Dark Souls

My tactic is to keep a rock pillar between us. Keep circling around it and when he goes for the grab and misses, go in for one heavy strike, raise shield and back off. Rinse, repeat.
I only tried during my lunch hour. Fool's going down tonight.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I tried a few tactics against him and what I posted is BY FAR the fastest, easiest way to get him. We're talking ~30 seconds if you have a good weapon.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
Wow. Like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5b6cQjqpEk

God, the way I killed him took 10 minutes or more. Oy.

Yeah, like that. I'm more a fan of blocking in the game in general (found a Black Knight shield on the one at the top of the tower just after the bridge guarded by the drake in Undead Parish and kept it the whole game), but in some cases (Gwyn being by far the most obvious one) parrying works better.

Infinte

They see me rollin', they hatin'.
There is apparently a petition for getting Dark Souls on PC after a response from an admin on the Namco Bandai forum.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/06/the-quest-for-dark-souls-on-pc/

There's that and there are also rumblings about possible DLC coming within the next three months. :daiba:

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/121/1216273p1.html

I'll probably buy it. As in, I have faith that this DLC will be good enough to be worth whatever it will cost.
The game already has a pretty dark forest, so I'm curious about this new one (assuming it will add some new areas and not just expand darkwood).

New weapons and enemies are most likely a given. I hope they added a feature to play with specific people. I'll eve take restrictions that you have to be x-amount of levels apart. Now that won't happen sadly. :judo:

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
I finished the game. I put in about 67 hours in it, from dying constantly at first and many attempts. I only had troulbe with Sif the most as a bosses fights go. I didn't even create any unique weapons, killed most of the none playable characters, and just ended up with Gavel's armor and a dark knight great axe as my main weapon. I might give it another shot with another class.

Oburi

All praise Grail
FINALLY managed to get back into this game. Just too many games came out at the end of the year I had to take a break. Unfortunately I didn't get that far however fortunately, I was able to pick it up again pretty quick. Just rang the second bell and killed Ceaseless Discharge or whatever it's called. I believe I'm suppose to go to Sen's fortress now is that right?

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Oburi said:
FINALLY managed to get back into this game. Just too many games came out at the end of the year I had to take a break. Unfortunately I didn't get that far however fortunately, I was able to pick it up again pretty quick. Just rang the second bell and killed Ceaseless Discharge or whatever it's called. I believe I'm suppose to go to Sen's fortress now is that right?

Yup, on your way to Anor londo

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Finally picked the game up and started getting through it some more as well. Just finished Sen's today. I wish more of you guys were on PSN, we could do some jolly cooperation! Branded, what levels were your characters again?

Any recent news on the rumored DLC? I picked up the game again to once again try and beat Ornstein and Smough on NG+. I just can't do it solo. I've tried and tried. Help?

I've played a slew of other games since having finished Darks Souls a first time and playing 1/4 of it on NG+. This game really is quality. I tried playing Skyrim, I really did. I won't lie, I fucking hate that game. Hate it so, so much. It may only be because of having been exposed to Demon's and Dark Souls back to back, but Skyrim just cannot compare IMO. Souls is tight and polished and plays smooth when you know wtf to do. Skyrim? Just...no. I was so insanely bored over the weekend, saw the Skyrim box and decided to clean the cat litter. True story.

SlimeBeherit

[FIGHT][SPELL] [SACRIFICE][ITEM]
Proj2501 said:
Any recent news on the rumored DLC? I picked up the game again to once again try and beat Ornstein and Smough on NG+. I just can't do it solo. I've tried and tried. Help?

Which of the 2 are you trying to take out first? I find taking out Ornstein first the easier route to take

Slime_Beherit said:
Which of the 2 are you trying to take out first? I find taking out Ornstein first the easier route to take

I took out the fat one first to get the other guy's armor during my first run. Now, I want the fat guys armor. :)

SlimeBeherit

[FIGHT][SPELL] [SACRIFICE][ITEM]
Proj2501 said:
I took out the fat one first to get the other guy's armor during my first run. Now, I want the fat guys armor. :)

So then it should be easier the second time around. The issue is landing a hit and that swift little bugger. During my first play through I took him down with a +1 lightning spear (I dunno why I didn't upgrade it) , it was a slow and go processes. But because you can attack with a spear and maintain you shield up, (I used the heavy wooden shield to help against the lightning attacks) then it was a very safe strategy.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I have a question about the Ornstein and Smough fight. If I summon someone before the fight do we have to clear out that room before going into the boss area? Because I summoned Solair and traversed the fog since i didn't feel like fighting all those knights and he didn't come through with me. If I summoned a player would this happen as well, do we need clear the room first? I've already wasted a few precious humanities on this bullcrap.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Aazealh said:
Never summoned anyone to help me so I don't really know. Sorry!

Yea that's partly why I'm so confused because I haven't summoned anyone yet. I've managed to get this far by meself but these two bosses are so hard. I'm not sure if the lighting spear is the best weapon to use either but I'm nervous about upgrading because I don't want to waste anything. Anyone have any tips on what would be a decent route to go with upgrading? I've a got a lot of materials plus a few boss souls. I'm mainly using a shield and lightning spear with stone armour and with Havel's ring I can keep my weight around 40% so i dodge pretty good. I think I just need to upgrade for a decent weapon but like I said, I don't want to waste anything.

Btw Aaz, if you don't use humanity for summoning do you mainly just use it to kindle bonfires? That's really all their good for right? I've been saving mine for the more difficult parts and until this point I haven't needed to kindle any bonfires or summon.

Oburi said:
Yea that's partly why I'm so confused because I haven't summoned anyone yet. I've managed to get this far by meself but these two bosses are so hard. I'm not sure if the lighting spear is the best weapon to use either but I'm nervous about upgrading because I don't want to waste anything. Anyone have any tips on what would be a decent route to go with upgrading? I've a got a lot of materials plus a few boss souls. I'm mainly using a shield and lightning spear with stone armour and with Havel's ring I can keep my weight around 40% so i dodge pretty good. I think I just need to upgrade for a decent weapon but like I said, I don't want to waste anything.
Just to answer your previous question: you don't need to clear out the room before fighting Ornstein and Smough; you and your partners can rush past the giants. Sounds like you're having bad luck with Solaire, though; I was able to routinely get him involved in the fight without killing the giants, even if he would have a slight delay getting past the fog. :???:

Concerning the weapons you should use for this fight, it should be noted that while Smough (the big guy) is weak against lightning, Ornstein (the smaller guy) is resistant to it. If you want to use a lightning weapon, you'll also want to have something else on hand for dealing with Ornstein. He does have a weakness towards fire though; you can get a fire weapon at this point by forging Quelaag's Furysword at the Giant Blacksmith in Anor Londo (it requires combining Quelaag's Soul with any curved sword upgraded to +10). I wouldn't get too bent out of shape over which upgrade path to go; it's a good idea to have a decent variety of weapons in stock, and you can renew most forging supplies in the game in some way. And if it's any assurance, lightning weapons can get you pretty far throughout most of Dark Souls.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Oburi said:
if you don't use humanity for summoning do you mainly just use it to kindle bonfires? That's really all their good for right? I've been saving mine for the more difficult parts and until this point I haven't needed to kindle any bonfires or summon.

Humanities also help you heal if you need to, in case your flask is empty.

What I did for that fight was just to take all my armor and dodge all their attacks. I took Ornstein out first since he was faster. I used the Drake sword. After this, there aren't many bonfire's you need to kindle, but even now in my second game, the enemies drop more humanities than when I first played it. I guess it has to do with that update they did.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Thanks guys! I was going to make Qualaags furysword but I can't believe I actually don't have any curved swords. I don't know how but oh well. I'll try again tonight.

Top Bottom