Your first Video Game?

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Hello!

I thought it would be cool to hear stories about your first Video Game. What was your first contact with the Medium? The first game you "beat"? How did your parents feel about it?

My story began walking around Sears with my family when I spotted a TV hooked up to a demo SNES. I had no idea what it was, and there was nobody around it. Then there was this thing attached to the system, which had all kinds of buttons. Instinctively I grabbed the controller and started playing with it (I was fairly young) and found out that you actually controlled what was on the screen.

"It's freaking magic!" I thought to myself. You can actually move this little red guy on the screen!!! (Who I would soon find out to be Mario) This had to be the coolest thing I'd ever seen in my tiny little life. He looked so lonely sitting atop one of the ghost houses, with nobody to guide him.
mFNIs.png

Terrified, I ran from the Boos chasing me down. Little did I know facing them would freeze them in their tracks. Then I fell into a pit, and had to start over. This puzzled me. Why would they take away my fun? Running back and forth was invigorating. All too soon my hands were pried away from the controller, there was important adult business to attend to.

But it was too late. :femto: Seeds of destruction had already been planted. Somewhere within my Grandma's mind, she sought to pervert my innocence using the latest in brain rotting video game technology. My next birthday I was presented with the finest of all surprises - a shiny new SNES! I was ecstatic. Now it was really too late. This little plumber would become a stepping stone into the future. I even had my grandma fashion me a respectable raccoon tail and Mario train hat. Spending afternoons destroying invisible blocks in the front yard was all too fun.
ZpoAU.jpg

(Purple button version = Awesome. It's too bad my old system has since disappeared)

In the following years I would go through similar phases with Sonic, Star Fox and Pokemon. These characters were the superheroes of my childhood. Mario was my superman. You could try to tell me otherwise, but I was quite convinced all I needed to fly was a cape and my trusty Mario hat. As much as I loved video games as a kid, I still had a very balanced life growing up. One thing I'm thankful for is how involved my parents were. They could've easily thought these games were bad for me, but instead they encouraged it. They played my SNES after I had gone to sleep. My Mom even stayed up late helping me beat Bowser (she was better than I was back then)
FVie9.gif

If they weren't so encouraging I might not have the same love for the Industry I do now. I might've been some boring person who doesn't play games because they're for children. Sometimes I still look at games and think "Wow, this is so cool! You can actually control what's happening on the screen!"

Do you guys have any fond tales of recollection? Share them here! :azan:

I agree with Aaz, Mario would have to be my first also. My brother owned a NES, I can hardly remember it because I was so young at the time. But I won't forget when he got a SNES not long later, and he let me open his package in the mail that turned out to be Super Mario Bro. All Stars. Man, that was awesome. I was sooo stoked! :serpico:

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
My first game was also Super Mario Bros/Duckhunt for the NES.. but it wasnt in the 80's, my parents found the old NES console in a garage sale with Mario Bros. that was in 94 when i was 4 or 5. but my fondest moments were of me playing:
DKC+003.png

which was MY first game, not shared with my bro and sis.

and the ofcourse i cant forget the endless hours of:
bigDK2crp--article_image.jpg

still to this day i wish i could get my 3 other cousins and play this all christmas eve and into the morning. :ubik:

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
My first console was an Atari 600XL. River Raid, Ms. Pac-Man, and Pitfall got a lot of screen time, but Joust... Joust was awesome. AWESOME.

But if I had to call out a 'first game' it'd be Galaga. My folks would go down to the lake hangout every couple weekends, it was like a park/boat launch/restaurant outside of town, and the place had two cabinets: Galaga and Pole Position. I liked em both but Galaga... Galaga was awesome. AWESOME. PLEASE EAT MY QUARTERS GALAGA!!

...Um so I just got Galaga for my DS

Oltobaz

Cancer no Deathmask
The first console I played was my uncle's Colecovision, along with Zaxxon and Donkey Kong. My own first system was the NES, along with Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, and Castlevania. I've been hooked ever since...

My first console was an Atari 2600 Junior, and my first ever video game was River Raid. It was 5 bucks to play 1 game and there used to be 3-4 games outside this place we used to grab dinner once in a while. So it was tradition to order Sweet Corn Chicken soup and run off to play River Raid.

Real men used knobs to play (when they were children :iva:)

pong.gif

My parents owned a version of Pong back when I was a little kid (in the early '80s) and they would let my sister and me play after our younger brother went to bed. They did that because my brother was too young to play and my father was afraid he would break the game.

Man, I'm getting old. :farnese:

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Man you guys are a bunch of old farts. :slan:

Thankfully I still got to experience a lot of NES games when I was a kid. I played all the original Mario games, but they weren't my first.

Lithrael said:
...Um so I just got Galaga for my DS

My dad adores Galaga. We bought the wiiware version, it's the only game he will play. Hey your days of hoarding quarters are over!

Truder said:
My first game was also Super Mario Bros/Duckhunt for the NES.. but it wasnt in the 80's, my parents found the old NES console in a garage sale with Mario Bros. that was in 94 when i was 4 or 5. but my fondest moments were of me playing:
DKC+003.png

DKC is heavenly. That picture reminded me of this theme instantly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lyRI_M8ZXE

In fact the whole game just had incredibly kick ass music. Another one of my favorites: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v18pEFQb3EM&feature=related

I kind of wish I had been born a few years older so I could've played the really retro games like pit fall.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
My dad had an Atari 2600 since before I was alive, so I was literally born into that, but I was too young and don't really remember those games, so in my mind, only one thing is vivid, like lightning flashing in the dark, one image swells up within me above all others...

super-mario-bros-titre.png

Truder said:
but my fondest moments were of me playing:
DKC+003.png

Some of my fondest gaming memories as well. My friend Sean and I have semi-regular "Donkey Kong Championships" where we play DKC 1 & 2, with its roots in the old Blockbuster video game championships which he participated in for DKC. We've been doing this since we were kids, all the way until he moved back east last November. At the time of our last match I lead him 5-3, so if he'd swept me and won DKC1 and then DKC2, we would have tied for all time status and DKC3 would have been employed as the tiebreaker. It's the the hardest one and neither of us are nearly as familiar with it as the others; it would have been a test of pure Donkey Kong Country skill! Needless to say, that wasn't necessary. After losing DKC1 the year before at King K. Rool, I wasn't going to let that happen again, and won a very competitive high level playthrough, pushing my total wins to 6, preventing any chance of a tie, and preserving my status as the overall Donkey Kong Champion!

I can go more into specifics if you guys want, give you our stats, etc? :slan:

Top Bottom