My Wooden Dragon Slayer

Hi all!
For a few months now I've been working to build my own DS made of wood.
My plan is to make it as good as possible, painting it with the corresponding metal tone.

Why wood? Because I want it to be heavy, but manageable. Besides, I could only get the tools and materials to work with wood.
Let's go step by step.

The Size
For starters, I looked at many pictures and panels of Guts holding the Dragon Slayer and tried to find a front, somewhat proportioned one.
Then, I calculated Guts height as my own (1.87 m) to make it look proportioned to me, since I'll be the one wielding it.

With some help from rules and simple calculations, these are the measures I came up with:
Guts-medidasL.jpg

Following these, I think I should get a good looking DS that fits me properly.

Getting the Wood
So, I went to a friend's house who works in construction and helped me get a decent chunk of wood, big, heavy and strong enough to survive the process and look good in the end.
First, I took the measures I had calculated before and started drawing on the wood.
arlesDS_001.jpg

arlesDS_002.jpg

Cutting the Blade
Once we got the layout of how it had to be, my friend took the plank and we got ready to cut it with a pretty cool saw.
arlesDS_004.jpg

arlesDS_005.jpg

arlesDS_006.jpg

arlesDS_007.jpg

The final result was the raw blade of the Dragon Slayer.
arlesDS_008.jpg

arlesDS_009.jpg

Adding the Grip, molding the Edge
We started to subtract wood from the sides to make the edge. After that, the next step would be to sand down the imperfections and make it look as smooth as possible.
The grip, on the other hand, is made by a pretty hard steel pipe, attached to the base of the blade.
arlesDS_010.jpg

arlesDS_011.jpg

Of course, this alone is not enough to hold the weight of the blade. As it was, the wood would break at the junction point with the grip.
So we still needed to add the semicircular parts on the base to give the grip the necessary strength. We thought six sturdy screws made for wood would do the job.
arlesDS_012.jpg

arlesDS_013.jpg

arlesDS_014.jpg

Meanwhile, we kept adding details to the edge.

arlesDS_015.jpg

arlesDS_016.jpg

arlesDS_017.jpg

arlesDS_018.jpg

Screwing the Grip
This ended up being trickier than we'd thought.
We first perforated each plank of wood separately, then aligned them and inserted the screws as tight as possible.
arlesDS_019.jpg

The final result was pretty good. Strong enough to finally hold it and actually wield it without breaking it!
arlesDS_020.jpg

arlesDS_021.jpg

arlesDS_022.jpg

Adding details to the Edge
With some time and patience we were able to finally make the edge look more or less like... well.. an edge.
So, a couple of weeks passed and I finally got the time and vehicles to move the Proto-DragonSlayer to a more comfortable place to work with it, now that no more saws and machinery are needed: just me and the little details now. With help from more people I then moved it to my house for more testing, adjusting proportions and little details to the edge.
arlesDS_023.jpg

arlesDS_024.jpg

arlesDS_025.jpg

It turns out wood is a little tricky to work with. As you will see in the next picture, the sides didn't turn out exactly perfect. The next step will be make it look as straight as possible before painting.
arlesDS_026.jpg

arlesDS_027.jpg

I'm confident it'll turn out just fine, though.
I think the hardest part (to make it have the general shape of the DS) is done, and now with time, precise and patient work the next pieces will add up making a very acceptable final result.
arlesDS_028.jpg

Smoothing
Well, this part required us to move the DS around from place to place. I needed help from some friends to do it, but we managed to get the sword to a place safe for working with it. Sorry for the lack of photos of this stage, but I was moving to my new home and everything was a mess. :sad:
IMG_3670.JPG

Adding details to the Grip and Painting
Once the blade was done, it was time to give the final touches to the grip before painting the sword. For this I used Plasterwork (I'm not sure this is the right term in english. In spanish, it Enduido Plástico) and then I sanded it down until it was smooth.
IMG_3717.JPG

With the grip complete, it was time to paint it ang give it a metallic look. I used silver metallic spray for this part of the process.
IMG_4090.JPG

IMG_4093.JPG

Almost there!

Testing and Wielding (Cosplay)
As I mentioned before, I managed to finish the Dragon Slayer just in time for a Convention here in Argentina. These are some photos I took over there during the weekend. I hope you like them!!
13.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

35.jpg

Placing it on Display
Well, the original idea was to place it above my bed, but my couple wasn't very fond of the thought of sleeping with a large wooden stick above her head. In the end, we decided to place it in the living room, right next to the stairs to the second floor. I got help from yet another friend and we started to work.
arlesDS_029.jpg

arlesDS_030.jpg

arlesDS_031.jpg

arlesDS_032.jpg

And the final image of the project:
arlesDS_033.jpg

Well, I hope you like this little project and if you want to give comments, feedback, criticism or questions, just fire away. :guts:
Even though it's still a work in progress, I've put a lot of time and effort doing it (and my friend too), so I hope it will end up looking good. it's done, I still have to see how it will be placed in my room, which is no easy feat to accomplish.

I'll keep you posted!

Done!

Last edited:

turkitage

ターク
Arles said:
Hi all!
For a few months now I've been working to build my own DS made of wood.
My plan is to make it as good as possible, painting it with the corresponding metal tone.

This is awesome! I love post like these! You've put a lot of effort into that so far, are you going to cosplay with it or just display it when you're done?

Turkitage said:
are you going to cosplay with it or just display it when you're done?
The right answer would be "both".

There's a huge convention here in Argentina in July, so if I make it in time, one of the plans is to make a cosplay.
But one of my main goals would be to place it on display on the wall over my bed. :ubik:

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Great work so far, Arles! It seems like a handy way to make a DS for yourself. It must be a rewarding project. And in the end, it can double as weightlifting gear! :troll:

Also, your "face" keeps cracking me up.

That looks amazing Sakuragi! Thanks for sharing the work-in-progress pictures and how you're going about tackling the project. The length and size of the blade looks about right when compared to your height. At what stage will you add the groove in that semi circle piece that's at the base of the blade?

Grail said:
Great work so far, Arles! It seems like a handy way to make a DS for yourself. It must be a rewarding project. And in the end, it can double as weightlifting gear! :troll:
Thanks!
Yeah, I have actually been lifting extra weights since the beginning of the project in order to be able to wield it, haha. I'm not even kidding!

Also, your "face" keeps cracking me up.
That's my serious face. :puck:

IncantatioN said:
At what stage will you add the groove in that semi circle piece that's at the base of the blade?
That will be done on the "Adding details to the Grip" stage.
First, I'll smooth the surface and edges of the semicircular parts to make it look better. But after that comes the fun part...
I still haven't decided the material, but I'll probably add a thick layer of Cold Porcelain to add as much level of detail as possible.
It's a very cool material that let's you do almost anything, modeling-wise. (Google images examples)

Sorry for the double post.

Just a heads up: OP has been updated with the "Adding details to the Edge" section.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
That's a pretty cool project, and well organized, too! I'm interested to see what the final result will look like.

Hey guys!

I just wanted to let you know that the Smoothing, Adding details to the Grip and Painting and Testing and Wielding Like a Boss stages have been updated in the opening post!

So it took more than 3 months, but My Wooden Dragon Slayer is done!!! :ubik:

Now I have to see how I'm going to place it on display, since it pretty darn heavy. But for now, I'm going to celebrate!

Congrats on completing the project, good to see an update! Seeing the coach hold the sword got a smile outta me (wearing a Slam Dunk tee at work today, coincidence).

What did you use to secure the link around the handle of the sword? How heavy is the sword? Nice haircut by the way. What material/ metal did you use for your armor (cosplay)? That paint looks fresh.

IncantatioN said:
Congrats on completing the project, good to see an update!
Thanks! I'm aware it didn't ended up being a perfect replica, but I think it's good enough taking into account my initial objectives. Maybe in the future I can make a better one.

Seeing the coach hold the sword got a smile outta me (wearing a Slam Dunk tee at work today, coincidence).
Hahaha, everyone I showed the picture had the same reaction! :ganishka:

What did you use to secure the link around the handle of the sword?
I used a mixture of things.
First I used a screw like these ones:
Galvanized_Screw_Hook_Nails_with_ZP_Finish_Made_of_Iron_Suitable_for_Large_and_Small_Furniture.jpg

Then I used a layer of plasterwork, then some very, very strong adhesive based on Cyanoacrylate, and then a generic Universal Adhesive. All that together, after it dried, kept the link secure on the handle. I wish I could have gotten my hands in a proper chain link, though. I think that will be the first improvement moving forward.

How heavy is the sword?
I don't have a scale here with me, but I promise I'll find out soon. The thing is, though: it's not about the weight, but the balance. Grabbing it from the handle and moving it around was a real pain (I almost injured myself in the two days of the convention).

Nice haircut by the way.
Thanks! I've had long hair for several years now, so doing this to my head was a big sacrifice... I had a GREAT time, so I guess it was worth it. After all, hair grows!

What material/ metal did you use for your armor (cosplay)? That paint looks fresh.
The armor could have a thread of it's own, since it took equal or more work than the Dragon Slayer. But I didn't have a camera ready for every step, so it's not worth it.
It's made of 5 layers of different materials, as follows:
*Cardboard structure
*Glass fiber
*Plastic Filler (poliester)
*Plasterwork
*Black Metallic Spray

I realize it's not as good as it could be, sadly...
But it accomplished the premise of being as strong, hard and heavy as a real armor. If you punch it, your fist hurts, haha.

Sorry if the names of some materials and methods are wrong. I don't know how they are called in English. I linked "Plastic Filler" to an image of the product, for reference.

Thanks for the interest, and let me know if there's anything else that's not quite clear.

Hey guys! Sorry for the double post

I wanted to let you know that the Placing it on display stage has been updated in the opening post!

Now I hope to carry it with me to wherever I live in the future. For now, it's safely placed under the stairs.

This is what I call an awesome post! :ubik: The DS looks great, it also looks appropriately heavy to handle, it looks solid not as flimsy as lots of DS I have seen on cons. :) Great job!

This is an awesome project sir. You did very well. Did you have any experience working with wood before this? Also how did you make all the other pieces of the outfit?

Mammon

Mangoku army
Wow, that's dedication. Congratulations sir. :ubik:

Also, I'm not really into cosplay, they end up looking stupid most of the time but you managed to pull it of.
Keeping your Guts face :guts: for entire conventions must be tiresome though.

Congratulations once again, for the Dragon Slayer, costume, and well presented thread!

(that Griffith chick... :beast: )

Top Bottom