Metal Gear Solid V Officially Announced

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Well, thanks for attempting to explain, but none of that convoluted nonsense justifies the ridiculous aspirations of the trailer's talk of "language" as a cultural touchstone or what that has to do with bipedal robots.

It's a fucking spy action game. It always has been. Kojima just likes to make things "deep" by using these high-concept pitches. Somehow it's worked on fans time and time again, getting worse with every game.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Yeah, I liked my explanation better. Though...

Walter said:
It's a fucking spy action game. It always has been. Kojima just likes to make things "deep" by using these high-concept pitches. Somehow it's worked on fans time and time again, getting worse with every game.

... this is probably perfect. Kojima showed his true colors in MGS2, for which he received the most backlash, but at least that was partially about deconstructing gaming itself, which is the one subject he's truly qualified to meditate on (but it was still really annoying otherwise =). Since then it's just been a bunch of philosophical gobbledygook with varying degrees of success depending on whether he reined it in (MGS3) or went full retard (MGS4). This looks like it could go either way depending on how saturated it is with this crap. If the reports are true that it barely has a plot at all, or it's mostly communicated over codec during active gameplay, I have high hopes. I'd rather they find excuses to do cool retro movie references like in MGS3 though. Do what you know, Kojima!

...At the very least we at least have one whole piece of Music information now. As far as the Insert album is concerned that is.

CIuWqIpUEAAjmoB.jpg:large

METAL GEAR SOLID VOCAL TRACKS & COVERS CD | KONAMI STYLE

Griffith

VengeanceQuest982 said:
...At the very least we at least have one whole piece of Music information now.

I guess I'll go ahead and say what everyone else is thinking: THANK GOD FOR THAT!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
http://gematsu.com/2015/07/solid-snake-japanese-voice-actor-kojima-productions-disbanded said:
Akio Otsuka, the Japanese voice actor for Snake in the Metal Gear Solid series, wrote out a heartfelt goodbye to Kojima Productions on Twitter today.

“Kojima Productions was forced to disband, but it appears that the work that the team has been putting their utmost effort into is nearly complete,” Otsuka said in a tweet. “I’m not exaggerating when I say that I expect it will become their greatest masterpiece. I couldn’t help it. I just wanted to say ‘Kept you waiting, huh?’ (Laughs.) But even if this is the end, Metal Gear Solid is immortal!”

We don’t know the fate of the Kojima Productions staff after work on Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is complete. In fact, this is probably the most official statement we’ve gotten about the company’s status. Prior to this, reports citing sources from within the studio claimed Kojima Productions’ senior staff are working on Metal Gear Solid V as contractors, rather than permanent employees, and founder Hideo Kojima plans to leave alongside upper management when their contract expires in December.

Griffith

So, is this because Kojima was leaving anyway, or is Konami burning down the store to collect the insurance money?

Coming off of its GC 2015 showing comes new The Phantom Pain info & recent news :

[8/6/2015] Screenshot comparison of MGSV on each platform will be posted tomorrow!

MGSV TPP PC Requirements
hUmlzZS.png

Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain Steam Release Date: Now Sept 1st! | Konami Blog
Metal Gear Online 3 Delayed to Oct. 6th (consoles), January 2016 (PC)

Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain GC 2015 Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOOxEnY2wwk
Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain GC 2015 Demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGGuvRIIx8c

...Below is the Afghanistan Map for the Phantom Pain. Famitsu goofed and leaked it without permission.
http://i.imgur.com/9sU6jsb.jpg

:: Reviews ::

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain Review - GameSpot
Review: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Ive Played 30 Hours Of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain And Its Friggin Great
A Legend Worth Waiting For - Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - PlayStation 4 - www.GameInformer.com
Review: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain | Press Start Australia
Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain” Thoughts from the first 40 hours | Polygon
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - The EGM Review | EGMNOW
Análisis Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - PS4
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - Recensione - VOLERE è potere | IGN Italia
Test de Metal Gear Solid V : The Phantom Pain (MGS5) sur PS4, Xbox One, PS3 : 20/20 | JVL
Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain Review - VideoGamer.com
Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain review in progress | GamesRadar
MGS 5 – The Phantom Pain: Schleichen in Perfektion! - COMPUTER BILD SPIELE
Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain (PS4) - Wertung, Fazit - GamePro
Metal Gear Solid 5 - The Phantom Pain - Seite 4 - Test | GamersGlobal
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain Review
The Phantom Pain is unlike other Metal Gear games Eurogamer.net

Griffith

http://kotaku.com/a-metal-gear-solid-restaurant-it-cant-be-1726870739

Aaz, you must be so proud! :guts:

Wow that's hilarious.

They did something similar with one of the Silent Hill games (or the first movie maybe?). Being Silent Hill, the food was definitely not exactly appetizing.

I'd have ate any and all of it though!

Griffith

zrexe said:

While we're posting Kotaku articles: http://kotaku.com/jimmy-kimmels-jab-at-youtube-gaming-backfired-1727246796

This is like saying a troll's post backfired because it got thousands of angry replies. Also, pretty light-hearted ribbing on an obvious point (watching someone else play video games isn't the best use of one's time, as any kid is aware). If anything, the humorless response is more damning than the put down and only makes the original point more salient.

Aazealh said:
Hahaha, the thought actually crossed my mind when I posted it. :guts:

Of course, I can actually see Azan doing that... if he basically hasn't already.
azansalute.gif
:ganishka:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
While we're posting Kotaku articles: http://kotaku.com/jimmy-kimmels-jab-at-youtube-gaming-backfired-1727246796

This is like saying a troll's post backfired because it got thousands of angry replies. Also, pretty light-hearted ribbing on an obvious point (watching someone else play video games isn't the best use of one's time, as any kid is aware). If anything, the humorless response is more damning than the put down and only makes the original point more salient.

God, what a terrible article. You can tell that skit really hurt the author's feelings. The best part is that the "YouTube Watch Watch" thing pretty much already exists, though not for games: it's called "people react to" and there's a gazillion such videos online.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
The best part is that the "YouTube Watch Watch" thing pretty much already exists, though not for games: it's called "people react to" and there's a gazillion such videos online.

HTML:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VrSSCZ4w7Ac" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Griffith

Aazealh said:
God, what a terrible article. You can tell that skit really hurt the author's feelings. The best part is that the "YouTube Watch Watch" thing pretty much already exists, though not for games: it's called "people react to" and there's a gazillion such videos online.

I can't even believe it's authentic and not a put on to patronize her gullible, hive-minded audience, "It's going to be ok, here's a sympathetic voice telling you exactly what you want to hear." And the commenters talking about the "ignorance" of the "attack" video like they're some oppressed minority rather than a self-selected group of indulgent, self-deluded hobbyists... Ignorance indeed. #GamerLivesMatter

On the other hand, I definitely deserve your pity for continuing to play Diablo III. :daiba:

Walter said:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/VrSSCZ4w7Ac

Oh man, I gotta watch the whole series... of videos reading the series! Don't judge I was born this way.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
HTML:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0rOFw_3t8t0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

...Metal Gear Solid 5 is the longest entry in the series history and I'm not just talking about story or gameplay I'm talking about its release history. The first title under the Metal Gear Solid 5 banner was Peace Walker released in 2010. The Epilogue for Peace Walker Ground Zeroes was released in 2014 on consoles and the second and final part The Phantom Pain was released this month.

Metal Gear Solid 5

Part 1 : Peace Walker

Prologue : An Army Without Borders

Chapter 1 A Country Without an Army
Chapter 2 The Phantom Hero
Chapter 3 A Nation Reborn
Chapter 4 The Illusion of Peace
Chapter 5 Outer Heaven

Epilogue : Ground Zeroes

Part 2 : The Phantom Pain

Prologue : Awakening

Chapter 1 Revenge
Chapter 2 Race

Epilogue : Truth - The Man Who Sold the World

Death May Die said:
Is anybody else besides me loving this game?

...I have enjoyed The Phantom Pain immensely as purely a gaming experience. From the level of freedom to approach a mission, to Base management, and mission buddies the gameplay portion of The Phantom Pain has it all. As far as the story goes in The Phantom Pain you can't appreciate the 2nd part of a story without seeing the first part (Peace Walker).

VengeanceQuest982 said:
As far as the story goes in The Phantom Pain you can't appreciate the 2nd part of a story without seeing the first part (Peace Walker).

Very true. Kojima's departure and Konami's recent stance on AAA really makes me question the future of the series.
As MGS:V only goes into Chapter 2, incompletion of a entire chapter 3 are being confirmed. I hope they release it as DLC or the game is just going to fall off without any real conclusion.

Death May Die said:
Very true. Kojima's departure and Konami's recent stance on AAA really makes me question the future of the series.
As MGS:V only goes into Chapter 2, incompletion of a entire chapter 3 are being confirmed. I hope they release it as DLC or the game is just going to fall off without any real conclusion.

... I'm of the opinion that I would rather play it safe and see what happens within the last 3 months of the year. I say that as its more than enough time for KONAMI to announce what it wants to do with the IP outside of Tactical Metal Gear Pachinko Action. Though to be honest I think that this is it for the IP as a console game and as a mobile game given KONAMI's platform shift. It blows that they pulled the rug out from under Kojima because even in the state of completion its in MGS5 is a bitter sweet swan song for the gaming division at KONAMI and to all of us that bought their games over the years.

Top Bottom