The Hobbit (Movie)

Oburi

All praise Grail
hobbitmovies.jpg

Figured there should be a thread for it since I'll be wanting to discuss it for the next year until it's release.

First thing - The first teaser trailer should be released soon, around Christmas, most likely before Steven Spielberg's The Adventures of TinTin which is out on the 21st of December.

Also, Elijah Wood is returning for the role of Frodo. Now at first I was a little pissed. Like of course they had to bring him back somehow ... typical. BUT, I've since changed my opinion. It doesn't bother me because I'm actually interested in the way they plan to incorporate him and tie the the two series together. I believe The Hobbit will open with Frodo reading "There and Back Again", the book written by Bilbo Baggins that was shown in the LOTR movies, and that's how Bilbo's story will start. Elijah has already said that he has finished shooting his scenes and they were very brief so I'm sure it'll be a very quick scene, probably in the one location.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Oburi said:
Also, Elijah Wood is returning for the role of Frodo. Now at first I was a little pissed. Like of course they had to bring him back somehow ... typical. BUT, I've since changed my opinion. It doesn't bother me because I'm actually interested in the way they plan to incorporate him and tie the the two series together.

meindoctrinated.jpg

:slan:

I'm less forgiving of their pandering nostalgia trips and other such useless alterations, unless they go back and film Tom Bombadil's scenes to be put back in the film trilogy! :mozgus:

Bombadil.jpg

"Hey dol! Merry troll! Ring a dong dildo!
Ring a dong! Hop right on, Peter Jackal!
From bom Tom, jolly Tom, Tom Bombadillo!"​

Oburi

All praise Grail
Ok maybe I'm not interested per say, but I actually don't mind it. I like playing with the idea that the movie could open with Frodo looking through Bilbo's items and then opening the book that Bilbo was shown writing in LOTR and having the story be told that way. At least it would help sort out the fact that the Hobbit is being split into two films. I still prefer it the other way, but it is what it is and I can't say I hate the idea that much. It certainly doesn't ruin it for me (of course being such a sucker for the extended cuts I can't get too upset if they want to shoot so much footage that they need two films to cover the Hobbit). One concern I have about turning The Hobbit into such a large, grand scale two part film is that it might diminish the scope if the main trilogy. After all, The Hobbit is a childrens book.

Anyway, the main trilogy did spend some time focusing on the relationship between Bilbo and Frodo and included the fictional "book within a book" written by Bilbo and Frodo, and eventually given to Sam. It's safe to assume that Frodo and young Bilbo will be main connection between the new movies and the old trilogy. This also would fix the problem of those early shots in Fellowship that show parts of The Hobbit featuring Ian Holm. So all in all, it doesn't bother me. What does bother me is including Cate Blanchett as Galadriel. I feel like they try to hard to put her everywhere she dosn't belong. She already had far too many scenes in LOTR (as well as narrating the damn thing! Should have been Gandalf).

What do guys think about the images released so far?
martinfreemanhobbit610.jpg

hobbitianmckellan610.jpg

They are also writing in Legolas' character. It's been a while but I don't recall him being in the book. So far the production shots look good to me, still gives me the Tolkien-LOTR-Jackson feel. Also check out the production diaries. The latest one below has some pretty neat stuff in it, including some really expensive cameras...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e-3i1ploR4

I think as of right now this is probably my most anticipated movie..

Oburi

All praise Grail
We talked about the Legolas thing in another thread. He's not in the Hobbit book no but that's not a change that bothers me. I honestly feel that had the Legolas character been created when The Hobbit was written he would have been included. When he's introduced in the TLOTR as the prince of Mirkwood and his father the king that Bilbo encountered, its obvious that Tolkien was giving Legolas some background that readers could be familiar with. So him appearing in the Hobbit isn't a crazy concept. What does worry me is what Legolas will actually do in the movie. Anything more than a short cameo would be worrying.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
We talked about the Legolas thing in another thread. He's not in the Hobbit book no but that's not a change that bothers me. I honestly feel that had the Legolas character been created when The Hobbit was written he would have been included.

Griffith said:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Johnstantine said:
Hopefully this makes up for the Lovely Bones.

Eh, probably wont. But really, did you think that movie had any chance at all? The book was shit.

About the Legolas thing. I'm not nearly as worried about him as I am about Galadriel being written back in or Arwen or something. I mean The Hobbit has no love story (not even one you can exaggerate), but I'm sure to get that female audience they will try to put some female characters in this. I wish they wouldn't though, no offense to the ladies.

"A 15-minute satellite feed of the trailer for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey will stream at 10 p.m. ET/PT and again on Wednesday 9 a.m. ET/PT."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/entertainment/post/2011/12/hobbit-trailer-to-premiere-dec-20/1

Not sure where its streaming though..

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
frankencowx said:
"A 15-minute satellite feed of the trailer for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey will stream at 10 p.m. ET/PT and again on Wednesday 9 a.m. ET/PT."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/entertainment/post/2011/12/hobbit-trailer-to-premiere-dec-20/1

Not sure where its streaming though..
Does that translate to 13 minutes of bullshit preamble, and then 2 minutes of trailer?

Walter said:
Does that translate to 13 minutes of bullshit preamble, and then 2 minutes of trailer?

More than likely. I can't imagine a 15 minute long trailer.. more than likely some more making of/cast featurettes, spliced with footage.. who knows?

Griffith

renegade.gif

Yep, it's amazing how they've managed to make this movie look dated by 10 years! It's like going back in time: Welcome to 2003, a year in cinema so bad one of these emotionless paint-by-numbers epics was actually given Best Picture instead of the usual Oscar bait. In Hollywood, that's a triumph! :troll:

Renegading aside, when it looks like what you'd expect, and you've seen 14 hours of it already, it's actually quite unamazing; more "appropriate" or "perfunctory." Though, I don't know if it's necessarily appropriate for the tone of The Hobbit. Then again, maybe it is in a weird way by virtue of feeling nostalgic at this point. In any case, it's nice how well they've replicated the look and feel of the other films for continuity. If nothing else, Peter Jackson's always made a yeoman's effort at consistency with his adaptation of LOTR, even if it means little difference between the highs and lows.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
I had always thought the 'h' in Thorin was silent. That's the only thing I really took away after watching the trailer twice.

Griffith said:
renegade.gif

Renegading aside, when it looks like what you'd expect, and you've seen 14 hours of it already, it's actually quite unamazing; more "appropriate" or "perfunctory."

Agreed, it lacks the wow factor that I had from seeing the first real fellowship trailer. I don't think the consistency is necessarily a bad thing however. Also from what I heard of the score it sounded decent. Which is/was your favorite of the LOTR movies??

Oburi

All praise Grail
It didn't wow me at first but the more I watch it the better it gets. After watching it for the third time I truly think it looks great and I'm extremely excited. I love how dwarves are singing, I hope they do the full song in the movie.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
I suppose I should thank you Griffith, after LOTR I couldn't stop thinking about what you said, about Peter Jackon manipulating me, about indoctrination. The doubts began to eat away at me... Peter sensed my hesitation... I was implanted to strengthen my resolve; now my doubts are gone, I believe in The Hobbit completely.

Trailer aside, I wish they made these movies before the LOTR ones. I'll go watch it no doubt but I feel like it's like the Star Wars prequels in terms of 'we know what's going to happen and we've seen the end, let's start at the beginning now'.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
If Hollywood made movies according to this forum's standards, then there would be like two movies released once a decade.

Instead you can look forward to Jack & Jill 2, coming to you just in time for Christmas 2012.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Oburi said:
I suppose I should thank you Griffith, after LOTR I couldn't stop thinking about what you said, about Peter Jackon manipulating me, about indoctrination. The doubts began to eat away at me... Peter sensed my hesitation... I was implanted to strengthen my resolve; now my doubts are gone, I believe in The Hobbit completely.

:ganishka:

When I first saw this I so hoped Oburi actually wrote it.

IncantatioN said:
Trailer aside, I wish they made these movies before the LOTR ones. I'll go watch it no doubt but I feel like it's like the Star Wars prequels in terms of 'we know what's going to happen and we've seen the end, let's start at the beginning now'.

Whoa, I wouldn't go that far! At least we know these movies have an actual story behind them and a director that cares.

NightCrawler said:
Simple, this movie needed another director.

Guillermo-del-Toro-with-a-001.jpg

Johnstantine said:
If Hollywood made movies according to this forum's standards, then there would be like two movies released once a decade.

More like two a year. That's about how many movies I actually go see. :troll:

Top Bottom