Dead Space 3

Oburi

All praise Grail

I Figured I'd start a thread since I'm sure many of us here will play it. I'm really looking foward to this since I enjoyed the first 2 so much. I'm on the fence about the co-op though. On the one hand, I might prefer my Dead Space to be more like the first one. A silent and secluded hero. But on the other hand I do love co-op and Dead Space might provide a cool backdrop for some good two player action. I just hope it's not too actiony.

They did add this cool Mass Effect armour though. All you need is a Mass Effect 3 save and you can unlock it.

I hope this game is good, but something tells me its going to follow more down the road of 2. I really enjoyed 1, but 2 was overkill at points. It was akin to somebody like Michael Bay taking hold of it. Constant gore, attack, scream, action, repeat in your face got old real quick. There was no subtlety, however that's not to say it didn't have some technical and functional improvements over the first.

Oburi

All praise Grail
The demo came out yesterday. It's really good too. Although it IS very action oriented, as I was worried about. But still fun. It certainly seems like they are going for BIGGER and BADDER in every sense. But I didn't mind. It was certainly entertaining.

Does anyone know if the co-op will be split screen or is it only over live because I wanted to try it on co-op but it only allowed for others to "drop in" over live. I really hope there is split screen.

EDIT- I started playing it the other night. I'm 60% through it, roughly 8 or 9 hours. I'm really enjoying it too. The first quarter of the game is more like the previous games. You run through stations/ships and float through space fighting necromorphs. Then you end up on the planet itself and it works really well I must say. Clearly inspired by Carpenters The Thing, which I'm cool with obviously. It doesn't have quite the same atmosphere as the first two games, nor is it all that eerie but it doesn't bother me as much as i thought it would. I think it would have gotten old pretty fast if it was more of the same, so I don't mind the direction they took (although it is really actiony).

The graphics are beautiful, as is the music and sound. The music in particular is really fantastic. Love it. Like a mix of Carpenter and the original Alien soundrack (mostly for when your floating in space).

To answer my own question about co-op, there is no split screen. You must play with somebody over xbox live for the co-op stuff, which includes extra content for the main campaign. I don't like that. Never have. But that might be more personal preference.

The story itself, however is pretty lame. They have this forced drama with some of the characters (a love triangle actually) which is so eye roll inducing. Because of this the dialog can get really bad and corny as well. It really makes me miss when Isaac was alone. After dealing with the annoying people you're forced to work with you'll wish you could just face all these horrors by yourself too.

So overall it's really good so far. A quality game for sure. It's not the most amazing thing ever because of the writing and whatnot, but it still makes up for that in other areas. Ok i should probably finish now :serpico:

Demo came out in mid january and I got demo in January 17 I think.
I borrowed game from friend since he completed it and thinks of selling,so I have to finish it fast and after a day i'm in chapter 2. Haven't really gotten into it too much,but I kinda like setting in ch1 and I wasn't really expecting drunk isaac with notifications about missed rent payments(on purpose probably) :ganishka: and alcohol bottles everywhere. Game seems fun so far,but dunno about if it's horror anymore. Doom 3 and Amnesia,those are frightening but Dead Space 3 seems like action blockbuster with drama elements which actually it is.

After the reviews started coming in, I didn't want to buy it. I caved after a few days and bought. 3 missions in and so far, I don't see what the fuss is about. It's entertaining. Scary? No. Then again, I'm also 28 and have played horror games for more than half of my life, games just don't scare me. :daiba:

I may have an entirely different opinion upon completion. The gameplay is solid so far.

Let's be honest. After seeing the abysmal scores Aliens: CM is getting, Dead Space 3 is shining pretty bright right now for me.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
After the reviews started coming in, I didn't want to buy it. I caved after a few days and bought. 3 missions in and so far, I don't see what the fuss is about. It's entertaining. Scary? No. Then again, I'm also 28 and have played horror games for more than half of my life, games just don't scare me. :daiba:

I may have an entirely different opinion upon completion. The gameplay is solid so far.
Everything I've heard about the game is that it has a strong start, a middling middle portion, and a shit end.

Let's be honest. After seeing the abysmal scores Aliens: CM is getting, Dead Space 3 is shining pretty bright right now for me.
Well, that's no bar for quality :void:

MrWeatherby

What's up, ketchup?
Walter said:
Everything I've heard about the game is that it has a strong start, a middling middle portion, and a shit end.

This has been a really weird running trend lately. Uncharted 3, Mass Effect 2 seemed that way, as did Deus Ex HR, part of me felt like AC3 fits in that boat as well (I liked Haytham way more than Connor, though I can see others feeling the opposite), and from what I hear Far Cry 3 holds true to it as well. If not a "middling middle" at least a sharp drop in quality towards the end.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
MrWeatherby said:
This has been a really weird running trend lately. Uncharted 3, Mass Effect 2 seemed that way, as did Deus Ex HR, part of me felt like AC3 fits in that boat as well (I liked Haytham way more than Connor, though I can see others feeling the opposite), and from what I hear Far Cry 3 holds true to it as well. If not a "middling middle" at least a sharp drop in quality towards the end.

I think it's a bit unfair to bundle ME2 with the rest, though the last boss did disappoint (but everything up to that was a neat effort, I thought). The game's flaws lie elsewhere IMHO.

Top Bottom