Live action Berserk?

Interesting names attached to this unconfirmed piece of news. Wasn't sure where to post this, feel free to move the topic Admins.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3273791/berserk-gets-oliver-stone-refn-and-gans/

Jonny B. just pointed me to an eyebrow-raising new title in pre-production for a 2017 release.

Entitled Berserk, the horror/action/adventure is an adaptation of the popular Manga series written and illustrated by Kentaro Miura.

According to IMDB (who can never be trusted – thus, this is unconfirmed), the feature film adaptation will include this massive list of directors: Christophe Gans (Silent Hill, Brotherhood of the Wolf ), Oliver Stone (JFK, Platoon, Natural Born Killers) and Nicolas Winding Refn (Only God Forgives, Drive, Bronson)!

In the adaptation, “The Epic of Guts, a dangerous barbarian who joins forces with a mercenary group named ‘The Band of the Hawk’, lead by the charismatic Griffith, and fights with them as they battle their way into the royal court and their final doom.”

Stuart Beattie (I, Frankenstein, 30 Days of Night, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl) worked on the screenplay.

Expect casting news shortly.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
"According to IMDB" :ganishka: If you'd like, you can create "news" like this yourself with a simple account on IMDB. Seriously, it's just bullshit...

Also worth noting, its page on IMDB was removed earlier today, confirming its bogus status. Here's the cached version for anyone interested in a laugh.

Whoever was stupid enough to try and fake it even put a running time down—for a movie slated to come out in 2017. Imagine the hypothetical talks for this movie behind the scene: "We don't have a budget, a production company or a cast but... it's gotta be 216 minutes!"

And calling Guts a barbarian... shameful... :azan:

K

krzykoopa

Walter said:
"According to IMDB" :ganishka: If you'd like, you can create "news" like this yourself with a simple account on IMDB. Seriously, it's just bullshit...

Also worth noting, its page on IMDB was removed earlier today, confirming its bogus status. Here's the cached version for anyone interested in a laugh.

Whoever was stupid enough to try and fake it even put a running time down—for a movie slated to come out in 2017. Imagine the hypothetical talks for this movie behind the scene: "We don't have a budget, a production company or a cast but... it's gotta be 216 minutes!"

And calling Guts a barbarian... shameful... :azan:

I feel better knowing it was fake

Yeah... I dont know what to feel about Berserk being made live action style at all (ever, pretty much). Its bad enough it got as far as an anime trilogy. And tbh those names dont really impress me. On the other hand I cant imagine what name actually would impress me for a project such as this. I´d be scared shitless of the result either way.

Oh yeah, someone mentioned Del Toro/P Jackson, right? Well, thats gotta be the nearest you can get to half-decent for the job, this far at least. Anyone else? (just for shits...)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hanma_Baki said:
Oh yeah, someone mentioned Del Toro/P Jackson, right? Well, thats gotta be the nearest you can get to half-decent for the job, this far at least. Anyone else? (just for shits...)

You know what? I don't think these guys would do a half-decent job. In fact I'd be hard-pressed to find someone who would.

For series like these, I hope holywood keeps its dirty paws off Berserk.
Instead of making some "old boy remake" out of it. To sell to a "wider audience"
A quest of - "A Barbarian fights against the odds"

It would be very hard to keep Berserk as gory as it is, and as dark as it is, if it went to live action, for a big studio project. The battle scenes would be pure bad CGI.

K

krzykoopa

Sankari said:
For series like these, I hope holywood keeps its dirty paws off Berserk.
Instead of making some "old boy remake" out of it. To sell to a "wider audience"
A quest of - "A Barbarian fights against the odds"

It would be very hard to keep Berserk as gory as it is, and as dark as it is, if it went to live action, for a big studio project. The battle scenes would be pure bad CGI.

This

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
They couldn't even do an animated version that was faithful. Imagine a live-action version...

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
I think the best they could do is create one of those one shots, like we've seen with Punisher and Venom, but with Guts and Puck. Maybe the scene where he meets Isidro or somethin. Like 10 minutes long at the most.
Be careful what you wish for :ganishka: http://vimeo.com/2740962

Deci

Walter said:
Be careful what you wish for :ganishka: http://vimeo.com/2740962

Saw that a long time ago and while I applaud the effort... just, no. I meant like one of those one-shots, guess I should have specified not one with World of Warcraft music in the background. -_- I added the Isidoro meeting Guts instance because I'd like it to be faithful to the series as well if possible, though it's hard to think of a good scene for just a 10 minute video.

That's entering me into what one of the big problems with a Berserk movie of any kind faces, which is trying to accurately convey just exactly what Berserk is in it's entirety. Sure it's dark and gory, but it's also pretty damn funny and touching. It has everything, you leave out something that one team of artists deems unimportant and suddenly you lose a part of what makes Berserk, Berserk.

The scope is just too large to ever be done satisfyingly in a movie format in my opinion. The only time I'd support the notion is if Muira himself was at the helm, and for all I know he might suck at making movies so perhaps it's best left as it is.

Another medium it might do okay in is the Music Video format. The one after the end of the Descent was pretty cool imo.

Antonius Block

We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god.
Maxwell said:
Live action Berserk movie? There's only one man for the job...

George Lucas. :griffnotevil:

You've got to be kidding me...

I'm with the general consensus in terms of Berserk should never be made into a film, but if I had a choose a Director it would be either Terrence Malik or Alejandro Jodorowsky. Malik because he knows how to make epic features and Jodorowsky because he is twisted as all hell...

Top Bottom