What is Skull Knight saying to Guts episode 142 Road of Evil (2)

I have read one REALLY BAD & old scanlation by The Hawks, and I own the Official Dark Horse translation, but still his words come across as being very cryptic. Can anyone, specifically Aaz comment on his dialogue to Guts in this episode? I was hoping to find a link to an SK.net translation in the manga section of the encyclopedia, but it is absent.

Knowing what happens in volumes 20 & 21 it seems obvious that he is hinting about the incarnation of Femto, but he mentions several other things (from memory) about shadows and the eclipse. And tell me what does the Skull Knight say is so important/significant about Guts/Casca/Skull Knight all being in the same place again?

Now I don't think that Skull Knight told Guts anything here that we haven't already seen come to fruition at the current point in the Manga, but I am hoping he may have some sort of explanation for the things that we see in volume 20 & 21 such as the tower crumbling into the form of a Giant hand, and the spectral figures in the shape of 4 members of the god hand that Guts cleaves in half in the palm of the hand/tower.

And even if suppose there is not enough clear and dry evidence to form an objective truth for why those events happened, what are people's favorite personal theories on the subject?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Jaze1618 said:
I have read one REALLY BAD & old scanlation by The Hawks, and I own the Official Dark Horse translation, but still his words come across as being very cryptic.
SK is always cryptic. The only thing different in this scene is that he's cryptically explaining a complicated world event.

Can anyone, specifically Aaz comment on his dialogue to Guts in this episode? I was hoping to find a link to an SK.net translation in the manga section of the encyclopedia, but it is absent.
Speaking of cryptic, I've read your post twice and I still don't quite get what you're asking specifically—an explanation of everything SK says to Guts? Well, okay then:

SK tells Guts:
-Glad you're still alive
-It's interesting you have an elf with you
-I am the foe of the nonhumans (Apostles and God Hand members)
-One of them is in Albion
-God Hand exist wherever there is a concentration of negative thoughts, but they have no physical bodies
-A ceremony that occurs once every 1,000 years allows a being "of heavenly spheres" to take flesh
-The revelation of the Falcon tells that he will appear in the world once more
-He asks if Casca is in Albion, and reads the answer on Guts' face
-The incarnation ceremony replicates events of the Eclipse, which is in part why it's significant that all the players are being drawn there again (SK, Zodd, Guts, Casca, etc.)
-He uses an analogy about this event being like moonlight reflected on the surface of the water, implying that events are preordained.
-Guts argues that he won't let something like that (the Eclipse) happen again
-SK says perhaps Guts can disrupt things, since he isn't tied to the material world like other humans. Perhaps he's a jumping fish, and not simply a fish swimming in the river (which is reflecting moonlight)
-Guts can't both save Casca and attack Griffith/Femto. He has to choose.

If it's the jumping fish analogy you're curious about, it's something we've talked about here countless times. It even has its own entry in the Glossary (CLICK). We also talked about this scene in depth in SKnet's podcast, The SkullKast: Episode 5 (at around 34 minutes).

Walter said:
-The incarnation ceremony replicates events of the Eclipse, which is in part why it's significant that all the players are being drawn there again (SK, Zodd, Guts, Casca, etc.)
-He uses an analogy about this event being like moonlight reflected on the surface of the water, implying that events are preordained.

Thanks Walter, those two lines, (more-so the former) are the crux of what I was looking to find by starting this topic. And sorry for being so cryptic, I suppose I left if open ended because I was basing my question off of my fading memory of this chapter and couldn't get much more specific.

I will go listen to that podcast now.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
I was always (and still am) puzzled as to how the incarnation ceremony went on the Godhand point of view? Were they present in the same dimension as the eclipse but..without apostles and sacrifices? was they even a ritual on their side? or was it only the "shadow of the eclipse" (for lack of a better way to say it) that did all the work? did Void did a beautiful speech for himself about how Femto was to incarnated? Anyways every time I read these episodes I'm always wondering that.

Any thoughts?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
jackson_hurley said:
I was always (and still am) puzzled as to how the incarnation ceremony went on the Godhand point of view? Were they present in the same dimension as the eclipse but..without apostles and sacrifices? was they even a ritual on their side? or was it only the "shadow of the eclipse" (for lack of a better way to say it) that did all the work? did Void did a beautiful speech for himself about how Femto was to incarnated? Anyways every time I read these episodes I'm always wondering that.

Any thoughts?

I doubt the rest of the God Hand are present at the location where the Occultation ceremony occurred, but there's no way to know for sure (and I doubt we'll ever get an answer to that question).

The God Hand were probably all dissolved in their favorite Sephira, and were floating around without forms, when Griffith was incarnated. Based on what Slan said in volume 26, it doesn't seem like they get together very often, apart from Occultation ceremonies, or whenever an apostle calls out to them using a beherit.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
Any thoughts?
The God Hand weren't present at the Incarnation ceremony. Those were just placeholders as the rest of the Eclipse ceremony completed its mirroring, just like SK said.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:

And also that this event is only a mirror image of a previous event. A literal reflection of something unalterable.

Walter said:
-SK says perhaps Guts can disrupt things, since he isn't tied to the material world like other humans. Perhaps he's a jumping fish, and not simply a fish swimming in the river (which is reflecting moonlight)

Actually, the Skull Knight tells Guts that the material world is like the moon's shadow reflected on the water, and that because of the Brand he might not just be a shadow himself, but a fish creating ripples in it (and so being able to distort, alter the reflection ever so slightly). He never talks about a jumping fish (Slan does, during the Occultation ceremony). That's in the glossary! :puck:

jackson_hurley said:
I was always (and still am) puzzled as to how the incarnation ceremony went on the Godhand point of view? [...] was they even a ritual on their side? or was it only the "shadow of the eclipse" (for lack of a better way to say it) that did all the work?

No ritual that we know of. And we saw that they were busy doing their own thing near the time when it happened. Conrad was spreading the plague, Slan was riling up the heretics. All of them playing their part. As for "what" did all the work... I direct you to the titles of episodes 163, 164 and 165.

Aazealh said:
Actually, the Skull Knight tells Guts that the material world is like the moon's shadow reflected on the water, and that because of the Brand he might not just be a shadow himself, but a fish creating ripples in it (and so being able to distort, alter the reflection ever so slightly). He never talks about a jumping fish (Slan does, during the Occultation ceremony). That's in the glossary! :puck:

While Skull Knight never says it, the title of episode 166 is "The Jumping Fish" and features quite a literal jump by Guts. I'm not contradicting, I'm just pointing it out.

Aazealh said:
And also that this event is only a mirror image of a previous event. A literal reflection of something unalterable.

Thanks for confirming Aaz, this piece in particular is something that had always been an interpretation that I myself held as well.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
ApostleBob said:
the title of episode 166 is "The Jumping Fish" and features quite a literal jump by Guts.

Yes, I am aware of that. But it's beside the point here; the Skull Knight uses a different analogy.

Top Bottom