Berserk Saga Project News

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
ApostleBob said:
Not to be a nitpicker Walter, but this has to be a little out of sequence or else someone's really messing with the timeline.
Yep, I noticed it as well, but other than that one shot which is clearly from the "steps" scene, everything else seems to be in sequence. But the sequence in and of itself isn't what informs us of where the movie begins and ends. What's more important is the earliest scene shown, and the latest scene shown.

Jaze1618 said:
For some reason I am hopeful that movie # 2 will provide more information on Guts Childhood.
As has been said a few times now, even if they go further back in a flashback, they already missed the best opportunity to introduce those elements of Guts' past: in the beginning.

I think I remember it is predicted to have a longer runtime than movie #1, but doesn't movie #2 have enough content from books 6 - 8 to cover on it's own..? Or do others also feel like it may have the wriggle room to provide more backstory?
Here's the runtime breakdown again (source):
-Movie 1: 80 minutes
-Movie 2: 100 minutes
-Movie 3: 110 minutes

Those are hard numbers that we can rely on. As to which volumes are covered, there's a little bit of guess work involved. But here's how we believe it'll be broken down:
-Movie 1: vols 4 - 6.5
-Movie 2: vols 6.6 - 8
-Movie 3: vols 9 - 13/14

IncantatioN said:
Cool update guys. At 45 seconds, Guts' hair is blue, the same color as his under-armor and at 48 seconds it reverts to a darker shade. The scene where Guts is looking for Griffith as Griffith jumps and lands on his sword looks comical, cos we know Guts' fighting skill. Also, before the jump-and-landing on the sword part, Griffith slashes Guts on his shoulders, arms, thighs in the manga, alternatively at 2:23 we see a clean unscratched Guts. Just watched this at work on mute, can't wait to get home and listen to the music! Rawr!
Now THIS is nitpicking. But you're mistaken. Guts' hair is just his normal hair color with light being cast on it. This gives it the appearance of having a similar color to his shirt, I agree. But that doesn't mean it's an error. It just means it happens to be a similar color. And when you said "at 48 seconds it reverts to a darker shade," you're comparing the lighting across two different scenes.

H

hellrasinbrasin

I think, we've nitpicked the pre-production of the Golden Age Arc; more than those who do live-action film. lol

The theme towards the end reminded me of The Imperial March.

Walter said:
Now THIS is nitpicking. But you're mistaken. Guts' hair is just his normal hair color with light being cast on it. This gives it the appearance of having a similar color to his shirt, I agree. But that doesn't mean it's an error. It just means it happens to be a similar color. And when you said "at 48 seconds it reverts to a darker shade," you're comparing the lighting across two different scenes.
It's just something that was very noticeable and stood out to me, thanks for explaining though.

Hello everyone ,
Just watched the video that Walter posted and I must say that suddenly I got pretty hyped about the movie. I was a bit of skeptical at first for the use of so much CGI , but after I saw the 5 minute footage , the CGI didn't bother me and didn't look out of place. Looking at Guts,Griffith and Casca animated brought a big smile on my face. Looking forward to the movie. :guts:

Awesome vid that movie is definitely going to have a place in my collection when it gets released in NA(hopefully)

IncantatioN said:
The theme towards the end reminded me of The Imperial March.

Yeah I caught that too with that music I could kinda picture Zodd dealing a few Darth Vader Lines Like "Greetings my Master" to Griffith or telling Guts to join the Dark Side

all in all I think it will be Nice to see Guts and company animated again even if its not 100% true to the Manga

Turkitage said:
Man, watching that last 5 minute video.. this CGI is really bothering me the more I watch these trailers. I just feel cheesy even watching it.
I agree, also the grass looks still too bright for me, but I think this won't bother me when I see the whole thing... But I love the non-CGI parts, and also it was good to hear more of the soundtracks, both sounds cool. Thanks for the video :serpico:

The CGI bothers me as well. But it could be due to the trailers and we dunno how heavy they used it. The important parts aren't the battles. And if they catch the mood right there (okay there are some important and meaningful, yes, more, but still) it won't bug me that much,

Anyways. Am i the only one that needs sunglasses for some scenes? It is so over the top lit up like Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.
Ah and thanks for all the great coverage for all non-nico-nico-douga-premium users :)

The more I watch it, the more Griffith's jump onto Guts blade looks ridiculous. I know he's supposed to be incredibly skilled, but it appears unrealistic and cartoony.

I know it's absurd to reference realism in a work that has transforming demons, gods that spin man's fate, and a protagonist that wield's a sword the size of a bench, but Berserk has always towed the line to make you believe that these are very human characters with human limitations. Injuries aren't shrugged off and people don't fight or fly through the air like Dragon Ball Z. The supernatural in the world of Berserk is completely unexpected to it's inhabitants, and as a result, seems impossible to overcome. Guts' feats of strength just seems that much more impressive because of this rooted realism.

Let's pray this example in the film is isolated and we don't have Guts and Griffith flying through the air, swinging swords so fast they catch fire, or Judeau throwing knives like a machine gun. A realistic portrayal of combat with some slight dramatic embellishments is what I hope we get.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
ApostleBob said:
Let's pray this example in the film is isolated and we don't have Guts and Griffith flying through the air, swinging swords so fast they catch fire
I agree that it's a very unrealistic moment, but it's not as bad as this. The insanely high jump occurs off camera thankfully. It would have been fine, actually, if they didn't animate Guts looking around confused for a full second until he sees Griffith land. His reaction implies that Griffith was incredibly high up, which is just absurd.

Lord Leith

Welcome back Casca
Oh my, it's been a while since I've posted, I had a feeling some news would have shown up :serpico:

I'm glad from what I see, that trailer put a fear of mine to rest, and that was that the CG would just not move smoothly in most scenes, at least now I can say that most scenes seem fine to me, though a few still need work, when Pippin hits a soldier on horseback, I gotta say, that looked awful...

The movie seems to be alright though :iva: As of now, the movie to me will now be decent at worse, great at best, I hope I get surprised, in a good way of course.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
ApostleBob said:
I know it's absurd to reference realism in a work that has transforming demons, gods that spin man's fate, and a protagonist that wield's a sword the size of a bench, but Berserk has always towed the line to make you believe that these are very human characters with human limitations. Injuries aren't shrugged off and people don't fight or fly through the air like Dragon Ball Z. The supernatural in the world of Berserk is completely unexpected to it's inhabitants, and as a result, seems impossible to overcome. Guts' feats of strength just seems that much more impressive because of this rooted realism.

Yeah I have to agree. It's too bad too, because the way the scene is portrayed in the manga is as dramatic if not more while staying completely realist within the context of the story. Griffith just jumps on the sword despite having been blinded a second before, which rightly flabbergasts Guts because it's plain amazing. Nothing more was needed.

Especially not some Super Mario jump. *sigh*

I'm on board with some of the changes like the enhancement of the Buzuso battle, but this is hardly an "improvement." The rest of the footage looks pretty great so far though...

ApostleBob said:
The more I watch it, the more Griffith's jump onto Guts blade looks ridiculous. I know he's supposed to be incredibly skilled, but it appears unrealistic and cartoony.

Let's pray this example in the film is isolated and we don't have Guts and Griffith flying through the air, swinging swords so fast they catch fire, or Judeau throwing knives like a machine gun. A realistic portrayal of combat with some slight dramatic embellishments is what I hope we get.

Ahem, don't forget that 600 lb sword that Guts will eventually swing 1 armed... I don't think Griffiths incredible agility is too far out of realism if you can accept Guts's strength as reality based.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
yynderjohn said:
Ahem, don't forget that 600 lb sword that Guts will eventually swing 1 armed... I don't think Griffiths incredible agility is too far out of realism if you can accept Guts's strength as reality based.

He didn't, and that's not the point. From the post you just quoted:

ApostleBob said:
I know it's absurd to reference realism in a work that has transforming demons, gods that spin man's fate, and a protagonist that wields a sword the size of a bench, but Berserk has always towed the line to make you believe that these are very human characters with human limitations. Injuries aren't shrugged off and people don't fight or fly through the air like Dragon Ball Z. The supernatural in the world of Berserk is completely unexpected to it's inhabitants, and as a result, seems impossible to overcome. Guts' feats of strength just seems that much more impressive because of this rooted realism.

It isn't so much about technical realism, but stylistic consistency. Berserk has impossible things in it, but they're consistent within its own universe so we can suspend our disbelief and it develops a realism within itself (even Guts ability to wield the Dragon Slayer can be technically attributed in part to his existence in the interstice =). That's not the same as this example from the movie, which is an artistic choice for an over-dramatized style, of which Guts' reaction is the more bothersome part. I don't want to make too much of it in and of itself, but if that's consistent with the rest of the new anime, that would be unfortunate since I'm sure nobody wants to see Berserk turned into kung fu cheese to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Like ApostleBob said, the series has an established tone and style that's appropriate and, while not like Dragon Ball or other purposefully over the top material, also isn't incompatible with the modern style fight choreography/cinematography; besides, if they go too far now, how will they depict the series' actual extreme supernatural fights like Guts second battle with Zodd or while berserk? From what we've seen though, it doesn't look like too much of an issue if this is the worst offender.

Here are the details for Susumu Hirasawa's Aria single and Ai's album Independent, which is apparently the only way to get Utsukushikimono/Beautiful Things.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=DAKCHTE-70
BERSERK Ogon Jidai Hen I Haoh no Tamago Theme: Aria
ベルセルク 黄金時代篇I 覇王の卵 主題曲 「Aria」/ 平沢進
Release Date: 2012/02/04
Catalog No.: DAKCHTE-70
JAN: 4948722438922
Label/Distributor: Daiki Sound

1. ベルセルク 黄金時代篇I 覇王の卵 主題曲 「Aria」/ 平沢進
2. ベルセルク 黄金時代篇I 覇王の卵 主題曲 「Aria」(カラオケ)/ 平沢進

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=TOCT-28043
INDEPENDENT/ AI
Release Date: 2012/02/22
Catalog No.: TOCT-28043
JAN: 4988006229990

1. DANCE TOGETHER
2. INDEPENDENT WOMAN
3. ハピネス (HAPPINESS)
4. アンバランス (UNBALANCE)
5. FUTURISTIC LOVER
6. W/U
7. ユメノムコウ (BEYOND YOUR DREAM)
8. ONE LOVE
9. ウツクシキモノ (BEAUTIFUL THINGS)
10. LETTER IN THE SKY FEAT.THE JACKSONS

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
thedigitalsin said:
Here are the details for Susumu Hirasawa's Aria single and Ai's album Independent, which is apparently the only way to get Utsukushikimono/Beautiful Things.

Thanks! The link to Independent had already been posted a little while back, but Aria wasn't up yet at the time. Adding it to my preorder list! :guts:

Griffith said:
how will they depict the series' actual extreme supernatural fights like Guts second battle with Zodd

there's a movie on youtube called "Berserk (PS2) Music Video (FMV & Ingame mix)" which starts with Guts vs Zodd fight, well I was impressed I wish we'll see something like that in the Berserk film when it comes to that point :troll:

Thanks thedigitalsin!
Aazealh said:
Adding it to my preorder list! :guts:
Ditto ^_^

Saw this update on their FB page -

407818_305153992869326_197046067013453_931365_118180494_n.jpg

'Berserk' x SHIBUYA 109MEN’S giveaway campaign "ガッツ man"!
'Berserk' huge advertisement appeared for youth fashion, SHIBUYA 109MEN’S! Also distributed to application form for special gift shops customers the giveaway in a lottery! Visit to Shibuya when visiting! http://109mens.jp/

Griffith said:
He didn't, and that's not the point. From the post you just quoted:

It isn't so much about technical realism, but stylistic consistency. Berserk has impossible things in it, but they're consistent within its own universe so we can suspend our disbelief and it develops a realism within itself (even Guts ability to wield the Dragon Slayer can be technically attributed in part to his existence in the interstice =). That's not the same as this example from the movie, which is an artistic choice for an over-dramatized style, of which Guts' reaction is the more bothersome part. I don't want to make too much of it in and of itself, but if that's consistent with the rest of the new anime, that would be unfortunate since I'm sure nobody wants to see Berserk turned into kung fu cheese to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Like ApostleBob said, the series has an established tone and style that's appropriate and, while not like Dragon Ball or other purposefully over the top material, also isn't incompatible with the modern style fight choreography/cinematography; besides, if they go too far now, how will they depict the series' actual extreme supernatural fights like Guts second battle with Zodd or while berserk? From what we've seen though, it doesn't look like too much of an issue if this is the worst offender.
My bad I didnt see the bolded text. I'd be ok with seeing some "unrealistic" kung fu/wuxia moves when Guts gets the Berserker armor. That's how I interpret the comics in my head anyhow... The Ps2 game does a fair balance and is really the only animated Berserker armor I can think of.

About the AI song, have the lyrics been released yet? I really want to know the lyrics. But I can't understand japanese besides a few words... :sad:

Like the song btw. I can't wait for the other movies' soundtrack already. I wonder how things will be like for the downfall and the eclipse. More Hirasawa songs? Who will make the OST? Such possibilities. :carcus:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Metatron said:
About the AI song, have the lyrics been released yet? I really want to know the lyrics. But I can't understand japanese besides a few words... :sad:
Lyrics are here: http://www.uta-net.com/song/124329/ But as far as translations go, good luck! I can tell you that Japanese pop song lyrics generally are not worth the effort of translating.

More Hirasawa songs? Who will make the OST? Such possibilities. :carcus:
There's just one Hirasawa song, Aria. And it's not on the soundtrack, which is by Shiro Sagisu. Full details were posted earlier here: http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=12735.msg205684#msg205684

Top Bottom