Skullknight.NET Podcast: Episode 25

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Episode 25 (12/2/2012): Griffith (3)

We finally spend time wrapping up our discussion of Griffith and what his legacy will be once the series is over. We also discuss Sonia's powers and her role in the story, and why Zodd intervened at Doldrey and with Wyald. Tons of video game talk, Walter's Steam Vault, and more than an hour of Skyfall spoilers at the back end.

Podcast Notes:
0:01:00 Griffith
0:37:15 Sonia
0:53:00 Zodd's intentions
1:15:25 Video Games (Diablo 3, Darksiders, Assassin's Creed 3, Paper Mario, Cargo Commander)
1:50:45 Member questions
2:03:30 Bond: Skyfall [SPOILERS]

Related:
http://www.skullknight.net/griffdeath/
http://www.skullknight.net/griffith/ThornbirdSE.jpg

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Big one today, and Wally and I kept babbling about Bond and Breaking Bad for about a half hour after the tape stopped rolling. The common link being the idea that Connery's Bond movies are almost like a TV series the way you follow the character over the long term, so it's hard for a single film or episode to capture it. The essence of why Connery is so great as Bond is strewn over all those films.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Ha haaaa! And I was just thinking about that "griffdeath" link. I can't tell you how many times I've seen the damn thing and always laugh. Good times.

Also, I've been doing some serious searching on Podcasts lately (new job is about 1 hour and a half away), and I have to say that this cast puts lots of the "top podcasts" into the ground. Most topics I've heard besides news are complete rubbish and horrible jokes. I'm glad you guys are continuing this.

Really enjoyed this one! (They've all been really good though) :ubik:
Interesting discussion especially about Zodd. Do you guys think that if the scenario were Zodd intervened because he was aware of the IoE's plan was true, that Zodd would of known that Femto would become the ultimate strong one? That would explain Zodd's want to intervene in the events, but do you guys think that would imply that Zodd thought he was equal to (or stronger) than the God hand before the eclipse?

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Loved this week's Berserk discussion, guys. Keep up the great job.

I especially enjoyed your predictions about Griffith's future.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks guys. I thought we had a fantastic Griffith talk. A few technical issues and scheduling problems aside (I had to sneak away twice to take care of my son, so the show was on autopilot for the end of the Zodd talk and beginning of Video Games), it was a great episode.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Headofbowl said:
Do you guys think that if the scenario were Zodd intervened because he was aware of the IoE's plan was true

I really don't think that was the case to be honest.

There are three podcasts I follow closely: this one, Giant Bomb's Gaming Podcast and a Swedish podcast where two comedians talk about random stuff. The Skullkast is, without a doubt, the best out of those three! This podcast is always very fun and informative to listen to, especially when it comes to your discussions about Berserk. I'm so glad you guys are doing this! Keep up the good work.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Headofbowl said:
Really enjoyed this one! (They've all been really good though) :ubik:
Interesting discussion especially about Zodd. Do you guys think that if the scenario were Zodd intervened because he was aware of the IoE's plan was true, that Zodd would of known that Femto would become the ultimate strong one? That would explain Zodd's want to intervene in the events, but do you guys think that would imply that Zodd thought he was equal to (or stronger) than the God hand before the eclipse?
Sorry, that sounds pretty convoluted to me, and there isn't any evidence to support it. It also isn't supported by the way Zodd's character is portrayed.

EeXerO said:
There are three podcasts I follow closely: this one, Giant Bomb's Gaming Podcast and a Swedish podcast where two comedians talk about random stuff. The Skullkast is, without a doubt, the best out of those three! This podcast is always very fun and informative to listen to, especially when it comes to your discussions about Berserk. I'm so glad you guys are doing this! Keep up the good work.
Thank you! The Bombcast is my favorite podcast, and I started this podcast mostly because I got sick of listening to just video game discussion, and wished there was a show out there that focused on Berserk. That being said, on the Bombcast, those guys could be talking about geography or something and it wouldn't matter to me. It's always entertaining.

Anyway, there are still many improvements to make before I'd feel comfortable comparing the SkullKast to something like the Bombcast. We're not three guys talking in one room. We're talking over Skype, and that creates handicaps in how things go. It's a technical limitation, but also one that hinders the natural flow of conversation. For example, on Skype you can't have two people talking at once, or making noise at once. One person will get priority, and the other person gets muted out. The result is a sort of hiccup in what's recorded. I've been experimenting with other ways of recording to get past this, and we'll see how successful they are in the future.

Great podcast! I particularly like the discussion about Zodd.

One thought that came to mind when you were discussing Griffith's end was him thinking, even for a moment, about a quiet life with Casca looking after him, young Guts and Pippin the dog, and wondering if perhaps that would have been a better life; that at that point he would think of something he once considered so despicable in a completely different way. I know it's not going to happen, it was just a thought I had.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Great podcast! Like everyone else, I loved all the Griffith/Sonia/Zodd talk. And Griff, I chucklesnorted at your comparing D3 to Farmville. I can really see where you're coming from there, but hey, at least you're playing a game with much better art, and not so many carrots. Oh, the carrots... :judo: That makes me think that Blizzard should get into some sort of gifting system to get people coming back. I'll send you a page of jewelcrafting if you send me a limited-edition Christmas cow! :ganishka:

Walter said:
Sorry, that sounds pretty convoluted to me, and there isn't any evidence to support it. It also isn't supported by the way Zodd's character is portrayed.

Yeah, sorry It was at about half 3am when I posted it (because I live in the UK when the podcast comes on it's usually about 1am for me) so I blabbed a little.The podcast just got me thinking about Zodd's relation to the God Hand before the eclipse because Zodd was at the very least aware of the God Hand, and still looking for the ultimate strong one I just put two and two together. Like you say though there isn't any evidence to support it, it's just interesting to speculate about how Zodd feels about the God Hand.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Great podcast, guys! I really enjoyed the Zodd discussion. It got me thinking about his intervention with Wyald in a whole new way, which is one thing I love about the Skullkast; it's always fun learning new things about Berserk.

I think I must be the only person in the world who didn't enjoy Skyfall. :farnese:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone who has seen Golden Age II is invited on the show for this weekend's recording to discuss it. Send a PM and we'll sort out the specifics. Thanks in advance!

The only way I would go on is if I can speak entirely in the Acadian/Cajun dialect of French to mess with Aazealh (I'm half Acadian/Cajun and only speak English and that dialect).

In all seriousness though, great job with the podcasts.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
TelegramSam said:
The only way I would go on is if I can speak entirely in the Acadian/Cajun dialect of French to mess with Aazealh (I'm half Acadian/Cajun and only speak English and that dialect).

Oh bah si tu veux mon nègre, on laisserait les bons temps rouler. :iva:

I hope people on the podcast reviewing the 2nd movie understood all the dialog being said! I know dialog isn't going to change what happens in a scene (differing from the manga) but it'll be an incomplete review like watching a Finnish movie with no subtitles (if that makes sense?).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
I hope people on the podcast reviewing the 2nd movie understood all the dialog being said! I know dialog isn't going to change what happens in a scene (differing from the manga) but it'll be an incomplete review like watching a Finnish movie with no subtitles (if that makes sense?).
Maybe if youre not familiar with the series at all. But after reading it for over a decade, I think I know pretty much every line in this section...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
IncantatioN said:
I hope people on the podcast reviewing the 2nd movie understood all the dialog being said!

I hope all the people "reviewing" the movie in the dedicated thread understood all the dialogue being said.

Yeah Aazealh, I agree. My Japanese lingual skills are close to nothing, so I'm waiting on a subbed version of the movie (sadly my BR is still sealed because of this). I hope those users have taken the dialog into consideration.

Walter said:
Maybe if youre not familiar with the series at all. But after reading it for over a decade, I think I know pretty much every line in this section...

Heh, true but honestly if Guts said something it doesn't mean he said exactly what was said in the manga. I was referring to the Japanese lingual skills in my post earlier, I apologize for the confusion. I believe you, Griffith, Aazealh are good at the lingual aspect too. Most reviews so far don't tackle the aspect of what's being said.

This doesn't pertain exclusively to this episode but I must say that I've thoroughly enjoyed the podcast. You come for the Berserk insights and stay for Griffith's puns :ganishka: (I also think that my favorite quip so far has been, with the risk of slightly misquoting: "as far as lost chapters go, it's far from being Guts goes to the market").

Top Bottom