European influences in Berserk

Well this is my first post as a new member of this community, which I am very pleased to be a part of!
Recently I have been researching religious European wars because I was intrigued with studying how Miura-san formulates plot devices. I happened to stumble upon the Thirty years war hanging, which resembles the tree guts was found by as a baby. I was wondering if there are other similarities in Berserk that are tied as close together as these. Thank you! :guts:

The_Hanging_by_Jacques_Callot.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Sir Schraffl said:
I was wondering if there are other similarities in Berserk that are tied as close together as these.

Hi and welcome to the community.

Miura freely borrows elements from folklore or historical events in order to add depth or a sense of realism (or just coolness) to the story. There are quite a few examples, most notably when it comes to names (Tudor, the Hundred-Years' War, Kushans, the Holy See, etc.).

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
In addition to the historical aspects Miura draws from for Berserk, you should also consider the artistic influences. Just look up etchings of Gustave Doré or Jacuqes Callot (who did the engraving image you posted). Sometimes it's subtle, but you can definitely see some of their ideas bleeding into Berserk.

There's a 2 page spread in one of the later manga's where the "wind" is covering the earth. Looking at the shape of the countries it pretty much looks like western Europe.

Volume 34 page 124. You can see the british isles and the western edge of france. In my eyes anyway

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Bramwell said:
There's a 2 page spread in one of the later manga's where the "wind" is covering the earth. Looking at the shape of the countries it pretty much looks like western Europe.

Volume 34 page 124. You can see the british isles and the western edge of france. In my eyes anyway

Yep, we talked about it when it was first unveiled 5 years ago: http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=10381.msg170647#msg170647

I don't think that's what this thread's creator had in mind though.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Yep, we talked about it when it was first unveiled 5 years ago: http://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?topic=10381.msg170647#msg170647

Jesus, it's been 5 years already? Time sure flies...

Top Bottom