Skullknight.NET Podcast: Episode 12

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Episode 12: http://skullknight.net/podcast/Podcast12.mp3

It's our longest episode ever, as we tackle the mystery of V O I D, and also reveal Walter's shameful past, which was terribly deVOID of Aliens movies. Members asked a lot of questions, and we got through a few, with plenty still to tackle at the end of a 2-hour podcast. Don't aVOID listening to it!

Podcast Notes:
0:00:18 - Void
0:40:54 - Alien Discussion
1:22:26 - Q+A
1:51:18 - Outtakes

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
I listened to this as I put laundry away. I'm wondering if there is ever a backstory of the God Hand members, will Void's and Skully's story will merge into one? If, and only if they are tied together as it has been speculated in the forum before.

Great podcast, guys! I really liked your thoughts on Void. The Alien series discussion was hilarious. Especially your reactions to Alien Resurrection and the concept of Ripley being an alien-human hybrid(?).

I especially loved the outtakes. I’ve been semi-closely following the French elections. For a month or two now I’ve wanted to ask Aaz about his take on it. But I never worked up the courage to ask. So I was pleasantly surprised to hear you guys talking about it.

I have a few questions for a future podcast if you guys don’t mind . . .

Have you guys ever been inspired by Berserk or another work of fiction in a way that has affected your actions or outlook in life?* If yes, what affected you? And how did it affect you or your life? (Assuming it's not something too personal, of course.) Or do you guys see works of fiction as “just” a source of entertainment and never go beyond that?

And if those questions are a bit too silly . . . If you had to choose one Berserk character (any major or minor character), who would you say best represents you? And by represent you I mean your personality or characteristics or flaws or whatnot not your physical appearance.

*For example, a person might read a book that includes a character with a joie de vivre and decides to enjoy the little things in life. Or a person might see a movie about a specific location that blows him away so he spends his life trying to go there to visit or live. Or a person might see or read a piece of fiction where a character has a specific career, and that character inspires the person to choose that career in his own life.

Again, awesome podcast guys! I can't believe you're already up to 12. It seems like just yesterday you guys were asking if anyone was interested in the concept. Time flies when you're having fun.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The Good Reverend Skeleton said:
Again, awesome podcast guys! I can't believe you're already up to 12. It seems like just yesterday you guys were asking if anyone was interested in the concept. Time flies when you're having fun.
Thanks for listening, yeah 12 episodes... 10 was a big milestone for me, personally. Particularly since those were done once a week. After 10, decided to slow it down and it's been much more manageable for all of us. Preparation, recording, editing, finalizing and posting tends to eat up most of my Sundays.

Unfortunately, we've only had one episode of Berserk during this entire run :sad:

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, guys! I really appreciate it.

Also, you all did well not to spoil much for Wind Waker. I'm actually past the part where you get the Master Sword, so you will all live to see another day.

Liking the discussion in this one. What other characters will you be discussing in the future? Make five parts for Azan and three parts for Silat! ;)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Henry Spencer said:
Liking the discussion in this one. What other characters will you be discussing in the future? Make five parts for Azan and three parts for Silat! ;)
Thanks. I dunno who we'll do, or when we'll even do another character-specific podcast. We have a lot of ideas, but I don't think it necessarily has to subscribe to a simple format like characters. The Skull Knight's was sort a special case, since like I said at one point in the podcast, focusing on him takes us through some of the series' biggest events, and allows us to extrapolate about them along the way. He's also a very mysterious character, like Void, which invites open speculation.

But we can't necessarily apply the same thing to someone like Guts, who the readers know almost intimately.

The kinds of shows I have planned for the future are more themed around concepts that can group several characters or volumes together.

Well, you could always do one on :schnoz:
But really, how about one for merchandise, another one about thoughts on the Dreamcast game, the PS2 game and all that? You can do a lot with the discussions on Berserk, a lot to go at, right?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Henry Spencer said:
Well, you could always do one on :schnoz:
But really, how about one for merchandise, another one about thoughts on the Dreamcast game, the PS2 game and all that? You can do a lot with the discussions on Berserk, a lot to go at, right?
There is certainly no shortage of Berserk-related topics. But not all lend themselves to good, entertaining discussions for all listeners. I've learned that there's a delicate balance to keeping these discussions open enough that they move naturally without any dead air, while at the same time not making the show so structured that it stifles the tangents that come from any good conversation (see Episode 2).

So it's not enough to just say "merchandise" is the topic of the day, because that alone doesn't lend itself naturally to talking points. Off the top of my head that would involve a listing of merchandise that we all own and maybe stories about how we acquired them. That doesn't exactly stir my soul. I'm also not sure that I have much to say on the subject other than, "Boy, Art of War's faces sure do suck." I could of course bring in an expert guest like DirectDK, but then Griff and I—merch outsiders—would just be flies on the wall throwing in the occasional, "Yep."

Regarding the Berserk games, I've considered it, I just don't think there's enough to say about them (the PS2 game in particular) without it feeling like we'd be giving a book report on the subject, rather than talking about the subject naturally. Also given that none of us (I think) have played either game in years, I'm not sure what we have to say would be very insightful since we'd be pulling from a distant memory. We could certainly try it, but in my head it's only going to last 15-20 minutes or so.

I'm up for any Berserk subject that's interesting and versatile enough to sustain conversation over the course of an hour or so. But selecting the right topic is trickier than you might think.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
I could of course bring in an expert guest like DirectDK, but then Griff and I—merch outsiders—would just be flies on the wall throwing in the occasional, "Yep."

berserkmerchandise.jpg

Yep.

Ah, the Alien movies...I have fond memories of them. :ubik: Especially Aliens, since it was the very first movie i saw in a cinema, when I was in second grade. It left quite the impression on me, I couldn't sleep for weeks :ganishka:

That's a bummer, especially for merchandise enthusiasts such as myself and anyone who's expressed an interest towards it recently. It boils down to interest, like the huge discussions over Mass Effect games or other games in podcasts of the past. I loved the Creation Section focused podcast with 2 key members from that part of the forum. Don't get me wrong - I feel fortunate a podcast for Berserk exists in the first place (!!).

Among the new Hawks, who's your favorite character and why? If it's Zodd, who's next in line.

Grunbeld's apostle form armor cracked when he battled Guts in Berserker mode. Do you see them battling again in the future and Guts finally taking him out?

The old Hawks had 7 prominent members and the new Hawks share the same count. Coincidence? Your thoughts on it?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
That's a bummer, especially for merchandise enthusiasts such as myself and anyone who's expressed an interest towards it recently. It boils down to interest, like the huge discussions over Mass Effect games or other games in podcasts of the past. I loved the Creation Section focused podcast with 2 key members from that part of the forum. Don't get me wrong - I feel fortunate a podcast for Berserk exists in the first place (!!).
All I said was that I'm not convinced it would be an interesting topic just to have it be "merchandise." I need convincing that it'll be worthwhile to other members (like me) who aren't necessarily head over heels for Berserk merchandise.

Walter said:
There is certainly no shortage of Berserk-related topics. But not all lend themselves to good, entertaining discussions for all listeners. I've learned that there's a delicate balance to keeping these discussions open enough that they move naturally without any dead air, while at the same time not making the show so structured that it stifles the tangents that come from any good conversation (see Episode 2).

So it's not enough to just say "merchandise" is the topic of the day, because that alone doesn't lend itself naturally to talking points. Off the top of my head that would involve a listing of merchandise that we all own and maybe stories about how we acquired them. That doesn't exactly stir my soul. I'm also not sure that I have much to say on the subject other than, "Boy, Art of War's faces sure do suck." I could of course bring in an expert guest like DirectDK, but then Griff and I—merch outsiders—would just be flies on the wall throwing in the occasional, "Yep."

Regarding the Berserk games, I've considered it, I just don't think there's enough to say about them (the PS2 game in particular) without it feeling like we'd be giving a book report on the subject, rather than talking about the subject naturally. Also given that none of us (I think) have played either game in years, I'm not sure what we have to say would be very insightful since we'd be pulling from a distant memory. We could certainly try it, but in my head it's only going to last 15-20 minutes or so.

I'm up for any Berserk subject that's interesting and versatile enough to sustain conversation over the course of an hour or so. But selecting the right topic is trickier than you might think.

Well, I didn't mean outright that the entire episode should be devoted to the merchandise alone, just another portion of any given episode in the future, sort like how you switch things up and vary it well. Just one idea in a sea of them, just go with what you would like to discuss. I can always nag you and suggest other things though. :serpico: Here: You've also got discussion on how you think Dark Horse are/have handled Berserk manga in the past, what could be improved, what you all think of their translation (is the grammar as good as it could be), speaking of which, that could be another point of discussion; how Berserk can be lost in translation depending on the source. You touched upon it in a previous episode ("Knight of Skeleton"). I'd be interested in how accurate Dark Horse's efforts actually are from somebody who knows about this...especially since I've seen complaints about it before. And what the translations are like in other countries as well.

There's also discussion on a topic which I'd find fascinating; based on real life influences and how they affect the world of Berserk; like the weapons used in Berserk (I remember reading Aaz being very knowledgeable on the Kushan's arsenal, particularly Silat's) and certain locations, people, cultures, art that Miura pools his ideas from.
Anyway, it is appreciated all the same whatever you decide to do (I'm only trying to give you some ideas, sorry if it comes across as "I want you to do this, that and the next thing, not my intention at all), so thanks, I'll keep listening in, since you guys are doing a great job so far.

Top Bottom