Your most hated words

Gummyskull said:
some of the worst are:
"Feels"
"headcanon"
"B L E S S"
"300% done"

Walter said:
And I haven't heard of any from that last batch of words... Makes me feel old.

Haha me too :ganishka: Seriously in what contecxt are they even used? Or are they used alone just like that? :???: I feel even more silly asking...

Tama said:
Thank you for mentioning 'feels', I don't know why but it really annoys me. I don't follow that many Internet trends but when did saying feels become popular? Is this a new thing?
As Aaz said, it's a word that been around for a few years. It really annoys me too.

Walter said:
And I haven't heard of any from that last batch of words... Makes me feel old.
Consider yourself lucky. :iva:

Hanma_Baki said:
Seriously in what contecxt are they even used? Or are they used alone just like that? :???: I feel even more silly asking...

Allow me to educate you using examples:

-Feels are a wave of intense emotions that you can't explain. "I can't handle the all the heavy feels movie 3 gave me!"
- Adding spaces in between letters is done to emphasize them, B L E S S is just one example. Used on tumblr a lot.
"The sex scene between Charlotte and Griffith. B L E S S".
-Headcanon is an idea, belief ,or aspect of the story or a character that is not mentioned in canon, but accepted by an individual or the fandom as a whole. "My headcanon is that Casca is of Kushan descent.".
-300% done is just an exaggerated way to say that you are fed up or finished with something. "JUST FINISHED THE DESCENT AND I AM 300% done WITH GRIFFITH.".

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle!

Walter said:
In journalism, swag is a real word. How's it being used these days...?
Swag= She Wants a Gentleman
Yolo= You only live once
I reall hate these words, particullary because many students of my school are using these words
i mean the meaning is just pure Shit

Oburi

All praise Grail
I'll use swag once in a while to describe what someone is wearing. The other day I commented on someone wearing Boston Bruins swag. Idk if I suck or not :judo:

'Epic' is a real world too. I guess I really, really HATE how 'swag' is used these days. Someone asked me if I wanted to "swag out my phone" and I wanted to start throwing punches.

I'm getting' old.

This is really a fun topic, so I couldn't resist to join..

- IMO, imo, IMHO, imho; as in "In My (Humble) (Honest) Opinion".

This one is simple, mundane, trivial but it gets really on my nerves. When it's used in replies or posts it just makes my blood curdle. In interviews with politicians or whomever, they ask for OPINIONS on every little thing as if it would matter any.

- audiophile, cinephile

Hahaha, really?

- Superstar, diva, talent, pioneer

Again, misusing the misused.

- Elite

This one talks for itself

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Tama said:
Thank you for mentioning 'feels', I don't know why but it really annoys me. I don't follow that many Internet trends but when did saying feels become popular? Is this a new thing?

It's kinda funny because "feels" started out as basically 'That feel when" thing from 4chan with a kinda blank-faced guy that just looks like he's contemplating reality or something. It was usually used in a way where you'd be overly depressed over something and usually used from the perspective of a typical ultra-virgin/betamale/whatever. Mostly used jokingly. Somehow over time it became a sort of spastic way of screaming about the latest Dr. Who or Sherlock plot twist by tumblr.

Also, I just fucking hate tumblr. I hate the way the word "fandom" is used these days. Mostly by people who probably think fanworks and "expressing your feels" means more than the actual original work that the "fandom" is for. So I guess that encompasses pretty much all the words you posted there Gummy.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
When people call untranslated manga "spoilers." Calling them RAWs just might be worse, though.

S

Saintly pants

The word "Feels" I tend to encounter when discussing things like "Madoka Magica". It doesn't bother me because I think it means " A bunch contradicting feelings both warm and cold."

If "Fandom" stands for the type of fan that calculated the exact date George Lucas should have died to save Star Wars from being "ruined", then I hate it with every fiber of my being. Same thing for those who call Miura "lazy". Seriously?

Something that really irritates lately me is "Rape culture". A term that absolutely dominates Gawker the last two years. It pops up in just about every piece posted. It gives me this depressing mental image of a conspiracy of fratty, high-fiving, privileged white "Dudebro's" (another word I loathe) and suit wearing corporate meatballs discussing how to take control of all female reproductive organs on the planet. Pervs are not that well organized. Or numerous. I don't know in what terrible neighborhood the people who invented the term live, but they probably need to find a nicer place instead of just declaring everyone with a Y chromosome guilty by default.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Saintly pants said:
Something that really irritates lately me is "Rape culture". A term that absolutely dominates Gawker the last two years. It pops up in just about every piece posted. It gives me this depressing mental image of a conspiracy of fratty, high-fiving, privileged white "Dudebro's" (another word I loathe) and suit wearing corporate meatballs discussing how to take control of all female reproductive organs on the planet. Pervs are not that well organized. Or numerous. I don't know in what terrible neighborhood the people who invented the term live, but they probably need to find a nicer place instead of just declaring everyone with a Y chromosome guilty by default.

I don't think you fully understand the phrase then if that's how you interpret it. I do agree with you on how some extremists demonize men collectively, and to that end, I really hate being associated with rapists, and now most recently with the Santa Barbara murderer, just because I'm a man.

Deci

Saintly pants said:

I'm with you on "rape culture". I've argued that it does some of the damage it supposedly is trying to stop too. Really an awful combination of words.

TerrorA

I am the Knight
The N-word.

"Edge" or "Edgy" since you can't dislike anything without being called that.

"Deconstruction" since it seems to be slapped on any dark work, especially if it's bad

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Saintly pants said:

I think you're confusing man-hating with understanding the idea that we live in a society that normalizes and excuses violence against women. The danger isn't the "Council of Omnipotent Dudebro Meatball Businessmen" that you're describing, and I think imagery like that distracts from the real life issue. A good example of this concept was brought up in a recent podcast - Aaz mentioned that he doesn't have any fear of taking the subway alone, while his female friends need to be wary of harassment from random men. That's what rape culture is all about. That said, I think it's an important phrase, and I'm sorry that you seem to hate it.

I'm glad that you've brought this up, by the way - we're going to have a new thread discussing this issue very soon. :carcus:

Here is a good article written from a male perspective that explains rape culture. It's not an easy concept to accept, but it is important to understand. Although the word has been popping up more often on the internet, it originated within feminist circles in the 1970's.

Grail said:
I'm glad that you've brought this up, by the way - we're going to have a new thread discussing this issue very soon. :carcus:

I'm looking forward to the upcoming discussions. :void:

Saintly pants said:
If "Fandom" stands for the type of fan that calculated the exact date George Lucas should have died to save Star Wars from being "ruined", then I hate it with every fiber of my being. Same thing for those who call Miura "lazy". Seriously?

Well, fandom is simply a shortened version of "fan domain" and it's usage has been recoded back as far as 1903. It just describes the network of fans of a particular subject. Not really something to get too upset about. There are bad fans and good fans of everything.

Deci

I understand what people are trying to say when they talk about rape culture, I just whole-heartedly disagree with the use of the term. Surely there has to be a better term to use than that for that subway scenario given. Objectifying? Dehumanization? Sexual predatory? Rape culture just sounds ridiculous and like I said, believe its a damaging word to use.

I'm very fascinated by language, I think that most of the world's arguments could be concluded if people chose the correct language to use, and presented it in just the correct way, in any given circumstance. It's very interesting. I believe that most of the world actually know most truths, and perhaps even agree on some fundamental level, of the world. They just have totally different means interpreting and prioritizing them.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Well, purportedly as many as 1 in 3 American women will be sexually assaulted in their lifetimes, and in most cases there's little to no recourse for victims or consequences for offenders. So, I think think the ugliness of the phrase "rape culture" is warranted and necessary to hold a mirror up to a society that in many ways still tacitly condones or normalizes the oppression and rape of women. Of course it can be misapplied, but I think male annoyance at that is a little less concerning objectively.

On that note, I don't remember if I already mentioned it on that same podcast Grail referenced, but I thought it was interesting how after that botched sex/rape scene on Game of Thrones this year the same progressive minded people that defend anything depicted in the arts to death when it comes to censorship in regards to violence were all over that like GoT should be responsible for educating people about modern standards of consent. I got the point about the potential negatives of that and similar instances throughout all media (ala rape culture), but at times it was almost conflated to an actual rape being perpetrated by the producers as opposed to poor direction of an already disturbing scene. I just thought it was funny that progressive liberals were suddenly acting like "think of children" conservatives when it comes to violence, albeit sexual, in the media. It all depends on your issue, I guess. I also wonder if we aren't all in denial about the effects of violence in movies, games, etc because like gun nuts we just don't really care to give it up in any case. I'm not saying there's any proof of causation, but even if there was, how many of us would just dismiss it out of hand on principle? I know I do. =)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gummyskull said:
Here is a good article written from a male perspective that explains rape culture. It's not an easy concept to accept, but it is important to understand. Although the word has been popping up more often on the internet, it originated within feminist circles in the 1970's.

Honestly I think that's a pretty bad article in that it misses the point of what it's trying to convey. I can't say whether that applies to the entire concept or not, because I'm not really interested in it, but in and of itself the article is patronizing and sexist. Essentially it paints a broad picture saying all women feel vulnerable all the time because of men, while all men are strong and bold and fearless in any and every situation. Well I'm sorry to say but that's a huge stereotype built upon a generalization and not only is it not true, but it misrepresents the mechanisms at work in these situations.

Because as a matter of fact, being alone at night in a badly lit parking lot with some guy(s) behind you isn't a situation in which most people feel perfectly safe. With his posturing, the author fails to realize that fear is a defense mechanism for humans that allows us to recognize when a situation is potentially dangerous. There's a part of irrationality in it, but it's normal for a woman to feel vulnerable when walking alone at night in a dark place. Why? Because the world at large is dangerous, and it's been since the dawn of times. And as a matter of fact, while I myself am not particularly prone to fear, I am wary when I come across shady people in shady places. That's essentially a self-preservation instinct, ingrained in our genes, and not having it is a defect.

Now, the truth of the matter is that what's at play here isn't any different from how it was 100, 500, 1000 years ago. It's people in a position of power preying upon the weak. That means a large man preying on a frail woman as much as a group of thugs mugging some guy, or a young delinquent harassing an old person, or some kids making fun of a guy in a wheelchair, and so on. It's always existed, and sadly our society hasn't progressed enough that it's become inexistent. Merging this fact with the general situation regarding sexual assault is a mistake that I think can only result in confusion and frustration, and the solution proposed by the guy is hilariously bad. I have a lot of experience with public transportation, and let me tell you that going out of your way to try and "make yourself seem unthreatening to the woman" or "warn of your presence" would only result in making you seem weird. Minding your own business and displaying standard politeness is fine and it actually does wonders in all situations.

Anyway, the guy actually quotes a "73% of rape victims know their attacker" while speaking about this "alone at night" scenario, and he doesn't realize that he's missing the point. What this statistic means is that rape at the hands of strangers isn't the standard scenario. It's not what we should focus on. So while making all people (including men) feel safe everywhere and at all times is a laudable goal, and the author's advice of "don't turn your eye when a woman's being assaulted!" (but if it's a man, you know, it's cool) is well-intentioned, it's misguided. I don't have the answer to ending rape, but I can tell you that it's not contained in that article.

Gummyskull said:
Well, fandom is simply a shortened version of "fan domain" and it's usage has been recoded back as far as 1903.

I'm pretty sure it's just the suffix "-dom" (as in freedom, boredom, martyrdom, etc.) and not a contraction of "domain".

Deci said:
I think that most of the world's arguments could be concluded if people chose the correct language to use, and presented it in just the correct way, in any given circumstance.

That seems pretty naive to me. I don't think most conflicts are just born from a lack of understanding.

Griffith said:
I also wonder if we aren't all in denial about the effects of violence in movies, games, etc because like gun nuts we just don't really care to give it up in any case. I'm not saying there's any proof of causation, but even if there was, how many of us would just dismiss it out of hand on principle? I know I do. =)

Actually I've come to the conclusion some years ago that violent movies/TV series/comic books/video games probably do incite violence in people, or at least familiarizes and desensitizes them enough to it that it feels like a valid, normal option in real life. That's based on my understanding of my own psyche. :iva:

Top Bottom