What if Guts dies...

Two questions & two votes (do not vote for the same option twice): 1.) Will Guts die by series' end?

• Total voters

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Gobolatula said:
Honestly, this fight with the Sea God is going to seriously fuck him up. I can't see his hearing being that great after that giant heart beating in his face. Things aren't looking so hot for Guts as time goes on. His senses of taste and sight have been shown deteriorating. He's gotten thinner and scarred like crazy.

After seeing the latest episode, I think it's pretty clear that Guts will be the closest to death he's ever been since the Occultation after defeating the Sea God. His only hope will be the King of the Flower Storm in Elfhelm. At this point, he's probably the only one who can heal Guts and get him back on his feet after this fight.

Although the armor is slowly starting to eat away at Guts little by little, I don't think he will die though that wont be enough to keep him down. Hopefully once he reaches Elfhelm, the Elf King will be able to cure him of what is causing him so much pain with the armor. Guts is doing all he can to make sure the armor doesn't envelop him completely and turn him into a monster.

I have no doubt Guts will not go down without a fight, so in short he will survive.

Skullgrin140 said:
Although the armor is slowly starting to eat away at Guts little by little, I don't think he will die though that wont be enough to keep him down. Hopefully once he reaches Elfhelm, the Elf King will be able to cure him of what is causing him so much pain with the armor. Guts is doing all he can to make sure the armor doesn't envelop him completely and turn him into a monster.

I have no doubt Guts will not go down without a fight, so in short he will survive.

I don't think it's possible to "cure him of what is causing him so much pain with the armor", because that's just a side effect of the armor. By battling as the berserker, it slowly starts to "eat away" at the person wearing it, so to speak (loss of vision, trembling fingers, etc etc.)

What would be interesting is if he (The Elf King) would be able to apply something to the armor (a talisman of some sort?) that enables Guts to retain control over it, sort of like he's doing/has done with Schierke. Not sure if that's possible, but I think it'd certainly help the poor guy out :sad:

That's the thing I like most about Guts, though. "He survives."

But if he had to die, I could only see it happening one way. And I will also reference volume 3 because right when Guts looks like he's dead, he attacks Griffith. I would love to see an ending like that in Falconia. Griffith confidently assumes he's killed Guts. The man's on the floor bleeding out. He turns around. And BAM! Dragonslayer through the chest. I'd like to see the look on Griffith's face. :guts: Then Guts would have earned his rest in my book.

B

BloodyDevil

I think Guts won't die since he survived to all of his battles and he won't leave Casca alone.

But if he has to, he will take Griffith with him (or at least the Femto part).

B

BloodyDevil

Aazealh said:
That's the only part there is. Without Femto there's no Griffith.

Yeah I know. By saying that, I mean that if he takes Griffith with him, the truth about Femto may be revealed or Guts will protect the memory of his old friend by hiding the fact that he is a monster.

BloodyDevil said:
or Guts will protect the memory of his old friend by hiding the fact that he is a monster.

I imagine Guts will never associate Griffith with the word "friend" ever again. Just the man's name turns his face into this horrible contorted manifestation of anger.

B

BloodyDevil

Handmade_lion said:
I imagine Guts will never associate Griffith with the word "friend" ever again. Just the man's name turns his face into this horrible contorted manifestation of anger.

Yeah sure. That's why I spoke about the first option. But, I have seen in many mangas a story of revenge and often, the hero forgives his friend at the end even if he became the worst person who can exist in the story.

I hope it won't happen since I really hate Femto/Griffith :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
BloodyDevil said:
By saying that, I mean that if he takes Griffith with him, the truth about Femto may be revealed or Guts will protect the memory of his old friend by hiding the fact that he is a monster.
BloodyDevil said:
But, I have seen in many mangas a story of revenge and often, the hero forgives his friend at the end even if he became the worst person who can exist in the story.

:schierke:

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
BloodyDevil said:
a story of revenge and often, the hero forgives his friend at the end even if he became the worst person who can exist in the story.
That's the plot of Naruto right there. :ganishka:

B

BloodyDevil

Aazealh said:

I never said that this is what is going to happen (if it happens I would be very disappointed). I tried to give several issues. Sorry if you don't want to hear such a possibility. Next time, I won't try to imagine the different issues which can done :guts:

Truder said:
That's the plot of Naruto right there. :ganishka:

In this manga, I never saw Naruto who wants to get his revenge on Sasuke. He has always seen him as his friend >_>

skullnights_pants

I'm a llama!
If I really think about it, gutts wil get killed off. Characters like these live for the purpose of a storyline, and once the storyline is gone (i.e. Griffith is killed or whatever), Gutts will have no real purpose and it will be hard to write an ending where he lives on and does his character justice.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
skullnights_pants said:
once the storyline is gone (i.e. Griffith is killed or whatever), Guts will have no real purpose
That's a rather narrow view of Guts' entire life.

skullnights_pants

I'm a llama!
He is a character in an epic story, I don't really see how he can be done justice if he survives. What kind of ending what you have him have -as an example should he live?

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
skullnights_pants said:
Characters like these live for the purpose of a storyline

It's usually more damaged, stunted, one trick pony characters that have that problem. Like in Harry Potter, Sirius and Snape, you always knew they weren't gonna make it because they were both basically stuck 15 years in the past and incapable of any character growth. Guts is not a stagnant character like that. Guts is not his quest for revenge.

skullnights_pants said:
What kind of ending what you have him have -as an example should he live?

Well the correct ironic thing to do would be to have him end up being the king that Griffith always wanted to be.

skullnights_pants

I'm a llama!
If miura did that then he could seriously piss off a legion of fans

it will be hard to write an ending where he lives on that does his character justice.

I still agree with this ^

But whatever happens, his character seems destined to not have a happy ending

It's important to remember how Guts has been written. There is more to his character than just swinging a sword and defeating Griffith. Let's not forget, skullnights, he is also trying to return Casca's mind to her. And if they succeed in that, it will definitely leave room for things to happen after the final showdown with Griffith. Not saying that this will happen, but he won't just confusedly shrug as to what to do next after he's beaten Griffith, either.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
skullnights_pants said:
Characters like these live for the purpose of a storyline, and once the storyline is gone (i.e. Griffith is killed or whatever), Guts will have no real purpose and it will be hard to write an ending where he lives on and does his character justice.

You're confused. Once the storyline is gone, the story ends. The characters in it can live or die, that has no incidence on anything. You say it will be hard to write an ending that does him justice, but that's regardless of whether he lives or dies. It's not like killing the character off naturally makes for a good ending. It doesn't. Seeing how hard it is to write Berserk in the first place, I'm confident Miura will write an awesome ending.

skullnights_pants said:
He is a character in an epic story, I don't really see how he can be done justice if he survives. What kind of ending what you have him have -as an example should he live?

How about you use your imagination? Him finally being free to live happily with Casca could be a wonderful ending if done properly. There are seriously no limits here. And Guts is a struggler. Someone who has survived through ridiculous odds ever since he was born. Someone who refused to give up, again and again, in the face of adversity. Having him die in the end isn't the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of doing him justice.

skullnights_pants said:
But whatever happens, his character seems destined to not have a happy ending

I don't see why. Miura himself has said before (very long ago, in fact) that he didn't mean for the end of Berserk to be pessimistic. Take that however you will.

skullnights_pants

I'm a llama!
Aazealh said:
You're confused. Once the storyline is gone, the story ends. The characters in it can live or die, that has no incidence on anything. You say it will be hard to write an ending that does him justice, but that's regardless of whether he lives or dies. It's not like killing the character off naturally makes for a good ending. It doesn't. Seeing how hard it is to write Berserk in the first place, I'm confident Miura will write an awesome ending.

How about you use your imagination? Him finally being free to live happily with Casca could be a wonderful ending if done properly. There are seriously no limits here. And Guts is a struggler. Someone who has survived through ridiculous odds ever since he was born. Someone who refused to give up, again and again, in the face of adversity. Having him die in the end isn't the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of doing him justice.

I don't see why. Miura himself has said before (very long ago, in fact) that he didn't mean for the end of Berserk to be pessimistic. Take that however you will.

I am not confused, and I most certainly do have an imagination... This is a speculation forum, you haven no more correct a theory than another but I do notice you tend to outright refute or deny theories like you know the answer, when there is't one yet. Its all speculation you see. Maybe I am reading your writing wrong but it can come across as rude/condescending at sometimes.

Killing off a character usually works in stories/films because we have an emotional attachment to that character, even if they are fictional.

The story will need a big winding up, I doubt it will end just like that, there will be an epilogue of sorts, and I don't see Guts and Casca living happily together in the end as a good ending as it doesn't sound realistic in the world of berserk, where nobody in the chapters/stories seems to get any happy ending at all

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
skullnights_pants said:
I do have an imagination... This is a speculation forum, you haven no more correct a theory than another but I do notice you tend to outright refute or deny theories where there is no open answer.

So since you do have an imagination (notice I didn't say otherwise), how about you use it instead of asking us to give you examples, as you are the one who's saying that otherwise you can't think of any alternative to your "theory" (which is not a theory but an unsubstantiated, un-argumented opinion)?

skullnights_pants said:
Killing off a character usually works in stories/films because we have an emotional attachment to that character, even if they are fictional.

Yeah and not killing off the character also works because we have an emotional attachment to him. Fortunately for us authors are usually more subtle than "killing him off will make them sad".

skullnights_pants said:
The story will need a big winding up, I doubt it will end just like that, there will be an epilogue of sorts, and I don't see Guts and Casca living happily together in the end as a good ending as it doesn't sound realistic in the world of berserk, where nobody in the chapters/stories seems to get any happy ending at all

Maybe you should re-read the story, given that several characters have left the story relatively "happily" so far. Characters like Jill, Luca and her girls or Nina and Joachim among others. Isma will likely join them soon as well. Anyway, Guts dying would not make for a better epilogue than him living since there'd obviously be less to say/show, so that doesn't support what you're saying.

skullnights_pants said:
I don't see Guts and Casca living happily together in the end as a good ending as it doesn't sound realistic in the world of berserk, where nobody in the chapters/stories seems to get any happy ending at all

Actually, I can think of several occasions where Guts has moved on and the story has been very lighthearted and optimistic. For example at the end of the Lost Children Chapter, Jill stayed behind with her family and seemed to have resolved to be a stronger person and move on with life. And at the end of Conviction with the prostitutes and the knight Jerome, we left them on very good terms.

skullnights_pants

I'm a llama!
the whole series is dark and pessimistic, i see it ending in similar fashion.

this is a forum where we exchange ideas, its not unusual to ask other members to field their thoughts.

as I already said, your tone of writing can come across as antagonistic at times

Top Bottom