Cloud Atlas

H

hellrasinbrasin

original.jpg

:: Plot ::

An epic story of humankind in which the actions and consequences of our lives impact one another throughout the past, present and future as one soul is shaped from a murderer into a savior and a single act of kindness ripples out for centuries to inspire a revolution.

:: Cast ::

Tom Hanks as Dr. Henry Goose, Issac Sachs, Dermot "Duster" Hoggins, Zachry Bailey
Hugh Grant as Alberto Grimaldi
Halle Berry as Luisa Rey, Meronym
Jim Broadbent as Vyvyan Ars, Timothy Cavendish
Hugo Weaving as Bill Smoke
Jim Sturgess as Adam Ewing, Hae-Joo Im, Adam Bailey
James D'Arcy as Rufus Sixsmith
Ben Whishaw as Robert Frobisher
Susan Sarandon as Ursula
Keith David as Joe Napier
David Gyasi as Autua
Zhou Xun as Yoona-939
Doona Bae as Sonmi~451
David Mitchell in an unspecified cameo role

:: Trailer ::

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvVkkAFrH6s&feature=player_embedded

Few days ago I clicked on a trailer link floating around. I noticed it was 5 something minutes long and closed the browser window just when it started. I'm going blind on this and will watch it the weekend it comes out. I'm also going to guess this trailer spoils the movie a lot.

H

hellrasinbrasin

Actually it doesn't its a 5 Minute Trailer from a 3 1/2 film. So that leaves you with 3 hours 25 Minutes of the unknown still.

H

hellrasinbrasin

I know one thing the back and forth between iterations of the characters is gonna throw people off... Oh this is going to be so much fun I can't wait for October to get here. :ubik:

I don't trust trailers these days, look at Prometheus as an example. I know who's in the movie, read the synopsis and I'll risk going in blind.

Count me in Johnstantine - I enjoy Speed Racer too and I watch it on n off when I'm in the mood.

Finally, it comes out this weekend. Noticed the 65% RT rating but frakk that, I'm going to go watch it. Still haven't seen the trailer, not a fan of Halle Berry.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
IncantatioN said:
Finally, it comes out this weekend. Noticed the 65% RT rating but frakk that, I'm going to go watch it. Still haven't seen the trailer, not a fan of Halle Berry.

It was at 88% like a week ago. I think, in general, critics and the community just have it out for the Wachowski's. I love all of their movies, even the much-hated Speed Racer.

I guess they just have a certain appeal with me that isn't shared with the masses?

Speed Racer was great as far as I'm concerned and my biggest regret with that movie was not having the time to watch it when it came out in theaters, but I pre-ordered the BR and watch it every now-n-then.

I suspect the rating will get higher by the weekend. Movies are expensive to go to, so it's fair that everyone relies on ratings. Or their gut. Things like 'based on a true story' or 'from the award winning novel' used to work before. Audiences today go by entertainment value/ 3D/ IMAX/ etc. Execs too play it safe, John Carter's a perfect example.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
IncantatioN said:
Speed Racer was great as far as I'm concerned and my biggest regret with that movie was not having the time to watch it when it came out in theaters, but I pre-ordered the BR and watch it every now-n-then.

I suspect the rating will get higher by the weekend. Movies are expensive to go to, so it's fair that everyone relies on ratings. Or their gut. Things like 'based on a true story' or 'from the award winning novel' used to work before. Audiences today go by entertainment value/ 3D/ IMAX/ etc. Execs too play it safe, John Carter's a perfect example.

The ratings have actually declined. What worries me is that Ebert gave it 4/4 stars. He gave Prometheus the same rating, and gave DKR and Avengers 3/4.

I'm scared, man.

That's SO disheartening, hoped the movie had good critical reception at least, I have to go check it out though!

It's forcasted to make $9 million this weekend, not a good opening weekend for a $100 million production. Domestic will tank, like most sci-fi cult movies and hopefully it makes up for (SOME of) it in the International market, like Sunshine.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I saw it last weekend and was disappointed. It was very ambitious and well-acted, but the vignettes were underwhelming. About halfway through the film, I turned to my girlfriend and said, "Wow, the critics really got this one wrong." When the credits started rolling, I turned to her and said, "Nevermind."

Also, it was really unnecessary for the actors to play multiple roles, as far as I could tell. The commercials made it seem like reincarnation was going to be a theme in the movie, but that never materialized. It could've been a cost-saver, though, since the movie already cost over $100 million.

Did anyone else see it? What were your thoughts?

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
IncantatioN said:
Booked tickets last week to watch it Tuesday night but couldn't because of the hurricane. Will check it out before the weekend.

I was going to see it last night, but I decided to wait until the weekend.

Top Bottom