Skullknight.NET Podcast: Episode 10

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Episode 10: http://skullknight.net/podcast/Podcast10.mp3

Artists Grail and Lithrael join Gobs, Griff and I for a talk on Berserk fanart, and Berserk art in general. We also discuss the news that Viz has licensed the Berserk movie trilogy, and what that means for US fans. All this plus slutty brownies and exploring the shelf life of McDonald's French fries.

A few things we discuss along the way you may want to follow along with:

Guts 100-Man Slayer custom sculpture: http://www.berserkstatues.com/kits/other/completed/guts100man/finals/right.jpg
Berserk Armor Helmet: http://www.berserkstatues.com/helmets/gutsberserker/P1050693_800.jpg
Lith's Photoshop Tutorial: http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=11676.0
McDonald's Food Doesn't Spoil: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sallydavies/5059592657/

Podcast Notes:
00:01:34 - Introduction, Slutty Brownies
00:08:36 - Berserk News
00:16:30 - Berserk Fanart
01:00:11 - Video Games
01:11:54 - Outtakes

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Still listening at the moment, and I'm loving it. I feel so much like I want to butt in and joke around with you guys while listening sometimes...

We really do have to do a meetup if it's in SF, I know I'll be there, I guess I can be the guide for where to eat, what to check out, and how to get food into the theater. :troll: At the very least I hope to see Grail and Gobs at Fanime at the end of May, maybe we can do a Bluray watch or something!

Edit: Breaking Bad? Posting some images from the thread back during that under the floorboard moment.

http://imgur.com/a/se2Ws

Jesus, that Walt Jr impression. My fucking sides.

turkitage

ターク
Dar Klink said:
We really do have to do a meetup if it's in SF, I know I'll be there, I guess I can be the guide for where to eat, what to check out, and how to get food into the theater. :troll:

Oooo or a live online podcast/meet up for the rest of us! Name a date/time and skype info (you can make a generic SK one) and a bunch of people call in! I think it's like 25 limit voice calls. Though, it'd just be unorganized and maybe a disaster, but also probably fun!

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Thanks again for having me on the podcast, it was loads of fun. :ubik: Coincidentally, I could really go for some cold, soggy fries right now.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Awesome podcast! The word of the day for me was cheese bukkake :ganishka:. Grail, I would love to hang out one day with you and Gobs. A good treat for me was Lith's sudden appearance. Being MIA for a while I'm glad she's still kicking and well. But overall, this was a nice relaxing podcast.

I'm good with cold food actually, I love cold pizza cos nothing drips or falls off, it all stays on your slice and the flavors melt in your mouth.

Fun podcast, thanks guys! I started listening and now it's almost 1 AM, whoa that was long, in a good way.

Question for Lith - Are you planning on picking up the SK or Femto 1:1 busts? ^_~

It would be awesome to get DK and Maiku on a podcast for AOW statues and history of the kits that are made in the past, etc. Very interested in hearing their views on what they feel has been happening with that side of Berserk merch over the years. Re-paints of old and how they've maybe evolved into implementing that practice more often (sort of like money-making practice)? When I began collecting I was overwhelmed for sure and at the same time, I'm also glad I'm sort of caught up and with 2/3 statues per year on a release schedule, it's much affordable. IF possible, with Aaz on the podcast too since he also follows stuff going on in the statue/ kit world.

Question for Aaz - What statues from AOW, merchandise (like the watch from AOW) and kits do you own? Own the SK 1:1 bust made by James right? Have you done any re-paints as yet?

Such an interesting conversation on Inoue in the Outtakes, if there could be maybe a small section in a podcast where there's a sort of history on him it'll be SO COOL (wishful thinking). I had no idea he was in LA for a bit and that's where he got into Basketball?! Nice! If anyone has watched The Last Exhibition DVD or the book(s), they've seen what he looks like and the process he went through with the art of that presentation/ exhibition.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
IncantatioN said:
Question for Lith - Are you planning on picking up the SK or Femto 1:1 busts? ^_~

Nope! I love the one I've got but those two don't really appeal to me. A 1:1 SK sword would be awesome though.

It was great to be on the podcast! I haven't been posting much but rest assured I swing by the forum pretty often to catch up on everything. Though I skip over all the ME talk in case I ever decide to give the series a playthrough!

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Another great Podcast! Too bad about the 1 week break though. If big Berserk news pops up would you guys reconsider? :daiba:

turkitage

ターク
IncantatioN said:
It would be awesome to get DK and Maiku on a podcast for AOW statues and history of the kits that are made in the past, etc.

As a Berserk Merchandise nut, I mimic this as well. I am really glad they got the Berserk art gurus on this podcast, was a real treat.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Gobz I'm with you on team cold Burrito.
You guys are gross
gutsbarf.gif

Turkitage said:
Oooo or a live online podcast/meet up for the rest of us! Name a date/time and skype info (you can make a generic SK one) and a bunch of people call in! I think it's like 25 limit voice calls. Though, it'd just be unorganized and maybe a disaster, but also probably fun!
That sounds pretty crazy, but yeah. It wouldn't be that complicated. Anyone with a smartphone has access to Skype. But since the crux of the meetup is seeing the movie and then hanging out in person together, I'm not sure those not present would have much to say. Maybe some photos/videos would suffice, instead? I'm sure we'll all have more ideas on the subject of a meetup once we get closer to it becoming a reality.

Grail said:
Thanks again for having me on the podcast, it was loads of fun. :ubik: Coincidentally, I could really go for some cold, soggy fries right now.
Gobolatula said:
I had a great time again, Walter. Thanks for having me on!
Of course guys. Had fun as well. I would have talked for longer, but had to care for my wife, who isn't feeling well.

IncantatioN said:
It would be awesome to get DK and Maiku on a podcast for AOW statues and history of the kits that are made in the past, etc.
Turkitage said:
As a Berserk Merchandise nut, I mimic this as well. I am really glad they got the Berserk art gurus on this podcast, was a real treat.
Merchandise isn't something I'm very passionate about, but maybe I'm the odd man out here. If I can gather some people who are interested in it, then sure. DirectDK, Maiku, whoever else, PM me and we'll discuss details.

Such an interesting conversation on Inoue in the Outtakes, if there could be maybe a small section in a podcast where there's a sort of history on him it'll be SO COOL (wishful thinking). I had no idea he was in LA for a bit and that's where he got into Basketball?! Nice! If anyone has watched The Last Exhibition DVD or the book(s), they've seen what he looks like and the process he went through with the art of that presentation/ exhibition.
I think a Vagabond discussion is inevitable at some point, we just have to get the right crew together and have something interesting to add other than "yep, neat series!"

Truder said:
Another great Podcast! Too bad about the 1 week break though. If big Berserk news pops up would you guys reconsider? :daiba:
Nah, if big Berserk news pops up, scheduling and recording a podcast, then editing and posting it isn't really the quickest or best way to discuss it. Talking about that stuff on the podcast is more about sharing opinions than informing people.

SlimeBeherit

[FIGHT][SPELL] [SACRIFICE][ITEM]
Maybe my second attempt for a meet up in SF will be more successful. There was a 1up DQ meet-up that I missed out on.Funny thing happened though, I was watching TV the very hour I was suppose to leave LA, totally bummed and just trying to forget. When I saw Jeremy Parish (1up's EIC, who was organizing the meet up) on TV, in an iPhone he was testing, as part of a news B-roll. Apparently there had been a Mac event the night prior of the meet up, it was one hell of a coincidence.

I totally agree with Grail about the change of Miura's style, it's really interesting, and I'm always excited to see small changes in the style when a new episode comes out. I love looking at the manga and comparing old and new panels :serpico: (Actually, I only started to read the manga because I heard a lot about the drawing style and I wanted to learn new stuff :ganishka:)

For me it seems that Miura's style is getting simpler, he seem to use thicker lines and less complicated shading technique, but keeping that awesome realistic charater designs... It's just... perfection...

And about the lack of fanarts of less popular characters... I can fill up the space of Silat fanart :ganishka:

I agree about the awesome quality of fan-made stuff, too.

Great podcast as usual :ubik:

Very entertaining podcast and really good Breaking Bad impressions by Gobolatula. :serpico: Unfortunately I had to skip part of the Breaking Bad discussion as I'm still watching season 3 and it seemed like the conversation contained what would be spoilers to me. :judo:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
m said:
Very entertaining podcast and really good Breaking Bad impressions by Gobolatula. :serpico: Unfortunately I had to skip part of the Breaking Bad discussion as I'm still watching season 3 and it seemed like the conversation contained what would be spoilers to me. :judo:
Sorry about that. That happened after I'd left :azan: I need to devise a way to announce spoilers when we mention them. Some kind of disclaimer before the segment saying SPOILERS to Breaking Bad fans, or Walking Dead fans, whatever we may be discussing. Of course, for Berserk, it's kind of a given that there will be constant spoilers :void:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Another great podcast, guys and gals! I hate cold food; if I want to eat leftover pizza, into the microwave it goes!

I, too, would love to hear a podcast with DirectDK and Maiku on it, discussing Berserk merchandise.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
While I'm not a big buyer of Berserk merch myself, I would like to hear some talk about how the big collectors got into it. It would also produce the chance to get my old question answered from the first podcast thread... :carcus:

Grail said:
What's the greatest length you've gone to to secure some precious Berserk merchandise? Was it worth it? and what's the weirdest piece of Berserk merch that you own?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
We'll definitely get to your question, Grail. Sorry for the delay, I just didn't check that first thread when doing a question round up.

We will be taking questions for this week's show. So please post them here and BOLD them so I can gather them quickly before we record.

Thanks guys, and looking forward to the episode!

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Just got to listened to the podcast after procrastinating to get to it. I hope by now your wife is feeling better Walter.

Thanks for the input on Grail and LIt on how they got into beserk and to get their opinions about how Miura's art has changed throughout this whole time. About the cold food part, I have eaten several of items including the ones mentioned in the podcast. I like to cook with propane, so an electric stove won't do for me. I just ate that stuff, because I ran out of gas and the microwave was busted, but I have tried them even when the stove or the microwave were functional.

I"m satisfied with Viz releases of other anime, therefore I"m sure they won't dissapoint us with the Berserk movie(cross my fingers)

Good impressions Gobs, you nailed Walt Jr. for sure :ganishka:

Are there panels that have been changed/ revamped from what you see on a YA issue compared to what's on the manga release in it's volume format?

IF the answer's YES,
-Any significant changes made like pose/ posture/ etc for the good/ bad? ('bad' is going to have a biased view but it'll be interesting to see if there's something like a Vagabond revision or two where it doesn't help the scene post revision)

EDIT: My question got me thinking that I hope there isn't a topic already for this! Search feature and I have a date for the next 10 minutes. I took off the second sub question cos that sounded retarded when I read it back to myself :farnese:

Top Bottom