last night, so I hit up Amazon this morning, printed return labels and will return it tomorrow *sigh*. I'll look for another one, hopefully I get the same color.

Update - so I returned the laptop cooler and got a replacement. In 3 days it gave me the same sound! I'm going to return it again tomorrow and look for another model/ make *sigh*. Do you guys use laptop coolers?

This past Monday I picked up a PS3 Slim (160 GB) *sorry for the mess in the pic, I got too excited when I turned it on and went clickclickclick*

PS3-1.jpg

For a while my Vaio hasn't been playing newer Blu Ray releases. I updated the sound driver, the default player, downloaded 2 other software players and still nothing. So, I did a bit of research and found 3 contenders - the PS3, Panasonic's DMP-BDT210 and Sony's BDP-S580. The PS3 was quicker on read-speeds and I could buy games IF I wanted. It'll let me use Netflix, like the other 2.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
Update - so I returned the laptop cooler and got a replacement. In 3 days it gave me the same sound! I'm going to return it again tomorrow and look for another model/ make *sigh*. Do you guys use laptop coolers?

Maybe you should just buy a desktop computer?

I never really thought about a desktop till I read your post ^_^. One of the problems I can think of is space for its setup/ having a sort of shelf/ table for the monitor, etc. The other advantage of the laptop is in its mobility around the apartment. I've thought of the 'get a desktop and keep a laptop option' but with the PS3 as the BR player, I have less of an incentive to get a desktop.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
I never really thought about a desktop till I read your post ^_^. One of the problems I can think of is space for its setup/ having a sort of shelf/ table for the monitor, etc. The other advantage of the laptop is in its mobility around the apartment. I've thought of the 'get a desktop and keep a laptop option' but with the PS3 as the BR player, I have less of an incentive to get a desktop.

Is it really that much more mobile with the laptop cooler and speakers and so on? I mean sure, you'd need a table of sorts, but it seems to me that you might as well at this point. That being said, it's your call; I don't know how your apartment is set up or what your needs are.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I'm currently using a laptop for school and travel, but have a monitor and speakers on my desk I can quickly plug it into for more of a desktop setup at home. It's a nice all-purpose arrangement, and I'm thinking of sticking with that setup when I upgrade, but if you're at all serious about gaming, I'd just do a real desktop for that kind of versatility, and use an old laptop/ebook for the road (maybe even something by Apple if you don't need it to do anything =).

Aazealh said:
Is it really that much more mobile with the laptop cooler and speakers and so on? I mean sure, you'd need a table of sorts, but it seems to me that you might as well at this point.
Hmmm ... good point, but I don't have independent laptop speakers. I have a side table that I would like to leave my laptop cooler on with the laptop. I usually place my laptop there with the screen open at a 90 degree angle and I then flip it over to use the back of the screen as a base (so the usually bottom part of the laptop has breathing space).

Aazealh said:
... That being said, it's your call; I don't know how your apartment is set up or what your needs are.
Coincidence that you ask, took some pictures of the apartment to show my brother this weekend (who has not had a chance to visit me yet), I pulled down some framed posters and wallscrolls, cleaned up a little and took pictures (p.s. I'm at work and don't have time to re-size the pictures, sorry if they're uberscale'd).

This is my current living room set up (cable management = phail)

20111022_135056.jpg

20111022_135113.jpg

20111022_135124.jpg

20111022_135138.jpg

20111022_135153.jpg

Behind the couch, I have Walter's Berserk art which I took down to clean the frame, so you don't see it. Also not seen are 2 Inoue framed prints on the side wall and next to the TV wall. Coming back, I browse the interwebs on the couch. I don't want to be bound to a chair sort of set up. When I'm not home, I leave the laptop on that side table, where I propose to have the cooler thingie. Do feel free to throw in any advise you guys think that could work. I have to return the 2nd noisy laptop cooler still, it's sitting under the PS3 in the picture.

Griffith said:
I'm currently using a laptop for school and travel, but have a monitor and speakers on my desk I can quickly plug it into for more of a desktop setup at home. It's a nice all-purpose arrangement, and I'm thinking of sticking with that setup when I upgrade, but if you're at all serious about gaming, I'd just do a real desktop for that kind of versatility..
Interesting ^_^. I'm not much of a gamer, you can tell from all my noob lame posts in the gaming section hehe. I play classics on the Cannoo and F1 2011 on Steam.

Griffith said:
... and use an old laptop/ebook for the road (maybe even something by Apple if you don't need it to do anything =).
Hahaha!

*hug* Thanks, you're too kind! I need another glass cabinet for just bigger scale AOW statues, they'd look epic with the extra breathing space. Glad I took extra snaps : p ... admittedly my bedroom is in bad shape >_<' ... my AOW box storage management = another phail.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Looking at your pics, you_do have plenty of space to do some easy setups. For instance, you can always get a desktop, and place it next to your entertainment center (just keep it at least couple of inches elevated from the ground) and just use a wireless keyboard and mouse. You already have a decent monitor.

I was forced to make space in my living room due to baby stuff. My current setup is as follow. Logitech sound system on HD TV. PS3 is my DVD/BD player, Laptop (normally next to my couch or on ottoman). I stream video from laptop to PS3 for video files I wish to watch. And just now got my gaming PC next to my entertainment center all on my television. I kept the case simple and as small as possible so that it doesn't stand out. My only problem is that my room isn't the best to set up speakers.

My point is, you can always go back and forth. The fact that these HD TV's come with a decent amount of inputs, you'll always have options. In the mean time... You can always place your laptop in your wooden floor, if needed to be turned on. The wood handles heat quite well. :badbone:

Top Bottom