The voice of the IoE?

How does the voice of the IoE sound in your head? Do you ascribe it a deep, masculine, and resonant voice or perhaps something a little more androgynous? I'm curious to know what you think.

more like an masculine voice with an little echo haha

btw, wouldnt this fit more into Berserk Miscellaneous, since it isnt really a theory... ? :void:

TheWillOfT said:
more like an masculine voice with an little echo haha

btw, wouldnt this fit more into Berserk Miscellaneous, since it isnt really a theory... ? :void:

Don't really see why. It's a theoretical question.

Deci

I don't really hear the voices in my head when I read but I imagine it sounding gender-neutral and definitely psychic in nature. Emotionless.

btw, wouldnt this fit more into Berserk Miscellaneous, since it isnt really a theory... ?

:troll:

This could fit in a couple different places easily including this one, having a theory isn't required. Simply discussing possibilities about things works.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It's a pleasing voice, but deep and resonant.

Not canon obviously, but we do hear its voice in the anime, as Griffith sinks into the abyss.

Walter said:
Not canon obviously, but we do hear its voice in the anime, as Griffith sinks into the abyss.

Isn't it Griffith's own voice he hears talking back to him?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Doc said:
Isn't it Griffith's own voice he hears talking back to him?

Not when the beherit shapes begin rising.

I haven't seen the anime in about 10 years, but pretty sure I'm right.

Walter said:
Not when the beherit shapes begin rising.

I haven't seen the anime in about 10 years, but pretty sure I'm right.

I'm fairly sure that's Morikawa's voice, Walter. Albeit an octave deeper and more authoritative.

It's worth noting that the English dub also uses Griffith's voice actor for that scene.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Doc said:
I'm fairly sure that's Morikawa's voice, Walter. Albeit an octave deeper and more authoritative.

It's worth noting that the English dub also uses Griffith's voice actor for that scene.

I'm at an airport and can't check right now. Perhaps you're confusing which precise scene I mean. I'm talking about the events at the end of Episode 82 as portrayed in the anime. It makes utterly no sense for Griffith to be explaining the workings of the abyss to himself.

Walter said:
I'm at an airport and can't check right now. Perhaps you're confusing which precise scene I mean. I'm talking about the events at the end of Episode 82 as portrayed in the anime. It makes utterly no sense for Griffith to be explaining the workings of the abyss to himself.

I think we're on the same page. The whole 'Last tear you ever shed...' part with the behelits rising to the surface? That's definitely Griffith's voice speaking, whether it makes sense or not.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I was resourceful enough even stuck at an airport terminal to find the clip we're talking about. It starts as Griffith, then a new voice begins talking. They're having a conversation. The same as in the manga. The one who says "yobimizu" is not Griffith.

Even if it's billed as Morikawa, he's affecting a different tone, and speaking as a different character. The scene doesn't make any sense otherwise.

To be completely honest, I don't think such a conversation could be explained by the concept of a voice, or even words, even if it is in the manga.

If anyone has ever had a mild psychedelic experience (with no sensory hallucinations), then I think you know what I'm relating to. I think a communication with a being on a higher plane, or in a higher consciousness, real or not (but the experience of it is real, at least we know that) is almost a telepathic one, but SO MUCH MORE complete than communication with words. I understand it sounds very stupid expressed like this, but just take my word for it. And that's basically how I imagined the communication with the IoE in the deleted episode.. it's very hard to try to relate that type of communication to what a regular human consciousness experiences, but I would say it would be like sending thoughts to eachother, instead of using strange sounds or words to represent the thoughts.

Walter said:
I was resourceful enough even stuck at an airport terminal to find the clip we're talking about. It starts as Griffith, then a new voice begins talking. They're having a conversation. The same as in the manga. The one who says "yobimizu" is not Griffith.

Even if it's billed as Morikawa, he's affecting a different tone, and speaking as a different character. The scene doesn't make any sense otherwise.

Unless, of course, the IoE assumes the voice of the subject it's communicating with? Given the whole existential nature of the IoE and Griffith's metamorphism, and how they could've cast just about anyone in that role, there appears to be a deliberate conceit here by utilizing the same voice actor as Griffith.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It was a decision by the casting company for an anime, likely on a tight budget. Why make this more than it is?

Have any of you ever experienced aural hypnagogic hallucinations, or heard voices while you are drifting off into sleep? I imagine IoE sounding like that. The voice would not be physical, but rather one you feel inside your head. Since IoE is a creation of humanity, I also imagine the voice sounding like many humans speaking at once.

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword
Gummyskull said:
The voice would not be physical, but rather one you feel inside your head. Since IoE is a creation of humanity, I also imagine the voice sounding like many humans speaking at once.

Beat me to the punch. I usually always imagine gods or extremely powerful beings speaking with multiple voices at the same time.

Walter said:
It was a decision by the casting company for an anime, likely on a tight budget. Why make this more than it is?

Because this is the speculation section and it's the only point of reference we actually have?

Anyway, you brought it up. :iva:

TerrorA

I am the Knight
Mammon said:

You know, like when he talks, you hear this deep, booming echo, but in the background you hear people screaming in pain and fear....

Like you know how Broly's power up scream was a mix of maniacal laughing and a baby wailing? That. Times 100

Mammon

Mangoku army
TerrorA said:
You know, like when he talks, you hear this deep, booming echo, but in the background you hear people screaming in pain and fear....

Griffith didn't seem freaked out when they had their conversation in the lost chapter. You really "hear" that in your head when you read the manga? Must be awkward.

TerrorA

I am the Knight
Mammon said:
Griffith didn't seem freaked out when they had their conversation in the lost chapter. You really "hear" that in your head when you read the manga? Must be awkward.

Guess that's what I imagine a Eldritch Abomination made of Evil to sound like.

Jarome

The Destroyer Of Worlds
krzykoopa said:
Same voice that starts the anime "in this world is the destiny..." thats my IOE voice in my head
I thought the same too, a deep, slow-paced grimmy voice...

But some other users prefered it'd be multiple voices from different people, all in the same being (ala Gantz), that works too

Mammon

Mangoku army
krzykoopa said:
Same voice that starts the anime "in this world is the destiny..." thats my IOE voice in my head

By the way, unless I'm mistaken that is Void's voice.

Top Bottom