What are the DEFINITIVE Images of Berserk's Characters?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
With the help of a forum member who is helping me with some coding, I am beginning the process of revising the Berserk Encyclopedia's Character Guide. This involves rewriting all of the entries and rescanning all of the character portraits.

Aaz and I talked about it, and I agree that moving forward it makes more sense to use black and white portraits for characters, unless there's a colored version directly from Miura.

There are two good reasons for this:
1) I was always lazy about updating this section because I would put off coloring a new character...
2) Black and white would make it uniform. There was always artistic inconsistency due to different artists helping with the colorizations.

So, since I'm going to rescan all of the images, what are the DEFINITIVE images of these characters? This was always a part of the Character Guide I spent a lot of time thinking about. What's THE Guts image? What captures his character? Ideally it wouldn't be one of him screaming. And the same for Casca, Griffith, etc.

It's a heavy task, but try to think of what images come to mind when you think of a character. Post your ideas in this thread and I'll go through and scan them for the project.

Thanks in advance!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
TheBranded1 said:
For the main characters, do you think you can use the character profiles Miura has drawn in recent volumes?
Those weren't drawn just for the character profiles, but pulled from existing volumes. Some of them would work fine, but for others I'd like a more uniform space for the portrait. It should be as consistent as possible (200x200 max).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
Volume 27 cover for Guts. It better be definitive. I got it tattooed on me.
That's a good choice, but he's breaking the fourth wall :guts: Still, it might work.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
For one of Guts i could think of a picture of him grinning. To me that's something I notice he often before or during a fight, I dunno I've always found it nice when he does that.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
jackson_hurley said:
For one of Guts i could think of a picture of him grinning. To me that's something I notice he often before or during a fight, I dunno I've always found it nice when he does that.
Got a particular one in mind?

For Griffith, I'm thinking Volume 33's cover.

griffith2.jpg

Nxa

The Struggler is unleashed.
My general take on Guts would be something more vulnerable... I still think of him as a tender boy who's thrown into vicious circumstances and turmoil, which dramatically molds his character and forces him to build a hard shell around himself. :sad:
And yet the vulnerable kid, deprived of childhood and love, is still there.
I'm thinking of the cover of volume 17, where we see him grown-up and in his somewhat toughest phase, if I recall correctly... Yet he still looks touchingly like that 11-year-old boy, who killed his imperfect but dear father figure. In a whole, it also takes into account his actual softening in the future, when he unwillingly gains companions. :isidro: :schierke: :serpico: :farnese:
Also, Puck. :puck:

Here's for the reference:
2452345-17_cropped_super.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The image I'm leaning toward right now is similar to Volume 17's, which unfortunately doesn't have the characteristics of a portrait due to the lettering, Puck's placement and the fact that it's a very stylized painting. I'm looking for something that captures the character, while also being representational of how you'd normally see them.

Here's what I'm thinking:
guts_small.jpg

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Wow yes, that one would fit the bill in my opinion, better then what I had in mind. (I was thinking of something like when he gets out to fight for the first time on the Seahorse)

btw your choice for Griffith looks good too!

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
Walter said:
The image I'm leaning toward right now is similar to Volume 17's, which unfortunately doesn't have the characteristics of a portrait due to the lettering, Puck's placement and the fact that it's a very stylized painting. I'm looking for something that captures the character, while also being representational of how you'd normally see this character.

Here's what I'm thinking:
guts_small.jpg

I wouldn't use that one, honestly. It makes it seem that Guts is altruistic, which he isn't. I'd go for one that has a balance of Guts being awesome and flawed at the same time.

I don't have all my volumes on me since I lent volumes past 27 to a friend. Those inserts/ posters that come with each volume have anything you can use perhaps?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Johnstantine said:
I wouldn't use that one, honestly. It makes it seem that Guts is altruistic, which he isn't.
That seems a little presumptuous. It's just Guts looking up. Anyway, Guts has altruistic qualities.

IncantatioN said:
I don't have all my volumes on me since I lent volumes past 27 to a friend. Those inserts/ posters that come with each volume have anything you can use perhaps?
Yes, I'm aware of the color illustrations and paintings inside each newer volume. But I'm asking YOU for ideas.

So far all the suggestions have been volume covers and posters. For the main characters we can suggest black and white correct? Would you perfer the central cast to all be Miura colorings? It might seem off to have Guts and Griffith in color, while Casca is in black and white.

I suggest Casca under the Band of the Hawk flag after taking "Dorwey Castle" is it? Casca being held up by her company.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
I was thinking this for Guts. He has that caring look as he is looking at Casca, but at the same time for those who know the pic he just has managed to kill those possessed heretics.

profilear.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Death May Die said:
So far all the suggestions have been volume covers and posters. For the main characters we can suggest black and white correct? Would you perfer the central cast to all be Miura colorings? It might seem off to have Guts and Griffith in color, while Casca is in black and white.
Like I said in the first post, it can really be anything that Miura himself created, but if there are color options by him then I'd prefer to use those. Particularly because of the reason you mention above: parity.

I suggest Casca under the Band of the Hawk flag after taking "Dorwey Castle" is it? Casca being held up by her company.
Cool scene, but it's Doldrey. And smiling is a pretty rare expression on Casca, so I don't think that qualifies as an image that defines her. It's just a nice picture.

I was thinking:
casca_small.jpg

Which I think works particularly well since it's Guts own image of Casca. Unless there are color versions of Casca that work better, of course.

Johnstantine

Skibbidy Boo Bop
TheBranded1 said:
I was thinking this for Guts. He has that caring look as he is looking at Casca, but at the same time for those who know the pic he just has managed to kill those possessed heretics.

profilear.jpg

I really like this one.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
I was thinking:
casca_small.jpg

Which I think works particularly well since it's Guts own image of Casca. Unless there are color versions of Casca that work better, of course.

That's the image of Casca I had in mind, as well.

Nxa

The Struggler is unleashed.
TheBranded1 said:

profilear.jpg

Oh yeah!
Funny thing: I have a desktop wallpaper of the actual scene where he cuts through the heretics and stands next to Casca, and I cherish it as one of the highest emotional peaks in the series. Yet, off I went to completely other directions - albeit I didn't need to look any further than my computer screen.

What's cool is that this picture captures Guts in a time, when his a man on a mission, passionate and determined. Even though his grim 'Black Swordsman'-days were awesome and a remarkably relevant part of his story, it makes jolly decent justice to him not being presented as just vaguely wandering and stygian demon slayer.

I like the ones people have posted so far!

I'll contribute with some other ones I think are good too:

Casca.png

Cascab.png

Charlotte.png

Corkus.png

Farneze.png

Godo.png

Griffith.png

Irvine.png

Isidro.png

Jill.png

Judo.png

Locus.png

Luca.png

Nina.png

Pippin.png

Puck.png

Rakshas.png

Rochine.png

Schierke.png

Serpico.png

Sonia.png

Zodd.png

They are 200 x 200 px, as requested.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It's interesting to get other people's perspective on what defines Guts. Personally, I think that image is a little loaded to work as a portrait though—the beads of sweat, and the look in his eyes has a contextual meaning that's specific to that one scene, and not to his character as a whole.

Really, there are so many colored images of Guts that it's more likely that I'll choose one of those over anything just black and white.

Instead of getting hung up on him though, what about all the other characters?

Arles said:
I like the ones people have posted so far!

I'll contribute with some other ones I think are good too:
Thanks! You just did a lot of the work for me. Most of these I'd also chosen, or at least set aside in a special folder for consideration. I'll give a per character breakdown on my thoughts:

Casca1: This is also the color one that I like, and will likely choose.
Casca2: Could also work, though I gravitate to her Falcons persona more right now, since her current look and persona is a little transient
Charlotte: Doesn't resemble her enough, even though this came from Miura's own hand
Carcus: I don't think a smiling picture of Carcus is definitive for him. A scowl maybe. There is another color illustration by Miura that works a little better I think.
Farnese: I actually prefer the one in the inside corner of Volume 24: http://www.skullknight.net/encyclopedia/world/characters/farnese_small.jpg Mostly because it's not as contextual as the one of her next to a fire
Godot: I like it, I only wish it were higher quality and less grainy... Miura needs to release another artbook...
Griffith: I prefer the one I chose earlier. Similar to what a member said of Guts earlier, I think the one you've chosen looks a little too altruistic. The look on his face doesn't convey all that it could about Griffith's character.
Irvine: Yep.
Isidro: This might be the best choice. What do you think of this though? http://www.skullknight.net/encyclopedia/world/characters/isidro_small.jpg
Jill: I wonder if a black and white illustration would be best. This one hardly resembles the Jill I know.
Judo: Yep.
Locus:Yep.
Luca: Maybe. Though in color, I don't think it captures her well.
Nina: Same as above.
Pippin: It's a toss up between this and http://www.skullknight.net/encyclopedia/world/characters/pippin_small.jpg for me
Puck: I... will probably choose this one. But that image always makes me a little uncomfortable. Just such a gross, un-Puck like expression.
Rakshas:Yep.
Rochine Nah, having her in her human form doesn't really work for the purposes of this. Should be in her apostle form, just not fully transformed.
Schierke: This one really captures her well. My first choice was this though: http://www.skullknight.net/encyclopedia/world/characters/schierke_small.jpg
Serpico: I think this one's a little too uncharacteristically cool to define Serpico.
Sonia: Yep.
Zodd: I prefer http://www.skullknight.net/encyclopedia/world/characters/zodd.jpg for the emotion that it captures for Zodd.

Walter said:
Carcus: I don't think a smiling picture of Carcus is definitive for him. A scowl maybe. There is another color illustration by Miura that works a little better I think.
Mmm... maybe you are right. Though I don't see it as a regular "happy" smile. I see it more like a "smartass" grimace. And I always though of him like that.

Farnese: I actually prefer the one in the inside corner of Volume 24: http://www.skullknight.net/encyclopedia/world/characters/farnese_small.jpg Mostly because it's not as contextual as the one of her next to a fire
Yeah, go with that one: it's far better.

Griffith: I prefer the one I chose earlier. Similar to what a member said of Guts earlier, I think the one you've chosen looks a little too altruistic. The look on his face doesn't convey all that it could about Griffith's character.
I understand. It works for the stage of the story it's portraying, I think.

Isidro: This might be the best choice. What do you think of this though? http://www.skullknight.net/encyclopedia/world/characters/isidro_small.jpg
The devious expression works better for him, I think, considering his role to the storytelling.

Jill: I wonder if a black and white illustration would be best. This one hardly resembles the Jill I know.
You are probably right.

Luca: Maybe. Though in color, I don't think it captures her well.
Nina: Same as above.
Really? I like these a lot, haha.

Pippin: It's a toss up between this and http://www.skullknight.net/encyclopedia/world/characters/pippin_small.jpg for me
I think it could go either way. The front picture helps recognizing him more, though.

Puck: I... will probably choose this one. But that image always makes me a little uncomfortable. Just such a gross, un-Puck like expression.
Yeah, something odd with that smile, haha.

Schierke: This one really captures her well. My first choice was this though: http://www.skullknight.net/encyclopedia/world/characters/schierke_small.jpg
That could work too. I'm not sure about the angle, though.

Serpico: I think this one's a little too uncharacteristically cool to define Serpico.
Yes, maybe one with his trademark closed eyes?

Zodd: I prefer http://www.skullknight.net/encyclopedia/world/characters/zodd.jpg for the emotion that it captures for Zodd.
True. I dig the angle in this one, though, since it looks like Zodd is so big you have to look at him from below.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Here's how things are going so far. Still plenty of holes to fill: CLICK . I've rescanned the vast majority myself, some were taken from posters, volume covers, artbooks, trading card game, etc.

Still oscillating on whether they should ALL be black and white for uniformity... :???: And then I look at how great Isidro's image turned out... wow!

Ignore the text. It's all going to be rewritten from scratch.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
They all look pretty good. The only one I thought was not as great was Rickert,but that's just me. Are you going to make a list here of the remaining pictures you need, that way we might be able to help if you need the help.

Top Bottom