Before Watchmen

I just saw this , there is another thread about the Watchmen movie but unfortunately it is locked so i just thought i start a new one.

This summer, DC Entertainment will publish all-new stories expanding on the acclaimed WATCHMEN universe. As highly anticipated as they are controversial, the seven inter-connected prequel mini-series will build on the foundation of the original WATCHMEN, the bestselling graphic novel of all time. BEFORE WATCHMEN will be the collective banner for all seven titles, from DC Comics.
Source : http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2012/02/01/dc-entertainment-officially-announces-%E2%80%9Cbefore-watchmen%E2%80%9D/

How does everyone feel about this ? I loved the original Comic from Alan Moore, i don't want to see any sequels.

Indeed, "Watchmen" writer Alan Moore has already spoken out against the existence of "Before Watchmen," telling the New York Times that it's "completely shameless." Artist Dave Gibbons' stance, meanwhile, is considerably warmer: "I appreciate DC's reasons for this initiative and the wish of the artists and writers involved to pay tribute to our work. May these new additions have the success they desire."
Source : http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1678307/before-watchmen.jhtml

Walter said:
I'm with Moore on this.
I'm probably going to have a look at them. Are you going to read the Comics Walter ?
Here are the rest of the Covers. http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2012/02/a-first-look-at-six-before-watchmen-covers/

H

hellrasinbrasin

I agree with everyone here on the issue of needless tie-in stories. That's not to say that the
writing won't be good by the writers DC picked.

<Here's what I would have liked to have seen happen.>

01.Have it set in 2001
02.New Generation of vigilanties called "The Nighters" with their own personal issues with each other & themselves
03.Current Social/Political issues from a Domestic viewpoint & Global
04.A 911 like Conspiracy
05.The only connection to the 1st Watchmen is Rorschach's Journal which has become a manifesto
for these new vigilanties.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
H

hellrasinbrasin

Griffith said:
I appreciate that there's not even an attempt at telling a vital or even coherent story with any sort of vision since almost every book has a different writer and artist. It's not even like an organically formed expanded universe either, but one created over night to cash-in while they still can. Just pathetic.

Milk the cow milk the cow. That's all that DC is doing with Watchmen.

Griffith said:
I appreciate that there's not even an attempt at telling a vital or even coherent story with any sort of vision since almost every book has a different writer and artist. It's not even like an organically formed expanded universe either, but one created over night to cash-in while they still can. Just pathetic.
You are right Griffith, i didn't think of it like that so i was trying to convince my self that it could turn out fine.

Aazealh said:
:ganishka:

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
I don't mind the teams, but the idea is stupid and shameless.

By now I imagine Moore is generally used to getting fucked by DC (they're milking anything with his name on it), so I seriously doubt he was/is surprised by this. Gibbons is like the supportive mother, while Moore is the father who will never give you his approval.

H

hellrasinbrasin

Given the fact that the characters history before and after the Keen Act has all ready been covered in Watchmen. I don't see the need to buy 30 comics by 2 different authors saying the same thing that was all ready covered by the original author.

:ubik:

Griffith

Moore more:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=36724 said:
"I tend to take this latest development as a kind of eager confirmation that they are still apparently dependent on ideas that I had 25 years ago" and added that the series is a reminder of "draconian contracts" he signed in the 1980s with the publisher. Moore will not take any action as a result of "Before Watchmen." "I don’t want money. What I want is for this not to happen,” he said. "As far as I know, there weren’t that many prequels or sequels to ‘Moby-Dick.’ ”

Glad it hasn't hurt his ego. :ganishka:

Also, it's worth noting that Gibbons' comments come from the official press release, so take it for what it's worth.

I do like the Watchmen comic alot, I feel that a prequel series feels ultimately unnecessary. Since when it comes to characters of the series I'm really not all that interested in there back-stories and quite frankly I don't see what these prequels will tell us that is interesting and new that Watchmen already told us. So I'm skipping this.

Griffith

Yeah, at least there's not a bunch of apologists in here hyping this like it's God's gift to Watchmen. :griffnotevil:

Top Bottom