Prometheus

Oburi

All praise Grail
hellrasinbrasin said:
In all the build up to Prometheus everyone has forgotten about another Alien Universe project Aliens : Colonial Marines.

I haven't. I already preordered it and have been following closely. Looks good.

H

hellrasinbrasin

And its actually a part of the main cannon
set between Aliens and Alien 3

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
hellrasinbrasin said:
In all the build up to Prometheus everyone has forgotten about another Alien Universe project Aliens : Colonial Marines.
Ryouma said:
I think it's pretty hilarious that Colonial Marines is only now getting big press because of Prometheus. That game has been in the works for YEARS. It was first shown off in 2006 and has had a sordid, back-and-forth development history with Gearbox. The thing with Aliens games, much like Aliens sequels--they don't live up to expectations. So I'm not too excited about this one, and particularly because of Gearbox's involvement, who have yet to prove themselves as a capable developer with any sort of consistency. Oh, but Wally! They made Borderlands! They sure did. They also "finished' Duke Nukem Forever, and created and buried and revived the shambling corpse of Brothers in Arms.

Now, as for Alien 3, which I finally saw for the very first time tonight... whew. I really wanted to like this thing. I did. I like underdogs. I like under-appreciated films. But I can now say that Alien 3's general reception was pretty much spot-on.

Around the halfway mark, I was really enjoying myself and the slowed-down pacing of the movie. It gave Ripley and all the other actors some breathing room. A chance to act and have some actual character development. But then it heads inevitably toward its action-packed finale, which felt like it was the product of about 10 re-writes, ultimately settling on a scenario that simply does not work on the screen. Bald British guys running down various same-looking corridors screaming so that the alien can be lead to "the piston" in some nebulously designed network of pathways... It's just a fucking mess, and overall a sour note to end out the series with (Resurrection doesn't count. I read the premise and barfed all over myself).

For the record, Aliens is my favorite movie in the series, but I readily acknowledge that Alien is a better movie.

Walter said:
I think it's pretty hilarious that Colonial Marines is only now getting big press because of Prometheus. That game has been in the works for YEARS. It was first shown off in 2006 and has had a sordid, back-and-forth development history with Gearbox. The thing with Aliens games, much like Aliens sequels--they don't live up to expectations. So I'm not too excited about this one, and particularly because of Gearbox's involvement, who have yet to prove themselves as a capable developer with any sort of consistency. Oh, but Wally! They made Borderlands! They sure did. They also "finished' Duke Nukem Forever, and created and buried and revived the shambling corpse of Brothers in Arms.

I totally agree with that. It's hilarious but not so surprising considering the chaotic and long development behind the game.Every time, I saw Randy Pitchford talking about a Gearbox current project, I'm only hearing a guy who's trying really hard to cover uninteresting stuff by coolness. That being said, like a lot of people, I wish I could be really surprise by Prometheus and I'm kind of hype by all the nostalgia thing, all the discussions, the few projects around. So maybe I'll give it a chance. We'll see after E3.

Honestly, Aliens : Infestation on DS excited me more than any other Alien game. The game design, the art direction, each marines are really cool (and if a marine dies, he or she is dead, permanently), all features and the ''metroidvania'' feel, made this game coherent and awesome.

Walter said:
For the record, Aliens is my favorite movie in the series, but I readily acknowledge that Alien is a better movie.

I'm a big cinevore (is that making sense in english ?) and I have always fun watching Aliens delivering one hell of a punch but in term of cinematography, I found Alien really elegant, subtle, solid and it stands far above many others, remaining truly atmospheric, strangely sensual. That's a good thing I've low expectations for Prometheus.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I love Aliens but Alien is my favorite. I really like the Directors Cut even more too. A perfect movie actually, whether for sci-fi or horror. But it's still got that slow pacing and atmosphere that I love so much.

Btw I saw the Avengers the other night and got to watch the trailer for Prometheus in 3D. It looked fantastic! Not just saying that either. It really looked good. The 3d just popped for all the right reasons.

Walter said:
The thing with Aliens games, much like Aliens sequels--they don't live up to expectations.

Well, as much as I hate to admit it, you're 100% in this situation. Looking back on the boards a year or two back, I was ultra pumped for the AvP game to come out. It did. It sucked.

Aazealh said:
I think it's both stupid and pretentious. I don't hold Gearbox Software's storytelling in high esteem, nor do I believe that bending backwards to produce a story that makes sense of Alien 3's intro has a lot of merit.

There are Aliens
on the Sulaco
in Colonial Marines.
Full grown Aliens in tubes
. Copy and pasted from this, more or less: http://img.newkadia.com/Covers/L/A/Aliens%201989%20series/aliens1989series2.jpg

How that's going to fit in and NOT be fucking stupid is beyond me.

I know I've taken heat for defending Alien 3...
Walter said:
Around the halfway mark, I was really enjoying myself and the slowed-down pacing of the movie. It gave Ripley and all the other actors some breathing room. A chance to act and have some actual character development.
...That's basically why I think it's not a piece of dog shit. Whatever.

Colonial Marines though...I won't even waste my time trying to defend what is most likely going to end up being fucking awful.

Ryouma said:
Every time, I saw Randy Pitchford talking about a Gearbox current project, I'm only hearing a guy who's trying really hard to cover uninteresting stuff by coolness.

Agreed, Randy Pitchford is really really fucking annoying: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZHA58-_2Eg
Countless stupid one liners from him. :schierke:

Del Toro recently made a few posts on his board about At The Mountains Of Madness which are tied to Prometheus -

Not sure if it's spoiler-worthy after some of you have already watched the trailers but -

http://www.deltorofilms.com/wp/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=454

I have been interviewed about this lately and wanted to post my two cents about this:

Prometheus started filming a while ago- right at the time we were in preproduction on PACIFIC RIM. The title itself gave me pause- knowing that ALIEN was heavily influenced by Lovecraft and his novella.

This time, decades later with the budget and place Ridley Scott occupied, I assumed the greek metaphor alluded at the creation aspects of the HPL book. I believe I am right and if so, as a fan, I am delighted to see a new RS science fiction film, but this will probably mark a long pause -if not the demise- of ATMOM.

The sad part is- I have been pursuing ATMOM for over a decade now- and, well, fter Hellboy II two projects I dearly loved were not brought to fruition for me.

The good part is: One project did... And I am loving it and grateful for the blessings I have received.

Onwards.

G

And he goes on to say -

Same premise. Scenes that would be almost identical.

G

There's a fake ticket scan showing an R rating that's being circulating online.

Update: Steve here. 20th Century Fox has confirmed Prometheus will be rated R for “sci-fi violence including some intense images, and brief language.” Our original story after the jump.

It's official ^^

H

hellrasinbrasin

Griffith said:
Thank God we have that settled. :schierke:

Now we can move onto more important topics.

"Should Prometheus be viewed in 3D or not?"

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
hellrasinbrasin said:

I've only ever had one good 3D viewing experience--Avatar. And it still felt superficial. I'll be seeing this in 2D.

I'm hoping Lincoln Center has it at their IMAX screen but the theater doesn't show up any Prometheus shows :puck:. Yeah, IMAX 3D for me and if it's good, I'll check out the movie at a regular screen.

H

hellrasinbrasin

Walter said:
I've only ever had one good 3D viewing experience -- Avatar. And it still felt superficial. I'll be seeing this in 2D.

This is true I saw Avatar in 3D as well. My view is if it was filmed in 3D visually it won't look as bad
as a film that was converted from 2d to 3D. I think I'll see Prometheus in both formats for comparison.

IMAX screen options in NYC come with 3D unfortunately. I don't care much for 3D (it was fun for Piranha 3D or Tron).

Viral info perhaps - there's talk that the PG-13 version is 10 or 20 mins longer.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
hellrasinbrasin said:

:guts:

I'm in the 2D camp. Unless the movie was specifically designed for 3D like Avatar, it's more a downgrade than a feature in my eyes (literally).

H

hellrasinbrasin

new_prometheusmovieposter_india.jpg

Walter said:
I've only ever had one good 3D viewing experience--Avatar.

You should have seen Hugo which is in my opinion, the best and surprisingly great 3D experience so far. But I'll also see Prom in a regular format.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Wasn't Prometheus shot specifically for 3d and not converted after? I think if you guys saw the trailer in 3d you would want to watch the whole that way unless its a principle thing.

Top Bottom