Skullknight.NET Podcast: Episode 30

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Episode 30 (02/10/2013): Let's Talk Berserk

We celebrate our 1 year anniversary recording the podcast with a show based on how we started: Just talking about Berserk stuff. We explore Miura's art style, the Berserk Dreamcast game, the perception of Berserk at large, and the legacy of the series.

Podcast Notes:
0:01:36 The Secret of Mr. Pibb
0:03:45 It's been a year ... What worked, what didn't?
0:11:17 Berserk: Page 1
0:25:30 The Greatest Story
0:37:40 The perception of Berserk at-large
0:43:00 Berserk Games
1:10:00 Video Games: Sony Playstation 4, Fire Emblem, Hyrule Historia (click for the Aghanim image I mention...)
1:36:40 Member questions

Sammoniac

You taffers!
Its too late here for me to listen to the podcast tonight, but I'm glad that you apparently talk about Aghanim from Link to the Past. About two weeks ago, my girlfriend was replaying that classic, and she made me realize that his face is actually what's under the hat (I thought that the face WAS the hat). It blew my mind. A part of my childhood was shaken that day. :ganishka:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Sammoniac said:
Its too late here for me to listen to the podcast tonight, but I'm glad that you apparently talk about Aghanim from Link to the Past. About two weeks ago, my girlfriend was replaying that classic, and she made me realize that his face is actually what's under the hat (I thought that the face WAS the hat). It blew my mind. A part of my childhood was shaken that day. :ganishka:
Yep, that was always my confusion as well, and as the image shows, we weren't alone :azan:

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
KM17B7k.jpg

Here's another image like that for more clarity. Also, I really really want to play Fire Emblem... I'm thinking of emulating some of the fan translated SNES ones to get my fix until I can get a 3DS.

Truder

"I frown at Griffith's nipples" -Aazealh
Another great podcast guys! I really enjoyed the Berserk at-large talk. You guys always make me re-appreciate Berserk.. Again and again actually. I've Loved Berserk for a relatively short time (compared with you guys) and I feel that since I've joined the forums you guys have put me on the fast track to better understand the nuances of Berserk and have also helped me grasp the big picture that Miura is trying to paint. :guts:

Also, I always listen to the video game and etc. talk at he beginning and listen to the Berserk talk at the end. It is the main course after all :beast:. I don't think people on the forum would mind if you make the Podcast every three weeks. (although once a month is unacceptable :femto:)

Great podcast and once again it's 1½ hours gone by at work :serpico:

Really hoping Miura doesn't go back and change the early volumes, sure the art is not as great as now but it shows his road to great craft manship. And let's not remember George Lucas's edits to Star Wars, not that I will compare Miura with that fat turkey but I like to see the evolution of his work.

About my Berserk game question it was interesting to hear about the playing as an Apostle, I could see myself playing that. And I agree that if any new game (based on the manga) was to be made it would have to be the Golden Arc, I dont think Miura will do another exclusive game story but who knows. I do however think an open world Berserk game is possible. You start out as young Guts, can explore a large part of the world where you have free range of challenging any foes, get new gear (until you get what young Guts is wearing) and eventually you reach the events that lead up to Griffith and the Falcons and you proceed that way. Keep the story elements to mostly in game cutscenes and cinematics and keep the gameplay open world unless it needs to be heavily scripted like the encounter with Zodd etc. Could also deal with a lot of the story elements ala Red Dead Redemption/GTA where while you are riding along with the band you talk with the members, a good example here would be GTA Lost and Damned.

Not sure how you would deal with the whole very young Guts, maybe keep Donovan a bit in the back :troll: but yeah it could be done properly, if only I had the opportunity to work on such a project.

Thanks for another great podcast.

I remember hearing from people I've talked to in the past on how when magic was introduced into Berserk in the earlier volumes they would poo poo it, saying it's gotten 'too fantasy' or 'out of touch'. Or when there may have been less violent scenes between episodes. I don't understand this mind set; like you guys said there is so much more to the series then just the gore, and while it is part of Berserk, I feel bad for fans who are missing out and not seeing the big picture.

Also out of curiousity, I know you guys talked about what other podcasts to do; will you still be doing one on the themes of Berserk? I thought someone mentioned exploring the elements like water, and how they effect the story.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
tama chan said:
Thanks for another great podcast.
Thanks!

Also out of curiousity, I know you guys talked about what other podcasts to do; will you still be doing one on the themes of Berserk? I thought someone mentioned exploring the elements like water, and how they effect the story.
Sure, it's not as if we've exhausted the available topics. It's more a matter of picking one we can all talk about entertainingly/educationally at length on instead of: "Yep, so Void. He's got a big brain." The water thing is sort of a pet project of mine, so I would definitely enjoy talking about it. It would just require a bit more research before doing it though since it relates to Japanese.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Happy official 1 Year Anniversary! Very good podcast. I still feel that this podcast is a very educational experience. I love learning more about my favorite series from 3 experts. You guys have been providing a great perspective on Berserk and I'm grateful for that big time. I also wanna thank you guys for having me on from time to time.

That Zelda book sounds super tempting...

Sammoniac

You taffers!
I second Gob on everything he said. I really appreciate these podcasts and the time and effort you guys put into it. I already recommended them to some of my friends who also are into Berserk.

Dar Klink said:
Here's another image like that for more clarity.

Haha very cool stuff :serpico:

I've listened to some other podcasts that are relative to manga/anime and I have to say that Skullknights is the best I've ever heard. I love the in-depth coverage of the characters, story and themes that you guys go over and it has helped me understand the world of Berserk better. Unfortunately I don't have much feedback in the way of improving other then there were a few podcasts that I feel you may have cut a bit short. Other then that, thanks again for the time all of you put into the podcasts; can't wait to hear more!

Top Bottom