Guts and the Moonlight Boy

Hey Guys, I've been wondering about something for the past few days so I finally decided to make a thread and see what you guys think about it. I realize that this is highly speculative but for the sake of discussion let's assume for a minute that :
1) Femto cant control any of the actions of the child, when the child takes over
2) Femto is vulnerable when the child takes over

Now let's say someone that Guts trusts (for example the Skullknight) comes and tells Guts that this boy is the host that Griffith uses in order to walk in this world. Killing the child would bring Guts his revenge and he would in fact kill Griffith. The only problem is that this child is his and Casca's son. He has helped Guts through out all his journey and the only thing that it wants is to be near his parents.
My question is this. The next time Guts meets the child do you guys think that he would kill it knowing all this stuff ? Or would he simply hold back waiting for a another chance.

At this point I think he would ultimately hold back. Especially if Casca and the others are present.

However, I think your second assumption won't hold up. The boy (and thereby Griffith, in this scenario), was able to stop berserker Guts just by standing in front of him in his astral form. He can simply teleport away for all we know (or how did he get to the branches in 331?). So I don't think He is that vulnerable.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
The nature of Griffith and the boy is part of what I think will make the ultimate conflict so emotionally difficult. Because beyond actually vanquishing Griffith/Femto, there's the fact Guts & Casca's son might die too. And I don't think Guts could bring himself to do it easily if he knew what that entailed. They've had a "complicated" relationship, but he does care for his son more than he's been willing to admit in the past.

And so this illustrates how tremendously important the boy is, because he's both a terrible weakness for Griffith/Femto right now (see how he made Griffith act without him realizing it to protect his mother in volume 22), but at the same time he's also a huge obstacle to Guts' confrontation with his arch enemy. There are different ways it could be resolved (with the boy sacrificing himself, asking his father to kill him anyway, surviving the fatal strike somehow, being separated from Femto beforehand, etc.), but until it actually happens we're sure to be on the edge of our seats. And of course it goes without saying that Casca is likely to be absolutely against bringing harm to their child in any way whatsoever.

Gaahl said:
However, I think your second assumption won't hold up. The boy (and thereby Griffith, in this scenario), was able to stop berserker Guts just by standing in front of him in his astral form.
I would have to disagree with you here, the boy didn't exactly stop Guts using force. It brought him back to his senses, Guts didn't want to harm them but he couldn't really control his actions.
Gaahl said:
So I don't think He is that vulnerable.
I have to agree with you, we simply don't know much about the boy right now.

Aazealh said:
The nature of Griffith and the boy is part of what I think will make the ultimate conflict so emotionally difficult. Because beyond actually vanquishing Griffith/Femto, there's the fact Guts & Casca's son might die too. And I don't think Guts could bring himself to do it easily if he knew what that entailed. They've had a "complicated" relationship, but he does care for his son more than he's been willing to admit in the past.

And so this illustrates how tremendously important the boy is, because he's both a terrible weakness for Griffith/Femto right now (see how he made Griffith act without him realizing it to protect his mother in volume 22), but at the same time he's also a huge obstacle to Guts' confrontation with his arch enemy. There are different ways it could be resolved (with the boy sacrificing himself, asking his father to kill him anyway, surviving the fatal strike somehow, being separated from Femto beforehand, etc.), but until it actually happens we're sure to be on the edge of our seats. And of course it goes without saying that Casca is likely to be absolutely against bringing harm to their child in any way whatsoever.

Thank you for this post Aazealh, it gave me a lot to think about.

Wyrm

HEMA
Aazealh said:
see how he made Griffith act without him realizing it to protect his mother in volume 22

How do you know that Griffith acted without knowing? What are the visual clues for that? I ask because there are a lot of things that I can't see quite the same way as everybody else and maybe it's me that is missing some crucial visual clues or oomatopoeias...

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Wyrm said:
How do you know that Griffith acted without knowing? What are the visual clues for that? I ask because there are a lot of things that I can't see quite the same way as everybody else and maybe it's me that is missing some crucial visual clues or oomatopoeias...

For me it was in his face, in his silence. And then he says something like my heart should have frozen. (and you kinda hear is heart beat) I don't have the volume with me so far but it was pretty obvious to me when it happen.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Wyrm said:
How do you know that Griffith acted without knowing? What are the visual clues for that?

Do you want me to post the pages? It's all pretty obvious, and Griffith explicitly reflects on it too...

Wyrm

HEMA
I was thinking that maybe page/panel would be enough.
And everything obvious should be really easy to point out.
This is really an honest question as I only have 1 read of Berserk and thus I defer to people who clearly devoted much more time reading, enjoying and dissecting the manga.

Edit: ok, just found my own answer. When Griffith is flying away, his hand rests on his heart, the next panel is him protecting Casca and the following one is a panel depicting the Child. I missed it the first time, my apologies.

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Wyrm said:
I was thinking that maybe page/panel would be enough.
And everything obvious should be really easy to point out.
This is really an honest question as I only have 1 read of Berserk and thus I defer to people who clearly devoted much more time reading, enjoying and dissecting the manga.

Edit: ok, just found my own answer. When Griffith is flying away, his hand rests on his heart, the next panel is him protecting Casca and the following one is a panel depicting the Child. I missed it the first time, my apologies.

Don't worry about it, I've been there as probably many readers anyway. I'm glad you rechecked your volume. Keep rereading! Hanging on this board made me realize a lot of things I didn't understand at first read (thx a lot to Aaz, Walter, Griffith and a bunch of others that helped me understand better the series.)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Wyrm said:

No problem. Just remember that when in doubt, re-reading is always the first step to take. :serpico:

Top Bottom