Skullknight.NET Podcast: Episode 28

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Episode 28 (01/03/2013): Casca

We dive into Casca's development as a character and what the future may hold for her and Guts. And despite no planning or research, we pull this episode off with panache. Walter complains about his awesome PC, and we talk about PC vs Consoles. That's all that I remember. Jump in for the rest!

Podcast Notes:
0:00:19 Casca
0:52:56 Video Games/Movies
1:43:57 Outtakes

Oburi

All praise Grail
I must say I agree with you guys completely on The Witcher. When I started playing Witcher 2 I loved it a lot. However like Aaz said, I like to do EVERYTHING in the game, and I like to do it the right way (either good or evil). In that game there were many things that were ambiguous as to how a certain side quest could be done and before I knew it I had completed quests prematurely because of confusing decisions. As the game went on I was getting more and more pissed at myself for missing things or taking things in the wrong direction (it was giving me OCD). So i put it down for a while, and that turned out to be forever.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Following up on Walter's point about Star Trek fans, this classic:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x930vt_william-shatner-snl-skit-get-a-life_fun#.UPOheKzlkgc

:ganishka:

No comment on the potential parallels with Berserk fandom, but this would be like when I question Miura face to face about page 1 of the series along with Theresia's potential eventual return. :griffnotevil:

Oburi said:
I must say I agree with you guys completely on The Witcher.

Yeah, but no comment on The Hobbit or fantasy, in which your name is dropped as essentially the last defender of Middle Earth? :slan: You should be convincing me and Wally to see this.

Great podcast!

Something that left me wondering, though, is the thought of Miura's realization of Casca's importance in the story since the very beggining.

I think G made a very interesting point saying that the fact that the Demon Child is near Guts in the first Kuroi Kishi Arc might be an indication that Casca's character was in the back of Miura's mind. At least as "the female character, mother of Guts tainted child".

I guess we can't affirm for sure if he already knew Griffith had been the one who made the baby that way and all that happened later, but since we actually see this very important character (demon child) being there, it's not so crazy to assume that Miura knew who he was and why he was like that.

I think my point with this is: I would say Miura knew about "the idea of Casca" before Volume 4, even if he didn't know how her personality was or how she looked like.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Arles said:
I think G made a very interesting point saying that the fact that the Demon Child is near Guts in the first Kuroi Kishi Arc might be an indication that Casca's character was in the back of Miura's mind. At least as "the female character, mother of Guts tainted child".
The child could have turned out to be any number of things though. It certainly doesn't imply the existence of someone like Casca. We know that Miura plans ahead for many, many things. But I think at the time of its initial inclusion, the child could have simply been an open variable that he hadn't decided on.

Walter said:
But I think at the time of its initial inclusion, the child could have simply been an open variable that he hadn't decided on.

True.
But the Child does appear in the very first episode of the whole manga. And Guts says "You again...", and it looks like the child wants to reach out to Guts.

Miura decided to start the story with Guts, an Apostle, Puck, The Child and The Brand as main topics/interests.

I don't know, I think he knew where he was goin, but that's just my opinion.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Griffith said:
Yeah, but no comment on The Hobbit or fantasy, in which your name is dropped as essentially the last defender of Middle Earth? :slan: You should be convincing me and Wally to see this.

Ah, well in that case ill have to go back and finish it. :guts:

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Love the Casca talk. As for her condition or state if you will, I fully get when comparing her act that of a child only because it's hard to find a more concrete analogy. I've always compared her state as that of an Alzheimer patient (note that I am not implying this being her condition), but to the point of a "stage 3" in which memory is almost fully lost including basic things as speech, hygene etc. But hints of their persona remains intact. At least, that's how I've always imagined it.

As for when she regains herself? I was always under the speculation that it won't be a fast one. Perhaps she may gain her memory back, but being in her state as it is for so long has to bring consequences one way or the other. But I can always be very wrong. :schnoz:

And Walter. Here's all you need to see from the original Start Trek:

http://youtu.be/avTfiRccYIA

You're good now, on with TNG!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Nomad said:
And Walter. Here's all you need to see from the original Start Trek:

http://youtu.be/avTfiRccYIA

You're good now, on with TNG!

Oh, think you're pretty funny huh Mr. Smarty-Pants? Well, it's time to bring this whole Casca/Star Trek topic home. Behold the worst TOS episode ever:

Spock's Brain :ganishka:

I only hope Guts doesn't have to go through so much to restore Casca's brain, but if Miura does release an episode called "Casca's Brain," know that the end is near. That was the nadir of the series, from Star Trek's neutered third season when its budget was cut, Roddenberry essentially left, and it was put out to pasture on Friday nights (death for TV appealing to young audiences). If you want to see some good TOS watch something like The City on the Edge of Forever (written by Harlan Ellison) or Mirror, Mirror, and there's always Space Seed, "KHAAAAAN!" I don't even like recommending just a few episodes, the first two seasons overall have a solid mix of legit sci-fi, humor and social commentary never before seen on television.

This all speculation but when Casca does get her memory back at Elf Island I imagine she will want to fight by Guts' side again. Although she is a capable fighter on her own terms, I wonder if she will recieve or obtain something similar to what the other team members aquired like the magical items, maybe from the elf king? As strong as she is I don't see her going toe to toe with some of the beasts out there now with what she has currently.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Yea plus you have to keep in mind that Casca is out of shape for that kind of fighting too. She doesn't have her muscles like she did. Now I wonder if shell cut her hair again. I think she will.

Oburi said:
Now I wonder if shell cut her hair again. I think she will.

I actually have been thinking about this recently. I kind of prefer her with the short hair, because that is what I'm used to, but I wouldn't mind her keeping her long hair, in-fact I think it might look very good once she regains her sanity and is able to take care of it properly and for combat purposes put it up in a ponytail maybe? I can see her keeping it for a number of reasons like it being an image of herself that does not bring up bad memories or resemble how she was during the eclipse (after it, though, perhaps), and maybe symbolize that she has changed since then. I may be alone but I would like to see her kick butt with a less-masculine hairstyle for a change. :casca:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
tama chan said:
Although she is a capable fighter on her own terms, I wonder if she will recieve or obtain something similar to what the other team members aquired like the magical items, maybe from the elf king? As strong as she is I don't see her going toe to toe with some of the beasts out there now with what she has currently.

If she were to end up fighting supernatural threats alongside Guts, then I believe she would have to do so with something that would give her an edge, yes. Be it one or more items, new skills, etc.

Oburi said:
Now I wonder if shell cut her hair again. I think she will.

Like Handmade_lion I believe in a third way: a new hairstyle, not just the current unkempt one, but not merely a return to her old one either.

Dar Klink said:
S-so Aaz, B-breaking Bad? :griffnotevil:

It's, uhhh, yeah, on a To-Do list somewhere.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Griffith said:
Oh, think you're pretty funny huh Mr. Smarty-Pants? Well, it's time to bring this whole Casca/Star Trek topic home. Behold the worst TOS episode ever:

Spock's Brain :ganishka:

:SK: : "I should have never reconnected his mouth!"
http://youtu.be/ZQ_duzQzS1I

See what I did there? Bones? Hobbit? Star Trek? Podcast? Huh? Huh? :troll:

Anyways, now that I've finished the podcast in regards to Walking Dead, they did in fact changed Rick's perspectives and values to the point of almost desperation and zero trust to the unknown living. Season 2 was boring but at the very end without spoiling much pretty much gives you a clear view of what to expect from Rick after a series of events. Granted, I haven't read the comics but it is known that this current arc is one of the most memorable... So you have to wonder why the show is doing pretty good this season. Either way, check it out, though I'm pretty sure you wont be keen to the Governor version of this show.

I just now had time to listen, and wanted to say great job (I don't game much so I skipped that part, but I'm sure it was great also). I had some thoughts about Casca, but others beat me to them, so I'll just join in by saying I'm anxious to see the changes in her personality when she regains her sanity.

Thanks again guys, I really think these podcasts are important to keep the community going when there are long breaks in the schedule, and they're really informative to boot.

TelegramSam said:
Thanks again guys, I really think these podcasts are important to keep the community going when there are long breaks in the schedule, and they're really informative to boot.

Seconded.
These podcasts are not only entertaining, but help reviewing problematic topics to try to have a better understanding of Berserk.

Another thing I was thinking about and was touched upon a bit in one of the podcasts, is if or when Guts will tell the other members of the party about the eclipse or what has happend to him. That got me thinking that maybe when Casca regains her sanity and is stable it will be then, since I would assume he would fill her in on whats been going on.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
tama chan said:
Another thing I was thinking about and was touched upon a bit in one of the podcasts, is if or when Guts will tell the other members of the party about the eclipse or what has happend to him. That got me thinking that maybe when Casca regains her sanity and is stable it will be then, since I would assume he would fill her in on whats been going on.
Yeah, it's a good thought. Actually for years everyone talked about the natural time to disclose these things, for Guts to have a heart-to-heart his friends, was on this long voyage. Afterall, they're isolated on a ship together. What else are they going to do...? :troll:

Really good podcast as usual! And thank you Walter for asking Griffith what phone he got. I was starting to fear it wouldn't be mentioned. :serpico:

One thought that came to mind when you were talking about Casca and her ability to sense her son is if there could be a scenario where she could perhaps lose that ability when she's restored.

Sammoniac

You taffers!
Very interesting podcast as usual. Its really great to hear insightful people with a great knowledge of the series talk about it for hours. I also played most of the video games you guys play, so the podcasts keep me entertained to the very end. I'm already looking forward to Episode 29!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for all the praise, everyone. It's reassuring that we can still pull off an entertaining/informative episode even with zero planning involved. Normally I try to structure episodes so there aren't any lulls in direction. But here we just sort of winged it, and I guess it worked out?

I've been looking forward to a Casca podcast since the Griffith segments, thank you.

It will be interesting to see what happens to Farnese when Casca comes back as well. Farnese has been Casca's caregiver and protector since she's joined the group; she does what Guts wishes he could. With Casca presumably no longer needing her, I wonder how that will affect her mentally. Will she find a new role and continue to be a productive member of the group? Or will she become distraught by her "Uselessness" and become a hazard? Then of course it could be a blessing for her, as she could devote all her time to working with Schierke. Ohh the possibility....Can't wait!!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
JoeZeon said:
It will be interesting to see what happens to Farnese when Casca comes back as well. Farnese has been Casca's caregiver and protector since she's joined the group; she does what Guts wishes he could. With Casca presumably no longer needing her, I wonder how that will affect her mentally. Will she find a new role and continue to be a productive member of the group? Or will she become distraught by her "Uselessness" and become a hazard? Then of course it could be a blessing for her, as she could devote all her time to working with Schierke. Ohh the possibility....Can't wait!!
We actually addressed this on a previous podcast, I just can't remember which one off the top of my head. I think it was Ep 2..? Anyway, we talked about how Farnese becoming a magic user is a way of setting her up for her role beyond Casca's caretaker. Basically, Miura has already been laying the groundwork for her future development from back when she first asked Schierke to teach her.

Edit: Yeah, it's in Ep 2, around the 5 minute mark:

Walter: "Now that Farnese has proven herself as a magic user, do you think someone will need to replace her as caretaker for Casca, or are we nearing the point where she won't need caretaking anymore?"
Aazealh: "Soon enough, she won't need a caretaker anymore. Farnese's role would have been in jeopardy. I guess what I'm saying is the future is already planned. Miura has planned the future in advance. Farnese's role is already set, the role she'll have after that."

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I have a feeling it's going to be very strange when Casca comes back and I don't think they'll be back to being a happy couple right away, like Griffith said. It's going to be a very heartbreaking time I think, but it's going to be one of the best parts of Berserk, if not the best. :casca: :guts:

Guts and Casca are the best couple in any comic I've ever read. And they haven't even spoken in "years." She is the perfect match for Guts.

I'm glad you guys talked about Casca. I love the character podcasts a lot. Keep up the great work, gentlemen.

Top Bottom