Introduction to Berserk

I was wondering how come some of the older member have to much information and what makes them experts on berserk (this is more targeted to Guillaume, Griffith, Walter, Olivier Hague and Puella but any one can answer)

Who introduced you to berserk?

What and Who are your sources?

What memobilia from berserk do you have?

What other manga or anime are you into?

As for me, I believe www.arcticnightfall.com got me into berserk while I was searching reviews on ninja scroll. My sources none unless I count this board, no memobilia ... at the moment. Concerning the other stuff, used to like DBZ, Ninja scroll is a master piece, I enjoyed vampire hunter d (version 2000) , although the story was soso cowboy beebop had that "cool" atmosphere going. Otherwise I'm more into live action movie.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
· I believe Arctic Nightfall was also the same reason I got into BERSERK. I just happen to be the BERSERK boards moderator now 8)

· Skullknight is my number one source for information, because everyone here has plenty of it and the people are good conversation in general.

· Living in England means I can get my hands on NO BERSERK stuff. The only stuff I own are the R1 DVD's :'(

· X is my favourite anime, by far. Not the movie, that is an insult to X! Not a huge anime fan in general, but I loved Cowboy Bebop and Trigun very much! I'm more of a Manga guy. I read Blade of the Immortal a lot, because it's a cracking manga. Other manga's include X, Angel Sanctuary,Island, Kami·Kaze, Furuba, Chobits etc.

BOB

poruno sutâ
DC game when it came out. first source for more was BSOM. reading the forum (that is no more)

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...
I was introduced to berserk via KaZaA. I have since bought as much of the anime as has been released in the US.

I read the Hawks manga. I would buy a US release in a heartbeat though.

The only berserk stuff you could say I have it the US DVD release.

I'm into a lot of anime. I have a $2000 DVD colection. Basicly I like anything dark, and I stay away from comedies.

P

psymont

i was in my local anime store with a friend and we thought we would try something off the wall .... being into d&d, the idea of a berserker seemed interesting .... we watched the first episode .... i loved it, they didnt .... i didnt have a card to that store and wasnt able to convince them to rent it again until the game came out and kicked ass enough for them to both be interested in seeing the tapes again .... i watched my first episode about 5 years ago on a shitty fan sub vhs ....

argon

I love Gatts Fury
The first time I heard about berserk was 7 years ago : it was an article in a video game/manga magazine.
Of course, my main source is skullknight.net

I have almost all the japanese mangas (still missing 22-24)

I bought HK DVD BOX last year, and recently some action figures of guts. That's all I have because few things are available in France.

And i'm fond off anime, I own many series, and i looooove it :) ;D

G

Genn21

>:( i was introduced to berserk by some local college anime frinds who thought the series blew phat goatese nuts ..(whores) later tho i found out these people preffered animes such as gravitation and machcromatic.. so i gave them a drop kick to the balls and watched berserk from then on ;D

Lliugusamui

around the corner
I first discovered Berserk when my brother got the anime a few years ago... that is called fate. Thanks to that, I made a crazy text in english about gennon and griff and the professor wondered if I was sane mentally ... good ol' crazy times ( that no one cares about ^^)

Markaveli63

I don't love YaBB 1G - SP1!
1. I bought the HK DVD box after the anime was said to be great... I read a review on anime-scifi.com or something like that, wich gave the series an A+. That was about 2 years ago. That site is long dead now, I believe. At that time the anime was by far the best anime I had ever seen, and it still is. I got the manga right after finishing the anime. I read scans of vol. 1-11, and bought vol. 12-19. I'm still gonna get the earlier and later Volumes, don't worry ;).

After Berserk nearly every manga/anime dissapointed me :)

2. In the beginning BSOM, but now mostly Skullknight.net (+board) or Arcticnightfall (+board).

- HK DVD Box
- First 4 R1 volumes + Box of War
- Skull Knight Key Chain
- Manga Volumes 12-19 (my frickin' source won't re-stock 19-23!)
- Berserk: Millenium Falcon Dreamcast game
- 2 Berserk posters

4. Well... Berserk is definately my favorite. After that I'd say mostly Rurouni Kenshin and NG Evangelion (anime only, to a lesser extend) a bit too. There are quite some others, but not nearly as good as these.

DemonEyesKyo

Put your glasses on, nothing will be wrong........
1.) I too bought the HK version, i think about 2 years ago because on the internet i had heard rumors about how good berserk was.

2.) Skullknight.net is the only source i care about.

3.) all the figures (cept for femto)
a few keychains
R1 boxset and 3 dvd's so far
1-6 of the manga
Band of the Hawk flag
Production sketches from the anime and one cel
And the DC game

4.) I Love berserk, i also like initial d, hajime no ippo, cowboy bebop, and s.cry.ed

Hey Folks, the wild woulf here, just thought id say whats up and all that stuff. im not really an expert in berserk but many other manga i know a few things about.

1. Id have to say omega tom hanks introduced me to the world of berserk, Me and hanks went to school and stuff and was like, hey check this out, guts is the man! And ever since then ive been a follower.

2. Skull knight is my number one source for information and along with Hanks. And probably wikipedia along with everyone else.

3. The only memorbillia i have are the pirated dvd's and hanks hates me for it =[

4. MY FAVORITE ANIME/MANGA has to be Hokuto no Ken!!! I am absolutely in love with it. But another one i love has to be jojo's bizarre adventure. but i follow the crowd with everyone like naruto and bleach and such. But im also a die-hard gundam fan, u ask, i know it!

Thats just a summary of me a bit, feel free to ask me anything, ill answer to the extent of my knowledge

^_^

CnC

Ad Oculos
Hey there ThE WiLd WoUlF, welcome to SK.net. This is an interesting thread you've dug up here. Interesting Berserk history for some members here.

Anyhoo I'll contribute :guts:

1. My little brother turned me on to Berserk back in '97-'98. He had a couple of the volumes and had purchased a VHS copy of the anime (old school, baby. internet? what's that?)

2. Black Sun over Midland was the first place I actually found anyone discussing it, and it just happened to be one of the best places out there. Walter made Sk.net shortly after and I've been on ever since.

3. Just the manga and a PVC statue :badbone:

4. Can't say I'm the biggest follower of other manga/anime out there. In fact I find most of it fairly derivative. Back when I was a kid I briefly lived in Japan and read both Doraimon and Akira at the same time and loved them. Recently the folks here have turned me onto Vagabond, which is good.

1. When we switched to netflix, I rented Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo based on word of mouth. When I finished them, I started browsing some recommendations and then this anime called Berserk came up. I had never heard of it before and was hoping that it wouldn't suck.  :guts:

2. My sources of information are this website, Young Animal's website/babelfish, and Dark horse's website for the official American releases. I go by the DH releases

3. So far I just have the DH version of the manga volumes 1-20 and the DVDs but I'm hoping to find some good posters, wall scrolls, T-shirts, hats. Some videogames for non defunct systems and for english speakers would be fantastic as well.

4. Berserk is the only manga I read. As for anime, I like Gungrave, Fullmetal Alchemist, Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebeop, The GetBackers, Yu Yu Hakusho, Grave of the Fireflies, Princess Mononoke, and a bunch of others.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Welcome to SK.net, ThE WiLd WoUlF.

1. I was introduced to Berserk through the anime, which I first saw a trailer for on one of the Rurouni Kenshin DVD's.

2. My sources for Berserk are the English releases by Dark Horse, the scans and translations found on this site and the more recent Japanese volumes.

3. I own all 6 Berserk anime DVD's, volumes 1-20 of the Dark Horse releases, volumes 26-32 of the Japanese originals, the Berserk Illustrations File artbook, several Art of War resin and PVC statues, the anime soundtrack and a wall scroll.

4. My favorite anime are Rurouni Kenshin, Berserk, Ghost in the Shell, Fullmetal Alchemist, Akira, Ninja Scroll, The Vision of Escaflowne, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun and X. My favorite manga are Berserk, Rurouni Kenshin, Trigun, GTO and Vagabond (which I'm just getting into).

1. I was introduced to Berserk through the anime back in something like 2005. I had a friend back in OKlahoma, US who was slowly breaking me into anime. the only good one he had me watch was Berserk. Especially after the fact that he made me wait and watch please teacher, silent mobius, and a few others.... Berserk was eagerly welcomed. and now i know more about it than he. which is funny.

2. My sources for Berserk are the English releases by Dark Horse, wikipedia, and here...

3. I have the berserk single case package. The beauties of online shopping. DH releases of Vol 1-20. and the SK emblem tat on the my chest.

4. My favorite anime (excluding berserk of course) Naruto, elfen lied, Black Lagoon, Tengo tenge, and g gundam, yu yu hakusho, bebop, pretty much off the top of my head

berserker88

The Raging Demon
1. Myself, I wanted something new to watch but never expected something that changed my life.

2. DH releases and the Jet manga volumes

3. The anime series from Media blasters, all the manga JP and American. And a few Headlong Berserk kits

4. Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Dragon Ball/Z(manga), Hellsing, and recently Vagabond.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
1- a friend told me about berserk and then another one told me about it too (when we lived together)  so i bought them blindly without knowing what it was really (first and second dvd)

2- my sources are sk.net (found out about it while trying to search for the english volumes after finding out it was a manga) so i googled a bit, found the first 3 volumes by dark horse (they just released them) and i found (which one was it first again) i think i found sk.net first then i lost it then i found Arctic nightfall then found sk.net (which i like the best of course)

3- i have berserk 1-20 in english 13-14 in french, guts action figures (black swordsman) and a statue of guts with berserker armor with the beast as a head.

4- favorite anime movies: perfect blue, paprika, akira, x (the movie hihi) manga would be (other then berserk cause it comes first) museum of terror, gyo, uzumaki, coq de combat and well i have a bunch so I'll stop there

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
The Blackswordsman said:
I was wondering how come some of the older member have to much information and what makes them experts on berserk (this is more targeted to Guillaume, Griffith, Walter, Olivier Hague and Puella but any one can answer)

Wow, and not a single one of us responded. =)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Better late than never :guts:

The Blackswordsman said:
Me. I rented it from an anime rental shop late in 1999 in Atlanta before it was acquired by Media Blasters. It was a fansub copy, and I thought it had a cool cover (see the Anime OST). The video quality on it was so bad, I seriously thought the anime was produced in the late '80s until I found out more about it. :ganishka:

What and Who are your sources?
Well, initially Black Sun Over Midland's forums, where I met most of the early Berserk US crew (CnC, Wereallmad, Skully, Olivier, Griffith, Godo, et al.). That place eventually led me to fan translations from Erias/Doc that circulated around the net in 2000. After that, I subscribed to Young Animal and followed the series episode by episode from 165 til now and just kept up I guess.

What memobilia from berserk do you have?
Not too much. Just the manga, two art books (Illustrations file and complete dissection), two statues (Skull Knight and Guts: Lost Children), a Puck keychain, an illigitimate wallscroll, the first MBR (thanks asmer!), the Berserk DC game, and the domain to Skullknight.net/org etc., if those count...

None. After I saw Berserk, that was the end of my anime and manga browsing days.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Guillaume... wow.

It's pretty cool to see how things have changed, and haven't. I no longer live in England, and I no longer obtain minuscule amount of Berserk stuff. I am still moderator of the Berserk forums on AN, but haven't touched it in roughly a donkey's age, I am still not a huge anime guy, and I'm still an ambassador for SKnet: my #1 source for information, because everyone here has plenty of it and the people are good conversation in general.

:badbone:

Walter said:
None. After I saw Berserk, that was the end of my anime and manga browsing days.

Balderdash and codswallop! Mr. Takehiko Inoue would like a word with you, sir.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Uriel said:
Balderdash and codswallop! Mr. Takehiko Inoue would like a word with you, sir.
Shit... busted! It's Griff's fault, he got me into Vagabond on the Miura vs Inoue factor so, it's somewhat related. :troll:

Whatever happened to Guillaume anyway?

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:
The video quality on it was so bad, I seriously thought the anime was produced in the late '80s until I found out more about it. :ganishka:

Same deal here. Episode 1 was such a bad copy that it had tracking problems throughout, however that one swing with the DS was crystal clear and that was enough to keep me going :)

Walter said:
he got me into Vagabond on the Miura vs Inoue factor

Miura wins, but they're both good :troll:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
1) I share this experience with argon actually. I also first read about the Berserk manga in the same videogame magazine (which I still keep preciously) in 1996. They had run an article about it because volume 1 had just been released in France by Samouraï Éditions (first release of Berserk outside of Japan ever!). Anyway, at the time it didn't make much of an impression on me, and it's only years later that I rediscovered it with the animated series.

2) Myself, I guess. :troll:

3) Tons of stuff which I don't feel like listing.

4) I don't really follow any manga other than Berserk on a regular basis. I like Akira by Katsuhiro Ōtomo, Nausicaä by Hayao Miyazaki, Masamune Shirow's early stuff, Naoki Urasawa's various works, and I read One Piece from times to times. There's more, but I don't think it's really important to list everything.

Walter said:
Whatever happened to Guillaume anyway?

He was on a couple hours ago, so I guess he'll fill us in if he feels like it.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Well, I got the DC game for Christmas some time ago and after beating the game i started looking around for more information. So i went to the BSOM and found the message board. The same day I was going to start posting I found out about skullknight.net so jumped ships.

I still haven't seen the ending to the anime since the blockbuster i worked at didn't carry the last DVD of it. That was fine with me I really hated the anime. Also, I'm not really into anime or manga in general, but I really do enjoy Lupin and Berserk.

I think the older members know more stuff simply because they have been around more, discussed more and maybe re-read it/watched it more; i mean the longer you're exposed the more you retain usually. But that's me taking a stab at it.

The Blackswordsman said:
For me thats a mixture of 2 people and seeing the anime in the rental store actually. I knew of it's existence but only really read it after i was told to OR ELSE by phoenix and of course I don't regret that!
The Blackswordsman said:
What memorabilia from berserk do you have?
Besides the manga and anime I have the PS2 game, a lot of the cards from vol. 1, 2 ,3 & 5 (I bought boxes of each and also got the special big card in there), a Griffith plush, a little Guts gashapon, and those Japanese toys r us exclusive (or so i hear) mini figure/card deck boxed together (Griffith & the hawks solder deck and Guts and the Black swordsman deck), and a few shirts.

The Blackswordsman said:
Oldboy, Blade of The Immortal, Hellsing, Lupin, Rune Solder, Diablo, Saiyuki, Gantz, Kenshin/Samurai X, Basilisk are a few as well as a few other obscure but good things, like believe it or not Host Club. Vampire princess Myu & Nightwalker just cause those were some of my firsts. I'm also a huge fan of Bible Black and others from its genera though.

The Blackswordsman said:
Concerning the other stuff, used to like DBZ, Ninja scroll is a master piece, I enjoyed vampire hunter d (version 2000)
I used to be a DBZ fan myself; ninja scroll and both vampire Hunter D movies are also pretty awesome.

Other then that I read a lot of "regular comics" though, like Batman, Spider-man, Deadpool, watchmen, preacher, spawn, dawn, street fighter and so forth.

Walter said:
Pretty much. When it comes to the manga market nothing at all really touches Berserk or at all compairs to it for me either. It's by far my fav, thats for sure

Top Bottom