Do you think Casca will be cured soon?

jackson_hurley

even the horses are cut in half!
Delta Phi said:
Agreed. I'm really hoping for something a little more involved that some fairy dust. I hadn't even considered Guts possibly having to dive into her psyche to bring her back, but that would be pretty incredible if it ends up going that direction.

Yes! That'd be something quite interesting to see. And I have not thought about that before I saw that possibility in one of the thread (sorry I don't remember who mentioned it :( )

Do you think that The King of the Flower Storm has some very powerful dust that can treat the mind or might more than elf dust be involved? Like maybe some of the wizards that populate are will come together to help. Just throwing out some points to discuss.

Not to suggest I know best what is good for the story but elf dust being the solution would annoy me. After all this time, all the pain that was caused, for some magic user to just sprinkle his stuff over her head seems very anti-climactic (it also seems unrealistic from within the story, I think). Sure, it might involve elf dust but that can't be it. :daiba:
The idea of Guts diving into her mind appeals to me. If not that, then something else that involves Guts. Don't make me feel like their connection does not have anything to do with bringing her back, I think their love for each other seems like the only chance and anything else would feel a little unsatisfying. Just my 2 cents. :griffnotevil:

You know Alucroas, if you just re-read the manga again I'm sure you will find a lot of the answers that you are looking for, and I think you are misunderstanding some of the characters thought process and motivations like others have said, so it would help.

Anywho, I was thinking, how much of Guts past with Casca do you think he's told his comrades up until this point? I'm wondering if we are going to get a scene in Elfhelm down the road where he talks to everyone about the eclipse and other events, or if some of that has already happened behind the scenes.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Tama said:
Anywho, I was thinking, how much of Guts past with Casca do you think he's told his comrades up until this point? I'm wondering if we are going to get a scene in Elfhelm down the road where he talks to everyone about the eclipse and other events, or if some of that has already happened behind the scenes.

I don't believe Guts has told them anything at this point, we'd have seen it otherwise. Not to mention that their attitude and comments in various scenes show their ignorance on the matter. However I'm sure it'll happen while they're in Elfhelm.

I hear ya. I've worried about it occasionally, too, but I think once Casca is able to rationally think she'll be far more understanding.

I've wondered about this, how exactly would Guts explain himself over assaulting her after the incident where the bandits tried to rape her? The incident where Guts gets possesed and tries to strangle her he can explain away because, well he got possesed. And the incidents where he had to tie her up and lead her on a leash he can explain (and hopefully Casca will be able to objectively evalulate his reasons for doing what he did) because it was necessary to keep her from running off in order to keep her alive. He can even explain away and hopefully even gain her sympathy and feelings of guilt over smacking her away from him when she tried to take his dagger to free herself (which resulted in her getting a bleeding lip on page 44 and 45) because he was under sleep deprived stress from watching over her in their dire situation and he had a knee jerk reaction to her trying to get away. But the actual assualt where he pins her down and forces himself on her (kissing her against her will) and biting her breast, which was clearly sexual--how does he explain himself in this scene where she would understand? He was not necessarily possessed in this scene since it has been established that his beast is a personfication of his own self (his dark frustrations from the eclipse), so it was him that was assaulting her. Given the fact she went insane to begin with by being full on raped by someone she loved and trusted, what excuse could Guts give to Casca for nearly doing the same thing to her? Yes he has done alot for her before and after that incident but given her abuse at Griffith's hands and how it destroyed her but some how I think this is going to be viewed as a betrayal almost as bad as Griffiths. How would this work out? I don't think a mere verbal explaination of Guts's beast would be enough for Casca to look past that.

Also slightly off topic, but is it reasonable to think that Casca will remember her son (or even giving birth to it) while sane? Before the eclipse Guts and Casca made love the day before everything happened. Waaaay too early by human standards for her to become aware of being with child, and a few days after the eclipse she gives birth to it (born early because it was tainted by Griffith's seed) and in her altered state understands its her child and tries to nurture it. And all times afterwards when she encounters it she recognizes her child and wants to mother it/him. But when she gets her senses back will she remember any of this? Will the fact she gave birth to Guts and her child early and the child was corrupted be something she remembers or even on her radar? If this is the case do you think Guts would bother to tell her about it? I just wonder if she forgets about those events while in altered state of mind how she would react if the moon child appears before her with her restored sanity.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Patou244 said:
I've wondered about this, how exactly would Guts explain himself over assaulting her after the incident where the bandits tried to rape her?

Given the overall circumstances, it isn't sure he will have to "explain himself" regarding every specific incident.

Patou244 said:
which resulted in her getting a bleeding lip on page 44 and 45

It's more of a bruise than a bleeding lip. He cut his hand with the dagger as well.

Patou244 said:
But the actual assualt where he pins her down and forces himself on her (kissing her against her will) and biting her breast, which was clearly sexual--how does he explain himself in this scene where she would understand?

Sexual frustration upon seeing her exhibit a behavior that evoked her former self.

Patou244 said:
Also slightly off topic, but is it reasonable to think that Casca will remember her son (or even giving birth to it) while sane? [...] If this is the case do you think Guts would bother to tell her about it?

It's hard to say for sure. I think she might not retain the same level of instinctive knowledge, but still feel a connexion to him if he were to manifest. Also, assuming she did not remember everything, I believe it would be difficult for Guts to broach the subject but that he would, sooner or later.

I have not had a chance to read this entire thread, I do have some opinions on it but I do not have time to go in depth with them but to answer the general question at hand I am skeptical Casca will be "healed" in the manner many of you are expecting her to be. People on here are expecting miracles when the crew gets to elfhelm and I say, don't hold your breath. Personally I think it would be silly if Casca is cured of her trauma so easily through magic. ALso Miura seems to be pointing in a direction that all is not going to go according to plan when it comes to Casca's restoration, even Guts seems to be skeptical of this and seems to be resigning to that as a possibility. I have more to say about this but the short answer to my opinion on this is that: Casca might return to a lucid state but I don't think she will necessarily be "cured" the way you guys hope she will be.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Heavenly Maiden said:
I am skeptical Casca will be "healed" in the manner many of you are expecting her to be. People on here are expecting miracles when the crew gets to elfhelm and I say, don't hold your breath. Personally I think it would be silly if Casca is cured of her trauma so easily through magic.

Yes, instead of her being healed, they'll have traveled there for 15+ volumes in order for the King of the Flower Storm, renowned as a very powerful being and leader of the elves (creatures whose curative powers are definitely miraculous in general), to tell them it's just not possible. That won't be silly at all!

Heavenly Maiden said:
ALso Miura seems to be pointing in a direction that all is not going to go according to plan when it comes to Casca's restoration, even Guts seems to be skeptical of this and seems to be resigning to that as a possibility.

You're finding skepticism where there is none and forgetting facts in your eagerness to do so. Remember that the single time there was a hint that Casca's desires might not align with Guts' was right after the Skull Knight told him that she might get cured in Elfhelm.

Heavenly Maiden said:
I have more to say about this but the short answer to my opinion on this is that: Casca might return to a lucid state but I don't think she will necessarily be "cured" the way you guys hope she will be.

How about you do say more about this? Because I don't see what you mean. Return to a lucid state but not be cured? That's not really possible.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
rashikal said:
does anyone know why casca makes funny faces at roderick? lol

I'd like to help, but did you have a specific page in mind...? Also, I'd appreciate a little more effort in your post quality in the future.

While it'd make for a funny gag comic, I can't realistically see the group finally reaching Elfhelm only to have Skull Knight and King of the Flower Storm waiting to say "PHYCH!".

Ultimately of course it is up to Miura to decide where his story goes, but for him to have Casca be cured only to return to her previous state/ not be cured at all throws out so many interesting plot developments.

Casca no doubt suffered through an unimaginably traumatic event. There isn't a real world counterpart to her condition, but it resembles a mix of rape trauma syndrome/Severe PTSD, and a dissociative fugue. These are all conditions that can be alleviated through proper treatment. Real survivors of rape may carry the aftermath of their abuse for the rest of their life, but this doesn't mean that they will never be unable go on living.
My point is that Casca needs to face what happened at the eclipse, her miscarrage, and all the other rape attempts and cope with them. While Guts rape is nothing in comparison to what Casca went though, he was able to to (mostly) recover from it. Why wouldn't Casca be able to do the same? It's easy to forget right now, but she is a strong character.

This is complete speculation on my part ( as in I don't have anything to support it ), but she could have been pushed into her current state and be trapped there. The King of the Flower Storm's "cure" may be only pulling her out of this, allowing her to deal with the trauma on her own. I have no doubt she'll continue to have PTSD similar to Guts, but at least she'll be sane.

What has kept me reading thorough Berserk despite all the instances of sexual assault is how Miura realistically depicts them. I can't think of other mangaka that address that rape is extremely traumatic and survivors experience lasting psychological distress. I'm wary of holding the pessimistic opinion that Casca will never be sane again based on how Miura has previously dealt with the issue.

Aazealh said:
I wouldn't say that.
I felt that way because Casca was raped by one of the most important people in her life. But I overlooked that Guts was sold out by Gambino. So now that I think about it, it really is comparable.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gummyskull said:
I felt that way because Casca was raped by one of the most important people in her life. But I overlooked that Guts was sold out by Gambino. So now that I think about it, it really is comparable.

Well, I think there are more parameters than that (like age or setting), but generally-speaking I'm just not comfortable with establishing "degrees of rape" where one could be said to be "nothing" in comparison to another one. I think both cases were pretty horrible in their own right.

Aazealh said:
Well, I think there are more parameters than that (like age or setting), but generally-speaking I'm just not comfortable with establishing "degrees of rape" where one could be said to be "nothing" in comparison to another one. I think both cases were pretty horrible in their own right.

Yeah it's pretty distasteful, and bad point of view on my part.
I should know better than to throw around degrees of trauma like there is some sort of sliding scale :azan:.

Walter said:
I'd like to help, but did you have a specific page in mind...? Also, I'd appreciate a little more effort in your post quality in the future.

Sorry. It's from volume 30. I'm currently re-reading the manga and I was confused by Casca's reaction to Roderick as she really doesn't act like this towards anyone else:

b0cd85d76cf40cf4888d9e0d3d0262e4.png

9c38bf9abe22034d5437c5ebbade159f.png

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think it has any special significance. She's just reacting to someone new.

Yes i think Casca will be cured.

I'm also another fan of Aaz's idea of Guts delving into Casca's mind, that'd be really interesting.

I really can't help but think we'll see that inside Casca's mind she's experiencing something not exact but similar to what happened to Griffith at the lake before the eclipse. In her own reality and inside her mind everything is happy and pretty perfect. The eclipse never happened, Guts never left, and Griffith became king of Midland and attained his dream. I think it'd be quite an emotional experience for Guts to delve into her mind and have his eye and left arm back and be put into that kind of fantasy world that he knows isn't real but that she made up to block all of the horrible things that happened at the eclipse. It'd be heart breaking.

I kind of imagine a scene where the Falcons (well Corkus, Judeau, Pippin and Gaston) are with Casca and Guts having a good time (well everyone except Guts) and they're waiting for Griffith to arrive. While they're waiting Guts tells Casca that she needs to come back, come back to reality and she has no idea what he's talking about and doesn't wanna go and Guts grabs her with his left arm and she looks down and realizes that its mechanical and as she looks up at him she sees his eye missing and she looks at the others and they're all their post-Occultation Ceremony selves, mangled up and everything. Griffith appears, no longer the king of Midland in her mind but as his true self, Femto and all her memories come rushing back to her in a fierce way but Guts is there to comfort and reassure her that everything is okay and she wakes up in Elfhelm back to her sane self, opening her eyes up at Guts.

It'd also give Miura a chance to draw the Falcons in his current up to date art style again. We could see a little bit of young Rickert and Pippin, Corkus with all the ladies living up life, Judeau.. doing things, and maybe even Gaston's shop. :???:

Yeah.. sorry i went a little fanfic there and im probably blowing it way out of proportion, but what do you guys think the experience would be like?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
rashikal said:
Sorry. It's from volume 30. I'm currently re-reading the manga and I was confused by Casca's reaction to Roderick as she really doesn't act like this towards anyone else

She's wary of men in general, all of them. It's just a reflection of that.

Maxwell said:
I kind of imagine a scene where the Falcons (well Corkus, Judeau, Pippin and Gaston) are with Casca and Guts having a good time (well everyone except Guts) and they're waiting for Griffith to arrive. While they're waiting Guts tells Casca that she needs to come back, come back to reality and she has no idea what he's talking about and doesn't wanna go and Guts grabs her with his left arm and she looks down and realizes that its mechanical and as she looks up at him she sees his eye missing and she looks at the others and they're all their post-Occultation Ceremony selves, mangled up and everything. Griffith appears, no longer the king of Midland in her mind but as his true self, Femto and all her memories come rushing back to her in a fierce way but Guts is there to comfort and reassure her that everything is okay and she wakes up in Elfhelm back to her sane self, opening her eyes up at Guts.

[...] Yeah.. sorry i went a little fanfic there and im probably blowing it way out of proportion, but what do you guys think the experience would be like?

That's an interesting speculation. =) I think it will either go like that or be the opposite: a perpetual nightmare.

Aazealh said:
There's no such thing as the "dark realm" or the "dark abyss realm". As for Casca's condition being supernatureral... It could be, but nothing has alluded to it so far in the series. Rather, the fact she has flashbacks when confronted to similar situations and that she did manage to kill some bandits in volume 23 is more a hint that it's psychological in nature to me.

I have question, why does Casca only have flash backs of the demons attacking her when she is sexually assaulted instead of Femto? Femto is the one that actually raped Casca so why does she never have a flash back to that particular incident when she is being molested? Does this imply that the demons raped her too? Because i've always assumed Femto was the only one to actually rape her (I imagine she would be torn to pieces if the other demons got to her first). This has been confusing me.

MrMehawk said:
The idea of Guts diving into her mind appeals to me. If not that, then something else that involves Guts. Don't make me feel like their connection does not have anything to do with bringing her back, I think their love for each other seems like the only chance and anything else would feel a little unsatisfying.

Except there is no connection between Guts and Casca at this point. Or rather it is one sided on Guts part. The story has put alot of emphasis on Casca being distrustful and hateful of Guts while she is insane, I can't imagine Miura has put so much emphasis on this aspect of their relationship arbitrarily. At this point they do not have connection. :judo:

Patou244 said:
Some how think, due to their feelings for Guts that Farnese and Schierke would not be a benefit in a situation meant to restore the love of Guts's life. Schierke may have her emotions in check but Farnese is another story.

What are you implying here? that Farnese would some how try to sabotage Casca's healing if she were present because of her crush on Guts? I do not think Farnese is quite such a bitch as that to do that.

Aazealh said:
I don't believe Guts has told them anything at this point, we'd have seen it otherwise.

Do you think Casca will end up being the one to actually tell them what has happened in their past? At the very least it might serve as a good conversation starter when Casca comes back... :ganishka:

Aazealh said:
Sexual frustration upon seeing her exhibit a behavior that evoked her former self.

hm, are you sure that is all there was to it? To me it seemed like there was quite a bit of malice involved when Guts held her down and bit her breast. Think about that for a moment...he bit her breast, that is sign of serious degradation and annoyance toward the female form. it made me think that Guts deep down hates Casca especially if he would abuse her in such a sexualized manner, knowing she has been brutalized already by Femto.

Actually this whole incident where Guts attacks Casca after she kills the bandits is interesting. Is this the only time Casca acts like her old self? Before this incisdent happened there seemed to be all these subtle instances where the old Casca would peek out. Like during the conviction arc when Isidro dropped her and she performed some gymnastics on the cliff. Do you think Casca regressed even more into her self after Guts attacked her? When she had hold of that sword it was almost like she remembered she could defend herself and she wasn't helpless and she actually attacked Guts with it. I just find it interesting that Femto brutalizes her and she loses herself but she is still small glimpses of her old self still there. Guts assaults her and she stops even showing slight physical signs of herself like when she was dropped from the cliff. Did guts attack make her regress more?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hot Chic said:
I have question, why does Casca only have flash backs of the demons attacking her when she is sexually assaulted instead of Femto? Femto is the one that actually raped Casca so why does she never have a flash back to that particular incident when she is being molested?

The demons molested her; the bandits/heretics were molested her. Maybe she would have remembered Femto had it come down to rape. Other than that, there's the fact the rape is what made her lose her mind, so those memories might be locked down deep inside her.

Hot Chic said:
Does this imply that the demons raped her too?

I don't think so.

Hot Chic said:
Except there is no connection between Guts and Casca at this point.

Getting her true self back involves connecting to the part of her that knows Guts.

Hot Chic said:
The story has put alot of emphasis on Casca being distrustful and hateful of Guts while she is insane

I don't think it's put that much emphasis on it, honestly. Nor would I say that she's "hateful" of Guts, that seems too strong a word to me.

Hot Chic said:
Do you think Casca will end up being the one to actually tell them what has happened in their past?

It could be. What's sure is that this event, her return, will obligatorily raise questions among the group, questions that will have to be answered. It could be by Guts, Casca, or even bits and pieces from everyone, since most of them have shown some related knowledge, however minor.

Hot Chic said:
hm, are you sure that is all there was to it? To me it seemed like there was quite a bit of malice involved when Guts held her down and bit her breast. Think about that for a moment...he bit her breast, that is sign of serious degradation and annoyance toward the female form. it made me think that Guts deep down hates Casca

First off, please put my line back in its context. That is, check what I was replying to. Second, I think the scene is quite clear as to what happens. Guts yields to his darkest pulsions, which leads to him biting her breast in what I would describe as an instant of madness. His struggle against that part of him, which is personified by the Beast of Darkness, is thoroughly chronicled throughout the manga.

Hot Chic said:
Actually this whole incident where Guts attacks Casca after she kills the bandits is interesting. Is this the only time Casca acts like her old self? Before this incisdent happened there seemed to be all these subtle instances where the old Casca would peek out. Like during the conviction arc when Isidro dropped her and she performed some gymnastics on the cliff.

It's the most striking by far.

Hot Chic said:
Do you think Casca regressed even more into her self after Guts attacked her?

I don't think so.

Top Bottom