New Nintendo Console to debut at E3 2011

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/04/14/new-nintendo-console-at-e3.aspx

Gamers have been waiting years for Nintendo to finally release its Wii successor, and Game Informer has heard from multiple sources that the company will unveil it at E3 this summer if not sooner.

We have confirmed with multiple sources that this new home system is capable of running games at HD resolutions. There are conflicting reports, however, as to whether its graphics will be comparable to those on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 – meaning it could surpass or fall short of those systems. Either way it will offer competitive specifications. Moving to HD should greatly help Nintendo and its new console in getting more multi-platform triple-A titles like Portal 2 or Mortal Kombat. This, in turn, will strengthen Nintendo's historically poor relationship with third-party publishers/developers.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I'm truly curious about what their strategy's going to be. What technology they'll have on board and so on. Since Sony and Microsoft don't look like they're planning on releasing a new system just quite yet (especially Sony), it could create a real gap between the systems in terms of power (in favor of Nintendo for a while, then in favor of its competitors once they launch their own next generation hardware).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I've just got a hunch that based on how little support they've given Motion Plus in the past, that that will become the new de facto standard for motion controlling with the new platform. They won't introduce a whole new way to control the games. What they have with Motion Plus works, and hasn't even had its limits tested yet. As for hardware, who can say, but traditionally Nintendo keeps their hardware inexpensive so the price is more affordable.

And as for when we'll start hearing stuff, historically, Nintendo announced the Wii in April 27, 2006, a few months before E3 2006, and it was released later that year. So we could see an early unveiling for this new console as well, with it reaching market around Thanksgiving or Christmas 2011.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
hmm, doesn't Nintendo have a cycle of when they release new consoles? I think I saw a video of that where they explain that Nintendo has released a new console every 7 years (i think) and that this year they are due for a new console. So I wouldn't be too surprised if nintendo did release a new console.

BUT, this would be the 2nd time that a new Zelda game has been released when a new console has come out, giving it an awkward release. maybe it will be released on the new console as well

I hope we get a new Smash Bros! Yeaaah :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Truder said:
hmm, doesn't Nintendo have a cycle of when they release new consoles?
Roughly every five years, but it's not perfect, and I wouldn't rely on that as a major indicator of this console's release. They release a new console when the market is deemed ready, like any major manufacturer of hardware. The only reason this release is somewhat unique is the Wii was based on GameCube hardware from 2001, so any increase in hardware is a welcome addition.

Truder said:
BUT, this would be the 2nd time that a new Zelda game has been released when a new console has come out, giving it an awkward release. maybe it will be released on the new console as well
Not awkward -- a great launch title. :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
I've just got a hunch that based on how little support they've given Motion Plus in the past, that that will become the new de facto standard for motion controlling with the new platform. They won't introduce a whole new way to control the games. What they have with Motion Plus works, and hasn't even had its limits tested yet.

Agreed. I think they'll mostly stick to their current control scheme, use maybe a boosted up Motion Plus & Nunchuk with an accompanying "classic controller" that'll be an evolution of the GC pad.

Walter said:
As for hardware, who can say, but traditionally Nintendo keeps their hardware inexpensive so the price is more affordable.

Hmm, I don't completely agree with that being a "traditional" thing. It's been their policy in recent years, but they also didn't really have much of a choice after getting burned with the GC. I think they broke from that mold with the 3DS to some extent, and I think they might do the same with this new console.

Walter said:
And as for when we'll start hearing stuff, historically, Nintendo announced the Wii in April 27, 2006, a few months before E3 2006, and it was released later that year. So we could see an early unveiling for this new console as well.

I agree, my guess right now would be a launch for thanksgiving in the US, Christmas for Japan and Europe. That being said, the article mentions a "reported late 2012 launch".

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
Hmm, I don't completely agree with that being a "traditional" thing. It's been their policy in recent years, but they also didn't really have much of a choice after getting burned with the GC.
Yeah, I misspoke. It's been my perception that their hardware upon launch, even as far back as the NES, was relatively cheap, but provided room for growth and adaptability by designers. When I look at the GameBoy, I see a very efficient device that though underpowered, was able to stay alive on the market well after its hardware was relevant. But if you look at the price tags, the devices weren't cheap at launch, but with price drops, became perceived as cheaper as time went on.

I think they broke from that mold with the 3DS to some extent, and I think they might do the same with this new console.
I welcome it!

That being said, the article mentions a "reported late 2012 launch".
Ah, damn.. didn't see that in the article. Was too excited! :serpico: I suppose a launch this year would be a little fast.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Interesting. Sony claims that their goal is to give the PS3 a full 10 year life spam. But that's a bold goal pending on how technology and developers go. Granted the PS2 is still kicking, but I think they intend to mainstream the PS3 for that period of time. As for the 360. It was announced that Microsoft was looking for developers for their next gen console. But who really knows when either, or are going to have a release. As for Nintendo, I'm really rooting for them. I understand they've had bad and strict policies in the past but hopefully things can go better... Live and learn anyone?

Statistics claim that the world of video games are increasing in numbers in the US. Primarily they state that it's due to the financial struggle here in the US. They compare hollywood and it's raise through out the great depression and how it was affordable for people than other "activities". Now I don't know if this is true, it_could make sense but in the end it all comes down to how much are they pushing. I give Nintendo a lot of credit on the Wii... It's not my first console of choice, but with the amount of investment compared to their complete gross income one would think it was a success.

Aphasia

ALL MYSTERIES MUST BE SOLVED
Nomad said:
Interesting. Sony claims that their goal is to give the PS3 a full 10 year life spam.

Intentional typo? :slan:

This is certainly exciting news. 2012/13 sounds about right for Nintendo. I'm excited to see what they bring to the table.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
I just wanted to say that the Wii was my first Nintendo console and probably my last. And no Sony consoles for me.
Actually i think i'm done with gaming specific platforms.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
I just wanted to say that the Wii was my first Nintendo console and probably my last. And no Sony consoles for me.

"The Dreamcast was the best! :judo:"

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
according to IGN.com, they said that

"it will be backwards compatible with current Wii games and will be significantly more powerful than the PS3 and xbox 360, and that Nintendo's intent is to recapture the hardcore market. Another source said it is capable of 1080p resolutions. "

here's the video http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/04/14/ign-daily-fix-041411
and written article http://wii.ign.com/articles/116/1161875p1.html

what do you guys think it will be named? Wii 2? Wii HD? or maybe the Revolution! :troll:

do you think it will be able to play Blue Ray movies? or perhaps they will go with HD DVDs..

Nintendo has already stated that their next home console will most likely not have 3D capabilities.

what say you fellow forum goers?

I bought a new tv this past holiday season. It was 3-D ready (not my reason for buying it), so I gave some movies and games a go with this feature on and all the while rocking those goofy glasses...over my standard issue glasses. I can honestly say, 3D is a gimmick and needs to go away. I've played Killzone 3 and Black Ops in 3-D. Nothing special. Did Black Ops have superior 3D over Killzone 3, absolutely. All 3D isn't created equal. Should Nintendo choose not to support 3D, I don't think they'll be behind the curve. What's puts them behind the curve is the lack of HD. Yes, it's 2011 and I want my games to play AND look good. I don't think that's much to ask considering what we pay per game. Whether or not it plays Blu-Rays...well, hopefully it does. I'd prefer to see it play Blu-Rays and not support 3-D than the other way around.

NightCrawler

Griffith said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOQ3H0zAljw#t=0m40s

Well i played on NES knockoffs all the time when i was young, so i didn't miss any of the Nintendo classics, but i didn't own one. Sega was way more influential in my country. No one i knew had a SNES, only one dude had a N64 and a Gamecube later on.
Since everyone had Sega consoles it was easier to trade games. Besides, Nintendo games were widely regarded as kiddie games, and that weighted alot on us pre-teens.
Contra was my favourite Nintendo game, but Sega had the best Contra game: Probotector (or HardCorps).
So yeah, i prefer Sonic over Mario, Shinning Force over Final Fantasy, Shinobi over Ninja Gaiden, Streets of Rage over any beat em up. Gunstar Heroes, Mortal Kombat, Phantasy Star, Golden Axe, Strider, Fifa Soccer, Comix Zone, etc...

Aazealh said:
"The Dreamcast was the best! :judo:"

:ganishka: Yeah...
It wasn't the best, i had more fun with the MegaDrive, specially playing with friends. But the Dreamcast introduced me to new gaming experiences, that's why i have fond memories of it.

---------------

Back to topic, "recapture the hardcore market". When was the last time they had the hardcore market?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
You sure chose a great time to jump on the Nintendo home console bandwagon! :ganishka:

1466239832_1.jpg

Wrong answer!

I had the best of both worlds, so I judged their games equally, and as much as I love Sega, they were still always just the alternative, which also gave them their own identity and allure. Anyway, if you don't like Sony, you should probably hate Sega even more for pulling worse customer-unfriendly shit, to the point they finally exiled themselves from the system market. I tend to romanticize the Sega days myself though, like I said, there was just something about them...

segadarktower.jpg

NightCrawler said:
Back to topic, "recapture the hardcore market". When was the last time they had the hardcore market?

Super Nintendo, the GOAT. I think they mean hardcore gamers from the standpoint of power, graphics, and the best games, which is nice to hear. Last they had it was was probably Nintendo 64, when they lost it to Playstation from being a step behind on CDs as well as Sony taking Sega's anti-Nintendo position to new heights. Quit fucking around Nintendo and give the people what they really want...

Super_NES_designs.png

Super Nintendo 2! :badbone:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Truder said:
what do you guys think it will be named? Wii 2? Wii HD?

Definitely not either of these.

Truder said:
do you think it will be able to play Blue Ray movies? or perhaps they will go with HD DVDs..

Proprietary disc format. HD-DVD is dead, and considering that the Wii can't even play DVDs... Not to mention that Blu-Ray is a Sony format. Or they could use just cards. :slan: Nowadays SD cards can reach 128 GB of space, so who knows. It'd be a revenge over the N64 days. :ganishka:

Truder said:
Nintendo has already stated that their next home console will most likely not have 3D capabilities.

Yeah, they'd said that months ago already. Just like they'd always said that their next system would have HD, the reason the Wii didn't was because it had barely penetrated the market when it launched.

Proj2501 said:
I bought a new tv this past holiday season. It was 3-D ready (not my reason for buying it), so I gave some movies and games a go with this feature on and all the while rocking those goofy glasses...over my standard issue glasses. I can honestly say, 3D is a gimmick and needs to go away. I've played Killzone 3 and Black Ops in 3-D. Nothing special. Did Black Ops have superior 3D over Killzone 3, absolutely. All 3D isn't created equal. Should Nintendo choose not to support 3D, I don't think they'll be behind the curve.

Like previously stated, they won't support 3D. That being said, I do believe that 3D can make a great addition to games. It just has to be done right.

Proj2501 said:
What's puts them behind the curve is the lack of HD. Yes, it's 2011 and I want my games to play AND look good. I don't think that's much to ask considering what we pay per game. Whether or not it plays Blu-Rays...well, hopefully it does.

And yet half of the Gears of War 2 players were still playing in SD a year or so ago, and a lot of HD TV owners still don't watch HD programs. Remember that our experience isn't always a good reflection of the general state of the market. I'm not saying HD isn't a must-have today, but that it wasn't necessarily a bad choice not to include it back when they shipped the Wii. As for Blu-Rays, don't you already have a player (PS3 in your case)? I mean it'd be neat if it played them (would actually be a big incentive for me), but somehow I don't see Nintendo paying the associated fees for it. I think they'd rather go for Video on Demand.

NightCrawler said:
:ganishka: Yeah...
It wasn't the best, i had more fun with the MegaDrive, specially playing with friends. But the Dreamcast introduced me to new gaming experiences, that's why i have fond memories of it.

Hahaha, see how good I am? I could smell the Sega fan right out of you! :slan:

NightCrawler said:

SNES, like Griff said. Although to be fair, the "hardcore gamers" back in the day likely had a N64 as well. But really, I would take what these articles say with a grain of salt until we hear from Nintendo themselves.

Griffith said:
Super Nintendo 2! :badbone:

I still think the 3DS should have been called the SNDS. :iva:

Another article with some intriguing claims:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/298241/news/wii-2-has-all-new-hd-controller-out-2012-sources/ said:
Nintendo's Wii successor is set to utilise an entirely new controller and will be more powerful than Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, well-placed international industry sources have told CVG. CVG sources understand Nintendo plans to officially unveil the console, which will feature full HD visuals and graphical capabilities beyond Sony and Microsoft's current hardware, at E3 this June. Leading games publishers have already been briefed on the new console, we understand, and launch titles from third-party developers are in the works right now.

What's most exciting about the Wii successor however is its all-new controller, which industry sources have indicated is not simply an upgraded Wii Remote, and will even feature a built-in HD screen. Our sources did not specify whether or not the controller displays will feature any other functionality, such as that of the DS's touch screen, but it's easy to imagine the sort of innovation an extra screen could bring to Wii 2 games.

"Nintendo's plans sound unreal," one source said. "Publishers are already planning launch titles and it's all very exciting. "The hardware is even more powerful than current HD consoles and backwards compatible with Wii. The controller will be all-new and has a HD screen on it."

I've read some contradicting news on another website (in French, unfortunately), stating that the "tablet" controller won't be HD. Its screen would supposedly be 6 inches and feature a D-pad, shoulder buttons and all the usual stuff, would be single touch and sport a front facing camera as well as an equivalent of the Wii's sensor bar. They also say the system's architecture would be very close to the Xbox 360, and only slightly more powerful. And there still would be a big surprise left for the reveal at E3...

NightCrawler

I thought the 16bit wars were quite even, with no clear winner between the SNES and the MegaDrive. So Nintendo leading the hardcore gaming? Maybe on the NES days for sure. That's why they still do so good. Rehashing old franchises all the time with pleasant new gameplay ideas. So in a way, they're the only gaming company that still maintains some charm, something that Sony and Microsoft don't have at all.

Griffith

NightCrawler said:
I thought the 16bit wars were quite even, with no clear winner between the SNES and the MegaDrive.

I say this as someone that loves the Sega MegaDrive/Genesis, maybe even more than the Super Nintendo on some level (if the SNES was my wife, then the Genesis was my sexy black mistress), but the SNES had the better overall system, games, and sales. Though Sega did a lot better than most probably think or remember, especially in America and Europe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles_%28fourth_generation%29

This is a fun read so long after the fact; it's like reading about the WWII of my generation! :badbone:

NightCrawler said:
So Nintendo leading the hardcore gaming? Maybe on the NES days for sure. That's why they still do so good. Rehashing old franchises all the time with pleasant new gameplay ideas. So in a way, they're the only gaming company that still maintains some charm, something that Sony and Microsoft don't have at all.

Sega had an abundance of charm, more than Nintendo ever did. Unfortunately, it was the charm of a sociopath that would seduce you, take your money, then move on to the next system without supporting you. BTW, did I mention the Dreamcast was the last system I bought new? =)

NightCrawler

Griffith said:
I say this as someone that loves the Sega MegaDrive/Genesis, maybe even more than the Super Nintendo on some level (if the SNES was my wife, then the Genesis was my sexy black mistress), but the SNES had the better overall system, games, and sales. Though Sega did a lot better than most probably think or remember, especially in America and Europe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles_%28fourth_generation%29

This is a fun read so long after the fact; it's like reading about the WWII of my generation! :badbone:

Sega had an abundance of charm, more than Nintendo ever did. Unfortunately, it was the charm of a sociopath that would seduce you, take your money, then move on to the next system without supporting you. BTW, did I mention the Dreamcast was the last system I bought new? =)

That was quite an interesting read. I was a bit surprised by Sega's numbers. They really did a lot better than i thought.

Just look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles
The Dreamcast sold less than the Gamegear. Wow. It's a shame, because it was such an influential console, introducing so many features that are standard today. Sega's lasted sigh was when they finally got it right, aiming for a more diverse audience with quality software and a number of technological innovations.

There are six games that can still be played online. Quake III Arena and Maximum Pool are still accessible via various servers. 4x4 Evolution and Starlancer are still online through Gamespy. SEGA Swirl can be also be played online with its play by e-mail game. Phantasy Star Online has private servers where people can use the PAL version with an action replay/code breaker boot disc to bypass the online check and connect to the server.

It's great to see it still has a cult status, even though it had such a short life-span.

Is Sega the sole culprit of it's demise? Can't we just blame Sony for everything? :judo:

EDIT: I forgot to mention Ecco the Dolphin in my MegaDrive game list. Loved it.
The only game the SNES had that i wished to have on the MegaDrive was Chrono Trigger.

Griffith

A collection of rumors on Nintendo's new system: http://kotaku.com/#!5792670/the-great-big-wii-2-rumor-round+up

NightCrawler said:
That was quite an interesting read. I was a bit surprised by Sega's numbers. They really did a lot better than i thought.

Just look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_game_consoles
The Dreamcast sold less than the Gamegear. Wow. It's a shame, because it was such an influential console, introducing so many features that are standard today. Sega's lasted sigh was when they finally got it right, aiming for a more diverse audience with quality software and a number of technological innovations.

Yep, the Dreamcast paid for the sins of its forebears, as did the Gamecube despite being the most powerful system of that generation and having plenty of "hardcore" titles. I always worry about that with Nintendo, I know the Wii sold like crazy, but so did the Nintendo 64, so that doesn't mean people will take them seriously next time after getting burned by the Wii. If they do put out a beast, I hope they don't fall victim to that cycle.

NightCrawler said:
Is Sega the sole culprit of it's demise? Can't we just blame Sony for everything? :judo:

Sure, they finally killed the SNES, except the Playstation was a deserving champion whose time had come, and the PS2... it's like some kind of undead monster.

NightCrawler said:
EDIT: I forgot to mention Ecco the Dolphin in my MegaDrive game list. Loved it.
The only game the SNES had that i wished to have on the MegaDrive was Chrono Trigger.

A worthy choice, but you'd still be missing out on dozens of mandatory titles.

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
In my fantasy dream world, Nintendo will invest heavily in Solid State Drives, dropping their prices drastically, and use them for games instead of discs. Then the world will shed collective tears of joy as we are returned to the Golden Age of Cartridges and No Loading Times. :judo:

Whatever this thing turns out to be, they sure picked a good time. Sony and Microsoft's consoles are just finally snuggling into their finalized forms, with good price tags, motion controls, and respective game libraries. There's really no reason for either of them to unveil their next generation of consoles for at least another year or two. This could be interesting.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Frankly, I was never a Sega fan. And yes my preference was based on no reason what so ever. My opinions were always biased and Sega was the enemy... However, I admit that the Dreamcast really slapped me in the face. I'm not going to go for the "Best freaking console evaaa!" But I loved the games, and the library available. I really wished the best for that console... So there ya have it! :casca:

I keep reading more and more information about this new console. Claiming that it's new controller will be out of this world and all. I wonder if all these "leaked" information is but also a part of marketing. These "leaks" are happening way too often lately, and it's starting to bother me.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
as did the Gamecube despite being the most powerful system of that generation and having plenty of "hardcore" titles.

The Xbox was the powerful system of that generation. The GC was 2nd best though (and much more compact), not bad!

Nomad said:
Frankly, I was never a Sega fan. And yes my preference was based on no reason what so ever.

The Megadrive's controller sucked, that's a fact. The console's biggest flaw as far as I'm concerned. Now can we stop all this Sega talk? :puck:

Nomad said:
I keep reading more and more information about this new console. Claiming that it's new controller will be out of this world and all. I wonder if all these "leaked" information is but also a part of marketing. These "leaks" are happening way too often lately, and it's starting to bother me.

A lot of companies seem to be using it as a cheap form of marketing, yeah. Not a fan of the concept either, but it is effective. That being said, I'm not sure it's the case here. Nintendo's always been very secretive about its plans, going as far as to reveal the 3DS' existence early in a rather lame way to preempt a leak in a Japanese newspaper.

Saephon said:
Sony and Microsoft's consoles are just finally snuggling into their finalized forms, with good price tags, motion controls, and respective game libraries. There's really no reason for either of them to unveil their next generation of consoles for at least another year or two.

I'd have expected Microsoft to release their new system in 2012 if only they hadn't come up with Kinect. Now however, I don't know... I think they should still move on to a newer system by 2012 or 2013. Sony are the only ones that are "finally" getting comfortable with their current offering, but strategically I'm not sure it's such a good thing for them. If Nintendo and MS both move on early it could put them in a difficult situation, not to mention that the NGP's development cost (and production cost as well?) is going to take a toll on their revenue.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
The Xbox was the powerful system of that generation. The GC was 2nd best though (and much more compact), not bad!

My bad, I was just seemingly always more impressed by the graphics of GC games (and that's what really counts =).

Aazealh said:
The Megadrive's controller sucked, that's a fact. The console's biggest flaw as far as I'm concerned. Now can we stop all this Sega talk? :puck:

No way man, when you only need one button to play Sonic, three is already overkill! Can you plug a Nintendon't controller into an Atari!? I don't think so! This talk about a separate screen on the new Nintendo controller is impressive though... or was when Dreamcast did it in 1998!

WELCO
ME
TOT
HE
NEX
T
LEVEL
:mozgus:
SEGA
Nomad said:
I wonder if all these "leaked" information is but also a part of marketing. These "leaks" are happening way too often lately, and it's starting to bother me.
Nomad said:
A lot of companies seem to be using it as a cheap form of marketing, yeah. Not a fan of the concept either, but it is effective. That being said, I'm not sure it's the case here. Nintendo's always been very secretive about its plans, going as far as to reveal the 3DS' existence early in a rather lame way to preempt a leak in a Japanese newspaper.

The alternative is that it's just a bunch of BS and the only companies profiting from it are the ones publishing it.

Top Bottom