Dark Souls II

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Jaze1618 said:
Dark Souls 2 DLC may be the peak of the whole series
http://kotaku.com/dark-souls-ii-s-dlc-may-be-the-peak-of-the-whole-series-1648785586
I concur, as long as you count all 3 as a whole, since they
extend and wrap up the Manus Story
from the
1st game

That's a pretty bold statement. I thought the 2/3 DLC that I've played were great, but not the pinnacle. Or maybe my judgement was clouded by just how underwhelming DkS2 was in general. Nothing in DkS2 captures the feeling I still have while playing the first game. Parts of the DLC got close, but nothing was the same.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMU41taZJLw

Like their movie brethren, these are all fantastically on point.

Oburi

All praise Grail
So I've finally started Dark Souls 2 :guts: I got the Scholar Of the First Sin edition which comes with the latest patches and all DLC. I played for about 10 hours or so, I just cleared out this forest and entered a fog gate under a waterfall where I managed to defeat several skeletal Bosses and their spawns (on my first try!). Now I've entered a poisonous swamp type land it seems, and that's where I stopped for now.

It feels good to be back playing a souls game, but everything seems recycled from DS1, only lacking aesthetically. Yea the frame rate is better, it runs smoother I guess, but I still prefer the "look" and "feel" of the first one. It just doesn't have that same vibe to it. It's as if a different developer tried to make the best possible imitation of DS1. It's a great copy, but it's not the same. I'm still enjoying it, but the original was just so goddamn amazing.

If this can be answered without spoilers, I'd like to know how and when the DLC should be played? Is it like the DLC for DS1 when you need to have reached a certain point and then you can go for it whenever you feel ready??

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
If this can be answered without spoilers, I'd like to know how and when the DLC should be played? Is it like the DLC for DS1 when you need to have reached a certain point and then you can go for it whenever you feel ready??

There are gates leading to each DLC placed in specific areas, you'll know them when you see them. They can be played at any time, whenever you see them or after you finish the game (you have the choice to keep playing instead of directly restarting a NG+).

Oburi

All praise Grail
So I've been playing this sporadically over the last few months trying to finish off a few of the things that I never got around to doing and I'm proud to say that after many, MANY attempts I finally killed those two giant tiger pets in the Frigid Outskirts in the final DLC area. Man that was a tough one. I'm not online anymore either but I did summon some npc help. Of course typical Dark Souls fashion the whole journey there and the subsequent battle took me many tries but on the try that I actually beat it, it was really easy and I don't think I took any damage at all.

Now if I can just beat the Darklurker boss I'd have done everything just about.

Griffith

I recently started this up again in lieu of dropping $60 on DS3 at this time. I had lost my level 100+ swordsman to a dead hard drive (why doesn't DS2 have cloud storage when even 1 does!?), so I'm playing a sorcerer this time because I didn't want to do the exact same shit again and wow is this better for me. I had heard it was supposed to be much tougher to start but i feel invincible, I do still remember all my dodging skills but hardly anybody gets close enough for me to use them. I realize I was really banging my head against a wall before dueling every fucking enemy before. Thing is, I still can if I want to, gonna grab the fire sword in the forest of giants in case anybody gets too close. That and a decent shield should allow me to pick and choose my spots to safely cast until any enemy or boss is dead.

Edit: It probably didn't help my melee experience that I chose a dual wielding swordsman instead of using a, ya know, shield. It's coming in handy now though.

Starting Dark Souls II up for the first time, I could immediately tell going from Dark Souls I to Dark Souls II was an extremely bad idea.

I pride myself on being level-headed when judging a game, but I'm being seriously challenged here. What happened FromSoftware? From the gate, character movement seems so.. off. The controls are the exact same, but how the player character moves in the world has changed so much, and it's like a shock to my system. Analog stick controls are very sensitive; you have to move the analog stick very lightly to walk and be very conscious of it, because moving the stick too heavy will make you move much more quickly. Movement in general seems very loose, and I can't bring myself to be happy about rolling. Do weapon swings correct when auto-locking?

Perhaps this was all intentional, to throw vets like me off my feet. I'm going to have to grow used to the adjusted combat system, and 'movement system' (lol). I can't help but feel panic, that I'm going to get my arsed handed to me many, many times despite being very adept at Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.

I'm not sure how I feel about the women in the beginning beating the idea of inevitable and constant death down my throat repeatedly, but maybe that's to prepare newcomers? You'd think we would be made to find out the hard way :guts: in that regard the prologue feels much less nuanced.

I'll check back in and give my thoughts on the overall narrative, and the game in general. I can tell this is going to be.. interesting...

ThePiedPiper said:

Dark Souls II, in my opinion, made a lot of missteps, and the introduction was only the first among them. It uses a lot of words to basically say "you're undead and that sucks," and spends all its time talking about "you" rather than the world like Demon's and Dark Souls did, which doesn't make for a captivating narrative when "you" are a completely blank slate with no discernible character or motivation.

If you think rolling feels off when you do it in a vacuum, wait 'til you actually try to seriously use it to dodge enemies. DkS2 gives your rolls fewer invincibility frames than in the past, and there's a hefty amount of hitbox dissonance going on with enemy attacks, so you're going to get hit by attacks that by all rights should never have touched you many, many, many times. If you want to avoid mitigate frustration, take my advice: don't ignore the Adaptibility attribute. Pump it up until your Agility is at least 92 ASAP; this will add enough I-frames to your dodge roll so that it won't be completely useless. You won't be able to avoid attacks due to the wonky hitboxes, but at least you might be able to dodge through them with proper timing. And thank Gwyn that From Software never used this system again.

Cyrus Jong said:
Dark Souls II, in my opinion, made a lot of missteps, and the introduction was only the first among them. It uses a lot of words to basically say "you're undead and that sucks," and spends all its time talking about "you" rather than the world like Demon's and Dark Souls did, which doesn't make for a captivating narrative when "you" are a completely blank slate with no discernible character or motivation.

Yeah.. I want to look at some developer interviews for the game, maybe a 'Making Of', if one exists. Probably after my first play-through as to avoid spoilers. I'm very curious as to why they went with that sort of intro, and what they're aiming for overall? Were they just trying to center the game around its challenging nature? Kinda feels like a self-congratulatory pat on the back while snickering at you, if you ask me (kinda like how the old ladies seem to find something funny when you're around, some inside joke only they're in on). Them mocking you only works if you are actually bad at the game, otherwise you don't really fit their narrative of 'constant hollowing'. If you get by with only dying as much as you would on your average video game, then that would just make them look rude :serpico: But I digress.

Cyrus Jong said:
If you think rolling feels off when you do it in a vacuum, wait 'til you actually try to seriously use it to dodge enemies. DkS2 gives your rolls fewer invincibility frames than in the past, and there's a hefty amount of hitbox dissonance going on with enemy attacks, so you're going to get hit by attacks that by all rights should never have touched you many, many, many times. If you want to avoid mitigate frustration, take my advice: don't ignore the Adaptibility attribute. Pump it up until your Agility is at least 92 ASAP; this will add enough I-frames to your dodge roll so that it won't be completely useless. You won't be able to avoid attacks due to the wonky hitboxes, but at least you might be able to dodge through them with proper timing. And thank Gwyn that From Software never used this system again.

It's interesting because the further I get, the more I feel the effects of this altered system. Yes, dodge rolling during combat is a very hazardous thing; you're almost better off trying to block if you've the stamina. While getting a feel for my range of motions and animations, I started rotating the analog stick very quickly; my character was moving circularly. But the movement was with otherworldly speed, like a dog chasing its tail; it looked so unnatural, too unnatural to not make mention of it. Character movements (NPCs and some monsters) I feel are too quick, and sometimes deceptive. I swear I had the running speed of the woman in the red dress down pat, but after every blow I landed on her I swear she would punish every time with increased speed. It was as if her running frames would hasten if you were within a certain range. She gave me quite the fight as she chased me around the room with the ladle, and managed to kill me a couple times. Boy did she have pep in her step.

Oh, I've come close to walking off cliffs and narrow catwalks numerous times, too, because of how touchy movement is. You have to really fine-tune how you navigate the world and stay fully aware at all times. Which is good. Sometimes the game is difficult for the wrong reason, sometimes you have to blame yourself for being inadequate in the moment, or careless.

My first death was at the hands of the rhino-bear that is standing near a corpse in Things Betwixt (love the use of archaic there, by the way). My cleric, who sucked with that mace of hers, got that big lug's health to just less than half before she rolled backwards seemingly a millisecond too late, and would have the remainder of her health taken. It actually bit her head off, to be precise. My second death was funny, it being so abrupt and unexpected. After resurrecting, I was on my way back to reclaim my corpse (erm, I mean soul; this isn't Diablo xP). I was heading for the bridge, but missed it entirely, and walked right off the section of the cliff that was next to it. I had a real good laugh, even knowing that all my souls were then gone.

After experimenting a little bit, and taking my grievances out on the women in red (which probably broke my game), I made a new character. I realized there was no place for Atri (my PC from DS1) in this world. I decided she retire for now, and have her soul bestow on another vessel, Irta the Wanderer. She carries the spirit of Atri, but she's her own person. And by Gywn are Swordsmen a powerful class. Irta is already the badass I envisioned her to be from character creation. I slew that Rhino-bear in around 30 seconds and have not died once with her yet.

Griffith

ThePiedPiper said:
Starting Dark Souls II up for the first time, I could immediately tell going from Dark Souls I to Dark Souls II was an extremely bad idea.
Cyrus Jong said:
Dark Souls II, in my opinion, made a lot of missteps, and the introduction was only the first among them.

DSII is like some officially branded but licensed generic version of Dark Souls; it's trying to copy it, but it doesn't directly, everything is sorta different, yet it's frustratingly trying to parallel, connect, or at least bend toward some continuity that isn't really there (it's like they tried to make it fit with Dark Souls after the fact when they were really doing something else from the start). It also doesn't have the weird lore or the fascinating, interconnected world and environments to fill you with the same dread and whimsy (it's more like any generic fantasy game). On the other hand, it's actually got it's own thing going on and trying something a little different, plus it's HUGE, it's like Dark Souls ad infinitum and you can summon so many people it's ridiculous: Dark Souls the MMO. :ganishka:

ThePiedPiper said:
From the gate, character movement seems so.. off.
Cyrus Jong said:
If you think rolling feels off when you do it in a vacuum, wait 'til you actually try to seriously use it to dodge enemies.

Or, at least it could have been DS Online, except as you both say, the controls don't feel like Dark Souls either. I've still never gotten used to it, no matter how high I level my iframes, and it was the first Souls game I started (so if you think it's relative coming from 1 I actually went from 2 to 1 =)! DS1's and 3's rolls and hitboxes are far more fair/forgiving depending on how you look at it, and I've read a lot of people saying that DS2 is actually the easiest one but that hasn't been my experience at all no matter how I tried to exploit the benchmarks. It just never feels comfortable, like my character is wearing weights or underwater or something.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't realize it at the time, but Dark Souls 2 sunk nearly all of my goodwill towards that series, and I absolutely loved DS1. It's just a vacuous, frustrating experience compared to what came before. The most fun I had in that game was rolling around with a group of 3-4 random people near when the game launched, just mowing through enemies (beating the Pursuer during his little cameo appearance, too).

I know that Dark Souls 3 put the series back on track (right in time for it to be over!), and I've put ~8h into it at this point, but it hasn't recaptured the same passion as the first game, which had me completely entranced.

Griffith

Walter said:
I didn't realize it at the time, but Dark Souls 2 sunk nearly all of my goodwill towards that series, and I absolutely loved DS1. It's just a vacuous, frustrating experience compared to what came before. The most fun I had in that game was rolling around with a group of 3-4 random people near when the game launched, just mowing through enemies (beating the Pursuer during his little cameo appearance, too).

I know that Dark Souls 3 put the series back on track (right in time for it to be over!), and I've put ~8h into it at this point, but it hasn't recaptured the same passion as the first game, which had me completely entranced.

Yeah, and I think your love of the first game might also be a factor, ironically. You spent so much time playing and appreciating it that not only did you probably get more than your fill, but an experience impossible to match. DSII is probably a lot easier to swallow if one played and merely liked Souls than being "entranced" by it for 200+ hours. That's probably alsp part of the reason 3 never got much traction with you either; you pretty much already did Dark Souls to the hilt years ago, you already didn't need any more and II ran it into the ground. Back to your point, if DS3 had directly followed DS1 you might have played the shit out of it instead of so much more of the original Dark Souls.

Personally, despite a rocky start, I ultimately had a much more balanced experience with the three games, playing them relatively close together and giving each plenty of time, or more than enough in the case of DS2. My Dark Souls play hours:

Dark Souls II: 105 hours (roughly half before and half after DS1)
Dark Souls: 130 hours
Dark Souls II SotFS: 113 hours (Jesus, did I leave it on while I feel asleep or something, 200+ hours of DS2? -_-)
Dark Souls III: 200 hours

So, technically, I played DS1 for the LEAST amount of time, but I can confirm it was the best quality of time and leaves the strongest impression if not the "fondest" memories: the introduction, discovering and defeating the hydra, wandering the Duke's Archives and descending into the Crystal Cave, just magical stuff, and of course there's New Londo, Blightown, and the Tomb of Giants! :magni: So, these numbers are a bit deceptive, Dark Souls is a game I ultimately stopped playing because I was wholly satisfied and could move on before I actually diminished the experience; I didn't get tired of it, and I didn't want to, I wanted to have that experience again. Whereas Dark Souls II is a game I kept playing because I couldn't get satisfaction, desperately trying to have that experience again only to be left wanting (sounds a bit like the plot, actually =). Dark Souls III on the other hand, that was just what I was looking for to scratch that itch and so I played the hell out of it until I *DID* get tired of it, which is fine. I'm done and uninstalled them all because after 548 hours of Dark Souls I've died enough... well, unless I ever want to finish those last DS2 DLCs and try it's NG+, or Demon's Souls, or Bloodborne... I just don't know if I have the 200+ hours these days.

Oh, and because I never tire of the irony of this: "Wally, you should really play Dark Souls (III)!" Also, you'll have to forgive me for not watching Sneakers yet, because if history is any indicator I'm eventually going to watch it approximately 250 times and/or spend 15 years of my life posting at Sneakers.net.

So I've lit the bonfires at Sinner's Rise and Brightstone Cove Tseldora. I'm currently in the Iron Keep. I would have liked to have made more posts as I went along, but I've felt next to no motivation unfortunately.

Griffith said:
DSII is like some officially branded but licensed generic version of Dark Souls; it's trying to copy it, but it doesn't directly, everything is sorta different, yet it's frustratingly trying to parallel, connect, or at least bend toward some continuity that isn't really there (it's like they tried to make it fit with Dark Souls after the fact when they were really doing something else from the start). It also doesn't have the weird lore or the fascinating, interconnected world and environments to fill you with the same dread and whimsy (it's more like any generic fantasy game). On the other hand, it's actually got it's own thing going on and trying something a little different, plus it's HUGE, it's like Dark Souls ad infinitum and you can summon so many people it's ridiculous: Dark Souls the MMO. :ganishka:

Funny because my exact words were 'Discount Souls'. The only times the game is difficult for me is those treacherous i-frames acting a fool. Other than that, the only times I've died were from my own impatience or making a stupid mistake. The bosses are just plain simple. I guess you could factor in my playing Demon's Souls and Dark Souls before. But honestly as long as you're not walking around thinking your decisions have no consequences you'll be alright. I've watched videos of players walking around like dorks thinking they can play this game like your typical 'Beat'em Up!', and it's just silly. The thing you need to understand about the games is that everything you do has consequences. Once you've learned that, your mind is opened enough to fear, and as a result survive.

I really wish I could make a post and just rant about the things I liked, but I'm really at a loss. Playing this game just feels like I'm going through the motions. Having instances of satisfaction while killing enemies is few and far between. I don't even feel good vanquishing the bosses, I almost feel dirty because of how easy they went down. But I digress. I'll check back in after I've reached the end of the game I suppose.

Griffith

ThePiedPiper said:
I would have liked to have made more posts as I went along, but I've felt next to no motivation unfortunately.
ThePiedPiper said:
I really wish I could make a post and just rant about the things I liked, but I'm really at a loss. Playing this game just feels like I'm going through the motions. Having instances of satisfaction while killing enemies is few and far between. I don't even feel good vanquishing the bosses, I almost feel dirty because of how easy they went down. But I digress.

Ah, someone's having fun! See, it's actually the most punishing Souls game ever, but this one won't test your skills, no, it's far worse, it attacks the mind! Forget being so mad that you had a bad beat against an insane boss and you broke your controller; Dark Souls II will cause you no less than an existential crisis where you question the meaning of it all! :guts:

ThePiedPiper said:
Funny because my exact words were 'Discount Souls'. The only times the game is difficult for me is those treacherous i-frames acting a fool. Other than that, the only times I've died were from my own impatience or making a stupid mistake. The bosses are just plain simple. I guess you could factor in my playing Demon's Souls and Dark Souls before.

It's also a clear case of quantity over quality; Dark Souls II has a ton of environments and enemies, bosses, armors, weapons etc. but a lot of it is very forgettable; whereas Dark Souls I's and III's experiences have a much more crafted focus (for comparison Dark Souls II has like 40 bosses compared around half that in the other two games; so, there's some good ones in there, but they sure all ain't great). It's partly a matter of taste, sometimes I do like how big and open DSII is, especially compared to III, and there's no shortage of shit to do. Hell, despite my own bustin' on it here I'm also playing it right now! :ganishka:

Griffith said:
See, it's actually the most punishing Souls game ever, but this one won't test your skills, no, it's far worse, it attacks the mind! Forget being so mad that you had a bad beat against an insane boss and you broke your controller; Dark Souls II will cause you no less than an existential crisis where you question the meaning of it all! :guts:

I can definitely agree with that lol xD it's strange, I actually felt a little bit of resolution about my feelings for this game yesterday: you are a cursed soul in the game and in the experience itself. You must fight, and journey, and fight to the point of fatigue and beyond; never getting respite or the resounding sense of accomplishment you would get in other games. Part of that satisfying feeling I got in the previous games wasn't just because it was a tough struggle, but that I strongly felt the game would consistently deliver amazing experiences. When I would take down truly tough enemies, I would feel a rush because I knew something even more terrible is still waiting for me out there somewhere.

Griffith said:
It's also a clear case of quantity over quality; Dark Souls II has a ton of environments and enemies, bosses, armors, weapons etc. but a lot of it is very forgettable; whereas Dark Souls I's and III's experiences have a much more crafted focus (for comparison Dark Souls II has like 40 bosses compared around half that in the other two games; so, there's some good ones in there, but they sure all ain't great). It's partly a matter of taste, sometimes I do like how big and open DSII is, especially compared to III, and there's no shortage of shit to do. Hell, despite my own bustin' on it here I'm also playing it right now! :ganishka:

Yeah, with this game it just feels like a boss rush with enemies in between. I'm pleased to have conformed perfectly to the 'movement' and combat system; I've done so to the point of being completely comfortable, and confident. Most of the time I don't even need to prepare for fights, and can take them down in one try. Some of the time I don't even need to heal myself. None of the time do I feel the boss is an adequately challenging opponent.

Rat authority, for example, is poor man's Sif with tiny minions. Skeleton lords were just Nito fanboys trying to play at war. Old Iron King was just a big dunce flamer with great abs. And I can't think of a bigger joke than The Rotten and the Lost Sinner, given that they're in the way of their corresponding primal bonfires. If you can't run behind the boss or stay underfoot, you're just dodging highly telegraphed moves. Most bosses severely lack punishment. The only bosses that stuck out to me was the Pursuer and the '3 bosses' boss in the Lost Bastille. I was able to catch a thrill when fighting those, because I was low level and they made me really fight for my life while fighting them. I was so upset I missed fighting the Pursuer in his small appearance. I saw him getting dropped off by his falcon, but I went back down the ladder because I wanted to heal up due to my health being low and having no healing materials.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I don't disagree with everything being said about DS2, but there are a few great, memorable setpiece moments. In particular, one in the rain, and one in a tomb.

I don't think I've been in a tomb.. I've certainly not seen rain in the game. I thought the use of fog in the Shaded Woods was awesome, for a couple of reasons. It hadn't been done before, it added a new element to the mix, similar to DS1's Tomb of the Giants in that you didn't know what you were fighting or where they were. It shook things up from the norm of seeing enemies from the distance and planning your attack.

As of having all primal bonfires lit (and not knowing where the hell to go from here, lel): the fog, the pursuer, the gyrms are my favorite things about the game. The forest of the giants is my second favorite level after the small Shaded Woods bit.

Walter said:
I don't disagree with everything being said about DS2, but there are a few great, memorable setpiece moments. In particular, one in the rain, and one in a tomb.

Those are definitely two of the better fights in the game, though my personal favorite took place in a swamp.
I guess it helps it was a welcome break from all the oversized knights.

Griffith

ThePiedPiper said:
it's strange, I actually felt a little bit of resolution about my feelings for this game yesterday: you are a cursed soul in the game and in the experience itself. You must fight, and journey, and fight to the point of fatigue and beyond; never getting respite or the resounding sense of accomplishment you would get in other games.

Welcome to the DSII secret love/hate club!

The only bosses that stuck out to me was the Pursuer and the '3 bosses' boss in the Lost Bastille. I was able to catch a thrill when fighting those, because I was low level and they made me really fight for my life while fighting them.

Yeah, those are definitely ones that stay with you; those Ruin Sentinels could be quite a pain in the ass if you don't take care in dispatching them. I also want to give props to The Last Giant, not hard or anything by Souls standards, but on scale alone a fittingly impressive start to me for a game famous for its bosses. I thought it looked more like what should be the final boss than the first. =)

Walter said:

Looking Glass Knight and Velstadt & Vendrick (or the undead chariot)?
I'd also add the proceeding areas
, Aldia's Keep, Dragon Aerie, and Dragon Shrine,
as pretty awe-inspiring. The DLCs are also massive and impressive and like separate game worlds unto themselves (they're much better than the vanilla game).

ThePiedPiper said:
I thought the use of fog in the Shaded Woods was awesome, for a couple of reasons. It hadn't been done before, it added a new element to the mix, similar to DS1's Tomb of the Giants in that you didn't know what you were fighting or where they were. It shook things up from the norm of seeing enemies from the distance and planning your attack.

Agreed, and of course I saw it before the Tomb of the Giants and was all the more impressed/dismayed. Then I saw the Tomb of the Giants itself and it was no less... :magni:

Anyway, if I was going to write a defense of DS2 based on its virtues, besides its aforementioned unconquerable massiveness, it would be that it's ultimately very much "a player's game" specifically for DS nerds (why I keep coming back), and an attempt to make a fully customizble DS experience with tons of variability and options.
The character creation and leveling is much less powerful (endurance and weight ratio separated; that carried over to 3 :mozgus:) and you essentially start out broken compared to DS1 or 3, but you can also tweak your character like never before, right down to the iframe or distance of rolls. There's also hundreds of weapons and playstyles, multiple ways to dual wield with powerstance (which DS3 is worse off for missing), yet they're all legitimately viable and relatively balanced without feeling like you're handicapped using, or not using, a specific weapon, weapon type, or style (I started as a dual wielding swordsman, tried being a hexer, and ultimately settled on being a smasher with great hammers or UGS).
As for gameplay and combat, another unique wrinkle is enemies actually stop respawning if you kill them enough, so you can clear an area if you want, but you can also cancel that out and even disable summoning if you prefer by joining one of the many, actually consequential, covenants. Summoning and online play is also greatly expanded and improved (5 phantoms in regular DS2 is wild) and the unique combat variations give it life to this day (I'm still invaded or duel regularly with always entertaining results =).
The fast travel system, while removing the harrowing survival-travel of the original, is probably the best in the series and ties into perhaps the coolest feature: Bonfire Ascetics, which can be burned not only to completely respawn an area, boss, items and all, but upgrade it to the next level of NG+! This is endlessly useful for replaying bosses, getting NG+ only items, farming, or playing NG+ ala carte without having to start over if you just want to play a certain area right away in your current game for whatever reason. And NG+ itself is better too with not only more powerful items and enemies but with areas redone with new, more challenging enemy placement and more NPC invaders, so it better lives up to the "New Game Plus" moniker.
So, while it may be less than the sum of its parts and the worst Dark Souls, it somehow simultaneously has all the best unique features and innovations, ones the other games, even those that came after, are lacking.

Zurth

ベルセルク
I think that DSII in a vacuum is a really good game, the main problem with it is that it lives in the towering shadow of (far?) greater games.

Top Bottom