What other anime/manga do you enjoy/watch?

Didn't see another thread specifically for this and was a bit surprised considering Berserks medium, but maybe it's just so leaps and bounds ahead of everything else noones needs any other shows or comics. :guts:

Just curious what other anime people here are a fan of besides Berserk and what people are currently watching (if anything). I've enjoyed Gunbuster, the new Hellsing movies, Gurren Lagann, Bebop and Baccano! just to name a few.

I honestly roll my eyes whenever I see the new seasons anime but I'm currently watching Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, it's pretty fun. Though I haven't been able to find much to watch in recent seasons, Fate/Zero was pretty cool along with Madoka. I'm a big Evangelion fan and anxiously waiting to see the new 3.0 movie. Besides Berserk for manga I also read Dorohedoro, Vagabond and sometimes Gantz (though it has gotten even more ridiculous as of late).

Well like alot of others here on the forum I read and enjoy Vagabond. Others are: Vinland Saga, sometimes Gantz. And Bleach... although I dont really enjoy that anymore, if I ever did. Its more that I continue reading it since it was my first manga and anime that I read/watched... (Berserk being my second manga)

So if anybody got some advice on other good manga I should read, I would really appreciate it!

Bleach was one I used to follow on and off and still check up on every once in awhile just to see how ridiculous it's gotten like I think many do. I really need to read Vinland Saga, have heard good things. If i can recommend a manga I'd have to go with Dorohedoro ! It's dark/gory which doesn't seem to be a problem based on your other manga and it's actually surprisingly funny and whacky. The universe is pretty cool and fleshed out aswell.

As an anime fan since the late 90's, I'd be glad to steer you toward some other series. If you like Berserk, you may want to check out Bastard!! I've taken a lot of shit for being a fan of it, but the artwork is amazing and it's just a fun read. It's not high art in the way that Berserk aspires to be, but if you're into dark fantasy it's worth looking at. Viz put out the manga to volume 19, but unfortunately it's been cancelled and no one is translating it online. It also had an OVA series that was cancelled due to the mangaka being arrested that is worth watching. Also, Hagiwara (the mangaka) has battled drug addiction and alcoholism, and doesn't seem to be worried about ever finishing it. There was one year where literally 2 new episodes came out.

Of course the old Young King Ours mangas are worthwhile, those being Trigun and Hellsing (and both have decent anime series based on them) which were released by Dark Horse. Lupin III is an all time classic manga, which Viz has released. Some of the Lupin movies are great, and the first two tv series are great. Pioneer released some of the episodes, but the others have been fansubbed. I would also recommend the original Akira manga and basically anything by Otomo, if you haven't checked those out.

As far as pure anime go, Legend of Black Heaven (which is about an aging garage band saving the world from aliens) is great. Also check out all of Miyazaki's stuff if you haven't. If you haven't seen Cowboy Bebop, of course watch it, but if you have then check out Gunsmith Cats which was an OVA that was sort of its prototype. Vision of Escaflowne, Noir and Flame of Recca are also great anime.
For the all time, ALL TIME, best nothing can beat Macross. Check out the original TV series, Macross: DYRL and Macross Plus; the newer Macross is awful.

Finally, if you like Evangelion you should check out Shin Getter Ideon. It was the direct inspiration for Eva, done by most of the original Gundam team. It has never been domestically released, but was fully fansubbed and you can find it easy enough online of course. If you watch it followed by 2001: A Space Odyssey it may make you hate Eva though, when you realize that Hideaki Anno basically stole End of Evangelion frame by frame. I was an Evangelion and Gainax fan dating back to the VHS fansub days, and it ruined the series for me. It's still good, just not as groundbreaking or original as a lot of people like to believe it is.

I really like Hunter x Hunter.

Check out this thread, for more Manga recommendations. http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=9911.125

I've been watching anime since the mid 90's as well :guts:
My taste in anime is rather...eclectic...but some personal favorites, (aside from Berserk of course), off the top of my head include:
Cowboy Bebop
Death Note
Monster
Evangelion
Trigun
Loveless
Mushishi
Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales/Mononoke
Song of Wind and Trees
Black Butler
GTO
FLCL

I really enojoyed Slam Dunk and Battle Royale mangas. As for anime One Piece(don't read manga), FMA:B, Hajime no Ippo, Death Note and few others. But Berserk still the best. :guts:

"I've been watching anime since the mid 90's as well" Do you remember that old Streamline anime VHS of the month club? I saw that commercial on TV for Akira, signed up and was hooked. I then bought the first few issues of the old Viz Ranma 1/2 manga and the Marvel Comics version of Akira at my local comic shop, met some fellow fans who traded fansubs, and that was that. I'm guessing that was around 95 maybe because it was far enough back that you could also sign up for laserdiscs from Streamline. I got the Internet in 97 and never looked back. What I do find amazing is that the whole VHS fansubbing culture spurred forward domestic releases, and now online fansubs have almost killed it off. Technology be damned, I want more anime blu-rays! I also forgot to mention one more title that is truly great if you like fantasy oriented anime, Record of Lodoss War.

TelegramSam said:
"I've been watching anime since the mid 90's as well" Do you remember that old Streamline anime VHS of the month club? I saw that commercial on TV for Akira, signed up and was hooked. I then bought the first few issues of the old Viz Ranma 1/2 manga and the Marvel Comics version of Akira at my local comic shop, met some fellow fans who traded fansubs, and that was that. I'm guessing that was around 95 maybe because it was far enough back that you could also sign up for laserdiscs from Streamline. I got the Internet in 97 and never looked back. What I do find amazing is that the whole VHS fansubbing culture spurred forward domestic releases, and now online fansubs have almost killed it off. Technology be damned, I want more anime blu-rays! I also forgot to mention one more title that is truly great if you like fantasy oriented anime, Record of Lodoss War.

I had a friend in high school was a member of an anime of the month club-I wonder if that was it? I remember borrowing his version of Akira. My first conscious exposure to anime was a late night block of 'japanime' that aired on a Canadian TV station that we sometimes, (if the stars all aligned and the wind was just right :serpico: ), got. The picture was 50% static 50% of the time, but I always stayed up to watch it.

I used to really be into anime and manga when I was younger. Not so much these days. If it weren't for Berserk I'd probably have absolutely no contact with the world of anime/manga. Back in the day my guilty pleasure was Yu-Gi-Oh!. But I absolutely loved two series: .hack//Sign and Kino's Journey. Now that I think about it I should probably go back and watch them again sometime. . .

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I've said so on the SkullKast, but I don't actively watch or read any series other than Berserk. I retroactively read Vagabond and REAL as Viz release them (once a year), and I read Walking Dead monthly until issue 100 a few months back, when I sort of lost my taste for it. And I'll probably return to it once they're a full trade paperback away.

I perused many series before landing on Berserk and falling in love, so to speak. My very first anime was Akira, rented from Blockbuster. Then Ghost in the Shell. Then dozens and dozens of other things that I'm sure all 90s anime fans watched: Ranma 1/2, Bubblegum Crisis, Evangelion (which i watched as it was being released stateside by ADV) Rurouni Kenshin (one of the longtime members here did fansubs for the OVAs as they came out in Japan, and translated the latter half of the series, long before it came over here), Slam Dunk, and then shortly after that, Berserk.

Since finding Berserk in 1999, I've also tried out a few things, but the only thing that I genuinely enjoyed was Blame, and I haven't enjoyed anything the author has done since then.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
For me, the big three have always been Berserk, Vagabond and Blame. Really top anything else I've read, though Walking Dead is also fun (except for issue 100... :judo:). Other than that, I've watched the big 80s/90s classics that everybody likes. I'm kinda interested in checking out JoJo's Bizarre Adventure because Darklink is such a big fan, and I really oughta get serious about One Piece, but I'll admit I'm a bit intimidated by the length. :ganishka:

Oburi

All praise Grail
I also don't keep up with anime and manga much anymore. I will check a new movie once in a while if it seems interesting. For example, I bought Redline on dvd a few months ago but still haven't got around to watching it yet.

The only other manga that I keep up with is Eden, which I bring up every now and again because I think it's severely underrated. Like Walter I also loved Blame!, although I didn't finish reading it. I never read manga online anymore and ever since the books were discontinued, I never got the chance to buy the books to read the rest. It's a shame because I loved the first few books. But also like Walter I could never really get into his other works.

Here is some images from Eden.

eden4.jpg
eden5f.jpg
eden3w.jpg

eden8.jpg
eden7.jpg

Now tell me that doesn't look like some gritty good scifi!

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Oburi said:
That sure does look good! I read through a little bit of Eden but had some trouble getting into that, I should give it another try sometime. :guts:

Anyway, Tsutomu Nihei never really surpassed Blame in my opinion, but Biomega and what I've read of Abara have come close. The thing about Nihei is, you really have to buy into his explanation for things, on top of the crazy pacing. Half the time I have no idea what's going on, but somehow manage to enjoy myself! :ganishka:

Oburi said:
I have to admit that this looks really good, thanks for the recommendation i´ll check it out. I should also read Blame! , judging from the previous comments it must be good.

I mostly read Vagabond,Real,Slam Dunk,Eden,Black Lagoon,Jormungand and some more titles.Most of stuff I've read/seen are here http://www.anime-planet.com/users/Lukijs

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Eden was pretty damn good, I finally picked it up after all the prodding from Oburi over the years of reading his anime/manga posts. :troll: The new JoJo anime is a good starting point for new fans I think, it's fun, over-the-top, and later on will have some really crazy fights. Oh, and if we're posting our off-site "look how much time I've wasted" things I'll post my anime list I guess.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Dar_Klink

Lately I've been getting into mecha a lot more than I ever have before. Watched Getter Robo Armageddon, Space Runaway Ideon(the series that Eva was the most influenced by), GiTS:SAC, and I'm watching Gundam, GaoGaiGar, and Shin Getter Robo.

I think all Berserk fans should check out the original Devilman manga by Go Nagai, along with having some similarities with Berserk and influencing it in some ways it has some of the best paneling/scene composition I've seen in manga.
http://imgur.com/a/bHNwO

I've been watching Japanese anime and reading manga for quite a while, but to be honest once I read the Berserk manga in the mid 2000's I haven't really found many other stories to that level of quality. There are films and comics that are still fun to read/watch, just not on the level that Berserk has touched me emotionally or the respect for it's creator. That's not to say that there isn't anything else decent; here are some I have a soft spot for and I have really enjoyed over the years:

Japanese anime:
1. Slayers (probably my second favorite to Berserk)
2. Robot Carnival
3. Project A-KO
4. Sexy Commando
5. Princess Mononoke
6. Now & Then, Here & There
7. Dominion Tank Police
8. Azumanga Daioh
9. Serial Experiments: Lain
10. Golden Boy

Manga:
1. Lone Wolf & Cub
2. Monster
3. Death Note
4. Uzumaki
5. Gantz
6. Doubt (by Yoshiki Tonogai, not to be confused with Doubt!!)
7. Love Hina
8. Nana
9. Strawberry Marshmallow
10. Panorama of Hell

Draculoid said:
Bleach was one I used to follow on and off and still check up on every once in awhile just to see how ridiculous it's gotten like I think many do.

You think right.

Draculoid said:
I really need to read Vinland Saga, have heard good things.

Then I need to add my suggestion onto theirs. Maybe it will be enough to push you over that edge to actually start reading. I promise you, the story is so good that once you start you will be unable to stop. Everything you read with Askeladd you are going to love. He is an amazing character, one of my favorites.

Best anime I ever watched has to be Legend of galactic heroes. It’s a space opera, very mature, lot of politics, grand battles and no clichés. I would also recommend Planets, Seirei no Moribito, 12 Kingdoms, Shiki, Now and Then Here and There and from this season Psycho Pass and Shin Sekai Yori.
Favorite movies: Spirited Away, Princes Mononoke, Sword of the Stranger, Akira, Vampire hunter D bloodlust

For manga I'll add to the recommendation of Vinland Saga. Historie is a great manga set in the times of Alexander the Great, follows the life of one of his generals. I also read Eden, Blade of the immortal, Shingeki no Kyojin (very suspenseful and fast paced), Dorohedoro (really crazy black humor manga).

I've really gotten into Satoshi Kon's movies lately. Perfect Blue was really good and Millennium Actress was even better. Its a real shame that he died so young into his career.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
JoeZeon said:
I've really gotten into Satoshi Kon's movies lately. Perfect Blue was really good and Millennium Actress was even better. Its a real shame that he died so young into his career.
A damn shame indeed. I really hope that his final project can be completed soon, especially since the founder of Madhouse created a new animation studio to do so.

JoeZeon said:

I enjoy his films as well. I think I might be in the minority on this one but I liked Tokyo Godfathers best.

Top Bottom